Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Next up we learn James Somerton actually is dead, and has been for eighteen years. The person in the videos stole his identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Does anyone have a breakdown of this whole dark id thing? I only know of him from a couple of lps, clearly I've been missing out.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I don't think Somerton is competent enough for identity theft. The social crimes he was accused of were long-term, long-form, and consistent, but not anything which would have required a hefty amount of skill to pull off.

I can get the idea that an upheaval would cause him some degree of panic. From what I understand, he lives in Toronto, and that is a place where sudden financial reversal can have real consequences. The constant threat of possible homelessness there was tangible enough for me working a regular 9 to 5 job; and for all intents and purposes he got fired from his job as a YouTuber. It's not really a place where one could literally survive for more than a month without a stable income stream, and it's already been longer than that. I can easily imagine that being a massive complicating factor for him in this situation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Well I'm glad I woke up to "yeah he most likely ain't dead"

Same.

carrionman posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of this whole dark id thing? I only know of him from a couple of lps, clearly I've been missing out.

Recently goldmined itterations of Saga thread. *Checks notes* bottom of page 1562 has a Twitter post of slowbeef, fellow lettus play SA Alumni, uploading a 15 minute audio file. Trust, listen, it's a treat and transcription is unnecessary. If you come out the other end of that retsupray podcast wanting more, it'll keep going. I got to page 1579 before I fell off.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What in the loving poo poo is this whole space. Like, theDarkId now? gently caress me. Like, I was just here expecting Somerton updates.

I watched a podcast today where an ex-cop who''s seen dead bodies and is now a big name in the YouTube football sphere said that what he's currently doing is the worst job he's ever done.

I mean, when you know there's a lot of people pulling for Somerton to actually be dead so they can score points in the discourse, that's a lot.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pants Donkey posted:

I mean, it IS Somerton, so it’ll be a stolen identity

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
TheDarkId refered to his "Wife" as Number 2, to indicate she was also from a secret spy agency before they met and he seduced her into loving him and betraying her former country.

He also claims he killed dozens of neo nazis who attacked his house in Canada, leaving their bodies all over his property including one in the kitchen with a meat cleaver buried in his head.

His discord believed every word of it.

Also all photos of his wife and kids were very obviously shutterstock photos or in one case for a photo his daughter he seems to have taken it from the IMDB page for Larisa Oleynik from Secret World of Alex Mack.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 6, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Invictus posted:

I do not subscribe to this guy because I have zero interest in Hearthstone and that is 99% of his bread and butter, but I DO check him out whenever he does a video about Magic: The Gathering from a hearthstone player's perspective. he's had a few "rate these classic MTG cards" where he has a seasoned MTG player come on and dole out examples to him, then explain the gameplay mechanics, lore, tournament history, whatever to him after he guesses. it's great fun, he's really enthusiastic and makes me wish I actually cared about hearthstone because he's just always having a blast. his reaction to Shahrazad, one of the most insane cards in any game ever, is perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxVGgtHOvw&hd=1

one of the first ones he did was with pro MTG world champion and literal magic card Paulo Vitor Dama da Rosa and it's a great time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wZa8yq5zbc&hd=1

and a playlist of all the MTG videos he's done

As someone who plays far too much Hearthstone Rarran is one of the most entertaining creators associated with the game. He's a decent enough player but is really creative when it comes to making custom challenges for the game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

carrionman posted:

the dark id claimed to be dying from cancer and only had a day left to live everyone was shocked and then slowbeef tweeted that it was likely a lie because the Dark Id was a compulsive liar. The rabbit hole goes even deeper. Id claimed to have a daughter who died of cancer he does not have a daughter.

the dark id claimed to be a mercenary. not just any mercenary. a badass mercenary that killed people for a living and threatened to kill the director of ICE when ICE contacted him about the immigration problem and that he met his wife in a gunfight where they were hired to kill the same person

but thats not all

the dark id's best friend is a japanese woman who lives with him after he saved her from an abusive father. she is not real. she is the dark id and, in fact, all of the moderators in Id's discord are probably Id

