Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Kind of frustrated they nerfed all the meta poo poo rather than buffing the stuff that wasn't meta, this way leads to nothing feeling good to use.

What does it mean 'nothing feeling good to use' ?

The game sound design, animations and weapon feel is pretty drat good in general, not only in the few 'meta' weapons. What I want to say is you typed 'feeling good' but I suspect the meaning behind is more 'what it felt good was to mow down easily my enemies and having to retreat from danger less'.
I can only say if what you want to feel like that, you can still do it... it's called playing two difficulty levels below of what you usually played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

flashman posted:

Buff only is idiotic

I've had the conversation where I was told everything players use should only be buffed, and if that made the game easier than intended, then every single enemy and boss should get huge buffs in turn. Like turning a clock eleven hours forward because you refuse to turn it an hour back

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

I've had the conversation where I was told everything players use should only be buffed, and if that made the game easier than intended, then every single enemy and boss should get huge buffs in turn. Like turning a clock eleven hours forward because you refuse to turn it an hour back

People really want to play CoD uh, where you kill everything fast and everything kills you fast too.

I'm at work, so it will be nice if someone who is playing comment this:

Planetary Hazards active
Many planets now have additional environmental challenges that will appear at random while you are deployed, from fire tornadoes to meteor showers and many more.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

People really want to play CoD uh, where you kill everything fast and everything kills you fast too.

No, like, if a weapon does twice as much damage as all the others, then all the other weapons should be buffed to do twice as much damage, then every single baddy should have double the hit points. Because hitting the one weapon that's out of line is a demand to ruin the fun of the people who like that weapon

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I played a mission with Meteor Shower, poo poo killed me twice and I'm sure there's no recourse to it because they come fast, there's no indicator of where they land, and if anything I swear they were targeting people directly because both my deaths were dead on.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

That just sounds annoying??

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I guess the core assertion for many people is that the breaker and railgun were not out of line but the baseline level of effectiveness any weapon should have. I mean, the Spray n Pray is literally completely useless in every circumstance, the JAR sucks, etc etc. I would be having a lot more fun with this game if unlocking weapons wasn’t universally a complete disappointment. Stratagems are fun and cool, I just don’t understand why they insist on primary weapons being basically all awful, and, increasingly, support weapons too

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I do agree some amount of buffing is needed because right now the primaries mostly feel like poo poo aside from the breaker and nerfing the breaker doesn’t help that. It probably ALSO needed nerfs yes but still.

Primary gunfeel is, on the whole, terrible with a couple outliers. It feels like your support weapon is your primary and vice versa.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

There are difficulty sliders down though and that would gently caress up the high difficulties challenge, particularly since armor wasn't working at all

Would have been nice to see more changes to the alternate primaries for sure though besides just the spray n pray

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I cannot believe the laser cannon can't just sweep the lil bug sentries off the field. It pops the little green spitters instantly and can pop bile spitter heads decently fast. Saw people saying it could penetrate and take the legs off chargers, but could not pen anything but the weak spots on a docile charger. I think they had the charging animation bug helping them out. Using it on a cold planet, it still couldn't fire long enough to make a dent in a bug breach though, so arc thrower/flamer it is.

Turin Turambar posted:

Planetary Hazards active
Many planets now have additional environmental challenges that will appear at random while you are deployed, from fire tornadoes to meteor showers and many more.

People don't want to be dependent on their team in a game that's trying to require actual team work to succeed. They don't want I am weak but we are strong, they want I am strong but we are invincible.

Meteor showers are a bit bleh. It gives you a periodical warning about incoming, and it's like the map is getting peppered with a lot of small aoe grenades at random. If you look straight up you can see a twinkle before impact, but if you're not looking up you're in God's hands. The shield bubble might be a good counter, but I didn't think to bring it.

Also why did I never think about testing the deployable shield generator with mortars before now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Me and a bunch of mates chipped in to get one of our friends a copy for his birthday.

Hoping I've also sold them on it so we can get a full squad going :getin:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah I played a mission with Meteor Shower, poo poo killed me twice and I'm sure there's no recourse to it because they come fast, there's no indicator of where they land, and if anything I swear they were targeting people directly because both my deaths were dead on.
Hot take:

Dying to your mates flailing around in a panic and accidentally dropping a 500kg on your head = funny and good

Dying to random rear end game mechanics that you can't avoid and you have negligible warning of, just because the conceit of the game is that Helldivers are disposable and players should get used to that = unfunny and annoying

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah it wasn't great

Dead game

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The meteor shower you can kinda dodge them if you look? Ran through 3 only died once. It's...okayish now but yeah could absolutely use some sort of warning. Even if it was "Warning: you are in range of natural artillery"

Tried out the 120mm barrage, laser rifle and flamethrower against bugs post patch.

