Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are they all Samsung TVs because Samsung TVs are somehow loving terrible at HDMI

Well mine is a Samsung too so maybe that's it. I guess if ever buy a new TV I'll try something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Medullah posted:

I had a badass 7.1 surround sound system at my old house with speakers mounted on the walls. I bought my new house and decided to just get a Sonos Playbase instead and man I'm happy with it. My hearing has gotten lovely as I get older so that helps, but it's nice just having good sound from one unit rather than dealing with wires and cables everywhere, even if it's not a top tier sound.

it's fine, and as we've established, it allows you to circumvent a lof of the shittyness of modern smart tv's. But you're not the common use case, and that might be something to keep in mind the next time someone else tells your their tv crashed because they tried to change inputs

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

it's fine, and as we've established, it allows you to circumvent a lof of the shittyness of modern smart tv's. But you're not the common use case, and that might be something to keep in mind the next time someone else tells your their tv crashed because they tried to change inputs

No need to attack me, I wasn't arguing either way duder, just stating that I too joined the ranks of the receiver-less.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Games forum in general been pretty fuckin combative lately

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It’s not just TV’s, my Deck OLED on the official Deck Dock will not work with my Alienware AW3423DW monitor. The strange thing is that the LCD Deck used to work fine.

Also, yeah I hate smart TV features. But my LG C9 from 2009 doesn’t really seem slow, the apps seem to work fine? I don’t use them anyways. The Apple TV remote is used 99% of the time unless I need to switch inputs or change settings.

Is there a technical reason TV manufacturers can’t make a “Dumb TV?” Just like a computer monitor. I just want basic settings for low latency mode and picture adjustments, then plug in the Apple TV/Roku/Firestick/Google dongle. Are they really that thirsty to mine data, is that why?

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 5, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Animal posted:

It’s not just TV’s, my Deck OLED on the official Deck Dock will not work with my Alienware AW3423DW monitor. The strange thing is that the LCD Deck used to work fine.

Also, yeah I hate smart TV features. But my LG C9 from 2009 doesn’t really seem slow, the apps seem to work fine? I don’t use them anyways. The Apple TV remote is used 99% of the time unless I need to switch inputs or change settings.

Is there a technical reason TV manufacturers can’t make a “Dumb TV?” Just like a computer monitor. I just want basic settings for low latency mode and picture adjustments, then plug in the Apple TV/Roku/Firestick/Google dongle. Are they really that thirsty to mine data, is that why?

This is exactly it. There's a reason TVs are so cheap nowadays, it's because part of the fee is your info.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

calmer 'n you are, dude

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

One more thing for the OP who has nervous breakdowns over the smart features activating… can’t you open the remote and put electrical tape over the contacts for the buttons that activate those features?

Medullah posted:

This is exactly it. There's a reason TVs are so cheap nowadays, it's because part of the fee is your info.

The TV is a true Black Mirror

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Animal posted:

Are they really that thirsty to mine data, is that why?

Yes, data mining everyone’s viewing habits is why our tvs aren’t ten thousand dollars; data mining subsidies all that cool tech.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds good to me

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Squiggle posted:

Games forum in general been pretty fuckin combative lately

Be the change you want to see.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I have been pretty snippy!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think some people need to take a moment to sniff the vent and remember what brings us all together.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

A mutual love of Switch emulation and understanding that 40 fps is enough

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A few days I was playing my PS5 and I reflexively raised the controller to sniff a vent that wasn’t there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The new humble bundle is up and includes afterimage. If someone is getting the bundle for other games (like Nioh 2) I'd throw you a few bucks for afterimage.

Edit: got a code, thanks folks!

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 5, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ineffiable posted:

The new humble bundle is up and includes afterimage. If someone is getting the bundle for other games (like Nioh 2) I'd throw you a few bucks for afterimage.

Which bundle is that? Maybe I'm missing it because I'm using my phone, but I don't see a bundle with Nioh 2, just "Creative Sandbox", "IGN FanFest", and "Games Done Quick".

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Annath posted:

Which bundle is that? Maybe I'm missing it because I'm using my phone, but I don't see a bundle with Nioh 2, just "Creative Sandbox", "IGN FanFest", and "Games Done Quick".

Oh sorry humble monthly choice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Well mine is a Samsung too so maybe that's it. I guess if ever buy a new TV I'll try something else.

I also have a Samsung and it’s hot garbage and never again.

The HDMI is wonky AF especially if HDR is on and it’s just not a good overall experience. They just did an update for mine that now when I turn the TV on it goes to the apps rather than before it went to the HDMI connection last used.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Squiggle posted:

A mutual love of Switch emulation and understanding that 40 fps is enough

45fps/90hz is better you idiot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Animal posted:

45fps/90hz is better you idiot

Vent!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ineffiable posted:

Sent you a PM :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Sent you a PM :)

You're amazing. Gonna try to get around to this eventually! I bet it looks great on a steam deck.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally got around to playing Aperture Desk Job after dabbling in Portal 1 (literally for the first time ever on PC, I'd only played it on the Orange Box on the 360 back when) and while its obviously a very whatever cutesy little tech demo there's something a little surreal about it canonically being the earliest entry in the Half Life franchise and the first 'new' game in the series in like a decade or something?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Wolfsheim posted:

I finally got around to playing Aperture Desk Job after dabbling in Portal 1 (literally for the first time ever on PC, I'd only played it on the Orange Box on the 360 back when) and while its obviously a very whatever cutesy little tech demo there's something a little surreal about it canonically being the earliest entry in the Half Life franchise and the first 'new' game in the series in like a decade or something?

Alyx wasn't that long ago, was full fledged, and literally ends with you as Gordon Freeman holding the crowbar suggesting it's time to get to work.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Atoramos posted:

Alyx wasn't that long ago, was full fledged, and literally ends with you as Gordon Freeman holding the crowbar suggesting it's time to get to work.

(1)I forgot alyx exists, and (2)VR games are less real to me than even a 30 minute tech demo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hello chums, hope the fighting is over. Let's all band together in feeling annoyed about battery life instead.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That's a completely valid view to hold but Alyx is really really good. It's unfortunately also locked behind expensive hardware that's highly impractical for many people.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol if you ever use your portable devices more than 6 feet from a power socket

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Party Boat posted:

That's a completely valid view to hold but Alyx is really really good. It's unfortunately also locked behind expensive hardware that's highly impractical for many people.

lol, my main computer is an ancient i7-2600k and a 1070GTX Ti connected to my modest Quest 2 headset. Not one bit of my setup is objectively ‘expensive’.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah I also got the Quest 2. It's still a decent outlay on top of a PC to run the game on - facebook even increased the price a couple of years back, presumably because the data they got from scanning your eyeballs was not worth as much as they thought it was.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, my main computer is an ancient i7-2600k and a 1070GTX Ti connected to my modest Quest 2 headset. Not one bit of my setup is objectively ‘expensive’.

Oh let's not pretend that more than rounds-to-0% of gamers have a VR headset and wouldn't have to otherwise spend a few hundred bucks on one

edit: I will eat crow as apparently "13% of US households have at least one VR headset." Nope nm "Steam users with VR Headsets: 1.97%"

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 5, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think it's less the actual cost and more that a lot of folk don't get on with VR headsets, and there aren't that many games, so it's a big outlay and feels like a big risk.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s exactly one AAA game in all of VR and it’s Alyx, not exactly fertile ground for anyone who wants to get in on a vast library of high quality games to justify their expensive and stupid headset.

I say this as a household that has two VR setups.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I had a an Oculus Rift, and despite buying 3D printed adapters to mount my prescription lenses in there, the image was still too blurry to use. I ended up selling to a Goon actually.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The biggest weakness for gaming in VR is the deck's biggest strength: flexibility. VR is extremely inflexible - you're devoting your eyes and ears wholly to this virtual space, and you're also laying exclusive claim to some amount of physical space (the more the better!) with your blindly flailing limbs.

The deck, by comparison, is hugely flexible. I can play on the sofa, in bed, connected to my TV, streaming games from my PC. It's a big part of why it's my favourite tech purchase in a long time while the Quest is gathering dust in my study, regardless of how much of a mind-blowing experience Alyx was or how relaxing I find Puzzling Places.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Annath posted:

I had a an Oculus Rift, and despite buying 3D printed adapters to mount my prescription lenses in there, the image was still too blurry to use. I ended up selling to a Goon actually.

That was the story with my index too lol.

Alyx was good but I had never played the other half life games fully (I don't care for fps) so I probably didn't fully appreciate it. Still, it was crazy and scared the poo poo out of me at several points. Definitely the most polished experience in VR at that time (and maybe now :v:). But yeah, I don't do well with VR when I already get vertigo and nausea from a medical condition so it had to go.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Party Boat posted:

The biggest weakness for gaming in VR is the deck's biggest strength: flexibility. VR is extremely inflexible - you're devoting your eyes and ears wholly to this virtual space, and you're also laying exclusive claim to some amount of physical space (the more the better!) with your blindly flailing limbs.

The deck, by comparison, is hugely flexible. I can play on the sofa, in bed, connected to my TV, streaming games from my PC. It's a big part of why it's my favourite tech purchase in a long time while the Quest is gathering dust in my study, regardless of how much of a mind-blowing experience Alyx was or how relaxing I find Puzzling Places.

This is my experience as well. Strapping on a headset to play Quake 2 is still nowhere near as convenient as fighting Strogg on my Steamdeck.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

They just did an update for mine that now when I turn the TV on it goes to the apps rather than before it went to the HDMI connection last used.

Go to Settings -> General -> Smart Features and deselect everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I'll be interested in vr when it's a pair of light, wireless glasses that I I can toss on and start playing right away. kind of how I can pick up my steam deck and start playing right away