Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't know if this is what you meant, but at 22:17 in the following video, this guy points out that in the game's internal structure there are values for how much the health / damage of the creatures should be tuned up / down per area, implying that there is an intended order and it's pretty specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFWQr08SZE

Some of it is interesting, like weeping peninsula and stormveil having about a 30% difference which is a weirdly large jump, whereas past Faram Azula everything seems to increase at a pretty linear rate.

It's an interesting find, I just wish he'd linked to the full list somewhere instead of randomly scrolling around bits of it.

https://github.com/soulsmods/DSMapStudio/releases

Follow the instructions to install and you can mess around with it all you like. The area modifiers are under SpEffectParam.

I kinda want to add this kind of stuff to the wiki, but lol fextralife wiki (at least it's not fandom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have a tragic case of PS5, so unfortunately not for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't know if this is what you meant, but at 22:17 in the following video, this guy points out that in the game's internal structure there are values for how much the health / damage of the creatures should be tuned up / down per area, implying that there is an intended order and it's pretty specific.

that's what i was commenting on, yeah. my aforementioned speculation is that the 13-16 range (and caelid just kinda hanging out there at 8) gets very weird in terms of scaling progression versus map flow because of caelid and its environs having most of their meat dropped, so you end up with a mostly sensible northern progression and then caelid being largely isolated with an extreme spike in scaling between its north and south halves, despite the north not having that much to begin with

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gelmir really does feel like the most disconnected part of the narrative and pacing, I wonder if the DLC will do anything about that

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is a question for fellow keyboard touchers, what hotkey did you set sprint/dodge/jump? my muscle memory has evaporated.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

toasterwarrior posted:

Gelmir really does feel like the most disconnected part of the narrative and pacing, I wonder if the DLC will do anything about that

Based on info dug up by Ziostorm, we actually might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Z6Wl2Mvrw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Beat Godrick

None of the ashes lasted long against him. I was auditioning them to see which lasted longest and I was going upgrade that one

Turns out the real spirit ashes was to stop panic rolling and read his fakeouts better

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

(New player) Are the grafted scions really hard or do I just suck? Decided to clear out Limgrave before I fight Godrick and holy hell the 2 on a bridge in Fringefolk Hero’s Grave. I beat the ulcerated tree spirit okay after many attempts with some patience/luck (was really close which was fun). But these I suck too much to parry, a single combo breaks my shield poise, and I only manage to roll out of one attack directly into another.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They’re motherfuckers

When they spin attack and you block it drains your stamina almost instantly

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah no I don't think drat near anybody enjoys fighting scions. They're maybe not quite revenant tier, but...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've done the start of this game like 5 or 6 times and I still haven't killed the first Grafted Scion on a fresh char. I know only like two openings: the air slam, and the slower combo it does that has a double right-handed stab you can roll into (which might still get canceled into a sweep that'll catch you)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The double scions are absolutely brutal for how early you're probably going to be meeting them. I might have killed them once maybe with ranged cheese, but I just run past now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you should absolutely hit da bricks vs. the dual scions. much like crucible knights, they're nearly impossible if you have to fight two of them at full AI at once

on their own, rolling out of and spacing their combos and punishing on the scream and leap is your best bet

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

toasterwarrior posted:

I've done the start of this game like 5 or 6 times and I still haven't killed the first Grafted Scion on a fresh char. I know only like two openings: the air slam, and the slower combo it does that has a double right-handed stab you can roll into (which might still get canceled into a sweep that'll catch you)

It's pretty tough and not really worth it unless you absolutely love that sword it drops. Out of every one of these souls "early game boss that'll gently caress you up before the game begins" it's definitely the hardest imo, specifically because of how little feedback there is on its attacks and so it often feels like I've dodged its attack only to just have the screen fade to black and the cutscene begin because I guess I got clipped by the sword or some poo poo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Juche Couture posted:

a single combo breaks my shield poise

You're conflating a couple related terms/concepts here. "Poise" is an attribute of your armor (and certain rings and effects) that acts like a status resistance against being staggered by an accumulation of unblocked damage. Your shield has an attribute called "guard boost" that is a percentage reduction in how much blocking an attack drains your stamina. It sounds like you ran out of stamina.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Juche Couture posted:

(New player) Are the grafted scions really hard or do I just suck? Decided to clear out Limgrave before I fight Godrick and holy hell the 2 on a bridge in Fringefolk Hero’s Grave. I beat the ulcerated tree spirit okay after many attempts with some patience/luck (was really close which was fun). But these I suck too much to parry, a single combo breaks my shield poise, and I only manage to roll out of one attack directly into another.

