Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if this is where the marauder refresh rumors were coming from.

Presumably this is the marauder refresh, they might briefly coexist until the next battletome but I'd bet good money the old marauder warscrolls aren't in the next book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rules question:

My friend is arguing that impact hits that target the closest model can be allocated to units embarked in KO ships. His argument is that since you measure range from the ship, all the embarked models are equidistant from each other and he can choose

There isn't any real rules on this but RAI, it feels like the boat would be the closest model because the units are inside the boat. any ideas on which it is?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Business Gorillas posted:

Rules question:

My friend is arguing that impact hits that target the closest model can be allocated to units embarked in KO ships. His argument is that since you measure range from the ship, all the embarked models are equidistant from each other and he can choose

There isn't any real rules on this but RAI, it feels like the boat would be the closest model because the units are inside the boat. any ideas on which it is?

Your friend is correct.

The unit is on the battlefield but is measured to from the ship, so it is exactly as far from anything as the ship is.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
KO's dire secret is that being in the boats makes them exceedingly vulnerable. It's just usually they have a pretty good chance of shooting anything that could reach over and hit them before they're in danger.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

grassy gnoll posted:

Because those are part of the current production run and all they had to do to make those boxes was print some new cardboard.

Maybe the algorithm is spying on me again but a video was just recommended about 40k players being a bit unhappy with the new Combat Patrol boxes. Each of the new boxes have been a 10-25% reduction in savings and points values and the Space Marine and Tyranid boxes are each $160 when you can drop $175 on a starter box that contains both combat patrols and terrain.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

KO's dire secret is that being in the boats makes them exceedingly vulnerable. It's just usually they have a pretty good chance of shooting anything that could reach over and hit them before they're in danger.

I'm running into an issue where my friends squigs make a 15-30 inch move+charge in a single turn, he eats all my crew before I can attack, and I just shrug and lose the game on turn 2 :shrug:

I've just decided I'm not playing KO against him for the future but if anyone has tips on how KO beats Squigs, I'm all down for it

Edit: breaking point last night was me killing 2/3rds of a squig herd, him not doing any damage to me, but me still losing half my Thunderers since he lost the rest of the unit in Battleshock lol

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 4, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe the algorithm is spying on me again but a video was just recommended about 40k players being a bit unhappy with the new Combat Patrol boxes. Each of the new boxes have been a 10-25% reduction in savings and points values and the Space Marine and Tyranid boxes are each $160 when you can drop $175 on a starter box that contains both combat patrols and terrain.

I mean, I'm right there with you, I think it's gonna be another half-baked attempt at an entry point that'll ultimately go nowhere. Number gotta go up.

I'm running into an issue where my friends squigs make a 15-30 inch move+charge in a single turn, he eats all my crew before I can attack, and I just shrug and lose the game on turn 2 :shrug:

I've just decided I'm not playing KO against him for the future but if anyone has tips on how KO beats Squigs, I'm all down for it

Edit: breaking point last night was me killing 2/3rds of a squig herd, him not doing any damage to me, but me still losing half my Thunderers since he lost the rest of the unit in Battleshock lol

What are you doing for screening? Feeding the squig herd or bounders a unit of arkanauts or even a tiny boat seems like a good exchange for keeping them in place to shoot 'em to death in your turn.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

What are you doing for screening? Feeding the squig herd or bounders a unit of arkanauts or even a tiny boat seems like a good exchange for keeping them in place to shoot 'em to death in your turn.

I wasn't doing much screening last time but he plays 30 Squigs. Whenever I try to shoot it I can wipe out half-2/3rds of the unit in a turn, he uses his triumph to auto pass a Battleshock, then he heals back 80% of the damage I do in his turn.

last game was such a debacle (he sniped both my characters with spells on turns 1&2, one a 19 casting value and the other boxcars with primal dice) that Im just not interested in playing his gloomspite anymore

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Are you using Unleash Hell?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I wasn't doing much screening last time but he plays 30 Squigs. Whenever I try to shoot it I can wipe out half-2/3rds of the unit in a turn, he uses his triumph to auto pass a Battleshock, then he heals back 80% of the damage I do in his turn.

last game was such a debacle (he sniped both my characters with spells on turns 1&2, one a 19 casting value and the other boxcars with primal dice) that Im just not interested in playing his gloomspite anymore

I've only played against KO a couple of times, and never driven them myself, so this is probably going to come across as really basic. Know that I'm not being a wise-rear end.

