Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Rendered it for you.

Be fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Got the "we're funded!" email before the "we're open!" one even came.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

M_Gargantua posted:

Rendered it for you.

Be fire.
lmao, is the idea that you go and get a stick yourself to display

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

They've already crossed 6million.

just shy of 10million now

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

Jesus, maybe I should write a dozen bestselling, incredibly well plotted fantasy novels. Seems like easy money.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

CapnAndy posted:

Jesus, maybe I should write a dozen bestselling, incredibly well plotted fantasy novels. Seems like easy money.

Brandon writes a short novel and gets a multi-million dollar check. Light work.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Brandon writes a short novel and gets a multi-million dollar check. Light work.

To be fair his 'short novels' are longer than most people's regular books. Dawnshard is a 'novella' and was 269 pages/55k words.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Brandon completed two more secret projects while you were writing this post.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

big mean giraffe posted:

To be fair his 'short novels' are longer than most people's regular books. Dawnshard is a 'novella' and was 269 pages/55k words.

If I could, I would place money on him finishing ASOIAF

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Anyways, I am getting through Edgedancer. I like the non-serious tone this book has compared to TWoK and WoR. I just got to Chapter 3. Cool to see Lift navigate through Roshar with Wyndle with her 'Awesomeness.'

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He's said multiple times that he wouldn't because he's a completely wrong fit tonally and that Joe Abercrombie should do it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He'd be awful to finish that series and has said he wouldn't want to.

Honestly I think that series just has too many loose plot threads and it'd be a herculean effort to sort them all at this point let alone wrap them up in a way that fits the GRRM books.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not horny enough for leatherbounds, but another secret project box? Also a Knights Radiant pack? Sold.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ojjeorago posted:

He's said multiple times that he wouldn't because he's a completely wrong fit tonally and that Joe Abercrombie should do it.

I never heard of that. Then again, I’m new to Sanderson so I gotta go back and look at all his memorable quotes or sayings. I have not read anything Joe Abercrombie but judging by his last name, that would be a perfect fit.

big mean giraffe posted:

He'd be awful to finish that series and has said he wouldn't want to.

Honestly I think that series just has too many loose plot threads and it'd be a herculean effort to sort them all at this point let alone wrap them up in a way that fits the GRRM books.

Why the show went south at the end. Can’t do much.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When is the "right time" to take the Knights Radiant quiz? I remember taking it in the past, though I don't know what my results were.

Also, almost done with Edgedancer and Nale is such a good antagonist. There's nothing that makes my blood boil more than people who are super rigid about the law.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

When is the "right time" to take the Knights Radiant quiz? I remember taking it in the past, though I don't know what my results were.

Also, almost done with Edgedancer and Nale is such a good antagonist. There's nothing that makes my blood boil more than people who are super rigid about the law.

I believe it launched with book 3

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

You posted your results here! I think it's probably OK to take it again now if you want, but you just might not totally have a feel for some of the Orders.

Mordiceius posted:

That's interesting. It was first for me.

I took the quiz but didn't read the description, just looked at the list and saved it (and posting it here so I can refer back to it when I finally catch up on SA).

I have no idea what any of that means. I know there's a novella called Edgedancer. That's about it. Those names don't mean anything to me and I didn't read the description of my results, so I look forward to coming back to this someday.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Backer #30647 in for more secret projects and it's well over $11m in the tank now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

You posted your results here! I think it's probably OK to take it again now if you want, but you just might not totally have a feel for some of the Orders.

Hah!

Well it seems like not much has changed.

Guess I'm pretty secure in my order now. And can't say that I'm upset with sharing an order with my favorite character.

Amusingly my two favorite characters end up being both ends of my spectrum.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I never heard of that. Then again, I’m new to Sanderson so I gotta go back and look at all his memorable quotes or sayings. I have not read anything Joe Abercrombie but judging by his last name, that would be a perfect fit.

