Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

priznat posted:

Watch the antagonist factions get progressively more “good” until every drop is a nonstop “are we the baddies?” Moment.

Then it is revealed it was the world’s largest sociology experiment and we all failed it badly.

I agr-

*democracy officer jumps out from behind a pillar, shoots me with a dart gun and drags my limp corpse to the biological disposal station*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Play posted:

I agr-

*democracy officer jumps out from behind a pillar, shoots me with a dart gun and drags my limp corpse to the biological disposal station*

injected with democracy, pumped full of freedom

--

it kinda feels like they went too far out of their way to make the premium battle pass bad

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I've been thinking about what this game reminds me of, its kinda like Left 4 Dead and Mass Effect 3 online mixed together. Those games didn't have the comedic but they had the same sense of urgency and feeling overwhelmed by enemy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yea it definitely reminds me of ME3 online as well

which is great because a few weeks ago i was remembering how much fun i had in that game and that i missed playing it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The game is going backwards, somehow. Today I had two crashes, and it never did it before for me. And of course, I lost the progression I got for the 'daily quests'.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I know people hate on 120/380 arty strikes, but have you ever called in 3-4 of them at the same time in the same place? Nothing survives, hives closed, objectives complete.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Chocobo posted:

I know people hate on 120/380 arty strikes, but have you ever called in 3-4 of them at the same time in the same place? Nothing survives, hives closed, objectives complete.

Or you could use 1-2 Eagle air strikes and have 10 of them leftover? And not kill your buddy Master Sergeant who decided to grab a common sample 100m away from the blast?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Worf posted:

injected with democracy, pumped full of freedom

--

it kinda feels like they went too far out of their way to make the premium battle pass bad

I legit really like the incendiary grenade against bugs. You still want HE or impact against bots but the incendiary does a good job of creating a, albeit far too short lived, blanket of fire in choke points that will delete all the tiniest bugs chasing after you and might even get some hunters. And they still blow up bug holes and pop spewers, they're even aggressively okay to toss on top of breaches if you happen to be sticking around one or when one pops up during extract. The fire really needs to last a little bit longer on the ground though, they've got the potential to be good area denial but as soon as the big flames fade from the animation it becomes safe to walk through and won't ignite anymore.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FunkyFjord posted:

I legit really like the incendiary grenade against bugs. You still want HE or impact against bots but the incendiary does a good job of creating a, albeit far too short lived, blanket of fire in choke points that will delete all the tiniest bugs chasing after you and might even get some hunters. And they still blow up bug holes and pop spewers, they're even aggressively okay to toss on top of breaches if you happen to be sticking around one or when one pops up during extract. The fire really needs to last a little bit longer on the ground though, they've got the potential to be good area denial but as soon as the big flames fade from the animation it becomes safe to walk through and won't ignite anymore.

Yeh I’ve been the dedicated flamer in my groups and I can see how that would be good

I haven’t unlocked it yet tho. I do like stylin around with the revolver just to be different. My primary has been the defender smg so the secondary smg just feels too redundant

Revolver is kinda bad compared to the smg, it needs either armor penetration or double the reload speed imo

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I take great satisfaction from pitching grenades from a football field away dead into a bug hole.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Turin Turambar posted:

The game is going backwards, somehow. Today I had two crashes, and it never did it before for me. And of course, I lost the progression I got for the 'daily quests'.

Today I had 1 crash and the bug where you can't draw your main weapon out. All in all a good day. Yesterday was worse and it closed off with a fatal crash after quitting the game. Was forced to reboot my machine LMAO.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

space uncle posted:

Or you could use 1-2 Eagle air strikes and have 10 of them leftover? And not kill your buddy Master Sergeant who decided to grab a common sample 100m away from the blast?

A real servant of Democracy understands that excessive force is the true path to freedom.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One of these days I'll nail a diving grenade throw into a bug hole from long range and it'll be absolutely majestic

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Arrath posted:

One of these days I'll nail a diving grenade throw into a bug hole from long range and it'll be absolutely majestic
I was testing how far you can throw nades with the throw distance armour and can confirm dunking a nade rules
https://i.imgur.com/oCLd1Zb.mp4

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nice!

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

FunkyFjord posted:

I legit really like the incendiary grenade against bugs.

I gotta stan the impact grenades on this one, hands down the 1 hit kill for spewers is too vital for me, but I'm a dirty arc wielder so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: what blows my mind about this game is how totally fleshed out and different the faction encounters are. How I deal with bugs is so far removed from bots, and the illuminaties aren't even in yet.

I gotta wonder though, there's an AWFULLY lot of empty space on the map... even for 3 factions to fight over. Makes me wonder if there's a whole bunch cooking they haven't talked about yet factions wise

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 6, 2024

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Amazing Member posted:

I gotta wonder though, there's an AWFULLY lot of empty space on the map... even for 3 factions to fight over. Makes me wonder if there's a whole bunch cooking they haven't talked about yet factions wise

I expect us to lose a lot of ground and be pushed back to the inner systems. Maybe when the third faction is introduced it will split the forces enough that we can't hold the lines.

I also suspect the current fronts are sparsely populated and the inner planets will be more urban.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Reiley posted:

The stratagem scrambler is funny the first time but it gets old fast and then it feels like I'm just doing the fastest input 3 or 4 times trying to get the strat I need in the moment.

i wish that the player would get immunity for a few seconds after getting scrambled so you dont have to do this

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Amazing Member posted:

I gotta stan the impact grenades on this one, hands down the 1 hit kill for spewers is too vital for me, but I'm a dirty arc wielder so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: what blows my mind about this game is how totally fleshed out and different the faction encounters are. How I deal with bugs is so far removed from bots, and the illuminaties aren't even in yet.

I've kind of quietly thought that if they shift the Bots clockwise a bit (to cover Cyberstan) there is comfortably room for at least four factions...

Obviously border sectors could be variable or different.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've kind of quietly thought that if they shift the Bots clockwise a bit (to cover Cyberstan) there is comfortably room for at least four factions...

The Four Sectors lived in harmony, then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

nexus6 posted:

Would love to see low gravity on the moon planets. I get kinda annoyed at the limited climbing options, like you can only vault over small rocks and barricades. There are so many building that are just impossible to get on top of.

Was thinking having no audio/vacuum could be cool. You'd still yell/hear yelling on comms ofc, but idk that may get frusrating.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

What sci-fi archetypes are left? Orks? Nanobots? Cosmic horrors? Posadists?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kaxman posted:

i think watching a bug whose head i just removed call in a bug breach is the stupidest thing in the game

A bug with no head still attacking you? Cool, distributed nervous system and it's still in full fight-flight mode before it bleeds out.

A bug with no head doing a bug breach dance? Yeah, kinda bullshit.

A bug with no left legs still approaching me as if it still was just fine? I'm gonna suspect there might have been a bit of desync involved but that was weird to watch one side just levitate.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Heroically dodged around to pick up the dropped samples as my team waited for me in the ship, timer counting down with just 3 seconds left, everyone hooting and hollering, and I get impaled by the Bile Titan's leg right as I step onto the ramp.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

Space Nazi's

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TaurusTorus posted:

Ewoks

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I saw someone bring the 120mm barrage to a game. The only time I saw them use it they threw it like it was precision bombardment and the only thing it killed was himself.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Sindai posted:

I saw someone bring the 120mm barrage to a game. The only time I saw them use it they threw it like it was precision bombardment and the only thing it killed was himself.

Democracy

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Space Nazi's

the helldivers armor has skulls on them

skulls

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

skulls

Space Nazis have 2 skulls

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

TaurusTorus posted:

traitors, aggressively hegemonizing grey goo, trotskyist robots who hate the other robots

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ZeusCannon posted:

I take great satisfaction from pitching grenades from a football field away dead into a bug hole.

Agreed, somehow they've made it not as hard to do as you'd think which is nice

Sindai posted:

Freedom requires sacrifice

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nanomashoes posted:

skulls

democracy loves skulls

if you disagree you hate freedom

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 6, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Worf posted:

democracy loves skulls

:hellyeah:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I really hope the factions are hostile with each other and we can drop into massive firefights while trying to accomplish objectives.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wanna fight some fuckin' orks real bad.

A proper meaty horde faction-- the terminators are cool but the fact that they have a bunch of armored dudes is annoying. The bugs have a lot of fast/small hitters. But a horde of boyz who charge you head-on, with a bunch of boyz in the back shooting lovely little guns that barely hurt, and warboss/nobz that aren't necessarily armored but are hard as poo poo to kill? Now we're talking.

That's the way to defeat the armor-piercing meta, a warboss who is so angry that a railgun to the forehead blasts half his brain off and he doesn't stop coming at you. No reason to worry about balancing armor-piercing vs. non-armor piercing when the AP weapons loving suck against the hordes compared to being able to dump a thousand RPM, a blanket of flame, or relying on bunch of shocky bitz to kill the hundreds of dudes coming at you.

Left 4 dead/2 had such a great feeling when you had to defeat a huge horde that was just sprinting at full speed right at you.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 6, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

TaurusTorus posted:

someone else brought it up ITT before but, dinosaurs with laser cannons is the only correct choice

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Worf posted:

democracy loves skulls

I've got bad news for you about the united states armed forces

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Infinitum posted:

The Four Sectors lived in harmony, then everything changed when Super Earth liberated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

I really hope the factions are hostile with each other and we can drop into massive firefights while trying to accomplish objectives.

According to the lore bits the bugs are seeded on planets by the super earth government to later be farmed because their bodies decompose into oil, so I can totally see them deliberately seeding planets the robots are invading with bugs to get them to fight each other