Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cait Sith absolutely has the biggest learning curve I think but once you get your head around him he's hilariously strong. Probably the biggest issue he has is that he starts out pretty weak and Lucky Slots is incredibly feast or famine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm mulling it over and yeah cait sith's buttons are at least strong. I guess with a gun to my head I would rather play him and aerith remains in last place sadly.

From a game design perspective, you failed our girl a bit nomura san

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Quick question: Do I have to do anything with the skill books I sometimes get at the bookstore or vending machines? I noticed they give SP right away when you get them, but then they just... sit in your inventory forever and do nothing? It's a weird choice.

Also, what is Cloud supposed to do about aerial enemies? Aerith and Barret shoot, Tifa's synergy skills launch her airborne, and I just don't play Red XIII much, but Cloud seems somewhat SOL here. I had a tremendously hard time against the ocean terror boss in Under Junon just because I couldn't get to his hovering rear end for half of it. (I'm mostly playing Cloud and his harem right now but I think I'm gonna swap Aerith for Yuffie when I get her, because Aerith just takes forever to build ATB.)

On a writing note, I'm so impressed by the love triangle stuff so far. Cloud and Tifa are spikey and uncomfortable when they're alone together, you can feel how much history there is and how they've both hurt each other in the past and how much each one matters to the other and how they're terrified of actually facing that because holy poo poo, it'll hurt so much, any honest talk would require acknowledging all the bleeding wounds they've still got that they're both trying very hard to ignore. And on the flip side, everything about Aerith is easy. She's always happy to hang out with you, she thinks you're great, whatever you want to do is great, the way you are right now is great, any decisions you make are great, she's gonna be perky and flirty and always supportive of you no matter what. Which makes her feel fake. She's a magical girlfriend, she's wish fufilment, this is not a real relationship. Cloud and Tifa feel very real.

I was ride or die for Cloud/Aerith in the original but... man, I do not know what I'm gonna have Cloud do at the Golden Saucer right now. And if they're holding close enough to the original plot, the weird vibes I'm getting off Aerith make perfect sense because she doesn't love Cloud, she's loving Zach's shadow, and a shadow isn't real.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm mulling it over and yeah cait sith's buttons are at least strong. I guess with a gun to my head I would rather play him and aerith remains in last place sadly.

From a game design perspective, you failed our girl a bit nomura san

Honestly Aerith is one of my favorite characters to play. She's not Tifa/Yuffie good but she's still incredibly good. Planting wards around the arena and teleporting from ward to ward feels fantastic in terms of avoiding enemy attacks, Radiant Ward just looks and feels incredible, it's fun to be able to create a super death fortress of overlapping wards from which you rain death upon enemies, and in general she feels great. The only real issue I have is that her regular attack looks/feels weak, but Radiant Ward's awesome spears of light more than make up for that.

CapnAndy posted:

Quick question: Do I have to do anything with the skill books I sometimes get at the bookstore or vending machines? I noticed they give SP right away when you get them, but then they just... sit in your inventory forever and do nothing? It's a weird choice.

Also, what is Cloud supposed to do about aerial enemies? Aerith and Barret shoot, Tifa's synergy skills launch her airborne, and I just don't play Red XIII much, but Cloud seems somewhat SOL here. I had a tremendously hard time against the ocean terror boss in Under Junon just because I couldn't get to his hovering rear end for half of it. (I'm mostly playing Cloud and his harem right now but I think I'm gonna swap Aerith for Yuffie when I get her, because Aerith just takes forever to build ATB.)

On a writing note, I'm so impressed by the love triangle stuff so far. Cloud and Tifa are spikey and uncomfortable when they're alone together, you can feel how much history there is and how they've both hurt each other in the past and how much each one matters to the other and how they're terrified of actually facing that because holy poo poo, it'll hurt so much, any honest talk would require acknowledging all the bleeding wounds they've still got that they're both trying very hard to ignore. And on the flip side, everything about Aerith is easy. She's always happy to hang out with you, she thinks you're great, whatever you want to do is great, the way you are right now is great, any decisions you make are great, she's gonna be perky and flirty and always supportive of you no matter what. Which makes her feel fake. She's a magical girlfriend, she's wish fufilment, this is not a real relationship. Cloud and Tifa feel very real.

I was ride or die for Cloud/Aerith in the original but... man, I do not know what I'm gonna have Cloud do at the Golden Saucer right now. And if they're holding close enough to the original plot, the weird vibes I'm getting off Aerith make perfect sense because she doesn't love Cloud, she's loving Zach's shadow, and a shadow isn't real.

Dodge and attack with Cloud to shoot blade beams or Dodge and hold attack to make Cloud zoom towards even a flying enemy or use Disorder while in Punisher mode to launch yourself into the air or use a Synergy with Barrett/Red XIII to batter bullets at enemies.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Cloud has really good synergy skills with barret for taking on aerial enemies, and a bunch of abilities like triple slash and the frostfire blade that let you get in the air, and once you're airborn you can just keep mashing attack

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Also, what is Cloud supposed to do about aerial enemies?

Dodge and then start hitting square and your sword will start firing off blasts of energy because ???

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I don’t really get that feeling from aerith in this, especially at the saucer and costa del sol “dates.” she’s perky as usual but there’s a wry exasperation to her attempts to reach out now, as she tries to do anything to get cloud to open up a little - not even romantically, just to make sure the guy has a pulse

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 5, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t really get that feeling from aerith in this, especially at the saucer and costa del sol “dates.” she’s perky as usual but there’s a wry exasperation to her attempts to reach out now, as she tries to do anything to get cloud to open up a little - not even romantically, just to make sure the guy has a pulse

Honestly my general feeling from Aerith for most of the game is that she's going "Cloud, you're a nice guy, incredibly hot, spikey hair and an oversized sword is completely my type, but you really need to get your poo poo together, like what the hell my dude."

But I generally also felt like if Aerith was going to date anyone in the crew it would be Tifa.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

Dodge and attack with Cloud to shoot blade beams or Dodge and hold attack to make Cloud zoom towards even a flying enemy or use Disorder while in Punisher mode to launch yourself into the air or use a Synergy with Barrett/Red XIII to batter bullets at enemies.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Dodge and then start hitting square and your sword will start firing off blasts of energy because ???
Okay, thanks. That reminds me, is there any indicator of which synergy attack skills are just use once, which are "this is a three hit combo if you do it in rhythm", and which you're supposed to hold the button to charge up the attack?

Oxxidation posted:

I'm still in Junon right now, so maybe. Right now the experience is every interaction with Tifa somehow degenerating into either a fight or the two of them talking past each other about their respective wounds while Aerith is at a constant level of "teehee! this is fun, you're so wonderful, let's go on dates!"

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

big mean giraffe posted:

There is no VRR support in this game FYI, and VRR wouldn't smooth out TAA or upscaling issues on a 30fps game.

It says VRR is on (I have a S95B for reference)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

It says VRR is on (I have a S95B for reference)

Your TV may have it 'on' but the game does not support it in any way, your TV is probably doing something weird. My TV won't even engage the VRR mode during gameplay.

*edit* Seems that TV has low framerate compensation that kicks on below 40fps, so it could be doing something weird or interpolating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, thanks. That reminds me, is there any indicator of which synergy attack skills are just use once, which are "this is a three hit combo if you do it in rhythm", and which you're supposed to hold the button to charge up the attack?

Charge up ones have a different icon, with a little notch on the button.

Not sure about mash ones, I haven't used a team with those much I guess.

big mean giraffe posted:

Your TV may have it 'on' but the game does not support it in any way, your TV is probably doing something weird. My TV won't even engage the VRR mode during gameplay.

