Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played Horizon for a few hours and if you told me that it was a Ubisoft game I wouldn't even have questioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Awesome! posted:

so it starts hard and then gets harder?

Yeah I’m too old for the game

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Azran posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1775490/Slice__Dice/

:stare: one of the best roguelikes finally coming to Steam

unironically GOTY contender for me

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

Nioh 2 is not like a FromSoft soulslike which is why I like it so much.
While it does have a bunch of bullshit out in the levels, just like any soulslike would, you actually get a ton of tools to detect and deal with that bullshit on your very first try.

All the enemies hiding behind corners looking to throw you into a bottomless pit can easily be deal with by getting the magic that shows all enemies on your minima for example, so it's definitely a lot more fun when a game isn't designed by an actual masochist.

The combat is incredible too.

I am biased in the other direction, having played and finished pretty much all FromSoft games since Demon's Souls, but I have played ~80 hours of Nioh 2 and like the game a lot but I would not, under any circumstance, claim it was not "designed by an actual masochist" :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I am biased in the other direction, having played and finished pretty much all FromSoft games since Demon's Souls, but I have played ~80 hours of Nioh 2 and like the game a lot but I would not, under any circumstance, claim it was not "designed by an actual masochist" :v:

I mean...I cannot definitively prove a negative but there are at least no interviews with the director of Nioh 2 where he talks about how he gets a big throbbing erection from watching his character die over and over.

I can at least definitely say from personal experience with Nioh 2 that after learning early on about the easy to acquire Divination Talisman I didn't fall for any of the soulslike traps for the rest of my playthrough.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
nioh 2 proved to me that randomized diablo loot with mostly pointless modifiers, and re-used maps, will sap all my enjoyment out of a soulslike.

the lack of fun bespoke bullshit ambushes and traps was simply the absence of the cherry on top of the absence of a pie.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mode 7 posted:

Which Space Hulk video game is the good one? I know there’s been a bunch but I can never keep straight which is which.

They made them change the name and get rid of the tutorial campaign but... Alien Assault !

Except the last mission of the big campaign that mission sucks. On brave marine/assaulter/whatever against 3 rooms in a row, get out of here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

how hosed are the Helldivers 2 servers currently

I haven’t had any ongoing issues since they started kicking the afk people. Also probably some moving on to newer shinier things but either way it’s been easy to play when I want to. Still get a rare crash here and there.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
For Space Hulk, I'll still sing the praise of the 1993 DOS one. It's as perfect an adaptation of the board game as you can get while still taking advantage of the computer format. The game is real time with pause, but you can use the map to give orders to all marines, including while the game is paused. However, emulating the egg timer of the board game for marines turn, the pause time is limited, and replenishes as you play in real time.

It also taps into the Aliens scene where the captain monitors the squad through the cam feeds as you get the feed from a squad of 5 and can manually control any of them one at a time should you want to. Like the og, when manually firing, your gun won't jam. However, when any marine you don't control shoots (automatic overwatch), there's a risk of jamming. So the manual control has a direct point for heavy fire lanes.

And of course, many missions use two squads, but you only get to see through the cams of one squad at a time, so awareness is always a bit muddled.

The game is absolutely brutal until you realise that you can (and should) play most of it from the map. The map is also how you can order a flamer marine to flame a distant target instead of the adjacent tiles, that makes a big difference in some missions as you can block distant intersections for a bit as the squad moves through.

Other adaptations have their up/downs, but this first one is close to perfection. The VGA resolution and pixel art is a bit dated, but the game itself is timeless.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished cruelty squad. that was... not great, i'm sorry. the gameplay never evolves beyond its basic state, AI never gets better and then the camera stealing enemies were just annoying. bad sound design, not very good immsim level design in my opinion (i get that there are secrets to all the levels but as far as the actual routing to targets goes, i didn't care for it). as far as "weird shooters" go, I had more fun with Northern Journey and might go back to that one soon

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Not sure if it was mentioned yet but the older non-remastered set of Command & Conquer games on Steam have become super cheap for some reason, they're all down to a base price of a couple of euros (or whatever equivalent) now.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/24790/Command__Conquer_3_Tiberium_Wars/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/24810/Command__Conquer_3_Kanes_Wrath/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/17480/Command__Conquer_Red_Alert_3/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/24800/Command__Conquer_Red_Alert_3__Uprising/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's wild, RA3 and it's standalone expo are not dated at all, I still hold them up as top quality RTSs that everyone should play. C&C3, despite being only a year older, hasn't aged as gracefully.

Go buy RA3 for five bucks, you'll get more than you're money's worth even if you only play like two missions, promise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh nice! Picked up Red Alert 3 and the expansion, always meant to give those a go.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Serephina posted:

That's wild, RA3 and it's standalone expo are not dated at all, I still hold them up as top quality RTSs that everyone should play. C&C3, despite being only a year older, hasn't aged as gracefully.

