Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Scientastic posted:

I’ve often wondered about this image, is it supposed to be showing that CEO actually do loads of work and are very important? Because I’ve never seen it used as anything other than an example of how they sponge off the hard work of others.

I was always kind of surprised travel wasn’t broken out further in that, given that I’m sure they’d say they were Doing A Business from their private jet instead of trying to use horses to bribe flight attendants into sexual favors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It also lacks dedicated Diablo IV time and Artificial Insemination/ Eugenics / Eternal Life Treatments

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Agents are GO! posted:

They wanted Unicode dicks. :argh:

what the interviewer described: 8====D
what the interviewer actually wanted: 𓂸

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Barudak posted:

Our new business cards do not have our email or phone number or any contact information on them whatsoever so that "we aren't contacted by the public"

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I have some down time so I will reflect on dumb poo poo the last place did. Please enjoy an exciting (boring) story:

Your team will be doing that now

So one of the major things about the place from my last post was that there seemed to be this weird secret subterfuge war between departments that involved trying to pawn off work. The leading example is hydraulic hoses.

Hydraulic hoses are vital to the machines we worked on, and cost quite a lot of money. Ordering them from the OEM or a hydraulic shop even is a waste of money. What you do is if you're lazy you have a fitting supplier come in and top up your bins to keep a certain inventory, refilling spools and doing maintenance on the crimping machinery. This method has a weak point of relying on mechanics to remember to charge their fittings.

When I got there there was some talk about moving the fittings to be with the parts department. Not a problem, I'd just cleared out a chunk of the second floor where we were keeping a bunch of broken microfiche machines and lawnmower blades for brands that haven't existed since the 90s.

Almost 10 months went buy from the first mention to a kind of panic state one morning. Paul Blart, Parts Clerk shows up boiling with anger in front of my desk, with my assistant manager (these two hate each other so it's got to be serious for them to be together here.)

"They're going to make us make hoses! We can't make hoses! We're too busy"

He's right, and to top it off I don't *want* to make hoses. We don't have the space for the crimping machine or a cutting bench (and the hoses are metal wire embedded and wrapped, so they make a ton of nasty black smoke when you cut them) -it would take a whole ventilation system we didn't have. Our department was at the rear end end of a concrete brick extension of a barn that was a warehouse and got turned into an office in multiple stages.

At this point my assistant manager chimes in. "I'll quit. I'm not making hoses".

I managed to calm everyone down and get a story.

Apparently an email was sent, company wide, announcing that the mechanics were going to begin disassembling the cutting bench, crimp machine and fittings cabinet and would we be so kind as to drive a forklift over and take posession of our new responsibility? At this point I'm annoyed, and when I'm annoyed I become very, very bureaucratic. I scan the email, word for word, until I find what I'm looking for.

The guy who sent them email didn't copy our mutual boss on it! He was trying to get everything moved over to us so that he could pretend it was an already done deal by the time the boss found out.

I forwarded the email to the boss-owner with my objections and within a few hours had everything in writing that no, we were not going to be assembling hoses and cutting hose and suchlike.

The fun part is that the garage had lots of space to keep their equipment, but a whole bay/work room was being used as a kind of employee-personal-projects room for rebuilding lawn tractors used in tractor pull contests. Which means that the real reason is that it was easier for the shop to try and offload an entire kind of labor to us than instill any kind of discipline in getting their guys to charge consumable materials.

Mechanic billing is a problem I came across in the last place I worked before that one as well, and I poo poo you not it resolved with having cameras installed and me locking up the paint, bodywork and disposable glove cabinets. To which they responded by using a prybar to open my desk and rifle through my paperwork looking for "crazy glue and copper anti-seize".

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 6, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Taking disposable poo poo home like zip ties and gloves are a job perk. Just let them take a few boxes home the alternative is malicious compliance.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

Taking disposable poo poo home like zip ties and gloves are a job perk. Just let them take a few boxes home the alternative is malicious compliance.

I had no problem with giving people as many boxes as they wanted, I just had the mandate to keep track of consumption. All they had to do was ask me for a box and the size and I'd bring it to them! E-Z.

