Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh dang, I hadn't thought of that at all. Yes, that does help, thanks!

Any time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

mbt posted:

I can't think of a single other mod that uses a separate bsa and I'm a morrowind fanatic.

There was a good mod that gave Telvanni guards their own unique style of bonemold armour that used BSAs. The author was Russian, apparently it's more common in Russian modding to use BSAs.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Whorelord posted:

There was a good mod that gave Telvanni guards their own unique style of bonemold armour that used BSAs. The author was Russian, apparently it's more common in Russian modding to use BSAs.

Always thought the Telv bonemold should have some little purple details/highlights so it vibes a bit better with the cephalopod helm, it's a lovely helm but it clashes so much with the standard town guard bonemold.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cookie Cutter posted:

Always thought the Telv bonemold should have some little purple details/highlights so it vibes a bit better with the cephalopod helm, it's a lovely helm but it clashes so much with the standard town guard bonemold.

There mod removed the helmet from guards completely, it looked like this:

It's a but outdated now, I'm currently putting together a new install and I think I'll use Kinsmer which has a guard diversity option that does something similar to what you're talking about :

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hifi posted:

Been playing starwind and major kudos for what it is but the game is rough basically past the first planet.

Does this mean Starfield, or is there a Morrowind mod called Starwind?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Does this mean Starfield, or is there a Morrowind mod called Starwind?
Starwind v3.1 - A Star Wars Conversion

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah that's the link. it's kotor in the morrowind engine

Combat is stupid but in a weirdly compelling way. Guns are crossbows so it's kind of a dodging bullet hell thing if you fight a group of people. I lucked into a midgame sniper rifle in the first sewer level on tatooine that you probably get tricked into but switched to a pistol because you can spam it a lot more and the reduced damage doesn't matter so much. Melee weapons are more powerful but you also have to chase down blaster users that will try to kite you.

Im not sure if it is a bug but you can't rest anywhere except beds that seem to be all unowned, and with alchemy being locked behind a quest chain I just ignored it and the game felt remarkably "kotor-ish" with how you rely on medkits to heal.

nar shaddaa is like a weird meme town. ra'virr has a shop there and there is "club arkngthand" that has a dancing dagoth ur.

All of the exploration maps are like 10x the size of what they need to be. At least the mod has some kind of speed tweak going on, plus mounts that add hundreds of speed plus a feather effect.

getting skills in the game is weird. there's a ton of datapads (books) in game and basically everything gives you a random skill up. you can buy like "blaster manual 1" that gives you ranged skills but there are only 5 of those, 5 for melee weapons, and 5 for persuade i believe. trainers are really rare, for spells (force powers) too.

The aesthetic is sick, if you were into kotor or swg well it's basically that but there were also swings and misses like all the hutts look like cartoon blow up toys you would see on a used car lot.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Very specific request:

MM - Enhanced Detection rules, it adds visual effects to the Detect spells so that they actually appear in the world
However, by default when you approach the target, the visual effect fades out. Handy feature, but I think i would like the visual effect to NOT fade out on approach. Could someone who is good at morrowind with a few minutes to spare help me find what variable or whatever would have to be changed in the mod's files?
Thx!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Am I wrong, or is that already an option in the Morrowind Code Patch? I'm pretty sure there's something in that, that adds purple clouds around detected creatures and NPCs.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think you might be thinking of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Oh probs

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Slowly moving towards rebuilding modded Morrowind AGAIN utilizing a modified version of the Expanded Vanilla list on Open MW Mods. (i.e. No 'play bad character' mods due to bloat, keeping out mods I already know annoy me, adding the head choice mods, etc.) I'm noticing a lot more voice mods than last time though, and am I the only one who feels a little weird about including mods that add voice lines to the in-game actors? Like, the one that does audiobooks is fine because apparently it uses community volunteer AI voices but the others... eh. Feels a little weird in the modern climate about AI.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oh, I meant to say, this worked like a charm, thanks again.

Does anyone have a mod that changes the guild ownership of items to account for value? I was using TFH in the old Ebonheart guild and it looks like absolutely everything is available at "Defender". Obviously I can just restrain myself but a mod that ties more valuable items to higher ranks would be cool.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Is there something in the Morrowind++ package from the OP that messes with spell damage? Can't see anything obvious, but I'm noticing that my Greater Fireball seems to deal suspicioislt average damage, i.e. it's listed as 2-40, but it always deals exactly 21 damage.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dragomorph posted:

Slowly moving towards rebuilding modded Morrowind AGAIN utilizing a modified version of the Expanded Vanilla list on Open MW Mods. (i.e. No 'play bad character' mods due to bloat, keeping out mods I already know annoy me, adding the head choice mods, etc.) I'm noticing a lot more voice mods than last time though, and am I the only one who feels a little weird about including mods that add voice lines to the in-game actors? Like, the one that does audiobooks is fine because apparently it uses community volunteer AI voices but the others... eh. Feels a little weird in the modern climate about AI.

I do not feel weird about it, no.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I haven't played a good MW run in a few years now and it's time to go home. So I've installed and set up OpenMW, and now I come to you my Velothi kin to ask the oldest question: Help with mods pls

Specifically last time I played the mod that adds the ability to implement new skills had just dropped but nothing much had been done with it yet. This is extremely my poo poo so I'd love to know if there are any good mods that use that and give us More Skills.

