Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That entire boat was filled with Ukranian POWs :( How could NATO do this???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The footage from the nearby ship is interesting because it supposedly shows the Crimean bridge in the background but also either another vessel or a crane to the right. Based on this I'm assuming the Serhy Kotov was stationed near the Port of Taman.

This would be a good time for the firefighters responsible for fighting fires in the oil terminal to call in sick, because the Serhy Kotov was probably there to provide AA and EW coverage.
:fireman:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

So getting naval warfare advice from the security services from a landlocked country is a good idea?

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

golden bubble posted:

If you are 63 and a "hot 22 year old" starts coming on to you, you should be at least a little suspicious

He thought he was getting 22 year old pussy, but what he's really getting is 22 years in prison.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Story's going to take a turn when we find out she was actually a War Thunder community manager.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

RogueTM posted:

He thought he was getting 22 year old pussy, but what he's really getting is 22 years in prison.

Great success, but there is a nuance

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

jfc

Just a bunch of explosive drones loitering around, looking for the perfect place and time to strike, then flying in to blow up. Terrifying.

I know this has been true for at least 125 years, but jesus loving christ it must suck to be a russian sailor.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

this does raise a good point, have the russians taken the obvious step of filling all available deck space with improvised heavy machine gun/light cannon mounts? press appropriate civilian ships into service as cheap picket ships? it's been almost two years since the first uacv successfully sunk a ship, and their response seems like it hasn't kept pace with ukraine's operational ability

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They have fields full of older battleships and frigates awaiting refurbishment. Perfectly good and will be readied for service at a rate of 100 per month or so I’ve read.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this does raise a good point, have the russians taken the obvious step of filling all available deck space with improvised heavy machine gun/light cannon mounts? press appropriate civilian ships into service as cheap picket ships? it's been almost two years since the first uacv successfully sunk a ship, and their response seems like it hasn't kept pace with ukraine's operational ability

all naval machine guns and light cannons were welded onto BMPs and MT-LBs

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Dumb guy question, at what point does a navy look at swarms of cheapo naval drones loving up their big expensive ships before sighing and starting to slap actual armour back on their ship designs?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Anybody know what song that is?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Drone technology feels like a really huge doctrinal shift in every domain of warfare.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Mr Teatime posted:

Dumb guy question, at what point does a navy look at swarms of cheapo naval drones loving up their big expensive ships before sighing and starting to slap actual armour back on their ship designs?

idk if any ship armor is going to protect from 5+ of these hitting the exact same spot over and over

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dwesa posted:

all naval machine guns and light cannons were welded onto BMPs and MT-LBs

:hmmyes:

Scam Likely posted:

Drone technology feels like a really huge doctrinal shift in every domain of warfare.

i don't know if they've made real progress, but the threat of a coordinated expendable fast boat attack has been a major concern for the us navy for a while now

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr Teatime posted:

I know they were looking at electric armor for warships at one point.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mr Teatime posted:

My understanding with anti-ship missiles is that it's much easier to add a larger warhead to a missile than to add armor to a boat, so any arms race armor wise just favors the missile/drones. Intercepting the drones is the more cost effective method.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Time to bring back torpedo nets and bulges?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Cope nets inbound:
On a Russian ship, appropriately enough. Oh hell they'll actually try this. We shouldn't give them ideas.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 5, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The ship that got hit is a sub 2000 tons "patrol boat". It's lighter than most WW2 vintage destroyers, which were basically unarmored then. There's no feasible way to armor such ship that'll protect against equivalent of 100-500kg bomb.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 6, 2024

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Russians are more practical and will instead simply lash the corpse of an equal length dead, rotting whale to both the starboard and larboard hull sections of their proud fleet.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
A russian boat is like one big floating era pack anyways.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Just cover it in Kontakt-1, duh.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Anti-torpedo-drone nets and 20mm autocannon on every spare space on the deck are back baby.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Russians are more practical and will instead simply lash the corpse of an equal length dead, rotting whale to both the starboard and larboard hull sections of their proud fleet.

The available whales are only the size of a small boat, they're going to need a lot of them.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zopotantor posted:

Anybody know what song that is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQfBDN24tA

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmeylOUBX50

Something something looking back over your shoulder holding the fascism dial waiting for applause.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

Cope nets inbound:
On a Russian ship, appropriately enough. Oh hell they'll actually try this. We shouldn't give them ideas.

As a pre-dreadnought battleship enjoyer and this picture pleases me.

I'm sure we'll see the Aurora reactivated and somehow destroyed in the Black Sea at this point this war's timeline.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

mikerock posted:

As a pre-dreadnought battleship enjoyer and this picture pleases me.

I'm sure we'll see the Aurora reactivated and somehow destroyed in the Black Sea at this point this war's timeline.

A-

The RUSSIAN CRUISER AURORA?!

At this time of day,

In this part of the world,

Localized entirely on the Black Sea bed?!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Samovar posted:

A-

At this time of day,

:five:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Samovar posted:

A-

At this time of day,

can I sink it?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Japan is going to donate the Mikasa for a rematch with the Aurora.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

CitizenKain posted:

Japan is going to donate the Mikasa for a rematch with the Aurora.
Please refer to my previous post...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

My understanding with anti-ship missiles is that it's much easier to add a larger warhead to a missile than to add armor to a boat, so any arms race armor wise just favors the missile/drones. Intercepting the drones is the more cost effective method.

More warhead means slower though, making interception easier.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Samovar posted:

A-

At this time of day,

I have been wondering if there would be hesitance to destroy the Kommuna, just because it's such a relic.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's a famous picture of the HMS Sussex after a kamikaze hit on her armoured belt.

It looks so perfect I'd normally say it was a photoshop, but there's several pictures of the same looney tunes rear end plane outline from multiple angles.

So time to bring back armoured belts?

e:
if Russia can manufacture them yet

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 6, 2024

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There's a famous picture of the HMS Sussex after a kamikaze hit on her armoured belt.

It looks so perfect I'd normally say it was a photoshop, but there's several pictures of the same looney tunes rear end plane outline from multiple angles.

So time to bring back armoured belts?

e:
if Russia can manufacture them yet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

no ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When you get a CT scan from Wish.com. :c2b: