Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

MS has sunk billions into AI, they'll spend billions trying to force it onto you in every circumstance before giving up or being sued by the EU.

They really haven't. They gave $10 billion Itchy and Scratchy tokens to openai, spendable only on azure cloud services.

Versus $68 billion in real money on Call of Duty and the pathetic shell of blizard, does that mean they are 7 times more invested in video games?

Flipperwaldt posted:

And I think they'll have enough success with the AI poo poo to spur them on. Supposedly students went all in on chatgpt. I don't expect people in some bullshit job to show more restraint writing reports when it's right there in their face.

As long as the vast majority of AI crap is being given away for free, it's very hard to judge true market value. Disrupting the homework market isn't really a lucrative area, otherwise kids would have been buying their homework on fiverr en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I can’t wait for this AI fad to fall on its arse so we can get straight onto the next round of bullshit that nobody wants.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mobby_6kl posted:

Was there really any reason for it to exist in the first place?

Android apps are garbage on Android tablets, why anyone would want to run them on a Windows PC when you have like 3 decades of native software to work with? I did set it up when I broke my phone's screen and tried to use my tablet to use DJI Go to fly the drone, but that didn't work and never used had a reason to try it again.

I'm sure there are like a dozen people in the world (and 3 of them on this forum) that have a legitimate use cases of course.

My Audible app (straight from the ms store!) on my Win11 desktop loads as an Android app on Windows Subsystem for Android. This is the default behavior.

I have an iPhone & an iPad…

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

They really haven't. They gave $10 billion Itchy and Scratchy tokens to openai, spendable only on azure cloud services.

Versus $68 billion in real money on Call of Duty and the pathetic shell of blizard, does that mean they are 7 times more invested in video games?
Ha, I thought it was cash or stocks or something with value, unless that's what you mean by tokens. I can't stand Sam Altman's face so I haven't read too many articles about OpenAI.

Anyway, I still think Microsoft will go through all the motions of making AI products unavoidable as possible, for as long as possible, just because that's what they do with everything. Not a hard bet to win, I know.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

site posted:

Same but my comic/manga piracy app

Luckily someone finally made a mostly functional PC version

oh is there a PC fork of neko/tachikomi now?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there some setting I can toggle so if I click the X on a notification it gets cleared, rather than just getting hidden to the notification stack?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

kirbysuperstar posted:

oh is there a PC fork of neko/tachikomi now?

https://github.com/Suwayomi/Suwayomi-Server-preview

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

neat!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I personally thought Microsoft throwing in an Android subsystem was more to compete with Chromebooks. Same line of thought as Windows 10S or whatever it was called, that could only install apps from the app store.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What cursed update made my new Explorer windows hang for multiple minutes on a blank Home Screen and side bar that only contains OneDrive? The only way I can actually start navigating my drives is to hit the parent directory button until I get to the screen I’m used to.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

Ha, I thought it was cash or stocks or something with value, unless that's what you mean by tokens.

A portion is cash, but probably not multiple billions:

https://www.semafor.com/article/11/18/2023/openai-has-received-just-a-fraction-of-microsofts-10-billion-investment posted:

Only a fraction of Microsoft’s $10 billion investment in OpenAI has been wired to the startup, while a significant portion of the funding, divided into tranches, is in the form of cloud compute purchases instead of cash, according to people familiar with their agreement.

So the deal is basically "we give you $10 billion over 5 years, as long as you agree to spend $9 billion over 5 years on azure".

And of course that $9 billion worth of azure cloud only costs microsoft $3 billion* to actually run, so MS gets to report an extra $6 billion of profit over the next few years... profit that it bought with its own money. Satya Nadella and the other execs get more bonuses, the line goes up, and very little effort is expended doing anything real. This sort of shell game exists to enrich the CEO-class.

*probably more than this really, but MS only reports "gross margin" for azure which is direct costs only

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiny Timbs posted:

What cursed update made my new Explorer windows hang for multiple minutes on a blank Home Screen and side bar that only contains OneDrive? The only way I can actually start navigating my drives is to hit the parent directory button until I get to the screen I’m used to.

