Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It would be nice if all parties involved would just agree to drop the charade and Rendon can go home and just get paid to not play baseball, without my having to hear every 2 weeks how much his groin hurts. I don't really need that in my life anymore. I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
when do rendons peers start clearly & overtly hating him or do they already

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

which was the concept art where the ballpark was basically on a giant grass pyramid? that was a good one

Are you thinking of the Howard Terminal renders?

Much like the Vegas ones, it looks pretty cool in art form.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the virgin vegas glasshouse vs the chad oakland hobbithole

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you thinking of the Howard Terminal renders?

Much like the Vegas ones, it looks pretty cool in art form.

oh yeah you're right I was remembering wrong

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Legit would be amused by a series of AI generated ballpark renders.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So like, I love some dogshit stadiums. The Kingdome was cool as hell til it started falling apart, I genuinely love O.Co., the Metrodome was best ever, I even kinda liked the Rangers' previous digs. I even liked the old Marlins stadium (though the current one with Dinger Machine would still be miles better.)

But that thing they got for a fake-rear end building for the Nu A's? That's a piece of poo poo. Design like that and they won't even make it retractable? C'mon now.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

bawfuls posted:

Here's some renderings of what the A's fictional stadium won't look like

https://twitter.com/howardstutz/status/1765108304152560111

The only realistic thing about that mock up is Anthony Rendon isn't listed as starting for the Angels on the scoreboard

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

All the categories were themed for International Women's Month. That category was just simply Women in Baseball. They even had a question referencing a lady knuckleballer but it wasn't Yoshida.

That sounds rad as hell. But drat, how big of nerds are this crowd? I play Learned League online, and this seems like that level of difficulty.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

All the categories were themed for International Women's Month. That category was just simply Women in Baseball. They even had a question referencing a lady knuckleballer but it wasn't Yoshida.

Maybe Lisa Martinez?

"Women's knuckleball pitcher" rattled some old braincells to the 1990s touring softball team Phil Niekro managed, the Silver Bullets. Googling that led to Martinez.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

If it's more modern it's either Claire Eccles, who was the first woman to play in the college summer west coast league, or Kelsie Whitmore who played in like 15 games last season in the atlantic league, and who was talked about as having a knuckleball, but apparently hasn't thrown it in a couple years

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jesus loving christ

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Mustached Demon posted:

They'll wiggle their way into contention based on pure bullshit devil magics.

you gotta update your priors. this isn't the early 2010s anymore, the team fuckin stinks and has no one competent manning the wheel (or ownership that will let them spend money)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The current iteration of the cardinals front office is the equivalent of a streaming service that exclusively shows Andy Griffith.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s still bizarre to me that the Cardinals’ FO rushed out the door at the beginning of ST to sign three old and/or inconsistent starters

Those are typically the guys you sign at a discount in Jan/Feb

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I really hope Votto goes into broadcasting after he retires cause he’s hilarious, even though he’d probably be a really good hitting coach

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jesus someone sign this guy. Look at him! He's so sad!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
With zero context into what Votto is actually looking for in free agency, if it's just to play in any capacity anywhere I find it wild that not even some dogshit bottom feeder like the A's would throw the league minimum at him as a potential flip candidate/popular player who'll put a couple extra butts in seats. Yeah he's old but he's also a no doubt HoF guy who might still have something in the tank if he's healthy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Jesus someone sign this guy. Look at him! He's so sad!

Joey Votto cast as Neo in The Canadian Matrix

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

With zero context into what Votto is actually looking for in free agency, if it's just to play in any capacity anywhere I find it wild that not even some dogshit bottom feeder like the A's would throw the league minimum at him as a potential flip candidate/popular player who'll put a couple extra butts in seats. Yeah he's old but he's also a no doubt HoF guy who might still have something in the tank if he's healthy.

For real, plus he seems like the ideal clubhouse guy. Some team with a shitload of young talent would do really well to bring him aboard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A team with a shitload of young talent almost certainly has something better to do with a 1B/DH slot than play Votto there. Votto may eventually accept any paycheck he can get, but right now he wants promised an everyday job by a team with at least some faint hope of reaching the playoffs. But he's washed up and can only play 1B/DH so, understandably, no team above the A's/Pirates level is interested in that.

Seriously, I love Votto like everyone does but he is finished. He can't get around on major league heat anymore unless he completely sells out on it and starts his swing before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. He'll either end up taking a paycheck from one of the no-hopers or retiring.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Liking the Cubs DH option today!
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1765412484964291039

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Votto would have been a pretty typical NRI candidate earlier in ST but I imagine that he wants some guaranteed money

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

That's pretty darn close to the opening day lineup, I'd guess. Just replace Smith and Mastrobuoni with Busch and Happ.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

For real, plus he seems like the ideal clubhouse guy. Some team with a shitload of young talent would do really well to bring him aboard.

Feels like an Orioles move but they have a ton of 1B/DH/OF corner types to play. It’s why Cincy is passing in the first place. Kansas City already has that veteran clubhouse guy in Sal Perez. Pittsburgh has Cutch. Arizona filled their DH spot with Joc, who doesn’t seem like a clubhouse guy but can still hit righties.

What other up and coming teams have a need like that? Maybe Detroit?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s still bizarre to me that the Cardinals’ FO rushed out the door at the beginning of ST to sign three old and/or inconsistent starters

Those are typically the guys you sign at a discount in Jan/Feb

All of the justification from the team /media lampreys has been that they wanted guys who will give them consistent innings to ease the bullpen load, but two of the guys they signed are giving up a ton of runs in said innings. This teams offense was not good enough last year to fight back from being behind consistently. As a strategy it’s not bad but the pieces they picked to execute it with loving suck

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Twins should lure Votto in by unretiring number 7, just for him. I don't care if the signing would make no sense, and probably ends up hurting the team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pretty funny the the exact type of pitcher the Cardinals need right now is Jordan Montgomery

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yes….i agree. It is……… funny

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

zoux posted:

Joey Votto cast as Neo in The Canadian Matrix

Neo is already Canadian though, drat, another job Joey can't get

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yandy Diaz' roids still work.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's pretty darn close to the opening day lineup, I'd guess. Just replace Smith and Mastrobuoni with Busch and Happ.

I would guess opening day has Cody in CF and "surprise me" at DH

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

more falafel please posted:

I would guess opening day has Cody in CF and "surprise me" at DH

Mash Mervis to get all our merverts in day 1.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

I really hope Votto goes into broadcasting after he retires cause he’s hilarious, even though he’d probably be a really good hitting coach

Give him Smoltz's job.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Yamamoto gets knocked around by the White Sox, officially a bust

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

It would be nice if all parties involved would just agree to drop the charade and Rendon can go home and just get paid to not play baseball, without my having to hear every 2 weeks how much his groin hurts. I don't really need that in my life anymore. I'm good.

For the Nth time, release him now, preferably into the vacuum of deep space

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ace Jameson posted:

Yamamoto gets knocked around by the White Sox, officially a bust

God I hope he sucks. It would be so awesome.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Check out what Rodon did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

God I hope he sucks. It would be so awesome.
yeah how dare he not want to be a Yankee!