Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I should, once again, stress that I don't really have a dog in this hunt one way or another on the issue. I just find the theory crafting and debate around edge case scenarios interesting in that bored, bullshitty fashion.

Nessus posted:

I figured they just absorb it the way vampires normally kind of absorb blood. Maybe we can get an official statement from the devs.
I could have sworn that Conspicuous Consumption in previous editions had you disgorging the organs later but I don't have access to those books atm. Organovore, the V5 equivalent, talks about vampires making smoothies out of the drat things like they did in both that one Creepshow episode and throughout the El Conde movie (you know, the one where Pinochet is actually a vampire trying to starve himself to death).

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Vampos are inherently fueled as much by the act of taking from a living thinking thing as they are by the actual blood itself. It's why you can't really get by suckin down a cow. I think the 'Big Humanity means you're pretty close to being human again haha yaaay' thing is sort of just short-sightedly written; if we go with the 'vampirism is a wound on the soul' thing, it's less fixing the wound and more magical thinking denying it to an absurd degree.
Excellent username/avatar/post combo.

It's pretty clear that they lifted some of the Humanity rules from the Time of Thinblood while also trying to make Thinbloods / low Potency vampires their own thing. In previous editions absurdly high Humanity just opened up the possibility of Golconda-via-ST-fiat as well as not pinging as Wyrm-tainted to Garou. Now it's both how close you are to still being human while also being next to impossible to raise.

Also the talk about being able to drink (significate pause) wine just makes me think of how bloodwyne was a thing on chats which was, you guessed it, just wine mixed with blood.

quote:

Really, the flaw here is 'you must ruin the thing you feed on in a way that is inimical to its continued life and not possible to hide,' not so much the meat itself.
And then they built Paths around being able to not feel too sad about doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Really, the flaw here is 'you must ruin the thing you feed on in a way that is inimical to its continued life and not possible to hide,' not so much the meat itself.

"We'll just tell your sire we ate it all."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've mentioned my chantry approach a couple of times so I thought I'd share it. For my current game, the Chantry is something the players get to develop by sinking XP into, which benefits everyone at the expense of individual progression. The trade-off for this is that as the shared backgrounds mount, they get better benefits than individual backgrounds. For the current game, it's a townhouse inhabited by the mages and their servants and attendants, and everything gets flavoured off that. And as always, it comes with a Card.

The core concept, obviously, is selecting 5 Backgrounds that work better or at least 'just as well' as collective ones as individual - the selection is what gives you the most difference (so replacing Sanctum with Status, for instance, gives you a politically-significant but ritual-poor Chantry). Here, its the 4 listed ones and Allies, split into 3 specific statted-and-flavoured servants. The Resonances, in turn, mostly exist to give the players a sense of how their outlooks and actions have been warping their magic.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Hello again, I’m back with another recap from our New York game. It’s another completely social session with plots and rumors in the Elysium. This session was split into two parts. First half is basically a cutscene with minimal player input, the second half is completely player driven. As usual, our coterie consists of Thomas the Triad Tremere and Benedict the GOP Ventrue.

The night begins in the Art Hole, an art gallery and the only Camarilla Elysium in New York City. Cockroach is being formally introduced to the court and properly inducted to Camarilla. Uncle Smelly, Cockroach’s sire, tags along with the player characters, since they are the reason Uncle Smelly has recognised Cockroach as his Childe. He also provides some political commentary on the goings on of the court. This induction is quite quick and simple, especially compared to what the player coterie went through way back. The only wrinkle is that the Prince names Bedford Avenue subway station as Cockroach’s domain. Cockroach had already claimed the station under an agreement with the players, since it was in their territory, but now the Prince was subverting local agreements to create local schisms. This was on purpose. Luckily Cockroach and the players have amicable relations and this doesn’t cause any issues.

After this, Portia addresses the court. She is the leader of a neighboring coterie, the same one that Cockroach is a part of, and she is a young Kindred who runs a nightclub. Portia requests that the court considers her application to become the new Keeper of Elysium, to replace the missing Katherine Weiss (who hasn’t been relevant in our game, but in the lore she is several centuries older than she claims to be and has succumbed to the Beckoning). The Prince is not keen on this request, but grants Portia the chance to address the audience. Portia refuses this chance and instead requests that the Primogen Council votes on the matter. The Primogen Council votes, and while several Primogens vote with the Prince out of loyalty, several Primogens who have traditionally been close to the Prince and supported the existing balance of power, have switched sides and voted for Portia. Majority of the Primogens back Portia, and the Prince names her as the new Keeper. The balance of power has shifted.

With the assembled audience pondering what this soft-coup means for the Prince and what happens now, I have run out of prepared material and the players are free to do as they wish. The first order of business is to make contact with Benedict’s sire, Leonard Tarasov, to let him know that Benedict is back and ready to serve his clan. Tarasov asks Thomas, “Benedict’s doctor”, if he has checked Benedict’s body to make sure no tracking devices have been implanted in him. The player’s hadn’t even considered this possibility, but are immediately paranoid as gently caress, and wonder if they should leave, but Tarasov explains to them that if they have compromised the Elysium when all of the local Camarilla leadership has gathered there, the coterie will be the first ones to die. They quickly drop in the back rooms to perform an examination and find nothing. Tarasov is pleased that his asset has been returned to him uncompromised.

After this there were a few shorter scenes. Congratulations were offered to Portia and her coterie, any questions as to how she managed to pull this off were answered with “You don’t wait for opportunities, you take opportunities” and a Premonition was received from a friendly Malkavian as to how to deal with that clan’s Primogen, who was actively trying to harm the players. Aisling Sturbridge also informed Thomas that he was now banned from the chantry at Barnard College, since unwelcome guests were following in his footsteps. Thomas assumed this meant the FBI Special Affairs Division, but secretly this also includes Carter Vanderweyden, the Malkavian Primogen, and his people.

Speaking of Carter, Benedict decided to give diplomacy a chance and approached him. Since Benedict personally hadn’t caused any offense, he reasoned that he could make amends on behalf of his coterie. Now, this is Elysium, and in public Carter is the kindest and friendliest Kindred there is, far from the psychopath who wanted to cut off the players’ limbs. So Benedict’s efforts to negotiate some sort of peace deal was unsuccessful, but he did end up promising to bring some sort of surprise gift to Carter in six days. I love it when players create quests and add time limits for themselves, makes my task as a GM much easier!

And that’s it for this session!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I've got another V5 rule hypothetical that I wouldn't mind some input on.

A ghoul can buy level-1 powers in any Discipline their doms know, including (i assume) multiples from the same Discipline. What happens to those powers if they're Embraced? Do they have a workaround for having multiple powers with just one dot in a Discipline?

Or is that considered a Ghoul Merit adjacent ability and thus some XP is refunded - thus giving back XP to purchase actual Disciplines but then being limited to just one per dot?

e.g. a Ministry's Ghoul, for reasons known to no one, has spent 20xp on powers and has 10xp on hand. They have Weight of the Feather (Protean, and their initial ability), Awe (Presence), and Daunt (Presence). If they're Embraced do they

1) spend 5xp (from the 10 on hand) on both Presence and Protean 1, keeping all powers and leaving them at 0xp?
2) get refunded the 20xp, giving them a total of 30xp to spend? They have to rebuy Discipline dots and thus are back to being limited to one power per dot.
3) get told 'sucks to suck!', lose the 20xp spent (since it wasn't spent on Ghoul Advantages), and have 10xp to spend on Disciplines?

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 13, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
1. makes sense to me that your magic blood powers are retained when you get more magic blood. Maybe if Steve Ghoul got embraced by someone who wasn’t his main supply, but otherwise.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

citybeatnik posted:

I've got another V5 rule hypothetical that I wouldn't mind some input on.

A ghoul can buy level-1 powers in any Discipline their doms know, including (i assume) multiples from the same Discipline. What happens to those powers if they're Embraced? Do they have a workaround for having multiple powers with just one dot in a Discipline?

Or is that considered a Ghoul Merit adjacent ability and thus some XP is refunded - thus giving back XP to purchase actual Disciplines but then being limited to just one per dot?

e.g. a Ministry's Ghoul, for reasons known to no one, has spent 20xp on powers and has 10xp on hand. They have Weight of the Feather (Protean, and their initial ability), Awe (Presence), and Daunt (Presence). If they're Embraced do they

1) spend 5xp (from the 10 on hand) on both Presence and Protean 1, keeping all powers and leaving them at 0xp?
2) get refunded the 20xp, giving them a total of 30xp to spend? They have to rebuy Discipline dots and thus are back to being limited to one power per dot.
3) get told 'sucks to suck!', lose the 20xp spent (since it wasn't spent on Ghoul Advantages), and have 10xp to spend on Disciplines?

This situation is why the cobbled-together PC ghoul rules (and PC ghouls as a concept, in general) are stupid. It's such a corner-case play option unless you're doing an all-ghoul game.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MoonKnight posted:

This situation is why the cobbled-together PC ghoul rules (and PC ghouls as a concept, in general) are stupid. It's such a corner-case play option unless you're doing an all-ghoul game.

However, an all-ghoul game is rad as hell, and should also end with everyone dying.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

However, an all-ghoul game is rad as hell, and should also end with everyone dying.

Just lol if your all ghoul game isn’t Paranoia with a domitor instead of Friend Computer.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

For sure.