*edit* Seems that TV has low framerate compensation that kicks on below 40fps, so it could be doing something weird or interpolating.

The PS5 has generic OS level VRR too, it's just much better when the game explicitly supports it. There's an Unsupported Games toggle on the VRR setting.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

big mean giraffe posted:

You are correct, good call. The S95B doubles it to 60 fps and then engages VRR according to the Game Mode menu.

It definitely works... I didn't have it enabled when I started playing and it was making me motion sick playing at 30 fps on the QD-OLED, but after I got the framerate compensation working, I think it looks good and by far the best option vs the Performance mode.

Thanks for helping me understand what was happening.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I condemn myself to be destroyed by the posters with these, the official 50 hour mark rankings:

Yuffie: What can you say, she's goated in various ways. 10/10 no notes
Tifa: Still fun, still overpowered, I'm a bit bored of her at this point though. I was sure someone else would get stagger modifier increasing stuff in this game (besides the synergy finisher things) but no still just her
Barrett: I didn't really like him in remake 1 but he's surprisingly fun in this, and just useful as an always reliable solid ATB building support guy
Cloud: Meh. I could take him or leave him, especially considering the amount you're stuck with him
Red: Meh. I could see him going above cloud if I played him more, or if I could use him instead of cloud in more situations somehow
Cait: Strong but annoying to use
Aerith: Annoying to use, and not really especially strong for how annoying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I condemn myself to be destroyed by the posters with these, the official 50 hour mark rankings:

Yuffie: What can you say, she's goated in various ways. 10/10 no notes
Tifa: Still fun, still overpowered, I'm a bit bored of her at this point though. I was sure someone else would get stagger modifier increasing stuff in this game (besides the synergy finisher things) but no still just her
Barrett: I didn't really like him in remake 1 but he's surprisingly fun in this, and just useful as an always reliable solid ATB building support guy
Cloud: Meh. I could take him or leave him, especially considering the amount you're stuck with him
Red: Meh. I could see him going above cloud if I played him more, or if I could use him instead of cloud in more situations somehow
Cait: Strong but annoying to use
Aerith: Annoying to use, and not really especially strong for how annoying

Aerith is incredibly strong. Her wards can stack so you can either spread them apart to give her the best mobility in the game by far or you can stack them and create what amounts to a personal fortress from which she can spam magic spells 24/7. Magic hits *extremely* hard in Rebirth (especially if you get elemental weaknesses) and her skillset is best geared towards spamming those spells. Her ATB gain is relatively slow if you're just spamming attack but her charge/synergy attacks raise it more quickly and ATB Ward is a lot better now.

Honestly Aerith feels like FF14 Black Mage to me in this but better.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Am I able to come back to the desert monster arena? This double Type-0 fight is the most unfun I’ve had so far

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Am I able to come back to the desert monster arena? This double Type-0 fight is the most unfun I’ve had so far

Yes, you can come back later.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thinking about the end of chapter 9 instead of working At My Job: Does Cid's price change? The way it popped up it looked like it was made to have whatever text inside, and in general 1k gil seemed weirdly low when I'm sitting here rocking 80k.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Thinking about the end of chapter 9 instead of working At My Job: Does Cid's price change? The way it popped up it looked like it was made to have whatever text inside, and in general 1k gil seemed weirdly low when I'm sitting here rocking 80k.

The price is a certain cost for the first time and then a lower cost every other time, but it is intended to be a flavor thing more than a serious limitation.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That fight's a lot more manageable if you stick the Sleep materia or whatever it's called on Cloud. Seems to land every time and then you're just fighting 1v1.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Aerith takes two bars to set-up so she's not doing anything against trash. Against a boss that will actually put up a fight she's god mode.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bland posted:

That fight's a lot more manageable if you stick the Sleep materia or whatever it's called on Cloud. Seems to land every time and then you're just fighting 1v1.

