Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nerox posted:

I guess that's the main complaint I head from people who are anti-EV cars is that you have to wait for the car to charge, but I immediately ask them how often they drive over 250 miles in a day and the answer is always rarely.

These are the same people who buy a pickup truck because they need to haul some mulch or a new appliance twice a year, for some reason renting a specialized vehicle if you only need it rarely just doesn’t get through to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

nerox posted:

As for a story about Challengers, for my 40th birthday, my wife gave me a trip to the Porsche experience in Atlanta. Essentially Porsche has a race track and you rent a Porsche for a few hours on track and have a coach with you in the car, it's a ton of fun. The first question my instructor asked was what my daily driver was. After I told him, he remarked that he was glad it was not a Dodge Challenger because Dodge Challenger drivers are the worst people he tries to coach.

There's places that'll let you do that on real roads (some get destroyed in this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvBHN4sYEXg

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

These are the same people who buy a pickup truck because they need to haul some mulch or a new appliance twice a year, for some reason renting a specialized vehicle if you only need it rarely just doesn’t get through to them.

I bought a pickup truck because it was $300 and late 90's Rangers are awesome and I wanted a small Japanese truck

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

That makes me think of people realizing how much poo poo noise there is without the roar of dumb big engines, like when they banned smoking in bars people realized how loving awful bars smelled without cigarette smoke to cover it up.

I live near a busy road and I'm in the back room with the windows closed, I can't hear the road at all except for big dumb engine noises. Removing that will go a long way, just like how bars smell better now without smoke even if they can still smell bad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

An EV would stop 2 times in a 600 mile trip, 15 minutes each. I think a bathroom break and stretch after 4.5 hours is justifiable but that's just me I guess!
If I have to stop driving for two hours out of twenty on my weekly 1100-mile commute, my genitalia will wither and fall off. Many such cases.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1765076910420443313?s=20

quote:

A state senator has been banned from the House of Representatives floor and lobby for the last week of the 2024 legislative session for placing a bottle of syrup on another lawmaker’s desk.

Sen. Tom Pischke, R-Dell Rapids, was informed of the action Monday in a letter from Speaker of the House Hugh Bartels, R-Watertown. Pischke’s action was a violation of decorum, Bartels said.

Pischke placed the bottle of syrup on Rapid City Republican Rep. Kristin Conzet’s desk days after Conzet motioned to defeat a commemoration celebrating the late Nancy Green, whose likeness was used to create the Aunt Jemima advertising character.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Locator posted:

Umm.. wut? I'll take whatever the 'awful bar smell' is over cigarettes every loving day.

Well yeah, but there were stories back in the day when smoking was banned of people pointing out the smell of liquor-soaked sweaty-rear end people because before that they couldn't smell them in a tiny bar because of the smell of cigarette smoke.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

nerox posted:

I guess that's the main complaint I head from people who are anti-EV cars is that you have to wait for the car to charge, but I immediately ask them how often they drive over 250 miles in a day and the answer is always rarely.

It is like there is some disconnect that people don't understand you plug the car in at night and wake up every morning with a full tank.*

*Note: I live in a rural area, there are not issues here where you have street parking and can't charge at night.

As for a story about Challengers, for my 40th birthday, my wife gave me a trip to the Porsche experience in Atlanta. Essentially Porsche has a race track and you rent a Porsche for a few hours on track and have a coach with you in the car, it's a ton of fun. The first question my instructor asked was what my daily driver was. After I told him, he remarked that he was glad it was not a Dodge Challenger because Dodge Challenger drivers are the worst people he tries to coach.

People just don't consider trade-offs. Literally any time something new is introduced, if it's worse than the existing thing in any way whatsoever you'll have people whining about it, even if it's better in numerous other ways.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

bobjr posted:

She would have been independent so this wouldn’t happen anyway right?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

She wouldn’t have to had run in a primary, as an independent candidate she just gets to show upon the general ballot as long as she follows the requirements (signatures, forms, filings, fees, etc).

She went independent specifically so she could not be in the Democratic primary, where she’d lose. And she also wouldn’t have had any luck getting through a Republican primary, either.

She has literally no constituency.

Oh yeah, good call I forgot about that. What a loving loser

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I'd rather this scuzzball ended up in prison, but i'll take what I can get.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

LifeSunDeath posted:

in terms of energy density gas is still way better.