Or if you want the badass or downer ending, everyone gets loose, freelance ghouls out murdering vamps and taking their blood and continuing to perpetuate the cycle of abuse and violence.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

As much as it fell apart at the end, the basic concept of Giovanni Chronicles IV was fun - all the PCs are ghouled to the same domitor, who needs them for daytime and mundane work but if they work hard enough la famiglia will grant them the embrace (combined with the family/clan politics that make trying to skip the line or pull some Crusader Kings shenanigans a death sentence)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Reading the second inquisition book and did they really call the cell from Brazil BOES. As in BOES from Brazil? Because lol

It is almost funny enough for me, as a Brazilian, to forgive how ignorant the whole entry is.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Please Boes to Brazil.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hey remember Vampire Chapters?

It's back on Kickstarter with some more!

I think it was good? Does anybody know?

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008

moths posted:

Hey remember Vampire Chapters?

It's back on Kickstarter with some more!

I think it was good? Does anybody know?

It’s absolutely godawful. There’s not just a few typos here and there, pretty much every chapter we played had some kind of game-breaking error in it that we had to fix ourselves. Some were misprints, some were just gaps in the rules. Even if all that were fixed, the game itself is just… not that good. I cannot fathom all the reviewers praising this game.

It’s actually kind of enraging that they’re offering to sell an actually working version, though I wouldn’t trust this one either.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh goddamn, thanks. Looks like you've helped me dodge a bullet.

I remember the FOMO on the first one, but I wasn't in a position to get it. (Not going to print after the ks should have been a warning!)

...And then I just never heard anything about it since.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Been playing Pacific Drive. It's wonderful, and is great inspiration for umbral travel. You're basically a Void Engineer.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Reading the second inquisition book and did they really call the cell from Brazil BOES. As in BOES from Brazil? Because lol

It is almost funny enough for me, as a Brazilian, to forgive how ignorant the whole entry is.

They were intentionally making it a play on BOPE, a Brazilian writer apparently had that wonderful idea. Guess they really wanted you to see the SI as a horrible, abusive group that is truly villainous. In the first preview of the book it actually says BOPE but they quickly changed it.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018
Looks like a few things were announced for WoD at the Renegade virtual convention. Took this list from a Facebook post.

V5 - Gehenna War Sourcebook - https://renegadegamestudios.com/vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition-roleplaying-game-gehenna-war-sourcebook/

Vampire Rivals (and 'Hunter: Rivals'): Martial Law expansion - https://renegadegamestudios.com/vampire-the-masquerade-rivals-expandable-card-game-martial-law/

H5 - Incognito Report (Monster collection/module)- https://renegadegamestudios.com/hunter-the-reckoning-5th-edition-roleplaying-game-incognito-report-sourcebook/

(Reminder of Alma Mater coming - https://renegadegamestudios.com/hunter-the-reckoning-5th-edition-roleplaying-game-alma-maters-sourcebook/)

W5 - Storytellers Screen & Storytellers Toolkit - https://renegadegamestudios.com/werewolf-the-apocalypse-5th-edition-roleplaying-game-storytellers-screen-toolkit/

W5 - Shattered Nation Setting Book - https://renegadegamestudios.com/werewolf-the-apocalypse-5th-edition-roleplaying-game-shattered-nation-sourcebook/

VtM LARP - Laws of the Night (pre-existing book re-released through renegades distribution as hard- and softcover) - https://renegadegamestudios.com/vampire-the-masquerade-live-action-roleplaying-game-laws-of-the-night-deluxe/

Gehenna War and Shattered Nation both seem like they might turn out interesting.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I haven't been on STV in a long time other than following the occasional link directly to a product someone's talking about, and it's amazing that the first thing I see in creator resources* is "fixed Deviant templates" for such minor, easy-to-miss problems as "cover template doesn't let you properly place your own cover image" and "white fade at bottom of page 4 of this four-page template isn't working." Also all this poo poo is like 700MB each which I fully expect to be roughly 50% unnecessary duplicates like every other template they've put out. Stellar work as always, White Wolf.

* I did this because after a few amusing glitches when audaciously "trying to use DTRPG like a normal person" I was like "Hey, where did all the third-party stuff go? It was all a jumble of ugly inconsistent logos to the left." Turns out now they're a smaller selection of still inconsistent, ugly images at the very bottom of the page, a great place to put other major parts of your site or service. Then it turns out that only main DTRPG is using their lovely new layout? Because it breaks even more on the partner community content portals? But there's still just tons of occasionally broken image links anyway all over the place now? Good lord, DTRPG is kind of a trashfire right now. I'm sure everyone who relies on it as a sales outlet is thrilled.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

That Old Tree posted:

I haven't been on STV in a long time other than following the occasional link directly to a product someone's talking about, and it's amazing that the first thing I see in creator resources* is "fixed Deviant templates" for such minor, easy-to-miss problems as "cover template doesn't let you properly place your own cover image" and "white fade at bottom of page 4 of this four-page template isn't working." Also all this poo poo is like 700MB each which I fully expect to be roughly 50% unnecessary duplicates like every other template they've put out. Stellar work as always, White Wolf.