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

Also all photos of his wife and kids were very obviously shutterstock photos or in one case for a photo his daughter he seems to have taken it from the IMDB page for Larisa Oleynik from Secret World of Alex Mack.

lol at this new lore

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the dark id claimed to be dying from cancer and only had a day left to live everyone was shocked and then slowbeef tweeted that it was likely a lie because the Dark Id was a compulsive liar. The rabbit hole goes even deeper. Id claimed to have a daughter who died of cancer he does not have a daughter.

the dark id claimed to be a mercenary. not just any mercenary. a badass mercenary that killed people for a living and threatened to kill the director of ICE when ICE contacted him about the immigration problem and that he met his wife in a gunfight where they were hired to kill the same person

but thats not all

the dark id's best friend is a japanese woman who lives with him after he saved her from an abusive father. she is not real. she is the dark id and, in fact, all of the moderators in Id's discord are probably Id

also that abusive father is different from the other abusive father TheDarkId walked in on after a failed suicide attempt and then mercy killed him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The japanese girl who TheDarkId convinced not to jump off a bridge by saying he couldn't swim therefore could not save her also posted in discord that she keeps walking into a room and sees TheDarkId with a gun in his mouth and talks him down from suicide by asking him to play Halo with her.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he was playing russian roulette by himself and lost

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
His discord has banned all talk of the slowbeef allegations and is trying to force everyone to ignore it so they can agree on what to watch for movie night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he was playing russian roulette by himself and lost

when master chief said he needed a weapon he didn’t mean it like that

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It should be noted the fake Japanese best friend is canonically a teenager and he, the super hardcore suicidal ex CIA and ice operative, is in his early 40s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you can tell he's a video game character because he's an insanely badass soldier that will die if he is submerged in water

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Is thedarkid banned?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Nope, neither is his alt banned

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
but since he's dead he should be

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Annointed posted:

Is thedarkid banned?

No and for a good reason: everyone wants to see if he comes crawling back at some point.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
on his deathbed he told everyone in his discord to ignore any activity on his gamer profiles because he bequeathed all his accounts to family and friends

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also unlike most people he doesn't seem to have like scammed anyone or done any of it for money, just to have weird clout from his lies? Its a really bizarre story.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zore posted:

Also unlike most people he doesn't seem to have like scammed anyone or done any of it for money, just to have weird clout from his lies? Its a really bizarre story.

Think he had a Patreon so no he was getting money too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEc0XU6fTE

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

carrionman posted:

If you want a direct link it's here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028862&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1562#post538137312

And it washes into the new thread for a bit, too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055683

tl;dr this is how he said he met his wife:

Dawgstar posted:

Good news, the Witchfinder General of Massachusetts Bay has discovered Harry Potter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbIPdL5ggEQ

You'd think it wouldn't take so long for a 17th-Century witch hunter to break into the Harry Potter scene tbh.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 6, 2024

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Think he had a Patreon so no he was getting money too.

Right but it was at least ostensibly for his LP/Streaming which is like the one thing he actually does. He never did a GoFundMe for his fake kids funeral or whatever.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Man, that's bizarre. Been a while since I've read his lps but none of that ever came through in those so I guess it was contained to his discord?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've known people in TTRPGs who love to exaggerate their backgrounds, like how a stint in the National Guard turns into working for Seal Team 6, but never as elaborate as this TheDarkId cat.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

Man, that's bizarre. Been a while since I've read his lps but none of that ever came through in those so I guess it was contained to his discord?

it was mostly in his discord but he did tweet about doing security at the rio olympics and getting into a shoot out lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

I've known people in TTRPGs who love to exaggerate their backgrounds, like how a stint in the National Guard turns into working for Seal Team 6, but never as elaborate as this TheDarkId cat.

i've seen all of these lies before most on these very forums but i've never seen someone use all of them at the same time its incredible

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Crain posted:

Palworld however has a different feel to it. Yeah it's directly linked to Pokemon for sure, yeah it's mostly a competent asset flip when it comes to the bolted on game systems they added in. But, there's this sense that they're really trying to make the 3D pokemon game that should exist. Not necessarily Pokemon games need guns and slavery, that's just internet edgelord poo poo seemingly done for hype and word of mouth reasons. But Pokemon and Nintendo as a whole have basically stopped trying to make a "good" Pokemon game. Like their billion dollar cash cow doesn't even have decent character animations? It's still just the same menu based everything since the Gameboy era? Like, Palworld is shouting "Look at this! We made this poo poo with free Unreal/Unity Assets and a few over caffeinated nerds over the course of a couple of years. What the gently caress are you doing?".

Maybe it's just nice to see someone eating Pokemon and Nintendo's lunch for once. They're an easy and deserving target.

the development of recent pokemon is a pretty baffling phenomenon, in the sense that it's puzzling why nintendo allows them to release in the state that they have. we're not talking about IPs like starfox or f-zero, that have long since lost whatever significant bit of popularity they've had at one point. and we're not talking about a side game handed off to a C/D tier third party developer like Paon with Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast. this is loving POKEMON. nintendo's most popular and lucrative franchise. the IP didn't spawn a popular video game series, but a goddamned INDUSTRY.

so why the gently caress does it have some of the worst quality control ever seen from a nintendo title? you can argue whether nintendo gets everything right with games like mario odyssey, breath of the wild, or hell, even the metroid prime series, but you can absolutely see the attempt at offering a level of care and respect in developing them.

pokemon on the other hand, always seemed so half-assed, even when they tried. seemed like a B- tier series at best. and the recent offerings are just embarrassing. not just from a game design/content/fine tuning perspective, but from a technical perspective too, which is probably the most shocking thing. say what you will about nintendo games, but at the very least, they're not buggy and glitchy. nintendo making any games like that would be noteworthy, but to see one of their -if not THE- tentpole series given such shoddy treatment is flabbergasting.

Dawgstar posted:

Good news, the Witchfinder General of Massachusetts Bay has discovered Harry Potter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbIPdL5ggEQ

oh poo poo, it's the guy that dunks on confederate dipshits. definitely gonna watch now

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

the development of recent pokemon is a pretty baffling phenomenon, in the sense that it's puzzling why nintendo allows them to release in the state that they have. we're not talking about IPs like starfox or f-zero, that have long since lost whatever significant bit of popularity they've had at one point. and we're not talking about a side game handed off to a C/D tier third party developer like Paon with Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast. this is loving POKEMON. nintendo's most popular and lucrative franchise. the IP didn't spawn a popular video game series, but a goddamned INDUSTRY.

so why the gently caress does it have some of the worst quality control ever seen from a nintendo title? you can argue whether nintendo gets everything right with games like mario odyssey, breath of the wild, or hell, even the metroid prime series, but you can absolutely see the attempt at offering a level of care and respect in developing them.

pokemon on the other hand, always seemed so half-assed, even when they tried. seemed like a B- tier series at best. and the recent offerings are just embarrassing. not just from a game design/content/fine tuning perspective, but from a technical perspective too, which is probably the most shocking thing. say what you will about nintendo games, but at the very least, they're not buggy and glitchy. nintendo making any games like that would be noteworthy, but to see one of their -if not THE- tentpole series given such shoddy treatment is flabbergasting.

because millions of people are going to buy them every year either way

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
pokemon has zero serious competition and nintendo has no reason to innovate because of it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was mostly in his discord but he did tweet about doing security at the rio olympics and getting into a shoot out lol

i'm almost certain this is based on the stadium stage in Max Payne 3

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Wow that DarkId stuff is loving wild it was one of his LPs that made me get an account lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I thought sword snd shield were so bad I sold my switch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alaois posted:

because millions of people are going to buy them every year either way

Yep honestly the best comparison for Pokemon would probably be something like CoD: A regular/semi-regular release that is a lock to sell millions upon millions of units and so from a pure business standpoint there's no reason to invest anything into it besides the bare minimum iteration required to justify a new release.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
bring back fat pikachu