Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

In Training posted:

I'm the total opposite lol

make a map then, I'll fancy it up (warning: this may involve unnecessary ACS scripting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Imp Zone map 32 I figured was just an ordinary Nuts tribute, but the end sure as gently caress made me laugh out loud

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Tarachillax TAS videos started showing up in my YouTube feed. That hurts my head. They're so saturated that even my cat can't maintain attention.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

In Training posted:

To me it's a combination of too much geometry, both in visual detail and in the actual flow of the layout, coupled with long levels and a high monster density (although I could just drop the difficulty).

Another "over designed" mapset that comes to mind is KDIKDIZD, as an example. I don't hate levels like this, and I often will play them to completion, they just include an exhausting amount of friction to me, instead of a pleasantly dynamic amount of friction.

Fine line I know, but sometimes the pieces tip too far one way for me to have a lot of fun with em. I would still recommend Irkalla to people since its not bad and they might wind up loving it.

Honestly I'm not sure what makes these mapsets register as too much if Eviternity doesn't.

Not trying to be snippy, just genuinely confused about the distinction.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've been slowly working my way through the 2023 Cacowards/runnerups, and Godless Night has been the most fun one I've played so far. A multi map pack made for continuous play has been an interesting change of pace, and it had a lot of really good unique fights taking advantage of the custom monsters & weapons. I'll go back to it one day for the newgame + extra difficult mode probably which apparently remixes all the levels to be even harder which sounds cool.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Einwand posted:

A multi map pack made for continuous play has been an interesting change of pace

I feel like this should be the default expectation for anything requiring ZDoom. MAPINFO provides so many options to enforce vanilla functionality, including pistol start, and yet the port's behavior on death is "load last save" rather than "restart map from scratch." Not to diminish the unbelievable of the lunatics who play As Romero (Apparently) Intended, or stuff like Heartland's final map where you have to sacrifice your weapons, ammo, and armor just to be allowed in the level entrance, but I am the lowest common denominator of player, the type who makes multiple mid-level saves.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Augur;Zenith was easily the best of the Doomer Board Projects I've played so far. Really crazy at the end but great map design and music choices (a Jet Set Radio track? In an awesome shopping mall? Perfect!). I have plenty of other stuff lined up after I take a little Doom break.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
it's cool. i liked the steampunk one even more.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Grimthwacker posted:

Augur;Zenith was easily the best of the Doomer Board Projects I've played so far. Really crazy at the end but great map design and music choices (a Jet Set Radio track? In an awesome shopping mall? Perfect!). I have plenty of other stuff lined up after I take a little Doom break.

I just reached MAP07 and I'm enjoying myself thoroughly. What really blows my mind is that it's all limit removing, not even requiring Boom features, and yet the sheer volume of detail in every map! Agreed on the music, excited for MAP15.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arivia posted:

Whoops sorry I got distracted and forgot to respond with my ideas. I don't have ideas for every map, but these are the ones that stick out from a quick scan.

MAP20: after you return to the main area from the cellblock.

After several days, I finally did this one. What a nightmare, I must have died two hundred times trying to pull this one off. The very end of the "cellblock" area was particularly challenging because it seemed important to get the Cyberdemon to IMMEDIATELY engage the arch-viles and barons surrounding him before he teleported--otherwise I got torn apart like tissue paper, even if I had maxed health and armor.

Onto MAP21.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Einwand posted:

I've been slowly working my way through the 2023 Cacowards/runnerups, and Godless Night has been the most fun one I've played so far. A multi map pack made for continuous play has been an interesting change of pace, and it had a lot of really good unique fights taking advantage of the custom monsters & weapons. I'll go back to it one day for the newgame + extra difficult mode probably which apparently remixes all the levels to be even harder which sounds cool.

seconding this. i love how good the levels look, and there's good variety in the encounter design too. the last secret level in particular was a really engaging slaughter map

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Godless Night was the best wad I played last year, it's incredible stuff.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Einwand posted:

Godless Night

yeah I 'm playing this now and it a good old time. Though I forgot how much I hate pulling out the stupid scrap gun instead of the assault rifle

playing on the farthest right difficulty whatever it was, some fairly brutal fights

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll add another voice to the choir singing praises of Godless Night. I don't think it quite sticks the landing but I don't like slaughtermaps and realize that's a matter of personal taste. Everything up to the last two levels is downright amazing, though.