Zip ties however were charged *by the zip tie*. That garage had serious issues I'm amazed I even managed to sort it mostly out.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
One of the golden rules... I don't care if you take it easy but don't make the boss bother me over it.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

We once received a unit for repair with only a business card attached that said:

Batman
Rides to the airport- $75

Now instead of telling people to send in their stuff with a business card, I have to spell out “Something that has your name, address, and phone number”.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Elissimpark posted:

I'm not sure I understand - what body? What man? I don't recall anything like THAT being found, however:

e: the new business card:

Immediately heard this

https://youtu.be/8ILcZj61QiI

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Domus posted:

We once received a unit for repair with only a business card attached that said:

Batman
Rides to the airport- $75

Now instead of telling people to send in their stuff with a business card, I have to spell out “Something that has your name, address, and phone number”.

Presumably the appropriate contact method for batman would be to use the bat signal so I think that card is fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Got so worked up about the teams AI thing so I clicked the 'submit feedback' link but it opened in edge instead of chrome and after hitting submit got a 'not logged in error cannot submit' andnthe text I wrote was lost so I closed edge and gave up. Microsoft in a nutshell.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I love how this company tries to paper over some issues.

Yesterday I got notification that a major project scheduled for April is going to be delayed because some key big ticket items (345kV circuit breakers) are delayed a few months. I am hearing from the project manager the supplier (Siemens) is pretty much delaying all transmission CB deliveries across the board for various reasons. This is not the first project hit with delays. Steel, switchgear, transformers, lots of different stuff is getting delayed from suppliers.

So this morning, there is an email that everyone who is even slightly near the materials ordering process will have an annual LMS module dropped teaching them how to make sure material is ordered on-time.

I wonder if the company will ever decide that maybe they can’t get away with ordering long lead time materials and schedule an installation outage a week after it is scheduled to be delivered. That maybe they have to suck it up and store some material for a couple of months.

Nah

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Outrail posted:

Got so worked up about the teams AI thing so I clicked the 'submit feedback' link but it opened in edge instead of chrome and after hitting submit got a 'not logged in error cannot submit' andnthe text I wrote was lost so I closed edge and gave up. Microsoft in a nutshell.

just out of curiousity (maybe just pm me if its too deraily) what got you worked up? one of my friends is principal of that department over at MS

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pay for storage? But how will I get my bonus and raise for saving money with JIT deliveries?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would simply convert the parking lot into overflow storage using a tailgating tent.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pay for storage? But how will I get my bonus and raise for saving money with JIT deliveries?

Warehouse from home?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

I have some down time so I will reflect on dumb poo poo the last place did. Please enjoy an exciting (boring) story:

Your team will be doing that now

So one of the major things about the place from my last post was that there seemed to be this weird secret subterfuge war between departments that involved trying to pawn off work. The leading example is hydraulic horses.

Hydraulic horses are vital to the machines we worked on, and cost quite a lot of money. Ordering them from the OEM or a hydraulic shop even is a waste of money. What you do is if you're lazy you have a fitting supplier come in and top up your bins to keep a certain inventory, refilling spools and doing maintenance on the crimping machinery. This method has a weak point of relying on mechanics to remember to charge their fittings.

When I got there there was some talk about moving the fittings to be with the parts department. Not a problem, I'd just cleared out a chunk of the second floor where we were keeping a bunch of broken microfiche machines and lawnmower blades for brands that haven't existed since the 90s.

Almost 10 months went buy from the first mention to a kind of panic state one morning. Paul Blart, Parts Clerk shows up boiling with anger in front of my desk, with my assistant manager (these two hate each other so it's got to be serious for them to be together here.)

"They're going to make us make hoses! We can't make horses! We're too busy"

He's right, and to top it off I don't *want* to make horses. We don't have the space for the crimping machine or a cutting bench (and the horses are metal wire embedded and wrapped, so they make a ton of nasty black smoke when you cut them) -it would take a whole ventilation system we didn't have. Our department was at the rear end end of a concrete brick extension of a barn that was a warehouse and got turned into an office in multiple stages.

At this point my assistant manager chimes in. "I'll quit. I'm not making horses".

I managed to calm everyone down and get a story.

Apparently an email was sent, company wide, announcing that the mechanics were going to begin disassembling the cutting bench, crimp machine and fittings cabinet and would we be so kind as to drive a forklift over and take posession of our new responsibility? At this point I'm annoyed, and when I'm annoyed I become very, very bureaucratic. I scan the email, word for word, until I find what I'm looking for.