Grafted scions are really tough. They don’t really have much range, so the longer the range on your weapon, the better. Their massive number of limbs makes their tells incredibly difficult to read, so your best bet is to stay well out of range of their attacks until you manage to bait one that you can safely respond to.

Regarding the two scions in cringe folx hero’s grave, you really don’t want to fight both at once. Instead, you want to hit the closer one with a projectile to force it to fall down and initiate combat without stepping into the other one’s aggro range. I know from experience that if you fiddle around a little, there is a spot where you can lock onto it and toss a throwing knife at it.

In general, you want to avoid fighting multiple enemies at the same time at all costs and there’s almost always a way to do so. For duo bosses the proscribed solution is to summon a spirit ash to draw one’s aggro, while out in the field you’ll want to tinker around and find a way to lure one out. Keep in mind that you don’t have to meet a bow’s stat requirements to use it, just to get the full damage, which you don’t need if your only intent is to lure an enemy toward you.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The double scions are more unmanagable because they aren't technically bosses, they are just world enemies. The double Crucible Knights have nerfed AI because they are in a boss room, so long as you only ever attack one at a time (and assuming you know how to parry), it's very managable.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Also outside of Rusty going through area scaling, do not use him for understanding weapon or skill damage scaling. It's a terrible and non-systematic explanation. Refer to these two videos by Chrightt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTxOJdn3uhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9-TyuIICw

In short, weapon skills that have a bullet component can be categorized into a variety of scaling types, from Heavy, Keen, Quality, Magic, Ice, etc. On unique weapons such as Death's Poker, the weapon has C/B/D scaling on Strength/Dexterity/Intelligence, but the weapon skill Ghostflame Ignition is categorized into Magic type, which means Intelligence scaling only

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a question for fellow keyboard touchers, what hotkey did you set sprint/dodge/jump? my muscle memory has evaporated.

I'm a scrub who hasn't finished the game yet, but I think I have default settings. Jump on F, spring/dodge on space.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
On the subject of the expansion, what are the odds that some of the bosses - I'm betting at least Malenia, Blade of Miquella - will get a new line of dialogue or something if you do it as early as possible and then fight them, like how Sif had a slightly different cutscene in the first game?

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

PvP in Elden Ring is just less fun across the board. Pretty much every change they made relative to DS3 made it worse.

The only really positive change I can think of is that Elden Ring's version of the faith enchantment that saves you at 1 HP when you would normally die has a duration instead of being indefinite, and that only really mattered at level 100+ in DS3 anyways.

The only time I dipped my toes in PvP in DS3, it had such horrible latency that it killed any interest I had in it. I'm thankful that I've been able to play Elden Ring entirely single-player, no invasions in my chill adventure thanks.

(I still don't know if you actually can get invaded without using any of the finger items, but I'm guessing not since it's never happened to me!)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In DS3 I had a run of really honourable invaders who saw me chug all of my estus in front of them, realised what was up and had a very sporting duel to the death. Those were really good fun but not something I experienced much of in Elden Ring

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Bring back covenant territories. That'd be some kickass expansion content to seed into the main game while also not being an enormous asset debt.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Paracelsus posted:

You're conflating a couple related terms/concepts here. "Poise" is an attribute of your armor (and certain rings and effects) that acts like a status resistance against being staggered by an accumulation of unblocked damage. Your shield has an attribute called "guard boost" that is a percentage reduction in how much blocking an attack drains your stamina. It sounds like you ran out of stamina.
I dearly wish they still called it "stability" rather than the incredibly ambiguous "guard boost"

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Real Cool Catfish posted:

At no point since the game released has Elden Ring ever been dying. YouTubers need that engagement though.

