Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
meltzer and alvarez said that last night on raw michael cole wished Sting the best in his retirement and mcafee was like ":beerpal: yeah that was an awesome match last night" and cole was like "ABABABA ANYWAY LEt's go ahead and talk about this wwe match" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cornwind Evil posted:

(I think of how Batista was sleeping with Melina Perez and her boyfriend John "I have had a dozen last names" Hennigan was supposedly 'okay' with it, probably in a "If I make waves I'll get fired and so will Melina because Batista is a top star and a workout buddy of Triple H so I'll just accept it", and instead of people getting cross with Batista and Melina for cheating on their SO's

I think the really gross part of this is that Batista was cheating on his wife while she was battling ovarian cancer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

How Sting got involved in WWE is a story in itself, as WWE didn't know to bring him in until they accidentally tricked the fans into being excited about it a few times.

Months before WrestleMania 27, WWE started showing these vignettes of somebody in black boots and a black duster walking through the rain with an upcoming date graphic. At the time, people were going crazy because they thought it was for Sting, when really it was for the Undertaker. It seemed a little extra to announce that the Undertaker was going to show up on Raw weeks in advance during the Road to WrestleMania, especially with the feeling of mystery that came with it. Of course the Undertaker's coming back. He's the Undertaker. This led to a hilariously lame Undertaker/Triple H showdown to build to their next match at the worst WrestleMania.

Shortly after, TNA remade the vignettes so they could announce that Sting was coming back to TV. Hey, if the iron's hot!

A couple years later, 2K Games was in a habit of announcing wrestlers as pre-order exclusives with less WWE oversight than you'd expect. This is ultimately how guys like Warrior and Goldberg made their returns to the company. On one episode of Raw, a video started playing of an orchestra in a dark room with somebody lurking in the rafters. It ended with the orchestra turning to reveal that they all had Crow makeup and the guy lurking was Sting.

Everyone in the arena was psyched. You could hear it over the footage.

Then it showed the 2K Games logo, making everyone realize it was just a video game thing and you could hear the arena-sized groan. And that's when WWE decided, oh, they could probably make money off of Sting after all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WWE has also spent the past couple decades convincing themselves that nobody liked WCW, ever.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Defiance Industries posted:

WWE has also spent the past couple decades convincing themselves that nobody liked WCW, ever.

LIKE THE TIME WE DROVE A TANK TO THE DOORS OF DOUBLE YOU SEE DOUBLE YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmCJS3sR8c

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol Scott Steiner is so dumb

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
For what it's worth Sting went through sugar glass plane like right after draby bled out after driving through his

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

Lol Scott Steiner is so dumb
I'unno. He's pretty good at math.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

I'm glad Sting had a fun banger of a last match.

But was he truly the last active wrestler who'd started in the 80's? Was that match the undeniable end of the 80's wrestling era?

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Stunt-Puffin posted:

I'm glad Sting had a fun banger of a last match.

But was he truly the last active wrestler who'd started in the 80's? Was that match the undeniable end of the 80's wrestling era?

Dustin Rhodes had his first match in '88 (according to Wikipedia)

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

if terry funk hadn't died he'd probably still do another match

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
In the US probably Dustin? Otherwise most died young or retired already either on their own or from other circumstances. There's a couple old rear end Japanese and Mexican wrestlers rolling around that probably will never retire.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
https://twitter.com/TheEnduringIcon/status/1765095008355393718?t=jgWHmKkb9zkoRhfT6Lq-kg&s=19

Christian Cage wins!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

every time WCW comes up in one of the many documenteries WWE has made they poo poo on it lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
make no mistake the last year of WCW was very bad and it had some atrocious booking and baffling business decisions but so did WWE

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

About ten years ago, WWE had a weekly YouTube series called Are You Serious? which was wrestling MST3K with Josh Matthews, Road Dogg, and a puppet version of Triple H. A lot of it was based on bashing WCW, though well-deserved.

Anyway, my favorite bit was when they were watching an old WWF segment about the home life of Dr. David Schultz. Schultz is only really remembered for committing career suicide on TV when a reporter asked him if wrestling was fake and he slapped the poo poo out of him and asked, "Does that feel fake to you?!"

So while watching the segment, Josh asks, "Who's this guy?"

"That's Dr. David Schultz."

"Oh. What's he known for?"

"......I'll tell you later."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every time WCW comes up in one of the many documenteries WWE has made they poo poo on it lol

I've got a DVD called "The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA" and its a documentary about the AWA and Vern Gagne and there are some matches included in it.

They of course interview a lot of people and most of them are fairly complimentary to Vern Gagne and their time in the AWA and all that (some aren't) but whenever Vince is on camera talking about it, it was just.... weird when he was being interviewed. I can't describe it but he almost seems indignant that like Vern Gagne didn't just sell out to him, or bow down or whatever. You'd have to watch it to get what I mean, but it was really weird how he was acting about it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Gavok posted:

About ten years ago, WWE had a weekly YouTube series called Are You Serious? which was wrestling MST3K with Josh Matthews, Road Dogg, and a puppet version of Triple H. A lot of it was based on bashing WCW, though well-deserved.

Anyway, my favorite bit was when they were watching an old WWF segment about the home life of Dr. David Schultz. Schultz is only really remembered for committing career suicide on TV when a reporter asked him if wrestling was fake and he slapped the poo poo out of him and asked, "Does that feel fake to you?!"

So while watching the segment, Josh asks, "Who's this guy?"

