Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

mewse posted:

the funniest starship troopers remake would be one that adapts the source material non-ironically and bombs like morbius, then gets re-released and bombs again like morbius
A 130 minute advertisement for blowing up civilians with armor and beating your children?

Gonna do great in Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'd like to see a BDO story like Rama get a big budget movie.

Pushing Ice would make a decent one if they rewrite the characters

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

thotsky posted:

I don't think Dune part two was as good as part one. It feels like more of an action movie, it's a lot messier, and it's too long. Zendaya is terrible; I don't get her deal, is she a singer or something?

well op, she’s one of the most beautiful people on earth, is tremendously charismatic and also is a good actress, so who can say why she’s popular

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I think Rama is supposed to be Villanueve’s next non-Dune project!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

thotsky posted:

People gave the original Dune endless poo poo for having a rushed ending, but when this movie does the exact same thing it's suddenly fine?

Both are true to the source material

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Bookchat: loved Exordia, is there going to be an Exordia 2: Exordier? Also, do you have a glossary for some of the military jargon you used, General? I tried looking up 'nine-line' but the only hits I got are about medevacs rather than bombing runs.

Recommendation: have been listening to the audiobook of the Twice-Dead King duology for the second time, loving it even more. It's a WH40K book about the Necrons, who are in principle immortal terminator pharoahs, but the book dials in on the culture and family aspect, so it's more like the inhabitants of an old people's home going on an interstellar war while slowly falling to bits and forgetting who they are and succumbing to the curse of flesh.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

I think Rama is supposed to be Villanueve’s next non-Dune project!

That's almost too bad of it's true. Love Villeneuve but Fincher had been circling Rama for years.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I need Drizzit on the big screen.

More serious answer: I've wanted a good HBO series of Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn since my latest rereads. Eisenhorn has been in the works for a decade it feels like, and we'll see how Amazon + Henry Cavill approach the Warhammer 40k setting.

I'd also take a Malazan anime (or live action lol) so I can put faces to the names and try to keep up with my sister's discussions about it.

They also need to quit restarting and failing Narnia and get to the Silver Chair already.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

occluded posted:

Bookchat: loved Exordia, is there going to be an Exordia 2: Exordier? Also, do you have a glossary for some of the military jargon you used, General? I tried looking up 'nine-line' but the only hits I got are about medevacs rather than bombing runs.

Nine-Lines are so called because there's a standard military form with 9 lines of information that has all the categories needed to call in an airstrike. There's also medevac versions

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 5, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That's one of those things where you scrupulously research the correct form and then you talk to an actual combat pilot who says "yeah nobody has time for that they just radio 'bomb the big red building'"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Both are true to the source material

I know, but both movies also introduce a lot of change, and seeing how the first one caught flack for it I would expect (and welcome) that as a change in the second one.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I was surprised that nobody tried to make a Rendezvous with Rama movie when that big space rock flew through the system.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A Night in the Lonesome October seems like it would be a great choice for filming. You don't even need that much of a budget, I think? It probably depends on how you decide to do the animal friends.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Battuta, I regret to inform you that copper is not ferromagnetic, not even a little bit.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

MarksMan posted:

Does anyone else like the "Red Rising" series by Pierce Brown?

Just finished up the first three books and it's a very entertaining series. Fast paced, something is always happening, they are just fun books to read if you like action sci fi.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mdemone posted:

General Battuta, I regret to inform you that copper is not ferromagnetic, not even a little bit.

I hope someone gets fired for this blunder.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

redleader posted:

blindsight, but the script is written by joss whedon

don't put that idea into this universe, or into my brain

mystes
May 31, 2006

redleader posted:

For some reason that idea amuses me a lot

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I hope someone gets fired for this blunder.

I laughed out loud because the quote is literally, "And you know what's ferromagnetic? Copper!"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Selachian posted:

Hell, I would have said the Foundation trilogy was unfilmable given how much of Asimov's work is just people standing around talking.

My Dinner With Hari i have never read this book nor seen this movie

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

redleader posted:

And the non-neurotypical characters (every character) are played a la Eddie Redmayne in Fantastic Beasts.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

sebmojo posted:

og dune movie was extremely bad i feel like i'm being gaslit

it was a fiasco, both terrible and wildly entertaining. i loved it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I finished reading all the other Culture books so I went back to the beginning and read Consider Phlebas again; a book I'd put down about a third of the way through when I first tried to read Banks.

I made it through this time, but it doesn't really change my opinion that it's the weakest of the Culture books and you're better off starting with Player of Games and looping back around at the end if you feel like being completionist. I think both the writing and pacing gets better in later books, and there's a fair few 'first book' bits, especially when it comes to tech or tech descriptions, that get quietly sort of dropped later on - I'm fairly sure we don't call FTL travel 'warp' after this, don't just get generic laser pistols or whatever. None of that really matters obviously, it just feels like the environment isn't fully formed, which I guess it just isn't at this point.

That said, there is a good amount of consideration about what the Culture is and what it means to be of the Culture. The idea that the Culture is everything and nothing, without purpose or direction, and how the Idiran war focuses the mind on that and changes their course - that's good reading. Also the section that provides sort of a potted history of the war, that was very interesting too.

Basically it's fine - it's not crucial and it's there for the purists if you enjoy the rest of the books. I'm glad I went back and read it, but it totally wasn't necessary. Just nice (and also kind of sad) to be done with that series now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Given Siri's whole job as a synthesist (translating post-human data and jargon for the normies) an adaptation doing him as a quippy Whedon guy could be incredible, if it also left him as an unsettling weirdo, too.

"Now every last one of you is dead. And Susan? Are you there, Susan?

"We're taking you first."