Unlike another Cacowards winner, Corruption, which I noped out of at around level 12. The upgraded monsters are a neat gimmick but all the maps felt extremely frustrating to navigate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

After several days, I finally did this one. What a nightmare, I must have died two hundred times trying to pull this one off. The very end of the "cellblock" area was particularly challenging because it seemed important to get the Cyberdemon to IMMEDIATELY engage the arch-viles and barons surrounding him before he teleported--otherwise I got torn apart like tissue paper, even if I had maxed health and armor.

Onto MAP21.

Yep, I very much agree on the cellblock being an RNG nightmare. That’s actually specifically why I recommended saving right after it, you had a good chunk of map to go still but it gave you a breather from replaying that one particular section over and over and over.

Unfortunately you’re going to get a bit of a breather and then things are going to get even tougher and longer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

An Actual Princess posted:

shoutouts to imp zone wad map17 "plasmodrome". cool concept of crawling through the map one way really slowly and then getting a plasma rifle and blasting your way back to the start through all the new enemies that spawned. genuinely creative and a lot of fun, good job to whoever made it

Seconding this, In Training. This map kicked rear end, holy poo poo.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Just finished Going Down and man, was that a trip. I ended up mostly running through the last few levels as the amount of monsters the wad throws at you is absolutely staggering.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Was play infinite doom again. Fun, but they need to figure out what to do late game. Just kind of turns into waiting for monsters to spawn to get enough to finish. Can't wait for the next update though.

In Training posted:

Godless Night was the best wad I played last year, it's incredible stuff.

Going to give this a shot now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have been futzing around with more cacoward picks that caught my eye after finishing Eviternity:

wormwood V: still stumped by MAP02 but going to pick this up sporadically and keep giving it honest tries - I love the RNG stylings and I usually dont have patience for such action heavy maps, but they seem so bite sized that I don't mind reloading and giving it another whirl, kinda like Crumpets.

el viaje de diciembre: loved this setting, the comabt was totally fine - nothing offensive, nothing spectacular, just a pleasant romp with enough friction/grind to make most levels a good balance of exciting exploration. the standout here though is MAP03 which is actualyl quite the opposite: the ammo balance is so finely tuned that you basically have precisely enough tools to survive each room, often requiring a lot of spillover between each chunk of the level to kind of dance between infigthing, slipping into other battles to grab the ammo/health you need etc. I loved it, and keeping up that kind of challenge through a 10-15 minute level is beyond impressive. great stuff.

Avian something something (AAA) - wanted to love this TC from the word go, the setting and tileset and MAP01 tee up a great occultic ride through a snowy wonderland but MAP02 annoyed me so much I just quit out. too much to learn all at once and the new enemies are kind of hard to read, and Id have to learn all the new sound cues etc. This could have built up better before dropping a big flat arena as the 2nd level, but whoof. I may revisit it on HMP and use saves, but for now im passing...

and today i started playing What Lies Beneath which has a pretty kickass opening level. design is very Episode 1 with an extremely fancy coat of paint. who doesnt love diving into a gothic countryside castle with a shotty and a score to settle? blasted through scores of imps, hitscanners and pinkies and will def keep playing this to see where it goes from here. From the name, setting & txt file, I believe this will turn into a sprawling basement dive into a hellish corrupted nightmare etc. Should be good fun!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Huge shout out to Sub-Actuality, author of the final Imp Zone Game Club Community Pack, for (correctly) assuming that after all the other maps in the WAD I would have wanted to go through a very nicely crafted level and blast a thousand demons to the sound of Iron Maiden without ever needing to worry about health or ammo. That was great :allears:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

anilEhilated posted:

I'll add another voice to the choir singing praises of Godless Night. I don't think it quite sticks the landing but I don't like slaughtermaps and realize that's a matter of personal taste. Everything up to the last two levels is downright amazing, though.

Unlike another Cacowards winner, Corruption, which I noped out of at around level 12. The upgraded monsters are a neat gimmick but all the maps felt extremely frustrating to navigate.

