Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
There are also effects that key off of being in negative mana; it's a neat mechanic on its own and presents a possible design space that doesn't exist anywhere else in the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just unlocked empowered monos and woo boy that's a bit of a ramp up.
This some good poo poo.

Need to pay more attention to the modifiers instead of reward.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Digital Jedi posted:

Need to pay more attention to the modifiers instead of reward.

Or you could just not do that instead :black101:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Tarnop posted:

My understanding is that negative mana exists because of skills triggering other skills and still costing mana. It's intended design, not a result of network conditions

I'm definitely getting into negative mana by manually casting or channeling. I've just watched it go into the negative and then eventually it stops letting me use mana abilities. Not entirely sure what the rules are here.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm definitely getting into negative mana by manually casting or channeling. I've just watched it go into the negative and then eventually it stops letting me use mana abilities. Not entirely sure what the rules are here.

If you have any amount of positive mana you can cast whatever you want no matter how expensive it is, you'll just potentially go into negative mana. If you're at negative mana you can't cast anything with a cost. That's the entirety of the rule.

It works that way mainly in order to ensure that you don't need to carefully remember to always reserve 47 out of 193 mana for your critical safety teleport or shield or whatever.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I mean in the sense of getting many transactions done easily.

yeah I'm aware, but the rep gain is rewarded upon spending rep, not when an item sells. the reason people are listing at 0 gold is simply because they heard from a "content creator" some misinformation, or got second hand information from someone who had. there's a lot of that sort of behavior going on in the bazaar that probably won't be repeated next cycle.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Basically if you're in negative at the time of the cast, you can't cast anything (unless it's a skill that has a node for being able to cast for free while negative) until you're back to positive.

For example:

8 mana left, skill costs 10 mana, you can cast. Now you're -2 mana, you can't cast anything until back to 1. You can cast again at that time and you're now at -9 mana and now you must wait to be back into positive once more to cast again.

Edit: For clarification, this is strictly in the sense of hard casting. Triggers from other effects have their own rules.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 6, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to suggest that you can't go negative just casting a single skill. I more meant that it feels like they had to solve the problem of "what should happen when you cast a skill you have enough mana for and it triggers something you don't have enough mana for". The solution they went for is that a skill can always be cast if you have positive mana, any skills it triggers will go off, and you go into debt for the total

Actually, you got me to research this further and they answered why it exists in the original Kickstarter FAQ

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastepoch/last-epoch/faqs

quote:

Why do you allow for negative mana?

Being out of mana and not being able to cast anything sucks. Waiting for your big super mode transform skill to come off cooldown sucks. In Last Epoch, very few skills have a cooldown. In order to not have cooldowns, we had to make some spells cost a lot of mana. Like I said earlier, being oom and not being able to cast, sucks. To give you useful options while trying to regain mana, some spells are stylized like cantrips. Spells that cost nothing and can be used frequently. Cantrips are free so they can be cost while at 0 mana. We found that it was still a little awkward to tell when you were actually back up to enough mana to cast a big one again. So we said that as long as you have any mana, you can cast any spell. You still have to regen up the difference before you can use another skill but now it's much more clear that all you can really do is cast cantrips.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It also should be noted that there are some skills like the Void Knight's Erasing Strike that has a node called Time Loop that will echo the skill and specifically calls out that it cannot be done if you're in negative (these additional echoes don't follow the rules of the VK's regular echoes). Just something to look out for as you're working on your build.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

And is there any good filters out there or any tips on what I should set on mine? With everything being identified on drop it kind of makes sense that I could just filter out tons of garbage while showing only the good stuff.

The most help you're going to get from someone else's filter is looking through the filter itself and learning what affixes are rare/valuable. Creating a filter is extremely easy, but knowing what you want to filter is a bit more reading. It also ties into the crafting system, since filtering for the perfect stats means you'll never see loot that could have been crafted into a really good item. The upside to that learning curve is once it's done then every drop (well, almost, since you can't filter uniques by LP) is worth your time to check.

That isn't meant to be a "git gud" commentary. I only started playing on release and had to learn this all the hard way despite other people posting the same thing. Once I sat down and understood the options I deleted all the junk I'd pulled from maxroll and made my own.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Monolith lagon dead at 71 in two attempts because I was watching Netflix and died to the one shot attack. Warlock now has 324 mana and the chthonic fissure is being spammed effectively. Will need to look at the endgame torment/bleed options soon but a variant of the leveling build has been working fine thus far. Found some fun uniques that might not be optimal but enjoying seeing new shiny loot.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mailer posted:

The most help you're going to get from someone else's filter is looking through the filter itself and learning what affixes are rare/valuable. Creating a filter is extremely easy, but knowing what you want to filter is a bit more reading. It also ties into the crafting system, since filtering for the perfect stats means you'll never see loot that could have been crafted into a really good item. The upside to that learning curve is once it's done then every drop (well, almost, since you can't filter uniques by LP) is worth your time to check.