"That's Dr. David Schultz."

"Oh. What's he known for?"

"......I'll tell you later."

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

wesleywillis posted:

I've got a DVD called "The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA" and its a documentary about the AWA and Vern Gagne and there are some matches included in it.

They of course interview a lot of people and most of them are fairly complimentary to Vern Gagne and their time in the AWA and all that (some aren't) but whenever Vince is on camera talking about it, it was just.... weird when he was being interviewed. I can't describe it but he almost seems indignant that like Vern Gagne didn't just sell out to him, or bow down or whatever. You'd have to watch it to get what I mean, but it was really weird how he was acting about it.

there was serious animosity between vince and verne even by wrestling standards and theres a rumor started by the Iron Sheik himself is that Verne tried to pay Sheiky to break Hogan's leg as payback for Hogan leaving for the WWF

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I'unno. He's pretty good at math.

SO THEN WHY'S THAT FATASS S'MOA JOE ON TV AND HE AIN'T

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah sugar glass is easily distinguishable from real glass. I see it in low budget action movies all the time

there was a match with Kurt Angle and Shane where the glass famously refused to break, Kurt had to drop Shane on his head to get him through a few times. That glass was confusing

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

there was a match with Kurt Angle and Shane where the glass famously refused to break, Kurt had to drop Shane on his head to get him through a few times. That glass was confusing

and it turns out they put the sugar glass (actually probably tempered glass) in the wrong window. Not joking

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Make no mistake. Even now, Vince has never, ever, EVER, EVER forgotten, forgiven, or stopped snarling over how not only did WCW/Bischoff kick his rear end in business for a few years, but double even that psychopathic rancor because they did it using his own playbook and stars to do it. Even NOW, when he's probably in danger of finally being arrested, charged, erased, and turned into the next Jimmy Saville, he devotes part of his mind to hating them. The man is a lunatic through and through.

And when you have the biggest stage, you do everything you can to define reality as you see it. Even the saner wrestling people do this. With Vince, it's honestly a surprise he didn't try to retcon the Monday Night Wars as a mass delusion, WWE has always been at war with Eurasia style.

Supreme Allah posted:

That's a misleading statement, to be pedantic. He didn't drop Shane on his head to get through the glass, he tried to belly to belly suplex toss Shane through what he THOUGHT was rigged glass and when it didn't break, Shane landed on his head. Watch Angle after it happens twice: he adjusts to try and catch Shane on the way down because he's clued in things have gone bad, and he abandons the idea of the suplex at the end and just throws Shane through the glass, which isn't much better but hey, heat of the moment.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 6, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
during the early days of the monday night wars WWE was doing sketches about a character named "Billionaire Ted" that was a parody of Ted Turner they were originally just jokes at ted's expense but very quickly turned into just vince lashing out at Ted and eventually vince had to be told to stop because the network was afraid they would be sued

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

during the early days of the monday night wars WWE was doing sketches about a character named "Billionaire Ted" that was a parody of Ted Turner they were originally just jokes at ted's expense but very quickly turned into just vince lashing out at Ted and eventually vince had to be told to stop because the network was afraid they would be sued

pfft lol

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

it's funny because that's exactly what the nwo called him, and then when dibiase joined they started calling him trillionaire ted lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I remember Shane was so hosed up from that Angle match that even Vince was thinking he had gone too far and was concerned for him.

AlmightyBob posted:

it's funny because that's exactly what the nwo called him, and then when dibiase joined they started calling him trillionaire ted lol

Yeah. When Scott Hall made his big first appearance in WCW to start the whole nWo invasion, he was making outright references to the Billionaire Ted skits.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Ted Turner saved 220k hectares of land from being destroyed and developed into new Rio Ranchos in New Mexico and I am thankful for that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
that match with kurt angle and other insane stunts he had no business doing gave shane two decades of goodwill and demands for his return that he squandered once he actually came back and showed that he was just as egotistical as the rest of his family lol

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cornwind Evil posted:

That's a misleading statement, to be pendatic. He didn't drop Shane on his head to get through the glass, he tried to belly to belly suplex toss Shane through what he THOUGHT was rigged glass and when it didn't break, Shane landed on his head. Watch Angle after it happens twice: he adjusts to try and catch Shane on the way down because he's clued in things have gone bad, and he abandons the idea of the suplex at the end and just throws Shane through the glass, which isn't much better but hey, heat of the moment.

If I remember correctly, Shane explicitly told Angle to do it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jamesman posted:

he did and because kurt angle has wrestling brain he did it

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

When I was a kid we were staying at the Omni in Atlanta and it must have been right around when Hogan was doing pressers after joining WCW because we saw him going up the escalator in his yellow underwear and my older brother was just like "DON'T LOOK AT HIM!" like he was afraid we were going to embarrass the Hulkster or he was gonna Hulk out on us or something

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Jamesman posted:

Throw him through the glass? After ringing his bell severely at least twice, and probably hopped up on adrenaline? Yeah. Not surprised. Heat of the moment and brain damage don't lead to good decision making.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

:dudsmile:

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Oh my god, I can already picture the "IT WAS ME, AUSTIN!" bit with his face blurred out. That elevates it to a whole new level

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Vince McMahon getting memory holed and blurred from WWE footage is beautiful poetic justice

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
they didnt have time to completely remove him and brock so they still show up as AI controlled wrestlers

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I kinda wish they just CGI'd a moustache on all on all the old footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

no this is uhhhhh rince... jackman... yeah that's it