I have a couple random folders that do this for no obvious reason. Not minutes, more like twenty or thirty seconds, but still really weird.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Flipperwaldt posted:

All I wanted the Android thing for was accessing YouTube through NewPipe. Probably not what they had in mind for it.

And I think they'll have enough success with the AI poo poo to spur them on. Supposedly students went all in on chatgpt. I don't expect people in some bullshit job to show more restraint writing reports when it's right there in their face.

Try Freetube instead

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

HalloKitty posted:

Try Freetube instead
I might, thanks. I've been trying Piped in a browser tab for a while, but the servers don't have good enough uptime to be really useful.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
as evidenced by my op I thought WSA would be a pretty cool feature of Win11 so it doesn't surprise me that they're killing it because Microsoft hates cool things and instead only develops things that suck rear end

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

barnold posted:

as evidenced by my op I thought WSA would be a pretty cool feature of Win11 so it doesn't surprise me that they're killing it because Microsoft hates cool things and instead only develops things that suck rear end

WSL and Windows Terminal are both really good but one is literally another OS and the other is well...a cli.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WSA was DOA the moment they tied it to the Amazon App store.

It was probably more Amazon marketing than Microsoft technology, honestly. Hoping they could get their woefully outdated versions of apps in front of more people because reasons.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Do any of know a basic bit of software that will just monitor and log my internet connection? My router doesn't have it anymore since I switched to 4g.

I just want to know "12.46 - disconnected" and stored some where.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have a couple random folders that do this for no obvious reason. Not minutes, more like twenty or thirty seconds, but still really weird.

Yeah I just counted and it was stuck like this for two minutes with the little spinner going:

The machine has only NVMe drives and SSDs and there shouldn't be any indexing weirdness going on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Probably attempting to create preview thumbnails for some folder displayed on that page.

The new Explorer seems to be peculiar in these sort of things. Over here, opening My Pictures incurs a huge delay before applying the correct sort order and allowing interactivity for some reason, because it seems to need to do something, whereas it’s instant in the File Open dialog.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The 'Home' folder thing is dogshit and tries to get links from the internet and a bunch of dumb places, go into folder options and change the drop down at the top:

And all of your issues will disappear

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I didn't know about that setting until right now. Thank you!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
The generic fix for directories taking forever to enumerate is to change folder options to display "General" items, apply, and then change it back (or leave it "general")

Dunno if you can do that with "home"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

where did microsoft get this video of me when my OS is equipped with powerful AI

https://twitter.com/Windows/status/1768026786456096978

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CBD Corndog posted:

The 'Home' folder thing is dogshit and tries to get links from the internet and a bunch of dumb places, go into folder options and change the drop down at the top:

And all of your issues will disappear

Yeah it ended up being this. It was also hanging forever trying to ping an offline network share, which didn't use to be a problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah it ended up being this. It was also hanging forever trying to ping an offline network share, which didn't use to be a problem.

My sister's computer exhibits similar behavior. She changed from Home to This PC and it's still taking maybe 30 seconds to open the window and another 30 to show the contents.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Imagine if Windows went off to see if network shares were accessible in a way that didn't hang Explorer, how mad would that be

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

its been this way since Win98, can't change it now or it will break legacy applications

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
My favorite is when you get disconnected from a network share, and then you get "host is already in use" errors when attempting to reconnect until you reboot.

I've had a lot of fun with that one combined with shaky VPN connections when remoting into work.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I like when I've been using a share all day and then I go to look for the folder under network and the share is not there but the address bar still works and I still have files open on the share it just doesn't give me a picture to click on I'm not loving richard stallman ooooh a command line what is this bullshit I need pictures

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

repiv posted:

where did microsoft get this video of me when my OS is equipped with powerful AI

https://twitter.com/Windows/status/1768026786456096978

For once the hidden replies seem quite agreeable

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
My mom is around 60 years old and she is doing remote therapy online before she retires.