I'm a big slaughtermap gamer and something about Corruption just felt a bit off most of the way, a large part of that was probably the fact that all the basic demons were buffed significantly making it mess up my ingrained dodging for cyberdemons and poo poo. I recall there being an annoyingly high reliance on fights with archviles and basically no cover, and a lot of the fights just felt hard in a mean way rather than challenging movement puzzles to parse out like a lot of Ribbiks fights wind up being. Certainly not the worst WAD I've played of the 2023 stuff so far but just, missing something?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Halfway through Sunder, thought I'd give a status report.

It's, ah, tiring, I just finished map 10, the Hag's Finger, and after a certain point it starts to just feel like work, endlessly pumping rockets into oceans of Hell Knights and Revenants. Constantly quicksaving as I go into new areas which are obviously going to descend into a mosh pit of demons. Seeing the literal legions of hell slowly get ground down over the course of hours. Maybe I'm just not really built for this sort of slaughter, I've actually been playing Sunder in anticipation of giving Sunlust a proper shot but I'm not sure if I should even bother, I don't think this is what I want from Doom.

I probably shouldn't be too harsh, the first few maps had some good creativity with things like map 4 being built all around crushers and map 5 being the, er, platforming map. I guess for the latter I found the gimmick more interesting that the actual process of playing it, the fact that there's no way up if you fall into the lava down below makes it excruciatingly ruthless, I find Doom's movement sort of slippery at the best of times so punishing the player with guaranteed death every time they fall seems somewhat excessive, especially since this becomes the norm going forward, even as the maps become very long and have very tight movement, I simply cannot imagine doing these maps in single segment runs, I feel like you'd have to have extensive experience with each one individually and just generally have such good Doom skills you can complete Plutonia 2 with your tongue while blindfolded.

I can see the pure size of the maps and the audacity of the challenge provided must have really scratched some itches in 2009 for top level players who really needed the challenge, because I can't really say I get it from where I am as a Doom player, as I said it starts to feel like work after a while, with a certain knowledge that when given the choice between being extra punishing or easing up on the player a bit that Insane_Gazebo will always go for the former, as with the consistent lack of anyway to recover from falling into lava where the vast majority of other WADs would give you a teleport to get out with. It feels laser focused on the challenge and slaughter above all else, none of the maps so far have had even a single secret which feels like such a crucial element in Doom mapping most of the time. Also I was looking through some of the maps on Doom Wiki and I was a bit surprised to see that Map 8: Pale Monument is ranked quite high in the top 100 Doom maps? Like the map was reasonable, it was actually a bit more fun than most of the others and felt like a pretty good balance between scale and reasonable challenge, but it doesn't strike as particularly memorable compared to most of the other maps so far? Its very standard big scale slaughter, but so far the most memorable map to me is probably Map 4: Metal Descendants for really going in hard with the crusher gimmick.

I'll soldier on through to see how far I can go, but I'm on Map11: The Furnace, and I can tell that things have taken another turn into an higher level of just total slaughter that the rest of the WAD hasn't touched on yet. I suppose I'll see if I can stick it out!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sunlust is significantly less exhausting in terms of size than Sunder is. Sunlust was inspired by Sunder but is not all giant thousand monster slaughters.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, Sunlust is mostly snappy combat puzzles, not massive enemy grinds. Some of the later maps turn into slaughterfests, but, like, 1/10th of what sunder throws at you. Except for God Machine, but that's a glorious spectacle and even that is more along the lines of combat puzzles than endless enemy grind. Sunder is hard because it tests your patience. Sunlust is more a test of skill and combat management. Also Sunlust has proper difficulty implementation. You don't have to play it on UV, and it's recommended that you don't on your first playthrough.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
:yeah:x3, Sunlust exists on the outside edge of size and difficulty that I still consider to be well designed combat. I've cleared about half of it already, and can easily see myself finishing it out one day. I've watched decino play through Sunder and I have 0 desire to even attempt it myself, for all the reasons you stated. Absolutely do not sleep on Sunlust because of Sunder, the fact that you're 10 maps in on the latter means you'll breeze through at least the first half of the former.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Sunlust has been a real gem thus far (I'm on Map 22 I believe) and it'll definitely be one of my choice hard WADs for future reference.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chunder. Blunder