I think the gaming communities relationship/obsession with games "dying" is one of the most pathetic aspects of this hobby. And there is some fierce competition for that particular accolade.

I say this as someone who still boots up poo poo like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 99, which admittedly might just be the other end of the extreme, but I think some people interpret anything short of 70,000 concurrent players all playing the same way as a game being "dead".

I booted up the old as poo poo and much maligned Dark Souls 2 for the first time recently. There's no shortage of summons etc even in that game. Elden Ring is fine.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Juche Couture posted:

Should also be noted that Fringefolk Hero's Grave is scaled higher than anything you're meant to tackle in the early game (assuming scaling levels=the dev's intended progression order), three scaling levels above Godrick and four above the entire rest of Stormveil, meaning they have about 40% more hp and deal about 20% more damage than the one you fought there.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Aeble posted:

The only time I dipped my toes in PvP in DS3, it had such horrible latency that it killed any interest I had in it. I'm thankful that I've been able to play Elden Ring entirely single-player, no invasions in my chill adventure thanks.

(I still don't know if you actually can get invaded without using any of the finger items, but I'm guessing not since it's never happened to me!)

You can only be invaded in Elden Ring if you either
1. use Taunter's Tongue, or
2. Summon a Cooperator (another player helper specifically, not a NPC)
or both.

I'm glad players can choose to never get invaded without turning off multiplayer entirely, but I wish that I also had the option to permanently opt-in to Taunter's Tongue. Just give me a checkbox that says "yes, I want to get solo invaded constantly" please and thank you Fromsoft.

I do a lot of PvP on PC version, and I very rarely get significant lag even with cross-realm matchmaking enabled. Some PvP youtubers made a huge stink about PC version lag a while back and they all switched to PS5, but from watching their videos it seems just as bad if not worse?!

No Dignity posted:

In DS3 I had a run of really honourable invaders who saw me chug all of my estus in front of them, realised what was up and had a very sporting duel to the death. Those were really good fun but not something I experienced much of in Elden Ring

Sometimes if I'm invading at meta levels (125-150) I'll run into "fight clubs," where sunbros and invaders have no-estus honor duels to the death while the taunters-tongue'd host sits there and enjoys the show like "More grapes!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Aeble posted:

you can play DS3 completely single player; that's not really what that post was about.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Bumhead posted:

I think the gaming communities relationship/obsession with games "dying" is one of the most pathetic aspects of this hobby. And there is some fierce competition for that particular accolade.

I say this as someone who still boots up poo poo like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 99, which admittedly might just be the other end of the extreme, but I think some people interpret anything short of 70,000 concurrent players all playing the same way as a game being "dead".

I booted up the old as poo poo and much maligned Dark Souls 2 for the first time recently. There's no shortage of summons etc even in that game. Elden Ring is fine.

I'm a little sad I haven't seen a "PC gaming is dead" in the wild in years.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

No Dignity posted:

The whole honour thing never resonated with me - if I'm running about with ember because I beat a boss and someone comes to try to take it away, I'll defend it however I can. I'd abide by those rules if I invaded and the other player clearly wanted a duel, though.

more often than not, I'd just walk into three man gank squads or fight clubs which were boring as poo poo and killed the fun of it for me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Juche Couture posted:

(New player) Are the grafted scions really hard or do I just suck?
If I remember that area correctly, you can look up and shoot one of them with a bow and lure it to the door, where you can just poison/rot arrow it and run out of its aggro range and wait.

I might be thinking of a different area but you might be able to backtrack to one of those flame pillars and jump on it to activate it (in which case the scion can't get to you but still keeps advancing while getting flame trap to the face).

I think - like I say I don't remember the individual hero graves that well.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

At no point since the game released has Elden Ring ever been dying. YouTubers need that engagement though.
'Game is dying' because engagement dropped kind of makes sense for live service products where ongoing engagement is the goal for the devs. But there are a ton of what I would consider normal people / nonintense gamers who bought Elden Ring, played it once, and then went and played something else - not because they're bored or because a patch ruined it or whatever, but because they finished it.

