Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Levin posted:

I am, they've gotten better and I guess I want to as well. Tried the layout based on suggestion from Discord, thought it best to practice a layout I might eventually want to use but you're right, simple is best to start.

oh okay, also rock on man, learning and getting better at tekken is fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Seltzer posted:

Random Feng stuff- I leaned on 3,3(4) too much while climbing and the 4 extension will get you blown up a lot in reds + (even when you try to mix it or use it later in a set). Still been using it but dialing it back and mainly just using 3,3 or 3,3 into back turned and then possibly ripping the 4 late into a set, been mixing 4~3 a lot more into my approach tools. It's a good move and does chip damage. Also along with 1,3 being my main punish and 1,2,2 into back turn being a mixup ive added in 2,3,1 also. So many people in reds and higher eat that last hit even on block its a funny animation. Oh, yeah whether i do it intentionally or just end up there, if you end up like just outside the other persons range in back turn, just chill there for a second then throw the 2 armored punch out when they run in. I have had like a 9/10 success rate baiting people with it, very funny and effective.

4~3 on counter hit also has 2 very good mini combos. You can do 4~3 > b1+2 for 51 damage or you can do 4~3 > d4 > b4 > b1+2 for also 51 damage, but a farther knockback. I've been picking Feng back up in the last couple days, he's got a lot of new sauce that makes him feel like a more engaging character than before with some GREAT combos compared to 7.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

wit posted:

This is the first I've played Tekken since Tekken 4. So glad Steve Fox is still in it. Some of the newer characters are a bit mortal kombatish but fun. I'm not really a fan of it having a rubberbanding button to press when I'm getting my rear end handed to me but I guess that is a thing now.

You mean Rage Drives or Heat? Rage drives I agree, although I've gotten back into the habit of blocking them.

Heat is like a reverse rubber band. If I'm already ahead I pop it when the person is close to death to make sure they don't get one of those pesky all too common comebacks. The initial heat move interrupts pretty much everything and gives priority, then all the heat follow ups give a handful of mix-ups to seal the deal. Heat moves are also great for getting small combos on airborne opponents.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've been critical of the heat and rage system a bunch but one more thing I don't like about heat is it gives you a free "get off me" escape when pushed to the wall, I use it that way myself too at times. A big part of tekken is utilizing and being aware of 3d space and wall pressure and angles is a big part of that. Being able to get out of a bad position you were put in to for free is a bit lame to me.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Seltzer posted:

I've been critical of the heat and rage system a bunch but one more thing I don't like about heat is it gives you a free "get off me" escape when pushed to the wall, I use it that way myself too at times. A big part of tekken is utilizing and being aware of 3d space and wall pressure and angles is a big part of that. Being able to get out of a bad position you were put in to for free is a bit lame to me.

Heat engagers aren't free. They still take frames to come off and they can be avoided, ducked etc.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Against a lot of players you can also sniff out when they are going to try to heat burst to get you off of them and then you just start throwing out some d4s or your characters equivalent and laugh as you see the power crush white aura start up around them then quickly fizzle out 3 times in a row. ESPECIALLY Kings.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Heat engagers aren't free. They still take frames to come off and they can be avoided, ducked etc.

Yeah I know. I'm less talking about getting floated to a wall and on wake up at the wall but when you're getting close to the wall in neutral.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Fuckin revelation for perfect electrics on keyboard or hitbox: Tekken let's you bind dpad and left stick separately, if you have your asd/space or wasd or hitbox set to dpad, add a left stick right and left next to your 2 and 4.

Tap forward, hold down, 2+the button beside it for p1 side, 2+the button beside 4 for p2. I'm instantly getting 100% electric accuracy and the speed is picking up so much for punishes.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

You mean Rage Drives or Heat? Rage drives I agree, although I've gotten back into the habit of blocking them.

Heat is like a reverse rubber band. If I'm already ahead I pop it when the person is close to death to make sure they don't get one of those pesky all too common comebacks. The initial heat move interrupts pretty much everything and gives priority, then all the heat follow ups give a handful of mix-ups to seal the deal. Heat moves are also great for getting small combos on airborne opponents.