Go buy RA3 for five bucks, you'll get more than you're money's worth even if you only play like two missions, promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_U59u69tys

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Weirdly, C&C4 is also back for sale in Steam's system (no buy button) for $2. 16% positive rating, hehe.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Azran posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1775490/Slice__Dice/

:stare: one of the best roguelikes finally coming to Steam

This is the best phone game ever. Will definitely buy it again on steam.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I keep thinking I should give one of the Horizon games a chance but they keep doing things like releasing on the same day as Dragon's Dogma 2 and it's like 'maybe next time'

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Kanfy posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but the older non-remastered set of Command & Conquer games on Steam have become super cheap for some reason, they're all down to a base price of a couple of euros (or whatever equivalent) now.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/24790/Command__Conquer_3_Tiberium_Wars/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/24810/Command__Conquer_3_Kanes_Wrath/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/17480/Command__Conquer_Red_Alert_3/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/24800/Command__Conquer_Red_Alert_3__Uprising/

Oh yeah - and emphasis on "base price" too. This isn't a sale.

Curious. As someone living in constant hope of a Red Alert 2 (and Tiberium Sun?) remaster, I'll take any activity around C&C on Steam as "lightly encouraging"

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Phlegmish posted:

I keep thinking I should give one of the Horizon games a chance but they keep doing things like releasing on the same day as Dragon's Dogma 2 and it's like 'maybe next time'

Horizon's gate is incredible if you like strategy rpgs

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Huh, a Darwinia patch. Mostly bugfixes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy gently caress what did they do to the store

why do purchase buttons not take you to the payment screen

why does the payment confirmation page not have a download link

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

I mean...I cannot definitively prove a negative but there are at least no interviews with the director of Nioh 2 where he talks about how he gets a big throbbing erection from watching his character die over and over.

I can at least definitely say from personal experience with Nioh 2 that after learning early on about the easy to acquire Divination Talisman I didn't fall for any of the soulslike traps for the rest of my playthrough.
As someone who has spent thousands of hours playing the Souls games, I found Nioh to be like at least 2x more punishing than Souls games. By the end of Nioh I was still getting shredded by regular enemies if they caught me off guard, whereas in Souls games you usually end up pretty tanky. Plus the whole mission-based element where shortcuts don't stay open and switches don't stay pressed after you leave the level makes everything feel a lot more oppressive to me. You can't try a different mission and come back later without losing your progress.

Also outside of Dark Souls 2 which is basically just a one-trick pony made entirely out of ambushes, I never found the Souls games to be very heavy on instakill traps. Like, I can't really think of any off the top of my head outside of maybe the crushing elevator in Sen's Fortress (which you don't need a radar to detect). I know there are some but they don't stand out in my mind enough to characterize the game.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 6, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm by no means trying to be arrogant, I'm not an elite gamer, but I think most people who think souls games are hard just didn't put enough points into VIT. I've beaten all the souls,borne,etc games and your gear and character stats can heavily carry you through the games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Souls games are like most games in that it’s difficultly is mostly front loaded. Once you get going your pretty fine but each game has a different time when you get there

Sekiro is the funniest example of this as it’s the hardest of the souls like games and by a large margin until you learn how to play in the specific ways it wants

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

As someone who has spent thousands of hours playing the Souls games, I found Nioh to be like at least 2x more punishing than Souls games. By the end of Nioh I was still getting shredded by regular enemies if they caught me off guard, whereas in Souls games you usually end up pretty tanky. Plus the whole mission-based element where shortcuts don't stay open and switches don't stay pressed after you leave the level makes everything feel a lot more oppressive to me. You can't try a different mission and come back later without losing your progress.

Also outside of Dark Souls 2 which is basically just a one-trick pony made entirely out of ambushes, I never found the Souls games to be very heavy on instakill traps. Like, I can't really think of any off the top of my head outside of maybe the crushing elevator in Sen's Fortress (which you don't need a radar to detect). I know there are some but they don't stand out in my mind enough to characterize the game.

I mean...to each their own I guess, if that's what you find more difficult then sure thing, but personally I'll take having to be good at combat over having to trial-and-error some level design bullshit.

Also...uhhh...not to be an rear end in a top hat but are you sure you didn't repress those memories maybe? The last soulslike I tried was Elden Ring and after exiting that tutorial dungeon, I was promptly one-shot by 3 completely different things in the span of 10 minutes.
Which reminded me exactly why I stopped playing soulslikes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

I mean...to each their own I guess, if that's what you find more difficult then sure thing, but personally I'll take having to be good at combat over having to trial-and-error some level design bullshit.