Yea, I was having the same trouble with mine. I mainly switched from being very specific to more general.
Like I need 'Dexterous Sealed Turquoise Ring of Life' ring for my falconer. I select 'sealed turquoise', exalted, and maybe 1 or 2 other affixes but without limiting the values of those.
I have it set up for each gear in slot I want so I hope I don't miss them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Negative mana mechanic is cool and good and I'm glad that devs are focused on making a fun game.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

hey a beastmaster made top 20

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Every day I regret choosing Lich over Warlock. It's even worse since sometimes you just need to see how a skill "feels", and Reaper Form was just not as cool as I hoped it was. Death Seal seems generally unusable too since losing all my ward is pretty fatal.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
wow he must be pretty good to outweigh how much weaker that class is from the others

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When "ascending" a piece of gear, I'm assuming the chassis has to at least be the level of the item you are targeting?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

no, it will roll any random drop in that item category.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish that you could recycle uniques that you don't want to keep into something more useful than 500 gold.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mailer posted:

That isn't meant to be a "git gud" commentary. I only started playing on release and had to learn this all the hard way despite other people posting the same thing. Once I sat down and understood the options I deleted all the junk I'd pulled from maxroll and made my own.

Welp, glad to know I'm not the only one. It's by far the worst part of the game so far.

It's like the game was designed for people who exclusively follow build guides with a downloadable filter preset. Halfway(?) through the game and I'm already tired of inventory management and messing around with the loot filter

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I thought something was up with idols. I know I was pretty specific in my filters, but seeing nothing for this long was weird. Then I did the standard test of throwing a thing on the ground and checking filters individually.

To save anyone else the trouble: You need to tick the option for what you want under the specific idol affix category under General Idols. This has the same effect and same flavor affix name but is considered a totally different affix because reasons. I don't know if anything counts outside the Idols affix tabs, but it doesn't look like it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Actual question: Soul Feast looks neat but it would require ditching either Spirit Plague or Bone Feast. Which would be the best to keep?

Making a warlock focusing on stacking curses, ward, DOTs and necrotic damage. Plus it seems like I'm able to get a fair amount of necrotic resistance shred along the way.
Currently using Bone Feast, Spirit Plague, Cthonic Fissure, Transplant and Hungering Souls

Mailer posted:

I thought something was up with idols. I know I was pretty specific in my filters, but seeing nothing for this long was weird. Then I did the standard test of throwing a thing on the ground and checking filters individually.

To save anyone else the trouble: You need to tick the option for what you want under the specific idol affix category under General Idols. This has the same effect and same flavor affix name but is considered a totally different affix because reasons. I don't know if anything counts outside the Idols affix tabs, but it doesn't look like it.

Yeah, I discovered this late as well

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 6, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the level cap for the character and abilities?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jack Trades posted:

One hundo

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Made it to level 50+ and now just getting one shot by the next story boss, guessing this is where I need to start crafting up some gear?

Jack Trades posted:

For abilities, 20 + whatever extra points you get from items.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

I wonder if that is the same Lpzie

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Jack Trades posted:

Negative mana mechanic is cool and good and I'm glad that devs are focused on making a fun game.

Same. I was very surprised when it first happened but then realized it opened up a lot of neat options.

I’m glad there’s a loot filter here but I’m in :effort: mode these days and have been slumming it with a maxroll one. Figured mine wouldn’t be better than the nolife streamers or folks who played a lot before 1.0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am not using a filter until I understand more what drops

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

For those of us who like poking around, turns out that loot filters are just JSON documents in reverse order, with a fairly simple structure, so you can just slam two different ones together like the one on maxroll for the build and then allies for CoF

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Made it to level 50+ and now just getting one shot by the next story boss, guessing this is where I need to start crafting up some gear?

Is that Lagon you're on?

Make sure your Cold, Lightning and Phys are maxed. Regardless, just don't touch the white beam attack and you should be fine.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I can really recommend this video for anyone who wants to make their own loot filter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNI5aXSxis8

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

euphronius posted:

I wonder if that is the same Lpzie

nah it's a super common name in arpgs

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

nerox posted:

:same: Except I have two characters at empowered monos.

I am also very good at getting characters up in level with very few idol and bonus passive points. :downs:

Yeah this is the one complaint I have about the game, the story is whatever I don't care for it but a lot of it is gated behind later stuff (especially idol slots) and man I just don't care about redoing the story that many times even if there's shortcuts. Even with the shortcuts it's all too long. Especially since factions are locked near the end of the (current) campaign. I've also noticed that a lot of maps just exist to exist to make the story longer and while they aren't visually unpleasing a lot of it just feels like padding to be padding. Especially since the game does not currently use all that real estate like Diablo 3 does with its bounties and bosses and whatever else.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The loot filter system is setup so it's very easy to make adjustments and tweak stuff on the fly. It definitely wasn't designed to force you into copying other people's settings. If you only want to play like a week at the start of cycle a la D3 seasons then probably copying a filter from a guide is going to be more convenient but in general it's worth taking 30 minutes to sit down and figure out a system you want to use for yourself.