Tried that, it did help. But I was still screwing up way too much so I’ll wait until I’m not 4 levels under

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Aerith takes two bars to set-up so she's not doing anything against trash. Against a boss that will actually put up a fight she's god mode.

Against trash she can get going pretty much instantly by doing her Synergy attack with Tifa.

(Also you can use First Strike + ATB Boost if you really want her to be self sufficient.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 5, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rebirth does a lot to show that Tifa & Aerith are truly the strongest combo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kind of an odd question but does anyone who is better at paying attention than I am know what triggers the variants of region themes? In Corel, at the start the theme has cello and sax in it. Now it has piano and xylophone doing those notes. Does it cycle? Doing towers? I'm not sure if it cycles because the cello/sax variant played for a long while. It's super rad.

Either way, at least we all knew that at least 100gb of this game's size is due to all the music.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
It has come to my attention that the chief complaint about this game among some of the review outlets is that there's, uh, too much game in it, I guess, which just continues my desyncing from reality. I read somewhere, and I can't remember exactly where because I entered a fugue state upon seeing it, that the new FF7 games are "adjacent" to live-service games, because... there's... more than one of them? I don't actually know. Lesson learned.

I'm in chapter 9 and just hit 50 hours, and I chose Dynamic difficulty. The sheer amount of stuff in the game is staggering; there are minigames in it that feel like they could've been entire PS2-era releases. Things feel thoughtfully included and almost ludicrously fleshed-out. The development cost of this game must have been astronomical. The characters are hitting perfectly for me, save Tifa, but there's no real way to talk about that without getting into a long diatribe comparing Rebirth to the original game, and I don't think that would be very productive (and besides, it might pay off later, I don't know yet). Every mechanic feels incredible. All of the characters feel distinct and powerful, even if it feels like Cloud and Tifa are still leagues ahead of everyone else in terms of efficacy -- Red XIII is fun, Yuffie is fun, even Cait Sith is fun, and I don't know how else to describe this game except in inarticulate and mundane superlatives.

That this is the middle episode in a trilogy is pretty apparent, and the game spends an awful lot of time just allowing you to hang out with the characters and get to know them better, but I actually prefer this to the road-trip early chapters of Final Fantasy XV by an order of magnitude. FF7's strength was always its characters, and just existing in this world has been nothing short of delightful. The plot has been paced exactly to my preference. The changes to the battle system are excellent. The soundtrack defies description in its wonder. I don't know how many of you are old heads enough to remember what the back of Final Fantasy VII's jewel case said, but it was a catch line from a GameFan review that went "Quite possibly the greatest game ever made." I believed it then about that game, and I'm saying it now about this game.

2024 has been absolutely murderous between Tekken 8, Persona 3 Reload, Granblue Fantasy Relink, the new Prince of Persia, Vanillaware's next joint Unicorn Overlord -- and it just doesn't matter. I absolutely love all of those releases, and they feel quaint and simple next to the towering majesty of this loving video game. I feel high. Like, what?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yuffie definitely seems to be the most generically useful character so far, just because of her ability to easily and repeatedly hit elemental weaknesses from range (which is seemingly the way to pressure like 3/4 of enemies).

BTW the thing someone mentioned to me about changing targeting settings in the options made a huge difference. I think the default has your target change in accordance with your camera/R stick, even if you're locked on to someone. Which sucks hugely and constantly makes characters leave their current target when I look around to see what other enemies are doing. It seems to basically make "turning your camera to look at other enemies while attacking" impossible, since looking at the other enemy changes target and makes your character dash off towards them.

I changed it to only change target with the d-pad when locked-on, and it feels so much better.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Against trash she can get going pretty much instantly by doing her Synergy attack with Tifa.

(Also you can use First Strike + ATB Boost if you really want her to be self sufficient.)

Yeah but the fight is over so quickly. I usually just smash out magic blade from cloud to get two bars on each then cast all my set-up. If magic blade connects with trash mobs they're usually nearly dead lol.

