Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I was pretty good at dodging/flurry rush in BotW and couldn't figure out what I was missing in TotK until someone clued me in: you need to jump laterally to dodge vertical strikes, and you need to jump back to dodge horizontal strikes.

Completely trivial after that and I felt real dumb. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive been playing a bit of BOTW and the game never tells you this. What an odd oversight.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Is it not introduced in the combat tutorial shrine in Kakariko?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I stopped playing TotK last summer because I wanted to scrape the save off my switch and play it emulated on my PC with my 4k OLED. I have a 5600x and a 3080 - what kind of performance can I expect? I mooched around a bit on the opening islands and it looked and ran much better than natively on the switch but I've heard it can be taxed a bit more in cities etc - but my assumption is it's still going to look much better than on the switch, right? or are there other performance issues i should be aware of

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Ive been playing a bit of BOTW and the game never tells you this. What an odd oversight.
I don't remember it being a thing in BotW, is what I was trying to to say. Entirely possible that I'm misremembering.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

mastajake posted:

Is it not introduced in the combat tutorial shrine in Kakariko?

I'm pretty sure it is... However, you can only do that tutorial once per playthrough, so it's easy to forget.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Fifty Three posted:

I was pretty good at dodging/flurry rush in BotW and couldn't figure out what I was missing in TotK until someone clued me in: you need to jump laterally to dodge vertical strikes, and you need to jump back to dodge horizontal strikes.

Completely trivial after that and I felt real dumb. :doh:

Well that makes perfect sense, because :same:

Like I said, I was really good at it in BotW but suck at it in TotK.

But like that other poster said, I guess it's easy to forget :shobon:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah I don't wanna go back and reinstall BotW just to test it out but the way I remembered it a dodge is a dodge, there wasn't a match-direction-to-attack requirement which was my problem for most of TotK

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah I don't wanna go back and reinstall BotW just to test it out but the way I remembered it a dodge is a dodge, there wasn't a match-direction-to-attack requirement which was my problem for most of TotK
I also don't want to go back to test it, but my memory is the opposite. At least with lionels.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I stopped playing TotK last summer because I wanted to scrape the save off my switch and play it emulated on my PC with my 4k OLED. I have a 5600x and a 3080 - what kind of performance can I expect? I mooched around a bit on the opening islands and it looked and ran much better than natively on the switch but I've heard it can be taxed a bit more in cities etc - but my assumption is it's still going to look much better than on the switch, right? or are there other performance issues i should be aware of

I played it in yuzu on a 2014-era 4790k and a 1080 ti and it ran at full (30fps) framerate at 1080p. It crashed a lot but this was right after it came out, I think just an emulator issue

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The most noticeable issue with Yuzu will probably be shader-related, the emulator needs to process shaders when they're called. That means either stuttering the first time a shader is used (means a lot of stuttering early on) or missing graphical elements (also mostly early on).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ignoring the weird setup going on in this living space for a moment:

https://x.com/Yopachie/status/1762336144598159685?s=20

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That looks like the soap opera filter old people always have on their smart tvs

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Alxprit posted:

I think the issue is that people need to decide when they are done with the game, rather than a linear game funneling you into it over time. And it's hard to decide to say "I'm ready to be done," as a personal thing.

If you get into a mode where you're grinding for something it gets lovely. I finished BoTW the night before ToTK came out and in BoTW I had gotten to the point of playing with clear objectives like "find those last shrines" and "I'm gonna to finish upgrading this armor then I'll fight Ganon" and it was hard to get back into the mode of just exploring and letting the game unfold based on exploration. For instance, I got it in mind that my objective was to upgrade my battery and I discovered just wandering around the depths looking for charges and zonaite is a terrible way to approach the game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://kotaku.com/katsucon-2024-best-cosplay-final-fantasy-elden-ring-1851297180/slides/2

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Good job "cowbuttcrunchies"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I take back what I said about the game feeling less grindy if you let it unfold "naturally" in the case of the infamous "Call from the Depths" sidequest.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Would love a remake of Majora's Mask that takes advantage of the lack of restrictions they have. Not just a reskin like the 3ds ones.

More towns people, bigger clock town, more dungeons even if they are mini dungeons, better utilization of the items outside the dungeon.

I know it would never happen because remakes are never enhanced anymore. I got spoiled early on with super Mario all stars and Link's Awakening dx.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

heh, neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDFNwvp7CQ

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

That…feels like the kind of thing Nintendo should’ve caught during the extra year of polish they took lol

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So you're saying you can use pot to get high? :hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So you're saying you can use pot to get high? :hmmyes:

We always knew Link was a stoner

https://i.imgur.com/wgrLKE2.mp4

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I take back what I said about the game feeling less grindy if you let it unfold "naturally" in the case of the infamous "Call from the Depths" sidequest.

i just did this one and i'd heard so many stories of the eyes despawning after you drop them i put on my flight suit for no fall damage and just held them the whole way down lol

spoiling because i think some new players are still in the thread?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

i just did this one and i'd heard so many stories of the eyes despawning after you drop them i put on my flight suit for no fall damage and just held them the whole way down lol

loving genius lmao

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Did we ever get an answer if height is factored in when jumping on enemies from high places?