To break it down, every filter I've seen has a base setup that looks close to this:

The recolor T7 filter is setup by selecting every non-idol affix (personally I filter out some low value ones) and using the advanced options to require the tier for at least one individual affix on an item to be equal to seven. It looks like this:

For multi T6, you copy that rule and change it to require two affixes with tiers of individual affixes more or equal to six.

The rest is pretty straightforward. I had all resist idols shown for the start of the cycle but now I only care about medium idols with resists and health/vitality and small idols with resists and armor/ward retention and with armor and health. For some builds you might want to see dodge rating or mana. Useful Class Idols requires some game knowledge but you can start with idols for your current build and add on as you make different characters. Hide Class Specific Items is for classes that I'm not currently playing and I adjust it every time I copy the base template to a new character. I manually toggle rares and normal/magic when I get tired of seeing them during the campaign.

If you want to setup further for Merchant's Guild it comes down to game knowledge. I'm not playing trade so I don't really have any tips to offer. There are some public filters like the one linked in this video from Bina or this reddit post but they may not fit your specific needs.

Circle of Fortune drops way too many exalted and figuring out how to sort them is going to depend on your preferences more than anything. The drops being this plentiful is new for 1.0 so there aren't any real tried and trued methods for handling them. Everyone used to just show all Exalted all the time.

Some people will set up BiS filters for the specific items they're looking for. For example you want one of three types of wand with spell crit, crit multi, or cast speed on the prefixes and cold pen, slow chance, or chill chance suffixes. So you set up a filter specifically for that and use advanced options to show items that hit two (or more) affixes above T3 from your criteria:

What I've ended up doing is more broadly try to filter down to good affixes and good bases, which looks like this (I'm also showing belt, boot, and glove bases but I moved up the hide exalted filter to fit in the screenshot):

The trick here is that I have a very good idea of what affixes and bases I want. But if you have less knowledge you can simply rely on the BiS method which only requires you to have knowledge about your current build.

If you are making your own build from scratch it's very useful to go to an online planner and figure out what stats you are getting from your passives, what blessings you have available for resists, and what bases you'll want to end up using to cover your defenses. From there you'll at least know whether or not you want to see all void resist implicit gloves, or all exalted crit chance rings, or all items in any slot with exalted necrotic resist and can setup filters to show those things.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Flavahbeast posted:

lmao loving ckaiba

I know there probably isn't a LE TFT but preemptively gently caress 'em anyway

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I modified a filter somebody else set up. I still don't fully grok all the damage types and which ones are better than others for my build, so having a baseline helped. Still, there's a ton of exalts that drop and I know I'm not going to play another character this cycle so I shut off all the other class ones and weapon types that weren't what I was using. There's still a billion things dropping all the time and I have to empty my inventory every 2-5 monos probably.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think I'm getting that to upgrade my gear, while getting capped on resists, instead of upgrading my gear 1 piece at a time, I should make a second set of gear that has all the right resists, and then not equip it until its done. Otherwise it feels almost impossible to upgrade 1 piece because its everything I could ever want in torso armor, except that it has 60% fire resist, and now I have 138% fire resist and need to replace every other piece of gear that has fire resist. Instead, I'll just throw it on the "future gear" pile and make a mental note not to keep anything else that has fire resist and make sure that set has the frost resist boots, not fire resist.

Mostly, I just need to get a lot of stuff with t5 resists already on it so I can mix and match I guess. I'm not sure what tier you need but you can get like 25% elemental resist, which seems huge

Also I just looked up what the base mana regen is, and its 8 per second, so mana regen kinda sucks, huh? from an efficiency standpoint I mean. Like you get as much as you can from passives, but it seems like for fissure to feel good you need like 22-25 per second regen, but maybe it's better to settle for less and go for a bigger mana pool? I did notice that when I switched away from a staff that gave -3 cost to spells, it had a MAJOR impact, because it was reducing the cost of fissure, and also the cost of every chaos bolt the fissure fired

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 6, 2024

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

wow he must be pretty good to outweigh how much weaker that class is from the others

😁👍🏼🐕

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

Same. I was very surprised when it first happened but then realized it opened up a lot of neat options.

I’m glad there’s a loot filter here but I’m in :effort: mode these days and have been slumming it with a maxroll one. Figured mine wouldn’t be better than the nolife streamers or folks who played a lot before 1.0

Raxx made a pretty good guide that I followed to make a semi lovely filter of my own. It was only like 6 rules, one of which was hide everything and the last was show all uniques.

His main emphasis was on finding exalted items with t6 or 7 affixes, with TWO exalted affixes, and then random regular items with important affixes to your build that you just want to shatter and stockpile.

He also emphasized how you want to pick up items with other class skills on them, because otherwise when it comes time to try and craft off a bad affix from an otherwise perfect legendary-worthy exalted, you will be stuck.

Also decent idols.

When I turn off my loot filter there sure is a lot of poo poo on the ground lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I wish you could filter by the value of idol rolls.