I switch characters pretty frenetically anyway so I don't really "play as" anyone. Aerith is a good pick when enemies have huge area attacks or whatever because the cpu usually takes good care of characters out of your control and with Aerith you just press triangle and teleport back to the wards. Then you can safely call an absolute poo poo storm of magic and tilt the fight while bosses do their long, bombastic things with no target in range.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

Yeah but the fight is over so quickly. I usually just smash out magic blade from cloud to get two bars on each then cast all my set-up. If magic blade connects with trash mobs they're usually nearly dead lol.

Trash seems to die crazy quickly in this. Way moreso than Remake.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There feels like a certain category of small monsters where their health is honestly a little undertuned and they just explode instantly in like one triple slash. I don't really see what the point is of peppering them in in dungeons, they're barely even speedbumps

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There feels like a certain category of small monsters where their health is honestly a little undertuned and they just explode instantly in like one triple slash. I don't really see what the point is of peppering them in in dungeons, they're barely even speedbumps

Those encounters make me wish the game was more seamless in the transition between combat and running around.

It’s pretty seamless already, but it could be more seamless. Just bump that slider one more notch over into the ARPG end of the scale.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stev posted:

Trash seems to die crazy quickly in this. Way moreso than Remake.

This also applies to the "tougher enemies". I magic bladed a sidequest miniboss and it did like 20% HP, so I just kept using it and didn't need to spend ATB.

Honestly the synergy skills feel massively op. Magic blade will basically dump a braver on things for no atb. Sure it takes a second to wind up but three of them will get you two bars on Cloud and Aerith at which point you're golden against basically anything including bosses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there any way to to see the end-of-fight updates after the fact? They fly across the screen so fast I barely register what happened. And if an enemy drops something there's no way I'll realise.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mt Corel is doing a good job of providing some nice twisty areas that remind me of classic FF7 maps.

A nice middle ground between very open areas and super tunnel-ified zones (like Remake had a bit too many of).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are still a few quite bad dungeons (chapter 11) looking at absolutely everything about you, shinra manor but generally they're a bit better and more naturalistic yeah

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Kind of an odd question but does anyone who is better at paying attention than I am know what triggers the variants of region themes? In Corel, at the start the theme has cello and sax in it. Now it has piano and xylophone doing those notes. Does it cycle? Doing towers? I'm not sure if it cycles because the cello/sax variant played for a long while. It's super rad.

Either way, at least we all knew that at least 100gb of this game's size is due to all the music.

I noticed the music in the Gongaga region gets more layers the more intel missions you do.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Mty hot tip for the double test-0 fight is play yuffie

when they say blindside can be used at any time they mean it can cancel out of grabs too

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Mty hot tip for the double test-0 fight is play yuffie

when they say blindside can be used at any time they mean it can cancel out of grabs too

I just did it as Cloud when I found it. As long as you gobble up the bubbles yourself and save ATB for when they nap it's pretty straightforward. You can also chump them when they start going crazy running around by abusing punisher counters.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

guts and bolts posted:

It has come to my attention that the chief complaint about this game among some of the review outlets is that there's, uh, too much game in it, I guess, which just continues my desyncing from reality. I read somewhere, and I can't remember exactly where because I entered a fugue state upon seeing it, that the new FF7 games are "adjacent" to live-service games, because... there's... more than one of them? I don't actually know. Lesson learned.
This is a frankly psychotic take and the people responsible need to be medicated.

Unless I'm missing the roadmap where Costa Del Sol rolls out in six months and I need to get grinding on my battle pass to unlock Cid, I suppose, I could be just missing those menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

It has come to my attention that the chief complaint about this game among some of the review outlets is that there's, uh, too much game in it, I guess,

Hey man some peoples opinions are just really loving bad and the moment you hear someone say "There is too much game" in a long form RPG like FF7 you need to immediately realize they don't know what they're talking about and instantly have anything they say go in one ear and out the other.