She worked with Windows 98/XP and knew how to get around those but her memory is going and always calls me to do things like attaching a document to Hotmail or looking for a file that is not in either Downloads or the Desktop.

Switching to Windows 11 kind of threw her for a loop no matter what start menu/explorer mods I add to it.

She does not like googling or watching YouTube thinking she shouldn't have to with her degree (immediate flashbacks to 2000 when I was a college IT talking to professors)

tl;dr: We are looking for something like a book to at least be a quick reference to doing the basics of the basics in Windows 11. Before I buy one that looks good, I am just wondering if anyone either has a suggestion.

Thanks !

Edit: I would like to avoid a book similar Windows 11 for Dummies because she is too proud to read a book with the word "Dummies" or some similar self depreciating wording on it

Edit 2: I found one that instead of words or small text , this book called Teach Yourself VISUALLY Windows 11.

It uses step by step screenshots like this and I even see value in that:

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 16, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

EVIL Gibson posted:

My mom is around 60 years old and she is doing remote therapy online before she retires.

She worked with Windows 98/XP and knew how to get around those but her memory is going and always calls me to do things like attaching a document to Hotmail or looking for a file that is not in either Downloads or the Desktop.

Switching to Windows 11 kind of threw her for a loop no matter what start menu/explorer mods I add to it.

She does not like googling or watching YouTube thinking she shouldn't have to with her degree (immediate flashbacks to 2000 when I was a college IT talking to professors)

tl;dr: We are looking for something like a book to at least be a quick reference to doing the basics of the basics in Windows 11. Before I buy one that looks good, I am just wondering if anyone either has a suggestion.

Thanks !

Edit: I would like to avoid a book similar Windows 11 for Dummies because she is too proud to read a book with the word "Dummies" or some similar self depreciating wording on it

I don't have a book recommendation, but I told my 70+ yo mom to hit the windows key and type in what she's trying to do and that worked really well.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also windows 11 is enough of a moving target that I wonder if a book will even be useful...

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also windows 11 is enough of a moving target that I wonder if a book will even be useful...

I think I found myself an answer and edited the post.
but even if windows 12 is around the corner I do not think things like file explorer or how search works and would still be helpful. Hell, they might make a windows 12 book similar to the one I posted about.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a shame that Google is such a scummy company and Chrome OS wasn't something that only got inroads in education after Google gave it away, because I set my parents up on a Chromebox probably ten years ago as a trial for a few weeks and it was a really good option for what it was capable of. The problem is that you could quite easily run into something that it wasn't capable of and then you had something that was of no value to them. Even now it's not really a platform that Google care about, fairly basic stuff that people in their 70s would care about like being able to print something is an area Google have neglected, with their printer compatibility list being quite short and the newest models being from 2020.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 11 is fine tbh. I got my mom a tablet when covid kicked in and other than beign present when it upgraded from 10 to 11 just in case, I didn't have to do any janitoring. She's capable of using it for emails, skyping, browsing, etc., and the minor changes MS keeps making haven't messed things up too much.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Yes windows 11 is fine if your use case for a your OS could also be covered by a phone.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a shame that Google is such a scummy company and Chrome OS wasn't something that only got inroads in education after Google gave it away, because I set my parents up on a Chromebox probably ten years ago as a trial for a few weeks and it was a really good option for what it was capable of. The problem is that you could quite easily run into something that it wasn't capable of and then you had something that was of no value to them. Even now it's not really a platform that Google care about, fairly basic stuff that people in their 70s would care about like being able to print something is an area Google have neglected, with their printer compatibility list being quite short and the newest models being from 2020.

Irony alert: Microsoft might be about to solve that by forcing printer makers to use a shared, MS approved driver that manufacturers only shim a capabilities detection mini driver into.

If that happens, talking to printers becomes a much better documented process and support on other platforms should be achievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
No irony here: I want windows to just work for people with zero prior experience with windows.

The grognards and industrial legacy support is the reason we're suffering

I was born in 86