Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mordiceius posted:

Honestly, when I see that an English voice track for a game has a big name (see: Hollywood actor) attached to it, it makes me less confident in the performance, not more.

usually they can only afford a couple of cutscenes worth of a famous guy anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It probably comes down to actually having good voice direction and working with people who actually care. I’ve seen some of his tweets before and he’s really proud of that role and seems to have had a great time doing it and it shows in his performance

yeah lol, and you really really need both to care and have good direction. you can see an example of this where trails of cold steel 1 and 2 have fantastic dubs. then cold steel 3 got a new localizer and they absolutely skimped on the dub and you can hear literally the same actors as before suddenly do a pretty bad job cuz theres no direction to get them where they need to be lol. you can be as excited and into your role as possible and if the director goes "okay you get 3 takes and we take the worst one" theres just nothing you can do

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Finally caught up on the thread, and I just want to say
*shotguns cock*

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Be thankful I don’t have my IK star yet

to be completely sincere on the subject - stuff like BotW is something I want to like. Twice now I've tried to make it through the game but I always just burn out. And that is wholly on me because I feel like BotW (and especially TotK) require some creativity on the part of the player. Every time I see someone gush about those games, they talk about all of the creative hijinks they get into.

I am not a creative person. Just like some people struggle with directions, I struggle with sandboxy "make your own fun" games

This is why I tend to stick to fairly linear narratively-dense RPGs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mordiceius posted:

to be completely sincere on the subject - stuff like BotW is something I want to like. Twice now I've tried to make it through the game but I always just burn out. And that is wholly on me because I feel like BotW (and especially TotK) require some creativity on the part of the player. Every time I see someone gush about those games, they talk about all of the creative hijinks they get into.

I am not a creative person. Just like some people struggle with directions, I struggle with sandboxy "make your own fun" games

It's totally fine, friend. There are games out there for everyone.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dongicus posted:

yakuza 8 has subtitle customisation now so there's 0 excuse to use the dub lol

wtf..was this by default...?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mordiceius posted:

My friend has a similar complaint about not being creative, which is why he doesn't like BotW, and why he won't play DND because he can't think up characters. Too much freedom scares people I guess

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

HopperUK posted:

It's totally fine, friend. There are games out there for everyone.

And every game that isn't for me is bullshit!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
lmao they paid yongyea to be kiryu

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ive now encountered two people irl who know who DSP is. It rules.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mordiceius posted:

And every game that isn't for me is bullshit!

You ruined it and I'm furious

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

wtf..was this by default...?

you can change font size and add transparent backgrounds to text iirc

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Leal posted:

I think his youtubes are fine but hearing him sing as Kiryu and it's literally just his voice is lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
stunt cast for kiryu adam driver stunt casting for nishiki steven yuen stunt casting for majima jim carrey

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think his youtubes are fine but hearing him sing as Kiryu and it's literally just his voice is lol

Alright I gotta hear this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Al! posted:

stunt cast for kiryu DSP

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

emongg should voice kiryu

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FirstnameLastname posted:

you have to play them against other people and believe in yourself basically

when its against an ai even if it's good ai, you never learn to think about what the other player is doing/thinking at the same time & if you assume you can't legitimately be as good as people that're already good you'll look for shortcuts, won't develop fundamentals and tilt easily

that mental/mechanical economy's the first layer of competition in every rts and if you're conscious of it at all it'll put you in the top 5-10% competitively maybe 15% in broodwar
the rest is hotkeys and ergonomics to be fast & accurate

This is pretty applicable to fighting games too. I finally got into the genre last December with Granblue Rising and I haven't really fought AI much other than to practice some basic stuff and to go through Arcade/Story mode when I feel like it. Managing to get a hard read on a real human and punishing them for it feels good as hell.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Leal posted:

Alright I gotta hear this

https://x.com/2005Dojima/status/1722682342597333124?s=20

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mordiceius posted:

Hey same. Although I 100% botw because of collectathon compulsion. But I hated it the entire time and knew myself well enough to not buy the sequel

Play what you like!
jrpgs and metroidvanias are my jam

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Leal posted:

it sucks so bad

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there arent many games i dislike

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good lord.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Stux posted:

or death stranding. die hardmans va does like side quest guys and random street chatter for gotham knights and the saints row reboot where every single character is absolutely intolerable to listen to. but he gets a main part in a kojima game and hes suddenly the best voice actor ever. doesnt make no sense!!!

It totally makes sense that Western AAA companies don't care about good voice direction and spend no time or money on it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Also the guy who did the voice of Deadman in DS was the voice of LeFou in Beauty and the Beast lol

Also Neku in TWEWY

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

it sucks so bad

I did a new game+ run and switched to dub for it just to check out danny trejo really. some characters are good. chitose is fine, tomizawas gone for a different angle but it works decently. bryce is obviously 100x better.

but gently caress kiryu is so bad. As soon as it switched to his party I had to surrender

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there arent many games i dislike

Same. The only video game I feel genuine antimony towards (that didn't immediately fade) is Metroid Other M and that's water under the bridge now because Dread was good.

mycot has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Mar 6, 2024

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Ive now encountered two people irl who know who DSP is. It rules.

This is the only thing I've ever seen DSP in and it's amazing how easily it tells you everything about the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqmh8yR_R8

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Not fair to compare anyone to the GOAT

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like to play map painting simulators and my favorite thing to do with them is paint the map. it's fun!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Gah!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LMAO

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Pitch correction too lmao.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I did a new game+ run and switched to dub for it just to check out danny trejo really. some characters are good. chitose is fine, tomizawas gone for a different angle but it works decently. bryce is obviously 100x better.

but gently caress kiryu is so bad. As soon as it switched to his party I had to surrender

I wish they had a hybrid option because the American NPCs have a lot more character in English. Particularly the guy that first arrests Ichi, and most of the other bad guys around Hawaii. They already gave up almost immediately on trying to explain away why so many people speak Japanese so Ichi can understand them.

Also Bryce’s English is probably the worst thing I ever heard lol. No idea why they let that pass.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It probably comes down to actually having good voice direction and working with people who actually care. I’ve seen some of his tweets before and he’s really proud of that role and seems to have had a great time doing it and it shows in his performance

its genuinely a stunning performance + it rules its such an incredibly serious and well acted role entirely to give back story for the name "die hardman". kojima is a true genuis

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
making the greatest video game of all time so people will forget my human rights abuses

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ichi can understand only those exact words in english

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Reik posted:

This is the only thing I've ever seen DSP in and it's amazing how easily it tells you everything about the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqmh8yR_R8

interestingly this also tells people everything about you

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Cranappleberry posted:

making the greatest video game of all time so people will forget my human rights abuses

Good luck

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
to be frank, in a straight one on one street fight phil would destroy that vtuber child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Dongicus posted:

yakuza 8 has subtitle customisation now so there's 0 excuse to use the dub lol

yea drat lol. was really impressed how much they went into for mocap instead of canned animations too

lol ftw
The yakuza 8 dub is better tbh. You lose so many good little character bits playing in Japanese (you don't speak Japanese) (Idgaf about prozd or whoever voices kiryu in English I'm an adult)