Abercrombie's stuff is really good too and definitely worth reading when you need a change of pace, although it's quite a bit darker and he doesn't crank them out at the rate Brandon does (although I'm not sure anyone does).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I can't argue being a willshaper since I get it everytime I retake it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ojjeorago posted:

The Expanse guys should do it, they can hit the tone and they write fast.

Also the test is very consistent, I get Truthwatcher with Elsecaller in a close second every time.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Brandon is live doing a thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG85Mpbc8tI

Edit: 631 confirmed to just be the timestamp of when the Secret Project announcement started in the video (in addition to being the 631st video)

Edit2: The Plushies are supposedly around a foot tall, Brandon will show them off next week

Edit3: 2025 late spring/early summer for the ebook/audiobook of Secret Project 5. It's longer than the other SPs, final draft was 120k words

Edit4: Brandon says Secret Project 5 will be the new "furthest in the future" book

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 6, 2024

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

The Expanse guys should do it, they can hit the tone and they write fast.

Also the test is very consistent, I get Truthwatcher with Elsecaller in a close second every time.

The expanse guys are literally absolute fucker’s assistants, or were

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Edit4: Brandon says Secret Project 5 will be the new "furthest in the future" book

SixthOfTheDuskSequelPleaseSixthOfTheDuskSequelPleaseSixthOfTheDuskSequelPleaseSixthOfTheDuskSequelPleaseSixthOfTheDuskSequelPlease

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

What is his aversion to selling things through a regular storefront

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

taco_fox posted:

Why make something and then sell it when you can sell it and then make it.

Dragonsteel does have a regular storefront, and all these books will be on there eventually

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

taco_fox posted:

I can think of about 54 million reasons to do it this way

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

taco_fox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFP5ieFubsM

https://www.backerkit.com/blog/dragonsteel-backerkit-launch/

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Edgedancer - Chapter 12

Mr. Sanderson, why are you using the illustration of a man's dick tip to describe a building? Jesus Christ... Out of left field, too. I could not stop laughing at that for about 5 minutes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

taco_fox posted:

He saw the power amazon has over authors and wants to make sure there is an alternative.

Apparently him playing hardball with audible has actually budged the needle on general author contracts

mewse
May 2, 2006

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

:five:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I finished Edgedancer. That was a fun read. Life and Wyndle seem to be a fun duo. Which order will she fall under? Guess I will have to read to find out. Also, Nale is a broken man who doesn't want to be inherently evil.

Now, it's time to start the beefy boy Oathbringer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I finished Edgedancer. That was a fun read. Life and Wyndle seem to be a fun duo. Which order will she fall under? Guess I will have to read to find out. Also, Nale is a broken man who doesn't want to be inherently evil.

Now, it's time to start the beefy boy Oathbringer.

What Orders do you know so far?

Spoiler based on information you already know from Lift's Words of Radiance Interlude and the book Edgedancer. She's an Edgedancer.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Spoiler based on information you already know from Lift's Words of Radiance Interlude and the book Edgedancer. She's an Edgedancer.

Whoops, I need to go back over my notes. The orders so far that I know(From TWoK, WoR, and Edgedancer):

• Skybreaker (Nale, I think?)
  • Lightweaver (Shallan)
  • Bondsmith (Dalinar)
  • Truthwatcher (Renarin)
  • Edgedancer (Lift)
  • Windrunner (Kaladin)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

Yeah, you should know that by now. Her Order's been mentioned in the main books.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Whoops, I need to go back over my notes. The orders so far that I know(From TWoK, WoR, and Edgedancer):
Go check the epigraphs in WoR again, specifically the ones in Part 3, or just re-read them here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

here's the post about the audible negotiations, looks like he's improved things a bit for everyone
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/regarding-audible/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

here's the post about the audible negotiations, looks like he's improved things a bit for everyone
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/regarding-audible/

I have a lot of respect for Brandon for this kind of work that he is putting in. It would be very easy for him to just crank out books, do convention circuits, sell merch, and then leave it at that. Hell, that's what most authors do.

But to use his clout to try to improve things for everyone - especially small, indie/starting authors, is a super respectable thing imo.