Laser: still kind of meh but not as bad. Slices off limbs really well so start thinking Dead Space with it.

Flamethower: went from good to better

120mm barrage: Shots actually land in the same zip code as the stratagem ball

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the flamethrower absolutely loving melts chargers now if you focus a leg. it kills them so fast

toasterwarrior posted:

there is absolutely an indicator of where they land lol, the ground glows blue where they'll hit

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah that'll do it, I was playing on a snow planet at night (or moon?) and everything kinda blends together

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

bandaid.friend posted:

Bro look no further than this thread.

Anyone test the armor yet?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Frog Act posted:

I guess the core assertion for many people is that the breaker and railgun were not out of line but the baseline level of effectiveness any weapon should have. I mean, the Spray n Pray is literally completely useless in every circumstance, the JAR sucks, etc etc. I would be having a lot more fun with this game if unlocking weapons wasn’t universally a complete disappointment. Stratagems are fun and cool, I just don’t understand why they insist on primary weapons being basically all awful, and, increasingly, support weapons too

Baffling how hard it is for some users to understand this. Nerfing the Breaker is not going to make people suddenly fall in love with, say, the Liberator Penetrator or the Spray and Pray - it's still going to be a dogshit gun that can't keep up whatsoever. The Breaker and Railgun combo was one of the few that could actually keep up at higher difficulties, and just making it worse does nothing to make anything else worth using.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I played a quick game on 5 versus bots with heavy armor to test out some of the stuff that got changed. The 380mm definitely still sucks, but the Laser Cannon and Punisher feel pretty good. Heavy Armor definitely takes way less damage on individual hits, but you run out of stamina so fast you can't escape anything compared to the near-infinite sprint light armor gives you.

The Laser Cannon in particular stood out because it seems to do appreciable damage on body shots to Devastators. Not 100% sure on this, and you definitely still want to headshot them regardless. The extra ammo on the Punisher definitely helps out a lot too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LazyMaybe posted:

the flamethrower absolutely loving melts chargers now if you focus a leg. it kills them so fast

there is absolutely an indicator of where they land lol, the ground glows blue where they'll hit

Just did an extract with 2 EMP mortars and one dude laughing like a maniac as he roasted all the bugs that ran into the chokepoint and were then frozen. Flamethrower Good.

And Punisher feels so much better with +20 ammo. Still only gets half back on resupply but that's 30 instead of 20 now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I would be having a lot more fun with this game if unlocking weapons wasn’t universally a complete disappointment.

I just bought the counter sniper, half in hopes that it will be a good gun one day, and half because I need to spend medals to reach the next threshold so I can buy the Slugger which is apparently an actually good gun. That's a poo poo Feeling

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alkydere posted:

Laser: still kind of meh but not as bad. Slices off limbs really well so start thinking Dead Space with it.

They buffed the laser canon, not the laser rifle. Dunno why since the rifle is awful.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Baffling how hard it is for some users to understand this. Nerfing the Breaker is not going to make people suddenly fall in love with, say, the Liberator Penetrator or the Spray and Pray - it's still going to be a dogshit gun that can't keep up whatsoever. The Breaker and Railgun combo was one of the few that could actually keep up at higher difficulties, and just making it worse does nothing to make anything else worth using.

The breaker and railgun trivialized helldive bugs it didn't just keep up lol

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Turin Turambar posted:

Planetary Hazards active

I've played two missions on Fenrir today, at different difficulties, where meteor storms came in. They literally fall from the sky and one shot you. There's no predicting them (afaik) and it nearly wiped the whole team once.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm also of the option that more of the lower performing primaries needed buffs more then anything, or primary fire to be worth much of anything on chargers if they are going to send 5+ chargers at a time when any little bug gets a breach going.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

They buffed the laser canon, not the laser rifle. Dunno why since the rifle is awful.

Oh, I never used the big shoulder mounted one so I wouldn't know how that feels. Rifle felt...okay if used to cauterize limbs. Still likely gonna use pump shotgun, AP-Liberator or Defender.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Stop playing in higher difficulties then?
Seriously, if your strategy to being able to play a higher difficulties was 'play with weapons A and B' it means there was an issue somewhere. You are supposed to pick higher difficulties if your knowledge of the game, player skills and and teamwork with your mates is good enough, it shouldn't depend of what equipment you have unlocked.

The devs nerfing the Breaker/Railgun are indirectly saying to the community "no, the floor skill to play at this difficulty is THIS high'.

