Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Farg posted:

The yakuza 8 dub is better tbh. You lose so many good little character bits playing in Japanese (you don't speak Japanese) (Idgaf about prozd or whoever voices kiryu in English I'm an adult)

:goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Farg posted:

The yakuza 8 dub is better tbh. You lose so many good little character bits playing in Japanese (you don't speak Japanese) (Idgaf about prozd or whoever voices kiryu in English I'm an adult)

havnt played it yet but i know with 100% certainty you are exactly and completely wrong

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

to be frank, in a straight one on one street fight phil would destroy that vtuber child

DSP ---> <---- Vtuber

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

haha argh

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Leal posted:

DSP ---> <---- Vtuber

effortless. a true king

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

interestingly this also tells people everything about you

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Farg posted:

Stux posted:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

emongg should voice kiryu

Kiryu with the botched green screen let's gooooooo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

to be frank, in a straight one on one street fight phil would destroy that vtuber child

Also, in a Street Fighter match.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Farg posted:

what kind of character bits do you mean?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm going to assume it's just minor things that are untranslated like combat phrases and what not?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
I say these are "minor things" but I also play a lot of games in eng (like Genshin) because of untranslated combat/idle lines so

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
But in the english dub of yakuza 7, Solid Snake voices Barkeep

BARKEEP

come on people

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Skill issue, I'm afraid. Simply learn some Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Farg posted:

kiryu's dub VA is terrible. totally unfitting for the character

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

Ba....baka!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know anything about whatever youtuber he is i just know the voice sounds bad

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
you can not speak a language and still appreciate the performance... subs ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
giving up quality of performance for the main character etc and all of the cutscenes so you can understand the combat barks is pyschotic. doubly so bcos not understanding combat barks makes them 1000x less annoying

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm really missing out on kiryu screaming "rear end in a top hat!" for the 900th time this hour.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the only time I have seen "hire a youtuber to be your voice actor" work well is SungWon Cho as Senshi in the dungeon meshi dub

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Actually how does Baka Mitai work in english

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mordiceius posted:

to be completely sincere on the subject - stuff like BotW is something I want to like. Twice now I've tried to make it through the game but I always just burn out. And that is wholly on me because I feel like BotW (and especially TotK) require some creativity on the part of the player. Every time I see someone gush about those games, they talk about all of the creative hijinks they get into.

I am not a creative person. Just like some people struggle with directions, I struggle with sandboxy "make your own fun" games

This is why I tend to stick to fairly linear narratively-dense RPGs.

It's a good and smart thing to understand your own tastes and preferred way of approaching things, especially to understand why you don't enjoy something and whether because it's poorly executed or it's just executed in a way that doesn't appeal to you.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

the only time I have seen "hire a youtuber to be your voice actor" work well is SungWon Cho as Senshi in the dungeon meshi dub

SungWon does a very good job in Craig of the Creek so he's not just strictly a dubber either.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Farg posted:

i'm going to pull off a heat action and smash your face through a microwave and then pour scalding hot coffee on you - given to me by that convenience story employee because they are my friend.
cock's shotgun

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

giving up quality of performance for the main character etc and all of the cutscenes so you can understand the combat barks is pyschotic. doubly so bcos not understanding combat barks makes them 1000x less annoying

This.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Stux posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat!

This ain't a show, dipshit!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you can not speak a language and still appreciate the performance... subs ftw

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Paladinus posted:

KA TA KA NA. ITS VERY CONSISTENT

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oh this is quite awful

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

He is in the game, too, I believe. He definitely voiced some small parts in Yakuza 7.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SirSamVimes posted:

probably works better when the youtuber is a guy whos content is him voice acting

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

yong yea is also on record as defending peoples' use of the gamer word and when called out on it, he gave some excuse like "i haven't lived in america long, i wasn't aware people saw it as negative" (he'd been living in america for over a decade at this point)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I enjoyed 7's English dub but just like Triangle Strategy I might stick to Japanese for Infinite Wealth. At least until that mod that replaces Kiryu with his Japanese voice while everyone else stays English is finished.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Silly game 'Roundabout' has a lot of youtuber and ex-SA people doing all the voice acting. It works because the performances are kinda bad on purpose - that's usually bullshit I know, but in Roundabout it's true. They're going for something specific.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ibblebibble posted:

I enjoyed 7's English dub but just like Triangle Strategy I might stick to Japanese. At least until that mod that replaces Kiryu with his Japanese voice while everyone else stays English is finished.

I absolutely bounced off eng Triangle Strategy because woooooof

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Note Block posted:

I absolutely bounced off eng Triangle Strategy because woooooof

Yeah it's another good example of a mostly fine/great English voice cast being ruined by one specific voice and it's the voice of one of the MCs so you have to hear it all the time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

yong yea is also on record as defending peoples' use of the gamer word and when called out on it, he gave some excuse like "i haven't lived in america long, i wasn't aware people saw it as negative" (he'd been living in america for over a decade at this point)

What’s the gamer word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yongyea monotonely say-singing "breaking the ruuuuules" is gonna be playing in my head for a while now.