Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Conversely I haven't heard much of anything about Michael Salvatori despite also having a big impact on Halo music. I really don't know much about him, is he cool at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Arc Hammer posted:

Conversely I haven't heard much of anything about Michael Salvatori despite also having a big impact on Halo music. I really don't know much about him, is he cool at least?

He's been working extensively on Destiny 2's soundtrack, so I think Bungie really likes his work even if he's not who you think of as the primary Halo composer.

doesn't seem to have any issues following him around at the moment, though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean he *was* before he got laid off by Bungie and Activision last year.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Is everyone angry about this show because Master Chief isn't a virgin in a spacesuit?

Fans are truly the worst people

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean he *was* before he got laid off by Bungie and Activision last year.

Awh I am behind the times

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Is everyone angry about this show because Master Chief isn't a virgin in a spacesuit?

I thought it was more he didn't gently caress Cortana but I expect there are some grognards out there who are angry they have seen Master Chief run.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

They're also angry that a lot of the other non-Chief characters are black people and women :eng101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They like Emile in Halo Reach because he keeps his cool skull helmet on so you don't have to look at his blackness.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Some of the loudest Halo fans seem to want a direct adaptation of the Starship Troopers novel and become extremely irate when they don't get that

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Maybe I’m being reductive, but I think it comes down to the whole “laconic hero so the player can self-insert into the game” design of the first couple games have made certain fans identify with John Halo a little too much. How can John have PTSD if they had a great time as John? If John is weak, does that mean they are weak, too? Oh no! Identity and confidence crisis!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tighclops posted:

Some of the loudest Halo fans seem to want a direct adaptation of the Starship Troopers novel and become extremely irate when they don't get that

I just want them to get to the loving halo man…

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Marsupial Ape posted:

If John is weak, does that mean they are weak, too?

If you didn't beat the game on Legendary, yes

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Maybe I’m being reductive, but I think it comes down to the whole “laconic hero so the player can self-insert into the game” design of the first couple games have made certain fans identify with John Halo a little too much. How can John have PTSD if they had a great time as John? If John is weak, does that mean they are weak, too? Oh no! Identity and confidence crisis!

I can't imagine how a Gordon Freeman depiction in some Half-Life adaptation would go over.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

RBA Starblade posted:

If you didn't beat the game on Legendary, yes

I (stupidly) bought the MCC for a tenner there a few weeks ago. I regret this decision and the absence of run.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whenever I played halo I never thought of myself as master chief but that I was playing the story of master chief

I don’t mind the halo show adding stuff to chief but I really like that once he puts that armor on like it’s his skin because he’s a broken hosed man and that’s cool.

It’s less cool when he takes it off but whatever I’m over that.

Main issue is how slow it all is. I just don’t really care about anything because I feel like it’s going to be canceled before it gets good.

If it can make it to halo 3 then maybe things will be okay lol

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

lol ya this show is hilariously sedate for the thing it's supposed to be an adaptation of

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still waiting to get some motivational speeches from Avery Johnson

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm still waiting to get some motivational speeches from Avery Johnson

Can't wait to see what this show does to the funny guy who constantly spouts 80's movie one liners

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jehde posted:

I can't imagine how a Gordon Freeman depiction in some Half-Life adaptation would go over.

Freeman's Mind solved that problem already though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't really give a gently caress what some grognard from the deepest, dumbest incel pits of Reddit thinks, and I've never understood the obsession to seek out these miserable fucks out just to gawk at their bad takes. It might have been funny the first thousand times it happened but it stopped being interesting years ago.

CelticPredator posted:

CelticPredator posted:

Main issue is how slow it all is. I just don’t really care about anything because I feel like it’s going to be canceled before it gets good.

This sums it up perfectly.