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Also I was looking through some of the maps on Doom Wiki and I was a bit surprised to see that Map 8: Pale Monument is ranked quite high in the top 100 Doom maps? Like the map was reasonable, it was actually a bit more fun than most of the others and felt like a pretty good balance between scale and reasonable challenge, but it doesn't strike as particularly memorable compared to most of the other maps so far? Its very standard big scale slaughter, but so far the most memorable map to me is probably Map 4: Metal Descendants for really going in hard with the crusher gimmick.

pale monument is easily one of the single best maps ever made. incredible fights, gorgeous architecture, more cacos than you could ever ask for

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Halfway through Sunder, thought I'd give a status report.

It's, ah, tiring, I just finished map 10, the Hag's Finger, and after a certain point it starts to just feel like work,

Don't ever attempt to play Sunder as if it was a normal WAD, that you can play a single level in one sitting, or even something you can play every day for hours for two weeks until it's done. Just play it in short bursts, and stop the moment it starts to feel like work. You can resume your journey with it one or two weeks later when you have recharged and can deal with another adventure against a mob of enemies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pale monument is easily one of the single best maps ever made. incredible fights, gorgeous architecture, more cacos than you could ever ask for

it's also worth remembering that "100 most memorable maps" is NOT "100 best maps" which is very obvious when you look at the actual article and the literal first map is wow.wad at 100. Looking at the doomworld article (https://www.doomworld.com/25years/top-100-memorable-maps/page09/) the things Pale Monument gets called out for are the architecture (which has been incredibly influential in the years since, I can think of Valiant and No End In Sight both taking cues from it) and the overwhelming cacoswarm, which is slaughter on a different scale than anything before it in terms of size and gameplay. I haven't actually played Sunder myself, but I love that cacoswarm just for what it demands of the player and how it works with the geometry.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

'S alright :goleft:

Like it's pretty good, more fun than most of the other Sunder maps, but it didn't really stand out to me in any particular ways compared to how comparable slaughter maps tend to go, even the cloud of Cacos is not really something that would strike me as so memorable that it breaks into the top 20 most memorable maps of all time.

Honestly the biggest thing I noticed about it was that it had zero Arch-Viles, which is a major mercy to the player as far as Sunder goes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"Well the last 3 or 4 Sunlust levels have been pretty easy, I wonder when it picks back up again like Arivia was saying..."

(New map loads with 1,808 enemies) :rip:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"Well the last 3 or 4 Sunlust levels have been pretty easy, I wonder when it picks back up again like Arivia was saying..."

(New map loads with 1,808 enemies) :rip:

I'm guessing you hit MAP24 Dying On Cue. It'll get smaller again for a couple maps and then spread out real wide towards the end.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My Sunlust run was pretty weird, I really enjoyed the smaller-scale combat puzzle maps and shamelessly cheated through the slaughters. It was still fun overall.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

I'm guessing you hit MAP24 Dying On Cue. It'll get smaller again for a couple maps and then spread out real wide towards the end.

Good to know. And yeah as you suggested, I got through MAP21-23 pretty easily, even with my current "ruleset".

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Good ol Sunlust, the new tried and true!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Good to know. And yeah as you suggested, I got through MAP21-23 pretty easily, even with my current "ruleset".

No I wasn’t trying to say those maps were easy just that I couldn’t think of good save spots for them. (They’re easier than the hardest stuff in Sunlust I guess, but the caco swarm in Black Rabbit pushed my poo poo in plenty.)

Ain’t a contest, I only peeped up because I thought I could give you some advice on where to save and ward you off some pain, not to go “those maps ain’t worth worrying about.”

e: sorry if I’m not making sense. Life is being a gently caress right now and I think it’s affecting how I interact with others.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

e: sorry if I’m not making sense. Life is being a gently caress right now and I think it’s affecting how I interact with others.

Yeah I think there's a miscommunication or misread in tone going on so just focus on your personal life, I get it, no problem

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Godless Night is a lot of fun but they do NOT gently caress around with the difficultly levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Well as it turns out, I think I am NOT a bad enough dude to complete this Sunlust run; ran into a sort of wall on MAP25 and now I'm playing through Unholy Realms!