I don't have the aim

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

I left the first eye on the ground next to the statue because I must have tried to fit it in wrong and then when I got there with the next one I was like, ah...yes.

Also I probably shouldn't have waited until 80 hours in before going to Robbie to upgrade the pad lol

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

My main goal was to upgrade the pad because of how useful it can be. Everything else was done as a means of unlocking the pad.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

I always forget to take advantage of that suit til the “you fuckin died idiot” jingle plays and I slap my forehead. I think it’s because it is such an insane ability it doesn’t even occur to me that you could simply become invincible

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was looking through the BoTW thread and I stumbled upon a post of mine from March of 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I love poo poo like this.

God damnit it's going to be another 5 years before the next big Zelda game is out, isn't it.

I was correct!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Docjowles posted:

I always forget to take advantage of that suit til the “you fuckin died idiot” jingle plays and I slap my forehead. I think it’s because it is such an insane ability it doesn’t even occur to me that you could simply become invincible

it's incredible for just a level 2 upgrade, it's my favorite new piece of kit

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
No fall damage? That's balanced, by the time you get that upgrade you played enough to get where we were going.

Post game ability that stops Zonite wings from despawning after two blinks of the eye? Never.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finally got BotW. I've only ever played LttP. I'm so annoyed with it a lot of the time, but I cant stop playing. I cannot believe they thought up the weapon damage system to begin with, and then actually went ahead and implemented it. And no way to repair! Just really gives you that anti-player feeling from the NES days. Stamina, especially as it relates to swimming, really should have been adjusted as well. I remember memes comparing it to Dark Souls at launch, it comes nowhere near it in terms of difficulty, or most other ways. But I keep wanting to come back.

I usually try to not look anything up during a first playthrough of a game but I've gotten basically no hints about recipes aside from the item descriptions so I used a website to track my inventory and tell me what I can make. Why do most of the recipes just...do nothing? According to the website anyway, there are a ton that offer no health or status bonuses.

I like having the lay of the land, I'm not all that deep in the story but I have basically the east half of the map exposed, sometimes at my own peril. I did reach the northern lab and get the ancient equipment so I was able to go back to the central tower and defeat the few surrounding guardians and reach the top. I've completed the elephant beast but not much else as far as the story goes. Perhaps owing to the fact that I've stayed in the east so far, enemy variety is kind of disappointing. And what with the weapon condition degrading, I'm often conflicted as to how to mine poo poo. I try to keep an iron sledgehammer, but failing that, using the bombs makes the gems fly to gently caress. I'm not even sure what good they are really, aside from selling.

Racked up like 16 korok seeds, also no idea what they do. I assume the counter on the loading screen, one of them is how many shrines you've done? If so, I'm up to 29 I think. I've gotten 2 stamina upgrades and the rest, hearts. When I found the test of strength shrines, I thought I was really in for it when I got to the major one. Easy peasy. I assumed there was just the one set of those but I've discovered there are at least 2. I like using the powerful weapons to just dummy hinoxes but I keep having fomo about how I'm going to deal with end game poo poo if I wear out the good weapons now.

Feels like its going to take forever to beat this, which is good, but I'm hoping to get this and Tears done before the Elden Ring DLC drops.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
turn your korok seeds over to mighty hestu at lookout landing to expand your inventory. the recipes are just kind of fun, but you really just make them to improve that benefits of any edibles you pick up that have bonuses to hearts, armor, damage, etc; note that any recipe can only have one bonus, so just slap that ingredient together with stuff that gives you a bunch of health back

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

oh wait botw. you'll still turn your seeds in to hestu, but he's in a different place you should have run into on your way to the village the game guides you to early in, after which point he moves somewhere else. i think he tells you where after that first meeting?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

he's on the road winding up the mountain northwest of the stable by the field of dead guardians that leads through a gate into a spooky forest to the east. i don't know what the stable is called. there's a dog.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There’s a Korok on the side of the road leading into Kakariko village that’s very easy to miss, especially if you don’t follow the breadcrumbs after first leaving the great plateau. Go here and do this quest:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haven't seen dude since he gave me the paraglider. Kinda like my first time playing Morrowind where I was level 50 something when I finally went to see Caius Cosades in Balmora

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

Haven't seen dude since he gave me the paraglider. Kinda like my first time playing Morrowind where I was level 50 something when I finally went to see Caius Cosades in Balmora

It’s a Korok named Hestu you’re looking for. This is really the only quest that screws you over if you overlook it early in the game. Nintendo should’ve done a better job pointing you to it after you leave the great plateau.

I also recommend going to the Hateno Village Lab and doing the story stuff there to unlock the full potential of your Sheikah Slate, if you haven’t already.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

codo27 posted:

I like having the lay of the land, I'm not all that deep in the story but I have basically the east half of the map exposed, sometimes at my own peril. I did reach the northern lab and get the ancient equipment so I was able to go back to the central tower and defeat the few surrounding guardians and reach the top. .

Racked up like 16 korok seeds, also no idea what they do. .

You have ancient gear but haven't done anything with korok seeds yet? That's definitely a unique way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Eventually you will stop worrying about your weapons breaking and embrace throwing them in an enemy's face when they are near breaking (but it really helps if you collect Korok seeds and give them to Hetsu to expand your weapons inventory).