The guy who sent them email didn't copy our mutual boss on it! He was trying to get everything moved over to us so that he could pretend it was an already done deal by the time the boss found out.

I forwarded the email to the boss-owner with my objections and within a few hours had everything in writing that no, we were not going to be assembling horses and cutting hose and suchlike.

For some reason I read this as hydraulic horses all the way until "cutting hose" near the end. I was very confused but figured it was just some industry term like a sawhorse or something. I've updated the quoted text so that everyone can share in my mental state.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dude from another department just used the term “dogfooding” when he meant to say “tested” when referring to a product we’re releasing. I mean, whatever but why did we need this word and why make it so viscerally kinda gross? Because developers are disgusting? Fair point.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ceciltron posted:

Zip ties however were charged *by the zip tie*. That garage had serious issues I'm amazed I even managed to sort it mostly out.

lol expending the most amount of effort possible to track the cheapest of all the consumables on an individual scale

this is 'American insurance industry spending man hours tracking individual tongue depressors' levels of dumb

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Dude from another department just used the term “dogfooding” when he meant to say “tested” when referring to a product we’re releasing. I mean, whatever but why did we need this word and why make it so viscerally kinda gross? Because developers are disgusting? Fair point.

I’ve always heard it as “eat your own dogfood” to describe using your own product. As in, make it good enough that you would want to use (eat) it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The implication is developers consider their users to be dumb animals who will eat rancid garbage. So not unlike the dog food magnates of the 70s who made a market breakthrough not selling rancid garbage and making a point of eating it for show, perhaps developers should make software that isn't rancid garbage and can demonstrate that by using it for their own productive purposes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

One of the facilities guys came by asking for a dock and monitors because he wants to do some testing to see what kind of power draw every desk has... And then he finally got to his real motivation - dude wants a four day work week for everyone in the building and is going to use power savings to help justify it.

We immediately offered to help any way we can.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

NFX posted:

For some reason I read this as hydraulic horses all the way until "cutting hose" near the end. I was very confused but figured it was just some industry term like a sawhorse or something. I've updated the quoted text so that everyone can share in my mental state.

This rings a bell. We actually had a laugh at one point because one of my guys made that exact typo and the foreman had an absolute field day making puns. You could say he was riding the joke pretty hard, laughing until he got hoarse.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

lol expending the most amount of effort possible to track the cheapest of all the consumables on an individual scale

this is 'American insurance industry spending man hours tracking individual tongue depressors' levels of dumb

This was the type of place that once I had convinced them to hire a very good candidate, they tried to dick him out of a 50 cent an hour promised raise after completing x time with the company. I had to threaten to quit on principle as I had given my word to get this guy on board. It was a big improvement to my sanity when I went to the bizarre rural family business.

Said company also insisted on not paying any of my suppliers on time. This is because the guy who signed all the checks insisted on signing all the checks, but also would take 2, 3, 4 week vacations. The excuse they gave me? "Well we haven't been paid by [customer] yet, so we can't pay up front for any more parts on their jobs". Said customer was 99% of our jobs. We operated out of said customer's garage in loaned space. He wasn't doing this for lack of funds, he was doing this for ??? reasons. The politics of head office were byzantine and murky.

A lot of our machine shop suppliers dumped us and made us pay cash or card in advance once the higher ups started pulling this poo poo. After I left that place, sales reps I had good relationships with called me asking me how to get paid, there were delinquent invoices etc.,. While I feel bad for them, all I could do was tell them to talk to the management and cut them off, don't deliver anything without cash or card in advance.

A nice gently caress you from them was getting a tax reassessment in the mail this year. They messed up on my taxes to Canada Revenue and didn't declare some taxable benefit or other so I wound up paying a few hundred dollars of back taxes over their incompetence.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

wash bucket posted:

I’ve always heard it as “eat your own dogfood” to describe using your own product. As in, make it good enough that you would want to use (eat) it.

I think the point was feeding it to your own dog, not eating it yourself.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Oh and as an added gently caress you the place that didn't pay suppliers and insisted i count tie wraps/zip ties had a 100km "no compete zone" in the employment contract that I promptly ignored.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

just out of curiousity (maybe just pm me if its too deraily) what got you worked up? one of my friends is principal of that department over at MS

'AI is coming to teams'

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zopotantor posted:

I think the point was feeding it to your own dog, not eating it yourself.
Dog food magnates eating dog food is probably apocryphal but counterpoint: if you're an executive making lovely dog food there is nothing stopping you from feeding it to your own dog, an animal who will eat garbage.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

zedprime posted:

Dog food magnates eating dog food is probably apocryphal but counterpoint: if you're an executive making lovely dog food there is nothing stopping you from feeding it to your own dog, an animal who will eat garbage.