Of course there are going to be changes, a direct adaptation of the games would be awful. But is it too much to ask for the changes to be, I don't know, good? Less boring? With a plot that goes somewhere? Not like once on the 4th episode of each season but maybe a little bit each episode? I'd settle for every other episode.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Maybe it's cause I only played halo 3 40 years ago but I like the show. The second season has been better than the first one. I dislike some of the b stories and there are some dumb things but it's still good. I just hope Mr halo gets his suit back soon. Also screw whoever decided to kill Vannak

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can see people who don’t know halo enjoying the show. I’m just waiting for the really cool things to show up and it’s a bit tedious

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I don’t know the games or any of the story and I’m having a good time. But I can see like Game of Thrones fans who are book readers eagerly awaiting the red wedding, for example.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see God's own anti-sonofabitch machine/giant hula hoop.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I don’t know the games or any of the story and I’m having a good time. But I can see like Game of Thrones fans who are book readers eagerly awaiting the red wedding, for example.

Similar, but it would be more like GoT book readers are eagerly awaiting King Robert to get off his rear end and head to Winterfell to start the events of the books, but HBO decided to dedicate two full seasons to the relatively quiet and boring years between the last rebellion and the events of the novels.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ah that makes more sense. I have no idea what the Halo even is and I game often. Just not Halo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh goddamnit.

Making us wait until next week to see the outcome of that.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Roughly 60% through this latest episode and the delivery of pissed off Pablo looks has been excellent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

Oh goddamnit.

Making us wait until next week to see the outcome of that.

Another episode to skip then. I’ll wait until it’s finished airing unless some wild poo poo occurs

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think the big problem with this show “for da fans” is the same as with the later seasons of Game of Thrones. GoT at some point changed from a story about institutions and sociology - the iron throne, the various families, the night’s watch, etc - into a psychological show about the characters changing or refusing to change. People think they want this because characters are interesting, but when psychology dominates the narrative the world stops feeling real, which perversely undermines the characters - their decisions are no longer constrained by structures around them, so they all just need to self actualize or heal their trauma or whatever bullshit is causing their issues now that inconveniences like “existing power structures” and “the perverse distribution of power to those who seek it rather than those who need or deserve it” or “the need to move through physical space to travel” are subordinate to their inner lives,

Halo was, for all its space opera goofiness, always about a set of social conditions. The Covenant is exterminating humanity. The UNSC is trying to maintain control even though the end is coming. The Spartans are our last hope and they’re trying to find a way out. Halo is a catalyst for enormous change which could save or destroy us. Even the Chief, when he finally gets a personality, is defined by his complete dedication to the mission coming into conflict with his platonic but intense love for Cortana (and his subtle grief over his dead buddies).

The show, however, gets incredibly bogged down in these psychological micro-stories. Soren misplaced his son. Kwan is having visions. Riz wants a normal life. Even Makee and the Arbiter are ~going rogue~ to find Halo. Nobody is just doing their job in the context of huge forces, so the show can’t really tell stories about those forces.

When fans say they want a show like “Band of Brothers” what they mean is they want a show about how humans behave under the conditions of a losing war of extermination, or conditions of being a child supersoldier. BoB or The Wire or what have you are anthropological studies of humans doing jobs under extreme conditions. They aren’t seeking their individual meaning or purpose, they’re forced to play a role and the drama is in how they cope or fail to cope.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the best story arc by a MILE so far is Ackerson’s brief run as “guy covering it all up revealed to be guy who knows how bad things really are”. This is the show directly examining someone in a position of power confronting the realities of the Covenant’s advance. Ackerson can’t run off on a spaceship to deal with his personal issues or look for his destiny. He euthanizes his own dad as a symbol of how powerless he is to do anything but triage.

The show needs way more of that - people operating INSIDE sociological power structures, not people running off into the creative void of the Psychological Self-Actualization to play Star Wars hero’s journey and find the elixir that will make them real heroes. Chief is a soldier. He takes orders. His best stories come from trying to square these orders with his own emerging personhood and relationship to Cortana - not from going camping or finding magic only he can perceive.