The only issue I have with all this is that you *need* to play at the higher difficulties to grind for the last sample type.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I shall simply not fight bugs and thus won't notice any of the balance changes, unless they made it so that the railgun can't oneshot devastators on a headshot.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Really the solution to every "this thing kinda feels lovely" is to just not fight the bugs. They're trash! Fight bots instead!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Re: armor, the patch notes on Steam say

quote:

Fixed armor rating values not reducing damage as intended.

which implies to me that armor was being treated as zero and even light armor should offer more protection than we were previously getting?

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 6, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Darox posted:

Really the solution to every "this thing kinda feels lovely" is to just not fight the bugs. They're trash! Fight bots instead!

Guess what today's directive is!

I made it through diff 7 bugs post patch with light armor, flamer, and shield. It was doable but fighting multiple chargers felt annoying. Might try bringing EMS, if the cooldowns are low enough for me to reliably have them up for charger encounters then it might feel a lot better. I did not encounter spitters however, and am very concerned about trying to fight them close range.

The shield still did a great job of covering me from the occasional sneaky bug hit and I didn't die at all during the mission, so if you're typically good at positioning but still want that coverage in light armor it's still a fine choice. Curious about using the jump pack to get clerver flamer angles but my previous experiences with the jump pack are mostly disappointing.

Slugger does work on decapitating Brood Commanders and will eventually kill defenders from the front, so Slugger + Arc/Secondary for clearing small bugs will probably decent outside of chargers.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 6, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Piell posted:

which implies to me that armor was being treated as zero and even light armor should offer more protection than we were currently getting?

Yes I think this was known as the case, all armor values were 0 previously.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

All I know is the devs explicitly called out my favorite weapon (the Autocannon) by name as balanced and fair so I know they consider me a skilled gamer in their eyes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
But you dont really need the last sample type unless youre playing at higher difficulties to begin with where thise small edges matter.

Piell posted:

which implies to me that armor was being treated as zero and even light armor should offer more protection than we were currently getting?

It sounds like they were all reducing damage as if they were baseline medium armor, so now scouts take slightly more and heavies take a lot less but baseline medium feels unchanged

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Chillgamesh posted:

All I know is the devs explicitly called out my favorite weapon (the Autocannon) by name as balanced and fair so I know they consider me a skilled gamer in their eyes

The Autocannon feels great when it works. When it ricochets it feels bad. When it ricochets and kills you it feels awful.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Diephoon posted:

Guess what today's directive is!

Good news is that the total kills of a team seem to work for the kill bugs directive. End of round stats said I had about 150, but the directive said I had over 350 in progress. A second mission fixed that up.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Diephoon posted:

The Autocannon feels great when it works. When it ricochets it feels bad. When it ricochets and kills you it feels awful.

I never really had any problems with bouncing shots against anything lighter than an Annihilator but I don't run it at all against bugs, I just use the EAT there. Will probably try the Flamethrower and Arc Cannon next time I play a bug mission

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, exactly this. It also really takes the wind out of my sails in terms of general progression; there just aren’t any major milestones left for me at level 24 besides a few shop upgrades using super samples. Every time I’ve been stoked to unlock something - dominator, JAR, scythe, liberator explosive, whatever - it’s been disappointing with no utility and I use it once before going back to the breaker, breaker incendiary, or defender. Every gun should be viable and they seem to be going for the no gun is viable approach which is befuddling

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Stop playing in higher difficulties then?
Seriously, if your strategy to being able to play a higher difficulties was 'play with weapons A and B' it means there was an issue somewhere. You are supposed to pick higher difficulties if your knowledge of the game, player skills and and teamwork with your mates is good enough, it shouldn't depend of what equipment you have unlocked.

The devs nerfing the Breaker/Railgun are indirectly saying to the community "no, the floor skill to play at this difficulty is THIS high'.

I don't agree with this because I did drop down to baby difficulty recently to do a flag raising mission and even though the mission was trivial with long periods of absolutely nothing, the few times I did fight stuff I was extremely disappointed by trash disguised as a gun called the Scythe. Wanting all the awful weapons to get buffed up to the standards of the good weapons isn't an indication that someone is 'too bad for suicide difficulty' or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The railgun felt appropriately powerful for needing to wait until level 20 to unlock. I feel like the bigger need, for bugs at least, was to do something about chargers. I play on PS5 and there’s no way I’m able to aim for the 10mm of exposed skin at its leg joint like that one goon was talking about a couple days ago. Getting headshots on bots is also not a given. I appreciate the PC players who can, but a lot of these changes feel like the result of crossplay discrepancies.

I can only take one primary gun. Buff those to make more of them appealing.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 6, 2024