So yeah. 'time played' is dropping off compared to what it was at launch. That metric doesn't make sense for every game, it's just you get youtubers who hear Paul Tassi or whoever use it and then think it's the ultimate analysis of how good a game is.

Reminds me of those companies who made record profits during the pandemic but now they're scrambling to explain to their investors why their profit is dropping - because they don't have a captive audience that is desperate for entertainment, has a lot of free time and most important of all, that sweet furlough money. If you're going to compare Elden Ring's engagement at launch with now, there are so many reasons that it being lower is absolutely normal.

That's what profit / engagement does, it declines over time. But as long as they've got more coming in that they've got going out, those companies are still making a profit, same as how games with declining populations can still have thousands of active players, enough to keep them alive, it's just that they don't have tens or hundreds of thousands any more.

It's just that the tendency of the rate of profit has something to do with linen shirts, or something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

The whole honour thing never resonated with me - if I'm running about with ember because I beat a boss and someone comes to try to take it away, I'll defend it however I can. I'd abide by those rules if I invaded and the other player clearly wanted a duel, though.

more often than not, I'd just walk into three man gank squads or fight clubs which were boring as poo poo and killed the fun of it for me.

This was on my always embered dried finger run, the super aggro invader builds in Elden Ring made it too punishing but I had a great time with it in DS3

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If I remember that area correctly, you can look up and shoot one of them with a bow and lure it to the door, where you can just poison/rot arrow it and run out of its aggro range and wait.

I tried this recently and there's basically no angle that you can do this from without aggroing the other.

What you can do is lure them back to the fire pillar and jump up on top of it and plink them from there. The fire won't shoot unless you're in front of it unfortunately, and they can knock you off with the leap attack sometimes.

But there's zero reason to kill those guys, so just hit the bricks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do you mean the room in the limgrave hero's grave with two scions? Yeah they're totally skippable, but if you want to fight them one at a time, shoot the one at the back of the room first and lure it out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Juche Couture posted:

you don't suck, the fringefolk hero's grave is a mid-game dungeon that they put next to the tutorial area to mess with people

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am having So Much fun with my current playthrough and it makes me realise just how bad my build for my first one was and how hard I made the game for myself.

I never messed around with Ashes of War and whetstones last time, but now they are my top items to acquire. I basically have 4 great swords (Zwei, Flamberge, Lordsworn and Banished Knight) that have different elements and ashes of war on them that I swap to based on the situation.

Lots of enemies, wooden enemies or rock enemies? Flaming Lordsworn with Burning blade! (also this ash just feels so cool and I love the moveset on this sword).
Unknown, general fighting? Frozen Banished GS with Spinning strike! (Also pairs with the flamberge once they are Frostbitten)
Ranged assholes? Zweihander with Stormblade - This is SOOO good in invasions because people don't expect you to range them.
Potentially long fight? Flamberge with poison blade - I might be double dipping too much with this but it does Bleed and Poison buildup and is great once an enemy has been Frostbitten.

Im always on the lookout for new ashes to try, elements to add and new 2h's to add to the collection. It's totally changed how I approach the game compared to just using one weapon (I only used the bloodhound and then the blasphemy blade last time and got pretty bored honestly).

I also did not realise how important leveling weapons was, that it is way more important than stats until the weapons actually start scaling. I am desperate for more +3 and +4 stones but I am only just now doing Caelid and if I remember right the bell isn't available until Altus so I just have to keep going.

I feel really powerful, like I have answers to things rather than bashing my head against the wall with the wrong tools and I can switch up my fighting style if anything gets too familiar. I highly recommend messing with ashes if you kind of ignored them last time. Im probably preaching to the choir but I thought I did really well last time I totally ignored ashes because 'faith builds don't need them'.

So far I have beaten all of Limgrave and Liurnia without summoning, in fact I somehow broke the game and Ranni never offered me the bell (but I can see it is for sale at Roundtable Hold). Rhadan is next but I want to clear Caelid first. I also missed all of Ranni's questline last time so I want to do that and this time I want to actually beat Melenia rather than fighting her a couple of times and running away.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

I am having So Much fun with my current playthrough and it makes me realise just how bad my build for my first one was and how hard I made the game for myself.

I never messed around with Ashes of War and whetstones last time, but now they are my top items to acquire. I basically have 4 great swords (Zwei, Flamberge, Lordsworn and Banished Knight) that have different elements and ashes of war on them that I swap to based on the situation.

Lots of enemies, wooden enemies or rock enemies? Flaming Lordsworn with Burning blade! (also this ash just feels so cool and I love the moveset on this sword).
Unknown, general fighting? Frozen Banished GS with Spinning strike! (Also pairs with the flamberge once they are Frostbitten)
Ranged assholes? Zweihander with Stormblade - This is SOOO good in invasions because people don't expect you to range them.
Potentially long fight? Flamberge with poison blade - I might be double dipping too much with this but it does Bleed and Poison buildup and is great once an enemy has been Frostbitten.

Im always on the lookout for new ashes to try, elements to add and new 2h's to add to the collection. It's totally changed how I approach the game compared to just using one weapon (I only used the bloodhound and then the blasphemy blade last time and got pretty bored honestly).

I also did not realise how important leveling weapons was, that it is way more important than stats until the weapons actually start scaling. I am desperate for more +3 and +4 stones but I am only just now doing Caelid and if I remember right the bell isn't available until Altus so I just have to keep going.

I feel really powerful, like I have answers to things rather than bashing my head against the wall with the wrong tools and I can switch up my fighting style if anything gets too familiar. I highly recommend messing with ashes if you kind of ignored them last time. Im probably preaching to the choir but I thought I did really well last time I totally ignored ashes because 'faith builds don't need them'.

So far I have beaten all of Limgrave and Liurnia without summoning, in fact I somehow broke the game and Ranni never offered me the bell (but I can see it is for sale at Roundtable Hold). Rhadan is next but I want to clear Caelid first. I also missed all of Ranni's questline last time so I want to do that and this time I want to actually beat Melenia rather than fighting her a couple of times and running away.

Keep an eye out for the Knight's Greatsword, it's got the same moveset as the Banished Knight GS but it's a bit longer and looks cool as hell.

Non-somber weapons are the way to go, it's really hard to give up the flexibility in scaling, element, and moveset that they offer once you're used to them. Never a bad idea to have a somber weapon too since otherwise you won't be using the somber stones, if you're enjoying big weapon life give the Golden Halberd that the Tree Sentinel in Limgrave drops a whirl. It hits like a truck and the ash is a weaker but cheaper to use version of the best buff in the game.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Augus posted:

you don't suck, the fringefolk hero's grave is a mid-game dungeon that they put next to the tutorial area to mess with people

Jesus no wonder that place feels overtuned. Like I knew it was harder than most other places in Limgrave, but I had no idea it was THAT higher up. You DO get a sweet talisman and seal if you know how to play that area.

Epic High Five posted:

Keep an eye out for the Knight's Greatsword, it's got the same moveset as the Banished Knight GS but it's a bit longer and looks cool as hell.

Non-somber weapons are the way to go, it's really hard to give up the flexibility in scaling, element, and moveset that they offer once you're used to them. Never a bad idea to have a somber weapon too since otherwise you won't be using the somber stones, if you're enjoying big weapon life give the Golden Halberd that the Tree Sentinel in Limgrave drops a whirl. It hits like a truck and the ash is a weaker but cheaper to use version of the best buff in the game.

I remember using that Halberd vs Maliketh and being shocked and the amount of damage since I know he's got VERY high holy resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Epic High Five posted:

Oh good shout! Someone told me the Nightblade Halberd was the way to go but honestly I am hurting for a Holy Weapon anyway so that I can do undead catacombs and not worry about respawns. I will give it a try, I kicked the Tree Sentinels rear end awhile ago and it's just chilling in my inventory! Thanks for reminding me I have it.

I will look at farming the Knights sword, if it looks cool I am down. Still need to decide on an armor set, I am just using the one you get from Roundtable with a couple of Banished pieces for poise.