Wealth beyond measure.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dragomorph posted:

I've been thinking about this for other games that are otherwise fully voiced and to be honest I think it's one of very few legit uses for AI voices as long as you're not using it to voice a pre-existing character.

Say if I ever want to make a quest mod for Baldur's Gate 3, it's going to need voice acting or it's going to stick out like a sore thumb (we kind of have to accept it's not going to have full motion capture lol). I am not interested in seeking a community VA effort. If I use, uh, ethically sourced free range AI voice acting (as you refer to) and I'm not making it do a weird ripoff voice of one of the existing companions, and I'm not profiting from this anyway, I don't really see the issue.

That said it's something I've been mulling back and forth on a lot for the last few months and I can't really make up my mind completely.

I don't really see the point in it in a Morrowind mod though since the game... barely has VA.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The mod I use adds greetings for quest NPCs, usually just their first line. For example you hear Fargoth say "Are you the one the boat dropped off? Odd to see a boat arrive at that time of day" and the Guard at the dock and Socucius Ergalla comment on your race and Birthsign respectively. Basically just gets them to the level of voice acting that NPCs from Tribunal and Bloodmoon have.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
voice acting in rpgs was a mistake.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Whorelord posted:

The mod I use adds greetings for quest NPCs, usually just their first line. For example you hear Fargoth say "Are you the one the boat dropped off? Odd to see a boat arrive at that time of day" and the Guard at the dock and Socucius Ergalla comment on your race and Birthsign respectively. Basically just gets them to the level of voice acting that NPCs from Tribunal and Bloodmoon have.

I suppose. But it does feel sort of odd given that there is a mod out there that just flat out got one of the original actors to record dialogue.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

surprised they managed to get him to do the dunmer voice again, iirc he mentioned at one point that he came close to permanent vocal damage from doing it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Air Skwirl posted:

Preach it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I dunno, ya'll seen this yongyea guy voicing kiryu in the latest yakuza game?

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Air Skwirl posted:

I once upset a video game voice actor by saying that (I didn't know that it was his job). I still agree.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like voice acting in many RPGs but also would be perfectly fine going back to text only, I think certain things are lost in many voiced RPGs compared to ones that just need text. Kind of prefer only some lines being voiced if you're going to include VA a lot of times, something like Morrowind style is perfect.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

there are too many british ppl in crpgs. no respect for the rest of the continents funny sounding freaks

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Leal posted:

I dunno, ya'll seen this yongyea guy voicing kiryu in the latest yakuza game?

no i haven't seen him, he's a voice actor not a face actor

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Maybe in other countries it’s just as bad (I don’t speak the heathen Dutch language so I don’t know) but American voice acting is the same ~8 people doing the same ~8 voices and it’s just incredibly immersion breaking to constantly go “oh it’s that guy again”. Skyrim and Oblivion were even worse than the abysmal industry standard about that, so I am immensely grateful that Morrowind was too early to have all that. Attempting to use AI to expand the fleeting canned greetings into voicing all the text would bring Morrowind down to those later standards not up, because it would make it impossible to ignore the shared voices and “That guys”.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vanilla morrowind has the exact correct amount of voice acting

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

S'wit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yep. The correct amount is “enough for flavour”.
the “n’wahs” and the “fetchers” and the “keep moving scum” are all anyone needs.

Of course the hottest crpg of the decade, bg3, is fully voice-acted, and from what I’ve seen the main voice actors have all become minor celebrities online, gamers love them very much, so, who knows.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I could kill that guar, these boots are ruined

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

How much voice acting you depends on what kind of RPG you're in. Morrowind is fine with mostly text, but lets not pretend that games like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines or Cyberpunk 2077 would be better if they were all text based.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
The most important thing is that the player character doesn't speak. Playing Fallout 4 with the mods that show what you're actually about to say really hammered home this point for me. Your own expectations do so much work in making it feel like something your charater would actually say, and it's extremely jarring to pick what you read as "Sure (sighing, rolling eyes)" and your character goes "SURE!! :DDDD"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I could kill that guar, these boots are ruined

quiet. here comes the guar.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Terrorforge posted:

The most important thing is that the player character doesn't speak. Playing Fallout 4 with the mods that show what you're actually about to say really hammered home this point for me. Your own expectations do so much work in making it feel like something your charater would actually say, and it's extremely jarring to pick what you read as "Sure (sighing, rolling eyes)" and your character goes "SURE!! :DDDD"

Nah, there are plenty of games that benefit from a voiced protagonist. Bethesda games aren't one of them though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jay Rust posted:

Yep. The correct amount is “enough for flavour”.
the “n’wahs” and the “fetchers” and the “keep moving scum” are all anyone needs.

"Outlander, WHAT do you WANT."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I will listen Outlander, but. Make. It. Quick.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If you're a Dunmer, how do the Dunmer on Vvardenfell know you're an outlander, anyway? Do you have a [NEW PLAYER] tag floating above you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Node posted:

If you're a Dunmer, how do the Dunmer on Vvardenfell know you're an outlander, anyway? Do you have a [NEW PLAYER] tag floating above you?

I imagine it's like if someone who's a 3rd generation immigrant went back to the country their ancestors were from. How they work it out if you're clad head to toe in bonemold I don't know.