Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Charlie and mac from sunny in Philadelphia are in old Law and order episodes and they look like babies lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So far I remember seeing Bradley Cooper as a slimy lawyer, Cynthia Nixon hamming it up as a suspect pretending to have Dissociative Identity Disorder, Amanda Seyfried and Hayden Panettiere. I've seen plenty of others I recognized but these stand out and I know the name of.

My complaint is a minor one because I do love seeing all the guest stars.

I'm watching SVU now (it was added to Netflix in my country recently) and one thing that really stands out is the performance of most (if not all) of the child actors, especially the younger ones. (Teens are hit or miss.) They're absolutely stellar with few exceptions, and for a show that centers around kids a lot of the time and deals with seriously heavy themes that's really important, but poo poo, a lot of the time they blow the adult actors out of the water.

To bring this back to (irrationally) irritating, I'm getting kind of sick of Ice T. I don't even mean his "kids these days call it [meme]" schtick, that I do appreciate and enjoy, but I don't know if it's his character or his acting or what but his (trying to be) hard rear end line delivery just grates on me. It's too forced or insincere and nearly every line is done with the same intonation and whatnot. I dunno. Benson is fine, Stabler is loving insane and I love it (is this the point where I insert the I know it's copaganda and that poo poo shouldn't be acceptable? Pretend I did.), I like the ADA and captain, and Munch is is hilarious but I could do without Ice T even though he has his moments.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Law & Order pulled from the same New York/New Jersey acting pool as HBO starting in the late eighties, so you'll see a ton of people that have been on three HBO shows and two episodes of L&O as different characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pedro Pascal was in a late season (original run) episode where he played a pimp who raped a girl but didn't kill her so he gets a deal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You should check out the original Miami Vice run. NBC put that show in the timeslot where shows went to die, Friday night at 10pm, and for the first two seasons at least it was the best thing on TV. Let's see, off the top of my head you had: Bruce Willis as a gun smuggler; Davis Strathairn as a cop; Liam Neeson typecast as an Irish terrorist; Nathan Lane playing against type as a serial rapist; a whole bunch of other people that went on to bigger things, like Ron Perlman, Giancarlo Esposito, Laurence Fishburn, Steve Buscemi, Michael Richards, Dan Hedaya, Richard Belzer, Luis Guzman. And that's not even considering the stunt casting: Phil Collins, Leonard Cohen, Lee Iacocca, G. Gordon Liddy, and Miles Davis as a pimp named Ivory Jones.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Mar 5, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I loved X-Files for that. Jack Black and Seth Green among many, many other young faces.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

https://youtu.be/P00RAWfFvF0?si=X3mLB5aCgB9fqTnz

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lmao Benson just got a pizza delivered to her by name at the precinct that she didn't order, while working on a high profile dangerous case, and she's just "I didn't order it, throw it out" no questions asked like that isn't a red flag at all and another detective is like "ooooh, double pepperoni, don't bin it, I'll take it" and surprise, surprise, pipe bomb, but also it's a minor blast that just throws some people around without causing serious damage or maiming/killing anyone.

I know it's copaganda in the sense of 'by any means necessary' but also for drama's sake they act in the dumbest loving ways if the plot asks for it. Common sense and previous experience is just ignored on a whim if needed, which makes the characters look like idiots a lot of the time.

eta:
This episode has Jared Harris and Shannon Woodward though so whatever, that makes up for all the writing faults.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Mar 5, 2024

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Taeke posted:

Because they're the sole recognizable face while all the others are unknown actors.
I guess it's a screenwriting rule or some poo poo but I am irrationally irritated that the guy who did it always has to be someone the audience saw earlier so they can go "holy poo poo, it's that guy who had twenty seconds of pointless screen time" or whatever. Who gives a gently caress, just have the villain be someone we don't know if you couldn't be arsed to write a whole role for them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I guess it's a screenwriting rule or some poo poo but I am irrationally irritated that the guy who did it always has to be someone the audience saw earlier so they can go "holy poo poo, it's that guy who had twenty seconds of pointless screen time" or whatever. Who gives a gently caress, just have the villain be someone we don't know if you couldn't be arsed to write a whole role for them.

I see you've watched SAW as well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Taeke posted:

lmao Benson just got a pizza delivered to her by name at the precinct that she didn't order, while working on a high profile dangerous case, and she's just "I didn't order it, throw it out" no questions asked like that isn't a red flag at all and another detective is like "ooooh, double pepperoni, don't bin it, I'll take it" and surprise, surprise, pipe bomb, but also it's a minor blast that just throws some people around without causing serious damage or maiming/killing anyone.

I know it's copaganda in the sense of 'by any means necessary' but also for drama's sake they act in the dumbest loving ways if the plot asks for it. Common sense and previous experience is just ignored on a whim if needed, which makes the characters look like idiots a lot of the time.

eta:
This episode has Jared Harris and Shannon Woodward though so whatever, that makes up for all the writing faults.

Haha, my GF is going through an SVU re-watch and I peep in every now and then, and she also just watched that episode the other day.

Like...do they not have ANY security at the SVU office? The number of people able to sneak in guns, bombs, etc.. is off the charts.

In the Law and Order world, the two most dangerous places in NYC are the courthouse steps, and the SVU Manhattan offices.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

People just constantly walking into the SVU office and going “oh my god is that my dead daughter/son/husband/wife?” when they have a grisly crime scene board

Or getting into fistfights or shooting each other in the corridor.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Nothing like a TV Whodunnit with only one credited guest star so there's literally only one suspect.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They also had an episode where there's a court scene and the person on the stand is being questioned, but by no means proven to be guilty or anything yet, and as a sort of gotcha they go how do you fel about this? and they just reveal huge poster boards of horrific crime scenes where you clearly see the murder victims laid out in all the gruesome glory. Just for everyone to see: the witness/assumed perpetrator, but also the jury and the audience.