EVs have the problem of charger networks, people who don't have the ability to charge at home (people in apartments or who don't have convenient outlets) and the whole thing where the weather can effect battery life. Add to that the larger upfront cost over a ICE powered car.

I think there's finally pressure on the industry to move to EVs over the long term as you see states like California start to mandate them. That will hopefully lead to development on better batteries and increased charger capacity. The problem after those that we're going to have to deal with is that minerals like cobalt and lithium are vital to current battery technology and other rare earth elements are required not just for the batteries, but for the permanent magnets used in various systems. There are a lot of issues around conflict minerals and the environmental damage caused by REE processing that will take a long time to resolve and reform and that may limit the viability of EVs for all more than other concerns.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Well being that no one should ever buy a loving Tesla, what is the reality of the current infrastructure for charging? I don't care about what will be, I care about what is now.

The one future thing I wonder about, are there any plans anywhere to try to have some kind of street charging for folks that don't have other parking?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

nerox posted:

Does an internal combustion engine have any advantage over electric other than a gas tank is quicker to fill than a battery?

electric has trouble with extreme cold, battery efficiency goes way down and power gets used on heating. not a problem in california, but in the prairies you'd probably get half the normal range on a charge in the dead of winter.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

kdrudy posted:

Well being that no one should ever buy a loving Tesla, what is the reality of the current infrastructure for charging? I don't care about what will be, I care about what is now.

The one future thing I wonder about, are there any plans anywhere to try to have some kind of street charging for folks that don't have other parking?

In North America, Tesla's Supercharger network is so far ahead in deployment, availability, and reliability. It's not even close. It's so bad that every constructor gave up, and will join them. Ford joined Tesla's charging network a couple days ago.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

That makes me think of people realizing how much poo poo noise there is without the roar of dumb big engines, like when they banned smoking in bars people realized how loving awful bars smelled without cigarette smoke to cover it up.

Stare-Out posted:

Well yeah, but there were stories back in the day when smoking was banned of people pointing out the smell of liquor-soaked sweaty-rear end people because before that they couldn't smell them in a tiny bar because of the smell of cigarette smoke.

The big frat boy came up to me, tears in his eyes, he said "sir, they got the woke and they took all the smoke out of the bars! It smells so bad now! People are talking languages that don't even exist! No one can tell them how much they stink!"

Nobody knew how much the bars would stink without smoke. I told them, they wouldn't listen to me. Now, many scientists are saying how bad the bars stink. They kill your buzz dead. No one can even drink anymore, all the bars are closing. No one can make money with alcohol anymore.

Bud light lost all the money with alcohol. They even tried selling it to the woke lgbt. No one bought it, either. Now their company is in shambles.

Now what do they have? Vaping? So many different smells. Clouds like you wouldn't believe. You can smoke cotton candy. Still not allowed in bars. Very bad move. It's also more dangerous. People are dying left and right because of the no smoking.

China has a no smoking law, I think they want to take over the bars, then make them smoking again. A very smart move. But if we smoke in bars we can stop it and save the bars.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 5, 2024

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

that's outrageous. there are race cars that exist where the driver is the limiting factor, cause they can't handle the g's but the car can.

in terms of energy density gas is still way better.

ya this is why air travel will always be fuel. a tiny bit of gas creates a massive release of energy, and batteries are too heavy

kdrudy posted:

I'm guessing like everything else it's terrible and will only change long after people get really mad about it. all politics and planning are purely reactive now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Can't wait to get hit by a car I couldn't hear coming because it was going faster than the speed of sound

We're all looking forward to it too

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

zone posted:

I'd rather this scuzzball ended up in prison, but i'll take what I can get.

It’s sounds like syrup guy isn’t the rear end in a top hat— he was mocking the lady who didn’t want to celebrate the woman whose likeness was used for Jemima.

Unless I’m reading that wrong?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the worst bar smell I've encountered are city bars in old buildings with basement washrooms. it tends to waft upwards.

meanwhile when smoking was still a thing my sister would come home from bartending reeking of cigarettes. anyone else remember these babies

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Just :lol: if you aren't wearing TRUMP brand adult diapers on your long road trips, making GBS threads and pissing yourself like a TRUE American Patriot. :911:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Durf posted:

the worst bar smell I've encountered are city bars in old buildings with basement washrooms. it tends to waft upwards.

meanwhile when smoking was still a thing my sister would come home from bartending reeking of cigarettes. anyone else remember these babies