Beat. The crew of the Icarus glance at each other. At the rear of the group, Siri shrugs. "Well, that just happened!"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Polikarpov posted:

Nine-Lines are so called because there's a standard military form with 9 lines of information that has all the categories needed to call in an airstrike. There's also medevac versions

It's "nine-liner" though, not "nine line"?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

redleader posted:

My Dinner With Hari i have never read this book nor seen this movie

When Hari Met Seldon was right there.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

branedotorg posted:

it was a fiasco, both terrible and wildly entertaining. i loved it.

it was so pretty, I didn't care about anything they messed up. People are talking about Dune! They know what a muad'dib is! it's great! It's just a scifi book, not a holy text.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kalman posted:

When Hari Met Seldon was right there.

“I’ll have the future she’s having.”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Jimbozig posted:

And the non-neurotypical characters (every character) are played a la Eddie Redmayne in Fantastic Beasts.

A la Eddie Redmayne in Jupiter Ascending

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Holy poo poo. I've been hearing that The Forever War is a classic of science fiction forever, but I just sat down and read it recently, and it really holds up. It's weird. Despite getting everything technically wrong about the way culture and technology would go from 1974 to 2024, it all felt kind of familiar (All the bad things will just keep getting worse, there's no sense that there's anyone in charge, and 'war is good for the economy!' will be taken to it's logical, ugly conclusion where everything is based on fighting a manageable war, forever).

The one really dated element of the book is how it treats homosexuality. And probably also physics, which have gotten some updates since 1974. It really sums up the dumb futility of war, though. It's also nice to read something from that era that isn't remotely homophobic. The notion that "The government encouraged the homo lifestyle so a lot of people embraced it" is a little eye-rolly, but the main character realizing "drat, all these future kids are gay. I just don't fit in because I have backwards notions about sexuality" kind of works.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have never forgotten Linda Hunt's delivery of "I am the Shadout Mapes, the housekeeper." She didn't have many lines, so that one was going to count, damnit.

Also Sting, in three gold bats hanging on for dear life.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Blastedhellscape posted:

Holy poo poo. I've been hearing that The Forever War is a classic of science fiction forever, but I just sat down and read it recently, and it really holds up. It's weird. Despite getting everything technically wrong about the way culture and technology would go from 1974 to 2024, it all felt kind of familiar (All the bad things will just keep getting worse, there's no sense that there's anyone in charge, and 'war is good for the economy!' will be taken to it's logical, ugly conclusion where everything is based on fighting a manageable war, forever).

The one really dated element of the book is how it treats homosexuality. And probably also physics, which have gotten some updates since 1974. It really sums up the dumb futility of war, though. It's also nice to read something from that era that isn't remotely homophobic. The notion that "The government encouraged the homo lifestyle so a lot of people embraced it" is a little eye-rolly, but the main character realizing "drat, all these future kids are gay. I just don't fit in because I have backwards notions about sexuality" kind of works.

It's a great read, I recommend it to people frequently. Sadly, the theme of increasing alienation from a world riddled with contradictions is evergreen

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have never forgotten Linda Hunt's delivery of "I am the Shadout Mapes, the housekeeper." She didn't have many lines, so that one was going to count, damnit.

Also Sting, in three gold bats hanging on for dear life.

https://youtu.be/o6UCkugXn4Y

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the vibe of the Lynch Dune film is immaculate and really captures the alienness of humans 10k years hence. Art and set design are top notch.

And then of course it ends with rain on Arrakis which would kill all the sandworms and destroy all spice production and make the fremen jihad and the Golden Path impossible. Which I guess is good?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mewse posted:

Cryptonomicon may have been a product of its time? Like you, I read it after reading a bunch of other Stephenson books (definitely after I'd read The Baroque Cycle) and I enjoyed it except for its ending. It does seem very late-90s, early internet, "wow! the information superhighway!" kind of feeling.

Yeah concurring with Cryptonomicon being a product of its time. The late 90s was a wild time for cryptography, with the US government de facto banning encryption, and a large punky movement of weirdos, closely tied to the open source software movement, fighting hard against that. And that's how we got most of the cryptographic privacy measures which we largely take for granted today. Stuff like how the PGP algorithm was declared a munition, so people printed it out on T shirts and walked around with it. "Look at me, I'm walking through airport security carrying dangerous illegal military-grade weaponry!"

Going back to the book, it flips between then and WWII, which was also a heyday for cryptography. So the book is alt-history spec-fic (alt-history of the 90s too) but also catnip for a very specific type of nerd. If you're not very into cryptography and/or a CS major, Cryptonomicon could definitely be a bit too esoteric to be enjoyable.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Going to take a trip on the information superhighway straight into the blogosphere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

I think the vibe of the Lynch Dune film is immaculate and really captures the alienness of humans 10k years hence. Art and set design are top notch.

And then of course it ends with rain on Arrakis which would kill all the sandworms and destroy all spice production and make the fremen jihad and the Golden Path impossible. Which I guess is good?

Rain on Arrakis is actually the Fremen plan. They plan to conserve the deep desert for the sandworms,though, not to terraform the whole planet.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

branedotorg posted:

Can you throw in a recommend? i remember reading vacuum flowers years ago but no steampunk, like you i haven't found much steampunk that is satisfying and am keen try something better

The Iron Dragon's Daughter is excellent and one of the best fantasy novels of the 90s. Jack Faust and Stations of the Tide are also really good. He's written tons of short stories, and lots of are great too. This is one of my favourites:

https://reactormag.com/the-dead/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone know anything about Godkiller by Hannah Kaner? I saw it on my latest fruitless quest for Exordia and was curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing at all, except