Just everyone, here's some super gruesome gore for you all to look at without any warning at all, in full HD on a big placard, we got the best printing shop to print this out for u.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The old outer limits/ twilight zone episodes are a gold mine for guest stars that went big time. Favorite was Ryan Reynolds who not only smoked weed but tried to have premarital sex and therefore got eaten by a house.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

I loved X-Files for that. Jack Black and Seth Green among many, many other young faces.

It's long been a low-key dream of mine to get Ryan Reynolds to autograph a screenshot of his face from the episode he was in, where he was crying and still kind of pudgy

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

A memorable L&O guest spot was Chevy Chase as a complete shithead who sets his son up to take the rap on a murder charge they get him good in the end though

Phanatic posted:

You should check out the original Miami Vice run. NBC put that show in the timeslot where shows went to die, Friday night at 10pm, and for the first two seasons at least it was the best thing on TV. Let's see, off the top of my head you had: Bruce Willis as a gun smuggler; Davis Strathairn as a cop; Liam Neeson typecast as an Irish terrorist; Nathan Lane playing against type as a serial rapist; a whole bunch of other people that went on to bigger things, like Ron Perlman, Giancarlo Esposito, Laurence Fishburn, Steve Buscemi, Michael Richards, Dan Hedaya, Richard Belzer, Luis Guzman. And that's not even considering the stunt casting: Phil Collins, Leonard Cohen, Lee Iacocca, G. Gordon Liddy, and Miles Davis as a pimp named Ivory Jones.
drat, that's a hell of a list.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If you're into big time celebrity murder suspects, go binge Columbo.

Because it's awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aquaman 2 has a really bizarre plot where Black Manta is causing global warming to be worse because he's trying to melt some ice in the arctic in order to free an ancient bad guy who is promising him power. Except then also melting the ice won't free him and they need the blood of the royal family in order to break a curse?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

BiggerBoat posted:

Because it's awesome.

Are you a senior citizen

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

500excf type r posted:

Are you a senior citizen

No, he's a man with good taste.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The Night Comes for Us
Movie is (mostly) in Indonesian, so I watched it with English subtitles.

A character named Bob is occasionally called Bobby in the subs when the characters are clearly saying Bob.

Even weirder, the subs refer to heroin as smack, junk and other slang terms while the characters are consistently just calling it heroin.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wouldnt a pipebomb pizza be noticeable significantly heavier and have a weird center of mass

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

PhazonLink posted:

wouldnt a pipebomb pizza be noticeable significantly heavier and have a weird center of mass

Probably tastes really bad too

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

PhazonLink posted:

TRIPLE DOUBLE TOPPINGS, NEW YORKS FINEST EAT THE BEST.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bk. posted:

The Night Comes for Us
Even weirder, the subs refer to heroin as smack, junk and other slang terms while the characters are consistently just calling it heroin.

I like the opposite of this. There's a few Scottish independent movies that have been released with subtitles due to very thick accents, colloquialisms, and slang and the subtitles clean up the swearing massively. It's great hearing what the characters say vs what the subtitles are saying they're saying.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Mar 6, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

TGG posted:

TRIPLE DOUBLE TOPPINGS, NEW YORKS FINEST EAT THE BEST.

It was literally this lmao, Stabler comments on how heavy it is and some other cop goes "oooooh love me double peperoni, I'll have it if Benson doesn't want it" and Munch says something about it being unhealthy and boom

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ice t: they call it gentile style pepperoni . because its a whole pepperoni sausage thats uncut

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I like the opposite of this. There's a few Scottish independent movies that have been released with subtitles due to very thick accents, colloquialisms, and slang and the subtitles clean up the swearing massively. It's great hearing what the characters say vs what the subtitles are saying they're saying.

Translating something from Scottish involving removing most of the swears sounds entirely correct actually.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggerBoat posted:

Because it's awesome.

It really is, and they need to bring back that whole premise of following the criminal during his crime so you can guess how they hosed up. Also Columbo as a character is just fantastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

It really is, and they need to bring back that whole premise of following the criminal during his crime so you can guess how they hosed up. Also Columbo as a character is just fantastic.

Poker Face is an attempt to do modern Columbo but with the additional wrinkle of the main character being a human lie detector.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

Because it's awesome.

As a bonus, you see the guest star murder someone before the opening credits, they aren't coy about who it is.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Poker Face is an attempt to do modern Columbo but with the additional wrinkle of the main character being a human lie detector.

Apparently, the new Elsbeth show also does this, though I haven't seen it yet.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Poker Face even uses the Columbo font for its opening titles. It's a really, really good time, Rian Johnson is really good at murder mystery stories.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Torquemada posted:

As a bonus, you see the guest star murder someone before the opening credits, they aren't coy about who it is.

So Columbo basically invented the Phoenix Wright formula?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Columbo is actually weirdly famous in Japan.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

Columbo is actually weirdly famous in Japan.

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1459041114791501839

So famous that they have a show about a detective who deliberately dresses and acts exactly like Columbo because he is diegetically a Columbo fan.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Leave posted:

No, he's a man with good taste.

Colombo is good as hell but lol if you can identify anyone other than Peter falk and pay full price for your coffee at the diner

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Obscure celebrities like Johnny Cash, Vincent Price, William Shatner, and Dick van Dyke are all murders on Colombo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

the flip side of that is then you have people going online to complain about the villain being some rando that never showed up before and how that's lame and bad

500excf type r posted:

Are you a senior citizen

the last new Columbo special was in 2003

Len has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Mar 6, 2024