Our local Holiday Inn had one in the basement. We were underage so one of us would distract the person working the front desk while another would go down and buy a few packs.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

and boy are their arms tired

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Durf posted:

There are a few places in Vegas like Area 15 and the Cosmopolitan that have repurposed old cigarette machines as small artwork vendors.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Durf posted:

You can still buy ciggs in some bars just can't smoke in em. Funniest is the bars that still have all the ventilation for smoking installed.
The watering hole in my hometown just parked a giant 5th wheel camper out back with a heater in it. Grossest smoke room I've ever been in but also gently caress smoking in the winter.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hazo posted:

It’s sounds like syrup guy isn’t the rear end in a top hat— he was mocking the lady who didn’t want to celebrate the woman whose likeness was used for Jemima.

Yeah, thats what it seems like? Conzet voted against the commemoration

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

WILL CAIN (FOX & FRIENDS CO-HOST): Yeah, right here, let me introduce you. I remember her last name because who forgets a last name that is Tax. But I don’t remember your first name.

PAULA (DINER): Paula.

CAIN: Paula Tax, so NBC just reported that Michelle Obama has said she will not run for president.

TAX: Thank god! Yes.

CAIN: Ainsley said I would love the reaction from a woman in the crowd, and —

TAX: I wouldn’t vote for a woman and especially, you know, Nikki Haley — I’m just going to say this, she is probably menopausal, we don’t need that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ok, once again I hate to even ask, but what’s the story behind them claiming that Joe Brandon flew 300,000 illegals into the country?

It’s all the chud nation is screaming about right now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrMojok posted:

Ok, once again I hate to even ask, but what’s the story behind them claiming that Joe Brandon flew 300,000 illegals into the country?

Probably just their economic anxieties

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

We're all looking forward to it too

Probably should look both ways to avoid the same fate

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

MrMojok posted:

Imagine if you will, that someone looks at reports of immigrants, people with visas, etc and then takes that number and writes “ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS” on it with big black sharpie and hands it to someone on Fox News or to Trump.

“Illegals” can now represent anyone that comes in to the country that wasn’t the result of their grandparents birthing their parents here to birth the person. Also anyone that fails the brown paper bag test.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Actual headline: 300,000 migrants were processed at the southern border in December. This was reported in like mid January?

But yeah, we had 300k people zipping around on air force one at ol' Joe's dime! Coasting from state to state using up all our social benefits programs.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Hazo posted:

Before you “gotta hand it to him,” keep in mind that chuds were also super pissed off a few years back when they stopped using Aunt Jemima for marketing purposes because it harkened back to racist tropes. Some swore they would never buy it again, others put old bottles of it for sale at a huge mark-up on eBay…

And then Mr. Potato Head turned gay or the Green M&M ditched her gently caress-me boots - I forget what happened first - but they were off on another outrage bender.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t see any GOPer honoring the inspiration of Aunt Jemima as anything other than a cynical, backhanded way to own the libs.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

America rules when one half of the political system is like, 'Yeah, sure, little girls can grow up to be President, that'd be nice,' and the other half is like, 'lol bitches on the rag ain't gonna control my rear end'. Totally cool and normal country.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Stare-Out posted:

Lol the late 80's and early 90's, where all the lights were yellow and everything was coated in tar and smelled like stale cigarettes, what a great, nostalgic time

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

InsertPotPun posted:

nice january 6th hoody.

also: trump is president of good stuff, biden is the puppet of the bad stuff. duh.

“Trump is the true president, Biden is just the false king at the direction of Shadow Emperor B. Hussein Obama. Trump will make America great again! When was it great? Obviously when he was president! Wait, you mean when Trump was saying it the first time he ran? …. Obviously it used to be great!

… what decades you ask when America used to be great? *static intensifies*”

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

MrMojok posted:

The source is this post from the "Center for Immigration Studies" citing some legal filings in an ongoing FOIA lawsuit: https://cis.org/Bensman/Government-Admission-Biden-Parole-Flights-Create-Security-Vulnerabilities-US-Airports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Neo_Crimson posted:

Not really, car nerds tend to favor lightweight, minimalist cars with manual transmissions. This thing is 6000 pounds.

I don't mind an electric Challenger myself, but other people at AI are ripping this apart.

it's literally 600 kgs heavier than a Tesla S Plaid or a Lucid Air, both of which I would hazard a guess would be faster and more hooligan with the traction controls dialled down.

Car nerds aint touching this lovely car