Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Taear posted:

This week's episode loving baffled me as well
I just CANNOT understand why Jan went. I thought it was gonna be between Dan and Dave and then bam, Jan's gone.
Yea hers was cracked but theirs were pretty hosed up, it's so strange to me

Also we've been watching Landscape Artist of the Year. Done series 1/2 and the most recent - which I think is 9. Firstly Frank Skinner is a WAY better host than Stephen Mangan and secondly it's pretty wild how often people come back. Seeing people from other episodes as wild cards just sat painting is strange too. The pot they draw artists from must be legit tiny

The only justification I can think is that she has come close to being cut a few times and they consider the others to be stronger overall. I'm very surprised it wasn't Dave because I think he's been in a fairly similar situation throughout his time.

It is amazing that Donna has got potter of the week 5 times now, but it also goes to show she came into it being a notch above the others. I kind of want her to have a disaster just to see how she deals with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In the landscape artist of the year final this year they told us they had 2000 entrants
No WONDER the same people come back loads, gently caress

It's so weird they've had 3 people from Gibraltar, never seen someone from Gibraltar on any of the other shows that cover the whole UK (Bake Off or whatever)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watched the Outsiders recently and that was a lot of fun. Especially since most of the people were already on Taskmaster, felt kind of like a doubly-british gentlecore version of an outdoor Taskmaster.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I'm introducing my 2 year old to classic (basically my childhood) kids shows via YouTube.

He definitely seems to like the stop motion actual practical stuff more than the animated shows you get these days.

Anyway, we're watching Thomas the Tank engine and I never realised just how much of an utter dick Thomas was.

We just watched an episode where he was banging on about how blue was the best loving colour and he started getting bent out of shape when the green and brown trains politely went "I think we're alright too, mate".

Then, there was an accident where the green train fell off the tracks (due to shoddy guardrails, so totally not his fault) that led to Thomas getting covered in coal and getting pissed cos he was dirty.

The next scene has Thomas (now cleaned) sitting at a station, the green train pulls up, knackered from working and then tries to get a drink of water.

But it can't stop, as if someone's cut his brakes (no explanation is given for his inability to stop) and it ends up driving completely off the tracks and crashing through another dodgy guard rail.

Thomas then just drives off with a poo poo eating grin, laughing about how chuffed he was to see all that, while the green train is stuck, paralysed off the rails.

The end of the episode is then just the two of them in their shed having a chuckle about how maybe all the colours are OK.

It's the expressions too, everything's so hyper expressed cos it's a kids show that Thomas looks as pissed as a gammon thinking the migrants are coming for his pension.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Get your bagpuss on

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Incredible post, 5

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Did something similar with my kids recently, and the only one they gave even the tiniest poo poo about was Trap Door. Which....fair enough.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remembered short lived Saturday morning itv thing Ghost Train yesterday and was explaining it to my partner, and in doing so, it just sounds nuts. The fact the show even had a plotline is very odd. Motormouth didn’t, Live & Kicking didn’t, why does Ghost Train?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Trap Door is pretty drat dark

I loved it as a child

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Thomas is a proper little shitbag, the only good TV engine is Ivor.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

sebzilla posted:

Thomas is a proper little shitbag, the only good TV engine is Ivor.

Seconded

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
brave little toaster was all right imo

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

crispix posted:

I loved it as a child

Dark? It's just a lovely wee cookery programme! What delights will Berk rustle up this week, etc.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

crispix posted:

I loved it as a child

it was your best avatar

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I loved the Spectrum game Trap Door, it was good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WOBFy1Gqo

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The_Doctor posted:

I remembered short lived Saturday morning itv thing Ghost Train yesterday and was explaining it to my partner, and in doing so, it just sounds nuts. The fact the show even had a plotline is very odd. Motormouth didn’t, Live & Kicking didn’t, why does Ghost Train?

Parallel 9 had a plot.

That show was also considerably odd.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

it was your best avatar

they're right you know

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Chorlton and the Wheelies.

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

The_Doctor posted:

I'd imagine Number 73 having a vague plot conceit to it led into Ghost Train doing so, it wasn't until after that the idea kind of fell by the wayside somewhat. Recently discovered a YT channel with a decent bunch of No. 73 episodes so it's been on my mind!

(Also, if we're talking classic kids' cartoons, gotta throw out a mention to Jamie And The Magic Torch. That theme tune!)

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Speaking of Motormouth, I was amazed to see Weird Sodding Dreams has just been rereleased on Steam

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Two Owls posted:

Speaking of Motormouth, I was amazed to see Weird Sodding Dreams has just been rereleased on Steam

Huh, I don’t remember that, but I do remember Magic Pockets.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob the Fish did a good series on BBC and ITV Saturday morning wars

https://vimeo.com/291247149
https://vimeo.com/292384690
https://vimeo.com/293597249
https://vimeo.com/294816641
https://vimeo.com/296162705
https://vimeo.com/297363639

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

God I really, really want to know why Landscape Artist of the Year series 4 isn't on Sky/Now here at all.
It's available everywhere but the UK. It seems totally normal so far, like nothing weird has happened.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They found out that the person they crowned best landscape painter was actually a spy making maps of British naval bases and so forth. Very embarrassing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Two Owls posted:

Man Motormouth. Of absolutely no note beyond being my neophyte encounter with anime via Samurai Pizza Cats.