I actually like heat, thats a pretty good addition and to me and doesn't build up to devastation or anything, its more like a slap and move into a stance or mode. Even though its outrageously anime, it does kind of feel like the momentum you see in real fight when someone lands a great shot before a ref breaks it up. Despite looking like rage, it feels balanced. Its rage that's a bit iffy. I mean great if you're cheesing against AI or playing someone who doesn't tekken but wants to have a chance.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally started sidestepping today and now I'm totally crushing my opponents. Not just step but sidewalk. Dodging with a single step is really hard, but one animation worth of walking will make someone whiff 2 or 3 moves in a row while you kick their kidney at a leisurely pace

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
TIL that Bryan's charging kick, (not the Orbital, the running move) despite not having the 'streaks' of a tracking move, will hit people who sidestep directly behind him, so that was nice.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

OK! I'm actually excited about getting torn to shreds some valuable feedback on my play! I've always wanted to get ... decent at a fighting game, where it feels like I'm not just mashing buttons and hoping. Thanks for being a welcoming bunch, and tolerant of whining.

Replay 1 - https://streamable.com/oj8ujs - Me vs King

I've finally settled on Hwo - I like some of the stance mixups even if I can't do them reliably and I dig his aggression. I'm having trouble with punishing a downed opponent, and punishes in general. In training they make sense, but it seems like when I try nothing lands and the opponent's attacks have no interrupt time.

also, apologies, I figured out how to hide the pauses only after I uploaded this one.

Replay 2 - https://streamable.com/1wlg94 - Me vs Kazuya

I kept eating poo poo from his parry smash or whatever it's called, as well as his heat attack thing .

It's understandable since you're just learning the character, but your offense seems centered around just pressing f+4 a lot. It would be worth learning an easy juggle off of his key launches (b+3 or d/f+2) and starting to incorporate that into your gameplan, as well as low pokes like d/b+3. For hitting people on the ground who won't get up, f,f+3 or b+3 are pretty good options.

The most important string Hwoarang has is d+3,4. It's a fast low that combos into a high on hit, and leaves you standing in your opponents face in Right Flamingo Stance (RFS), with frame advantage. The problem is you need to know what options he has from RFS in order to make that useful, and that takes a long time to get down. So you may want to focus on learning a juggle and some good standalone moves before getting too deep into his stance options.

If you're ever in the goon Discord, I play Hwo and can show you stuff some time. People find him very aggravating to play against, which is fun, but you may have to experience that aggravation first to really see why.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Brosnan posted:

It's understandable since you're just learning the character, but your offense seems centered around just pressing f+4 a lot. It would be worth learning an easy juggle off of his key launches (b+3 or d/f+2) and starting to incorporate that into your gameplan, as well as low pokes like d/b+3. For hitting people on the ground who won't get up, f,f+3 or b+3 are pretty good options.

The most important string Hwoarang has is d+3,4. It's a fast low that combos into a high on hit, and leaves you standing in your opponents face in Right Flamingo Stance (RFS), with frame advantage. The problem is you need to know what options he has from RFS in order to make that useful, and that takes a long time to get down. So you may want to focus on learning a juggle and some good standalone moves before getting too deep into his stance options.

If you're ever in the goon Discord, I play Hwo and can show you stuff some time. People find him very aggravating to play against, which is fun, but you may have to experience that aggravation first to really see why.

This is wicked helpful. I think if I played way more I'd probably start to recognize some of these reliably, as I'm definitely lucking into them at times. I'll join it next time I have a decent chunk of free time and see if you're around!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Shockeh posted:

TIL that Bryan's charging kick, (not the Orbital, the running move) despite not having the 'streaks' of a tracking move, will hit people who sidestep directly behind him, so that was nice.

Slash kicks in general have VERY wonky hit boxes, they are simultaneously a great oki tool and a great movement coverage option they are very silly lol. Oh that combo didn't kill? I'm going to run up and slash kick and if they get up even slightly wrong they take an unscaled hit to the face, ggs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Do you guys think we'll get my boy Lei again? It would feel kind of bad to have to buy him two games in a row but at the same time, I'd still do it lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Do you guys think we'll get my boy Lei again? It would feel kind of bad to have to buy him two games in a row but at the same time, I'd still do it lol

Maybe but probably in like dlc pack 4. The ganryu slot from last year.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think we'll get Lei eventually. Lidia, Fahkumram, Lucky C, Julia, and Marduk all seem like shoe-ins.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think it's kind of messed up that Lei Wulong is getting the DLC treatment twice in a row.