Also...uhhh...not to be an rear end in a top hat but are you sure you didn't repress those memories maybe? The last soulslike I tried was Elden Ring and after exiting that tutorial dungeon, I was promptly one-shot by 3 completely different things in the span of 10 minutes.
Which reminded me exactly why I stopped playing soulslikes.
Yes, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've played Elden Ring three times and I can't think of any one-shot level design traps off the top of my head, especially immediately outside of the tutorial area.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

Yes, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've played Elden Ring three times and I can't think of any one-shot level design traps, especially immediately outside of the tutorial area.

The horse knight, the big chariot that goes back and forth, and the invisible enemies that kick you down a pit for trying to take cover from the said chariot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that doesn’t happen. Outside the chariot dude who is a mini boss that just wonders about and but he’s also not particularly special

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

holy gently caress what did they do to the store

why do purchase buttons not take you to the payment screen

why does the payment confirmation page not have a download link

If you're using Augmented Steam, it breaks the site right now. It seems to stop the Add to Cart popup from opening.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I was playing Super Mario Bros. and I got 1 shot by three different things on the first level :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kazil posted:

I was playing Super Mario Bros. and I got 1 shot by three different things on the first level :(

Should've put more points into VIT.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dramicus posted:

I'm by no means trying to be arrogant, I'm not an elite gamer, but I think most people who think souls games are hard just didn't put enough points into VIT. I've beaten all the souls,borne,etc games and your gear and character stats can heavily carry you through the games.

You've beaten all the souls bourne games so you're hardly the average Joe when it comes to the combat in those games. Having just played through the entirety of Elden Ring in co-op with two friends with varying degrees of bullshit tolerance, one of them just could not deal with the dodging required especially in the latter half of that game to successfully beat a lot of those bosses and had to be carried through to the end more or less. Vit helps for sure but there's more to it than that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

The horse knight, the big chariot that goes back and forth, and the invisible enemies that kick you down a pit for trying to take cover from the said chariot.
The chariot dungeons are a little bit bullshitty in that sense but they're also pretty much optional puzzle dungeons. I don't think I did a single one on my first playthrough. The horse knight is just a miniboss, not a trap. It's there to teach you that some things might be beyond your capability right now, but you can still kill it if you want. You did say you want to be good at combat over trial and error bullshit after all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jarvisi posted:

Horizon's gate is incredible if you like strategy rpgs

Hell yeah, definitely one of the best in the genre. The recently released Kingsvein is also super good and something you can beat in like 15-20 hours, which is a blessing for these games.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you're being one shot, you haven't raised vitality; there's really no other answer. I say that as someone who, having played previous souls games, knowingly raised VIT to 20 ASAP but then forgot about it until I was being one shot in the late game and had to reminded that a VIT of 20 was no longer sufficient.

I understand the game doesn't explicitly tell you that you need to raise VIT, and I'm sympathetic to the argument that it's an easy mistake to make; I'm honestly not sure whether to agree with the game's propensity to one shot you. It can, or it can't, based on whether or not you did one essential, but not actually mandatory, choice in character building.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/warner-bros-discusses-volatile-aaa-console-games-will-lean-into-free-to-play-and-mobile/1100-6521597/

Imagine getting so burned by Suicide Squad that you go "Making real video games is hard, so instead of trying to do anything worthwhile we're taking our ball and leaving for the market where quality doesn't matter."

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I grew up in the 90's when a comic book game was guaranteed to be poo poo. this feels like coming home

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

You've beaten all the souls bourne games so you're hardly the average Joe when it comes to the combat in those games. Having just played through the entirety of Elden Ring in co-op with two friends with varying degrees of bullshit tolerance, one of them just could not deal with the dodging required especially in the latter half of that game to successfully beat a lot of those bosses and had to be carried through to the end more or less. Vit helps for sure but there's more to it than that.

You're right that it's a bit more complex than boosting vit. You also need to understand the upgrade system. Someone who's having a particularly hard time might need to do a bit more grinding for upgrade materials, but if you get a decent set of armor to +5/10 whatever, alongside a bunch of VIT, and upgrading your flasks, you can more or less power through the game.

People have done "no rolling" challenges and beaten the game without ever dodging attacks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a loving travesty that not only are people behind Shadow of Mordor/War games, the games with one of the most innovative game mechanics in decades, are forced to work under these corporate ghouls, but also the said ghouls own a vague patent on it, scaring everyone away from attempting to use the same mechanic in their game instead.
A complete waste of potential. Truly we can never have good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/warner-bros-discusses-volatile-aaa-console-games-will-lean-into-free-to-play-and-mobile/1100-6521597/

Imagine getting so burned by Suicide Squad that you go "Making real video games is hard, so instead of trying to do anything worthwhile we're taking our ball and leaving for the market where quality doesn't matter."

This is especially funny because F2P PC/console titles that actually do numbers and make a ton of money are very expensive up front so uh, what exactly are you changing here WB?