Also the executives in charge of making those decisions are sociopathic fuckwits, and they'd gladly feed the family dog poison if it made them their Q3 bonus.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

One of the facilities guys came by asking for a dock and monitors because he wants to do some testing to see what kind of power draw every desk has... And then he finally got to his real motivation - dude wants a four day work week for everyone in the building and is going to use power savings to help justify it.

We immediately offered to help any way we can.

Some heroes don’t wear capes

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Question for goons, over which I'm torn.

If you're required to get some kind of check done for your job (like a police check, working with children check, whatever the equivalent is where you are), when do you think this should happen?

Before I started my current role I had to do a police check which I had to curate stuff for, submit at a registered place, whatever. I did this last year in December for a job starting in January. Obviously in my own time, but not a huge deal.

Since I started, 2 people I work with have either told me, or are in the process of completing those things after they've started or after they've returned from extended leave. I was shocked cos I assumed HR would want it done before you started but I guess nobody checks? And both people used work time to complete this stuff? Probably not more than an hour or two, but still.

So am I the rube for completing this poo poo early on my own time? Or is this perhaps a little bit of piss taking happening?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ my current job they made me do that and they explained it would take several weeks. They would NOT have allowed me to start the position until it was cleared. I don't think you're a rube, seems pretty standard to not let people into your systems until you've vetted them...I'm more baffled your company has folks working who haven't been cleared...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Also the executives in charge of making those decisions are sociopathic fuckwits, and they'd gladly feed the family dog poison if it made them their Q3 bonus.

'Look, the dog ate it, ok? Don't ask about what happened afterwards. The important part is, it was technically edible.'

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

It would never occur to me to wait to do these things cos I'd be worried HR would withdraw the offer, but maybe I'm overestimating the level of coordination involved here

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

To which they responded by using a prybar to open my desk and rifle through my paperwork looking for "crazy glue and copper anti-seize".

To be fair I can relate to this in my own workplace.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

Since I started, 2 people I work with have either told me, or are in the process of completing those things after they've started or after they've returned from extended leave.

Maybe it's a new policy starting Jan 2024.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

peanut posted:

Maybe it's a new policy starting Jan 2024.

One of them is doing it today, lol

Maybe it was a policy that was only applicable to staff starting specifically in January 2024

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We are retiring the network the researchers are using in favor of a "citrix to a machine that can connect to virtual machines" system. There's a lot to complain about there, but that's for a post not written on a phone keyboard.

I will however say that I'm giving a short presentation to my department about the process tomorrow, and the last slide is basically "what should we be doing in preparation". After a few concrete points I'm fading in a light grey "Despair?" over 20 seconds - and I'm not sure if it's a joke.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Feel free to quote me directly:

Optimize your dogshit code.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Sorry but electron is extremely optimized ( for the business not the user)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Chewbecca posted:

Question for goons, over which I'm torn.

If you're required to get some kind of check done for your job (like a police check, working with children check, whatever the equivalent is where you are), when do you think this should happen?

Before I started my current role I had to do a police check which I had to curate stuff for, submit at a registered place, whatever. I did this last year in December for a job starting in January. Obviously in my own time, but not a huge deal.

Since I started, 2 people I work with have either told me, or are in the process of completing those things after they've started or after they've returned from extended leave. I was shocked cos I assumed HR would want it done before you started but I guess nobody checks? And both people used work time to complete this stuff? Probably not more than an hour or two, but still.

So am I the rube for completing this poo poo early on my own time? Or is this perhaps a little bit of piss taking happening?

Depends on the specifics of the role, really.

Some places you literally can’t do the job at all without the relevant checks being carried out, other places you need the relevant checks on a ‘just in case’ basis so they can be slack about doing them as long as they get done.

Other places have to carry out the checks just to tick a box and it won’t even matter if it comes back “Chewbecca served 20 years in literal biblical hell for eating babies” so don’t care at all about when they actually process the forms.