I mean, is that really White Wolf or is it Onyx Path? Because at this point those really are two different companies doing their own thing with one of them licensing out actual games you can buy in a store and other one doing who the hell knows what while catering to the people still posting on their Discord.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What is Onyx Path up these days? Been a while since I followed any of their releases.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ZearothK posted:

What is Onyx Path up these days? Been a while since I followed any of their releases.

Still not hiring many non-white people and promoting a non-inclusive work culture, same as it ever was, I'd imagine.

Maybe they're making an IDF RPG where you get to invade Gaza. They can call it, "Tales of Justified Response." :rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 5, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did I miss a particularly Zionist Kickstarter update?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

ZearothK posted:

They have something they're teasing called Curseborne which just seems to be a Monster Mash monster-families type game from what little they've teased about it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I mean, is that really White Wolf or is it Onyx Path? Because at this point those really are two different companies doing their own thing with one of them licensing out actual games you can buy in a store and other one doing who the hell knows what while catering to the people still posting on their Discord.

I mean CoD is ultimately their property even if they don't give a poo poo about it, and the same general problem extends to the W5 template which I don't think OPP is in charge of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

I mean CoD is ultimately their property even if they don't give a poo poo about it, and the same general problem extends to the W5 template which I don't think OPP is in charge of.

OPP hasn't had a thing to do with W5 as far as I know.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
OPP has no control over W5 in any fashion and seem to have been waved off of doing any more CofD products due to White Wolf's just general.... interference.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kurieg posted:

OPP has no control over W5 in any fashion and seem to have been waved off of doing any more CofD products due to White Wolf's just general.... interference.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the licensing means they can't make anything without WW's approval, and if WW won't approve any new products through them, then....that's about it for any CofD product lines.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yup, they've been going hard on their Storypath stuff since they own it. I'd be interested in them doing an Urban Fantasy setting using storypath and seeing how that turns out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I mean, isn't that Scion already?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's very much a flavor of UF, but I want more of the wod/cod type setting

edit: just give me Planet of Shadows lol

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 5, 2024

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Curseborne or whatever they’re calling it is probably that, except they refuse to actually talk about what it is in favor a weird ARG/LARP thing that is pissing off a lot of the fans in their discord.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i thought curseborne was a dndlike because they have resigned themselves to the state of rpgs as they are

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It might be, it could be a box of Japanese snacks, no one loving knows because as said, they won’t actually say what it is

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Soonmot posted:

It's very much a flavor of UF, but I want more of the wod/cod type setting

edit: just give me Planet of Shadows lol

Forget Planet of Shadows, we could get reaaal pretentious with the knockoff name. Mundum Tenebrae! Wicked World! Blood! At the Disco!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
BLOOD! AT THE DISCO! as a game that just lea s full into the gonzo aspect mixed with a healthy dose of WWDitS would be a great game

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Loomer posted:

Forget Planet of Shadows, we could get reaaal pretentious with the knockoff name. Mundum Tenebrae! Wicked World! Blood! At the Disco!

Can I point anyone to Vampire: Undeath? :D

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

MoonKnight posted:

Gehenna War and Shattered Nation both seem like they might turn out interesting.

Yeah I sense a bit of backtracking going on Parawolf's end since Gehenna is a major world changing event well beyond the local scope intended by WOD 5e and from what little read about Shartted nation onyx parth? well it could be summed up in four words somehow Albrecht is canon.

I suspect WOD 5 as the whole might have catched Rise of Skywalkeiutius that or parawolf didn't give they authors any directions beyond the source books so they have to mine old lore to get anything done.

Mister Olympus posted:

i thought curseborne was a dndlike because they have resigned themselves to the state of rpgs as they are

It could be simple as onyx parth porting all they old WOD books into the storyparth system with a few name changes.

Soonmot posted:

BLOOD! AT THE DISCO! as a game that just lea s full into the gonzo aspect mixed with a healthy dose of WWDitS would be a great game

Honestly talking about Disco I would love the guys who wrote Disco Elysium to have a crack at WOD and see what they come up with, or at least go inde and make a WOD inspired game since I doubt they would work with big companies due to what happened with ZA/UM...

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Yeah I sense a bit of backtracking going on Parawolf's end since Gehenna is a major world changing event well beyond the local scope intended by WOD 5e and from what little read about Shartted nation onyx parth? well it could be summed up in four words somehow Albrecht is canon.

Why is it backtracking? They've never said 'lol you must have everything be local,' they made a game with thematics focused on the players and their cities, but nothing was ever preventing you from doing other stuff. Adding options is just that, adding options. Even first run books like Camarilla talked about things going on in other parts of the world, major events that weren't local, and such.