And that really good Mouse Trap gameshow with the guy who did that Scary House gameshow that "killed off" the contestants (both the winners and the losers) as was the vogue at the time.

More children's gameshows should threaten kayfabe death. I remember obscure family channel (?) gameshow The Big Dish because they just randomly "punted a kid out of an airlock" to round down from 51 to 50 in their 100 contestant gameshow but anything from the last ten years? Not really.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mr. Squishy posted:

They found out that the person they crowned best landscape painter was actually a spy making maps of British naval bases and so forth. Very embarrassing.

I mean, you can use google maps for this, which is why when intensely bored at the weekend there are in fact two HMS Prince Of Wales visible from the satellite images they use

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Having watched multiple hours on the history of Saturday Morning / Summer targeted TV I don’t really relate to a bunch of that but I do remember Going Live / Kicking the most from a Saturday perspective but the shows available on What’s up Doc was superior.

The summer holiday stuff I didn’t really remember anything of honestly, I think I mostly did other stuff but I do remember stuff they didn’t mention as it was aligned more to before 9:30AM or 9:25 going by the whole transmitter thing.

Roland Rat / Timmy Mallet being remembered the most but also from about 1990 we had access to Sky One etc then.

Then there was The Bigger Breakfast which I think was missing from that analysis which seemed limited to BBC vs ITV where I think I remember that a lot more.

Having a look on Freeview it seems this is no longer a thing and it’s mostly shows and honestly more than likely streaming

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is that real?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Snowy posted:

Is that real?

No, I was just thinking of landscape painting scandals and the spying thing was the only one that came to mind.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mr. Squishy posted:

No, I was just thinking of landscape painting scandals and the spying thing was the only one that came to mind.

drat, I loved when I believed you

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I legit had to good look at google and wikipedia that for a bit before I clicked. Nice joke.

Still won't ever top the time they brought in a Nazi on that wood working program.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It reminds me of the episode of blackadder goes forth where they paint no mans land

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Starbucks posted:

It reminds me of the episode of blackadder goes forth where they paint no mans land

It's super amusing to me as scouting and sketching the landscape is a much older way to do it and of course the general is barmy enough to think that is done instead of asking the RFC for a quick few photos.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I legit had to good look at google and wikipedia that for a bit before I clicked. Nice joke.

Still won't ever top the time they brought in a Nazi on that wood working program.

That ruled, just the best.
"Nah m8, my dad died in 1488"
Lee Mac nods, trying to look sad.

e: does anyone remember when a Masterchef contestant did something so appalling in the first round that they got entirely cut from the show. That must have been a fun challenge for the editors

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: does anyone remember when a Masterchef contestant did something so appalling in the first round that they got entirely cut from the show. That must have been a fun challenge for the editors

Yes! Didn't he kick right off at Marcus or something? It felt so weird but since it was Covid era it didn't feel quite as weird as it could have done.

So far the only thing that's happened that's different is in episode 4 two artists went through instead of just 1. Can't see why that'd get it off air though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone enjoying the nostalgia around Saturday morning TV should check out Saturday Morning All Star Hits on Netflix, which is a great satire of the format, despite being American where things were done a bit differently.

It is a shame the format is essentially dead now. Between that and TOTP, it’s like they’re saying everything I remember enjoying about my youth was a waste of time!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Okay I think I know now why it isn't on anything.
The final commission is of a world war 1 battlefield. It's in what's (now) North Macedonia but at the time was the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and they continually call it just "Macedonia" which is pretty poo poo really.
It's the ONLY reason I can think of that it'd be unavailable to watch in the UK/Ireland but fine in the US/Canada.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Khanstant posted:

Watched the Outsiders recently and that was a lot of fun. Especially since most of the people were already on Taskmaster, felt kind of like a doubly-british gentlecore version of an outdoor Taskmaster.
I saw a clip of this on YouTube the other day, where the contenders (I remember Guz Khan, Judi Love and Alan Davies were there) had to sneak some items through "customs" that was David Mitchell in a guard costume.

It was painfully unfunny. Does it work better in the context of a whole show?!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GazChap posted:

I saw a clip of this on YouTube the other day, where the contenders (I remember Guz Khan, Judi Love and Alan Davies were there) had to sneak some items through "customs" that was David Mitchell in a guard costume.

It was painfully unfunny. Does it work better in the context of a whole show?!

I stopped watching a clip compilation because I thought it had to be funnier in context. It is, but it's also still very... Gentle, soft, idk? They tease each other and make bawdy jokes now and then, but it has that British bake off edgeless vibe to it, not my favourite energy in general. David Mitchell also had a hard time ever ranking things if they were all good or competent, only when one was obviously poo poo were his judgements judgemental.

Think of Taskmaster Team tasks, remove the whipping boy and stern overlord, and sprinkle in a dash of Britain's idea of gentle programming.

I also thought the first season was the funniest but I was also watching them while at work so not the fairest judge as my attention waxed and waned as the day got busier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

ConanThe3rd posted:

More children's gameshows should threaten kayfabe death. I remember obscure family channel (?) gameshow The Big Dish because they just randomly "punted a kid out of an airlock" to round down from 51 to 50 in their 100 contestant gameshow but anything from the last ten years? Not really.

For years I've been trying to remember what this show was called for the exact reason of child murder via space death. I could never find anything through googling it because all I remembered was some kind of giant swinging spiked ball that getting hit by sent you to the cold depths of space.