Can’t believe I typed all this poo poo on a phone

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Nah, it's bad storytelling. Soren is interesting, the quest for his kid is not. Everyone not shooting Halsey in the head or hanging her is dumb. Lots of that sort of stuff.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I think the big problem with this show “for da fans” is the same as with the later seasons of Game of Thrones. GoT at some point changed from a story about institutions and sociology - the iron throne, the various families, the night’s watch, etc - into a psychological show about the characters changing or refusing to change. People think they want this because characters are interesting, but when psychology dominates the narrative the world stops feeling real, which perversely undermines the characters - their decisions are no longer constrained by structures around them, so they all just need to self actualize or heal their trauma or whatever bullshit is causing their issues now that inconveniences like “existing power structures” and “the perverse distribution of power to those who seek it rather than those who need or deserve it” or “the need to move through physical space to travel” are subordinate to their inner lives,

Halo was, for all its space opera goofiness, always about a set of social conditions. The Covenant is exterminating humanity. The UNSC is trying to maintain control even though the end is coming. The Spartans are our last hope and they’re trying to find a way out. Halo is a catalyst for enormous change which could save or destroy us. Even the Chief, when he finally gets a personality, is defined by his complete dedication to the mission coming into conflict with his platonic but intense love for Cortana (and his subtle grief over his dead buddies).

The show, however, gets incredibly bogged down in these psychological micro-stories. Soren misplaced his son. Kwan is having visions. Riz wants a normal life. Even Makee and the Arbiter are ~going rogue~ to find Halo. Nobody is just doing their job in the context of huge forces, so the show can’t really tell stories about those forces.

When fans say they want a show like “Band of Brothers” what they mean is they want a show about how humans behave under the conditions of a losing war of extermination, or conditions of being a child supersoldier. BoB or The Wire or what have you are anthropological studies of humans doing jobs under extreme conditions. They aren’t seeking their individual meaning or purpose, they’re forced to play a role and the drama is in how they cope or fail to cope.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the best story arc by a MILE so far is Ackerson’s brief run as “guy covering it all up revealed to be guy who knows how bad things really are”. This is the show directly examining someone in a position of power confronting the realities of the Covenant’s advance. Ackerson can’t run off on a spaceship to deal with his personal issues or look for his destiny. He euthanizes his own dad as a symbol of how powerless he is to do anything but triage.

The show needs way more of that - people operating INSIDE sociological power structures, not people running off into the creative void of the Psychological Self-Actualization to play Star Wars hero’s journey and find the elixir that will make them real heroes. Chief is a soldier. He takes orders. His best stories come from trying to square these orders with his own emerging personhood and relationship to Cortana - not from going camping or finding magic only he can perceive.

Can’t believe I typed all this poo poo on a phone

This is the kind of comment that still makes me read this forum. Couldn't have said it better and it's certainly an issue in TV writing that goes beyond Halo.

I'd argue that it's this way because individualized (or what you call psychological) stories are (relatively) easier to write or at least easier to digest and might even offer more short term payoff and such stories do have their place but if there is one genre that should have the sociological angle covered then it's SciFi.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 7, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a good phone post, tbh

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
My parents are in their sixties, and don't know poo poo about Halo other than it's a game they bought me over twenty years ago.

And they like this show. To the point that they've watched season one more than once, and know when the next episode(s) drop.

I like this show even if it's occasionally mediocre sci-fi.

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a good phone post, tbh

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 7, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This mf'er right here wrote his latest novel on a cell phone

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My parents are in their sixties, and don't know poo poo about Halo other than it's a game they bought me over twenty years ago.

And they like this show. To the point that they've watched season one more than once, and know when the next episode(s) drop.

I like this show even if it's occasionally mediocre sci-fi.

My mom watched it for some reason and was amazed how often the super space marine cried or had his rear end out in S1

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm going to just believe their secret access code to the artifact actually is 11111
And not Cortana just changing it to that

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Monica Bellucci posted:

Nah, it's bad storytelling. Soren is interesting, the quest for his kid is not.

It is such a massive miss for me that the Spartan-II washout guy is just constantly trying to track down his kid instead of being a caught between worlds stronger than a normal human but short of a Spartan-II. There's more show left for him to fill that roll and maybe things will happen in the show that make him take on the sort of Johnson-esque role of super soldier among the regular soldiers, but I think they really like him as the goofball that sometimes gets murderous that is to the side of the conflict.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

The show needs way more of that - people operating INSIDE sociological power structures, not people running off into the creative void of the Psychological Self-Actualization to play Star Wars hero’s journey and find the elixir that will make them real heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think I gave up on season 1 before that, what the gently caress is going on there