From Super Cop to Super Not (...included in the base roster!)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

if I’m more or less new to fighting games with the exception of getting mewtwo to elite smash should I pick up the new street fighter the new tekken or the new mortal Kombat? i doubt I’ll play the campaign for any of them i think i just want to play online. which is gonna be the least frustrating do you think? i think they’ve all been pretty well received right?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Street fighter by far is the least frustrating to play online

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I find MK to be more frustrating because of its stiff inputs and weird timing windows. In Tekken if something is punishable I can hit attack just as my block finishes to make sure it comes out. In MK I needed to know the exact frame my block finished before pushing a button or the input would get eaten, and that just felt really bad to me. Talking about MK11 so maybe MK1 is different but it still looks pretty stiff. MK1 seems to be getting poor reception right now. I got really into MK11 and that burned me out of MK until they reinvent the combat.

I really like the fluidity of motion in Tekken and for me that's what makes it more fun to play. Lots of people talk about how Tekken is hard to master, but they forget that it's popular in part because it's easy to get into and mash to do cool stuff. It has a high ceiling but there are plenty of noobs to beat up on. Street Fighter has better netcode though and also has plenty of noobs to beat up. I think you've got to go with whichever game looks the coolest or has the characters you like the most.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Does the concept of sidestepping appeal to you, if so Tekken. If not, SF.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Tekken 8 as a game is pretty fun but the random frame drops, culture of people rage quitting and one and doneing, matchmaking breaking for seemingly no reason, and a ton of wifi players makes it pretty frustrating to play. Meanwhile i can play ranked or ft10 in the battle hub in street fighter quite easily.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

The tekken thread is going to say tekken i think. I haven't really gelled with a street fighter since 3, the 3D era of sf is kinda missing me. I think tekken is also the easiest casually to get into but has a bigger window for individual styles to shine thru. Like mirror matches feel the least mirrored in tekken if that makes sense.

Bryan chat: i am complete rear end at fb2 punishes and its driving me insane. I think I'm starting the input too late during the block animation. Qcb1 is a crutch but a strong crutch at least.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pockyless posted:

Street fighter by far is the least frustrating to play online

It has better netcode but what else makes you say that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got recommended a random Aris video from this week where he said that Tekken 8 ranked players are the worst shitters on the planet and compared them unfavorably to SF6 ranked players lol.

Apparently Tekken 8 players ragequit, plug pull, and one and done exponentially more than SF6 players?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Noticing that in the middle Red ranks, there is a pool of people playing Hwoar/Yoshi/Reina, whose entire game plan is 'Always Be Pressing', and can't block for poo poo. Their entire gameplan is 'overwhelm', and it's incredibly annoying when it works. You're having to guess because honestly, they have no idea what's coming out next either.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sounds like beating them would feel real good though, right? I'm at Assailant atm so I'm looking forward seeing that bullshit in a few.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got recommended a random Aris video from this week where he said that Tekken 8 ranked players are the worst shitters on the planet and compared them unfavorably to SF6 ranked players lol.

Apparently Tekken 8 players ragequit, plug pull, and one and done exponentially more than SF6 players?

No, it's just a bit he's been doing for years now. Tekken players arent worse its just that SF has functional ways to stop plugging

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Seltzer posted:

as an anime player who's picked up sf6+tekken 8 it's so much easier to figure out why you died and how to not die to it again next time in sf6 than it is in tekken 8, way fewer characters with way fewer movesets in a whole dimension less of movement.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like SF's combo input is way too tricky compared to Tekken and has too many undocumented movement paths like cancels. I don't want to look at a guide to know which moves cancel into others, I just want to blast out well-timed normals and win while doing it. Tekken more or less works for me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tiger Millionaire posted:

as an anime player who's picked up sf6+tekken 8 it's so much easier to figure out why you died and how to not die to it again next time in sf6 than it is in tekken 8, way fewer characters with way fewer movesets in a whole dimension less of movement.

It's also got such a small move list and roster that ranked feels samey and player expression is lower at all levels. So the negatives come with positives. I'd argue the linearity of 2d is pretty boring also but that's just my take.

e- Honestly I had my fun with SF, but it got really tiring facing Ken in 50% of my matches without exaggeration and luke, juri, and chun in another 40%. That and the fact they told everyone theyre only doing balances one a year helped burn me out fast, especially since I was using a character who sucked at using the games new tools (manon) and the only other character who grabbed me was very poo poo (Jamie). Reina Drag and Victor are near the top most popular and I see one of them every 15 or so matches. Im not exaggerating when I say ranked was about 50% playing against Ken.

spiritual bypass posted:

I feel like SF's combo input is way too tricky compared to Tekken and has too many undocumented movement paths like cancels. I don't want to look at a guide to know which moves cancel into others, I just want to blast out well-timed normals and win while doing it. Tekken more or less works for me.

This is another big plus for me re: tekken vs SF. The 4 button 4 limbs system is logical and if you're on a new character and wanna do a quick low, you'll probably be good with hitting d+3. If it looks like you can hit a launched opponent with a move you probably can etc. You can start tailoring combos on the fly and even create lovely mini combos with new characters with ease. I like the if it looks like it should hit it does when it comes to floated and grounded characters, the really rigid combo system in sf is much less fun so is the oki situation. These are just personal preferences though.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 6, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Shockeh posted:

Noticing that in the middle Red ranks, there is a pool of people playing Hwoar/Yoshi/Reina, whose entire game plan is 'Always Be Pressing', and can't block for poo poo. Their entire gameplan is 'overwhelm', and it's incredibly annoying when it works. You're having to guess because honestly, they have no idea what's coming out next either.

I notice this with Lars and Vincent players. If I'm fighting a Lars or Vincent I just never stop frame trapping and they never stop getting hit.

Also I've had maybe two people plug in the entire time I've played this game and even 1 and done are rare, so for me the whole thing is overblown. I had way more in MK11. They do need to fix the win streak stuff, award you the match and punish pluggers though, that's just weird.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tekken 8 is my first Tekken and I LIKE Tekken quite a lot but I feel like you're crazy wrt Street Fighter needing to memorize which moves are special cancelable and what cancels into what. Like you have a handful of moves that are special cancelable (and I agree it sucks the game doesn't make it more obvious which they are) and like 3 documented target combos per character vs Tekken which has the equivalent of like 50 unique target combos for every character to link X into Y and frame data flash cards to know when it's your turn.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Pockyless posted:

Tekken 8 as a game is pretty fun but the random frame drops, culture of people rage quitting and one and doneing, matchmaking breaking for seemingly no reason, and a ton of wifi players makes it pretty frustrating to play. Meanwhile i can play ranked or ft10 in the battle hub in street fighter quite easily.

Aris is not joking when he is talking about his experience playing SF6 vs Tekken 8 online. I am surprised if tekken players rematch and extra surprised if they continue to rematch if they lose. This isn’t new to tekken 8, tekken 7 players did this too which was even more frustrating because the load times were 4x as long. There could be 20k players on steam but you wouldn’t know matchmaking sometimes because you just wont get a match and when you do it’s against a wifi player so you have to turn off and turn on matchmaking again if the queue doesn’t pop. Some stages like the bombed out building will have frame drops but it will be entirely unclear if its your pc, the opponents pc, or the netcode having a hiccup (frame drops also happen on ps5). These things happen significantly less often in sf6.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Glagha posted:

Tekken 8 is my first Tekken and I LIKE Tekken quite a lot but I feel like you're crazy wrt Street Fighter needing to memorize which moves are special cancelable and what cancels into what. Like you have a handful of moves that are special cancelable (and I agree it sucks the game doesn't make it more obvious which they are) and like 3 documented target combos per character vs Tekken which has the equivalent of like 50 unique target combos for every character to link X into Y and frame data flash cards to know when it's your turn.

You can play a Tekken character respectably knowing 15 very low execution moves (like, a handful of legacy characters have QCFs and people are wilding out about shaheen having one charge input) and one bread and butter combo route that usually have very generous buffer windows plus the Tornado gives you literal seconds to think about your input lol.

Meanwhile SF6 characters' "basic combos" usually have completely hosed timing windows of a few frames without even counting drive rush cancels, and a fundamental move like a super asking for multiple qc motions, gtfo lol

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Modern exists for players like you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I tried modern and it didn't solve the timing issue lol

I dunno, my brain melts when SF talks about poo poo happening on +1 or +4 frames, I feel like a dying old man playing that, the baseline of Tekken move speed being 10f is what allows me to keep up.

This is also why I can't understand anime games lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pockyless posted:

Modern exists for players like you

Modern is an afront to gaming and should disappear. Also, it's "normal" and "easy" mode. The way they tried to rebrand modern to seem cool and not easy mode is funny. A terrible fighting game trend that I'm glad tekkens ridiculous move lists and systems can't allow for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
That’s a really stupid take