Arkanauts come in blocks of 10 for 90 points. If you're not spending all your reinforcement points elsewhere, I would personally feel extremely comfortable dropping 180 points to act entirely as 20 ablative wounds that can string out about two linear feet across the board, and I'd still feel pretty good about doing it twice to buy a full two turns without squigs in my face. Since you're ranged, you don't even need to space them so that they're within pile-in distance from the front of your line, you can just shoot over 'em all day long. Even if the squigs hit your first unit and kill it to a man, you've bought time to bring the hammer down on them and smash the unit flat so that it won't be able to rally.

On that note, what are you using as your hammer? I know from painful experience KO have some great hero-killers, but I'm less familiar with their non-ship units.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

I've only played against KO a couple of times, and never driven them myself, so this is probably going to come across as really basic. Know that I'm not being a wise-rear end.

Arkanauts come in blocks of 10 for 90 points. If you're not spending all your reinforcement points elsewhere, I would personally feel extremely comfortable dropping 180 points to act entirely as 20 ablative wounds that can string out about two linear feet across the board, and I'd still feel pretty good about doing it twice to buy a full two turns without squigs in my face. Since you're ranged, you don't even need to space them so that they're within pile-in distance from the front of your line, you can just shoot over 'em all day long. Even if the squigs hit your first unit and kill it to a man, you've bought time to bring the hammer down on them and smash the unit flat so that it won't be able to rally.

On that note, what are you using as your hammer? I know from painful experience KO have some great hero-killers, but I'm less familiar with their non-ship units.

I was tinkering with a new list so my list was 10 arkanauts and two hammers: a frigate with 9 endrinriggers and an Endrinmaster and an Ironclad with 10 Thunderers and an Admiral

I think I'm going to go to my old list I was much more successful with, which was:

Admiral
Chemist
Endrinmaster
20x Arkanaut
10x Arkanaut
Ironclad
15x Thunderers
Gunhauler w/ the artifact where it can have 6 models embark
3x Endrinriggers

My issue is since he has Skagrot who can center the moon, I end up eating 2-3 run and charges from halfway across the board. I can kill one of the units charging me, but the other 1-2 units makes contact, he dumps mortals on my boat boys (impact hits/squig Battleshocks), and I might as well concede if he gets the double turn

Feels like I need to just castle in the first turn behind my arkanauts and use the Gunhauler with Endrinriggers to kill Skagrot + that idiot that gives his squig herd mortals on 6s. That way he actually has to commit something to protecting his back line

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 5, 2024

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/05/dawnbringers-book-v-lets-you-smash-grand-fortresses-to-rubble-in-team-based-siege-campaigns/

New article talking about the new team mini-campaign (?) mode from the next book, Strongpoint Assault. They say to run it for Matched Play events, but it also looks like just enough setup hassle to where I don’t know if it’d be worth running as a one-off, versus just playing regular matches…

The gameplay rules themselves look interesting. When playing as Defender, you have access to a pool of resource points to buy fortifications that that to be targeted and killed like regular models (Smash to Rubble only doing 5MW to these terrain features instead of instantly destroying them). Although, unless this mode turns out to be the next big thing, I am not buying more GW terrain just to have options available.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The aos chaos range is so cool now. I love the marauders.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JBP posted:

The aos chaos range is so cool now. I love the marauders.

I think once the Darkoath come out we are some Manticore Lords and a Chaos Spawn kit away from having a completely modern S2D range

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I think once the Darkoath come out we are some Manticore Lords and a Chaos Spawn kit away from having a completely modern S2D range

Other than these, there's a bunch of 8th edition WFB models that are getting pretty long in the tooth but still pass, barely. Lord on foot, Sorclord on foot, Chariots, and Warshrine.

However this is a luxury problem. The S2D range is by far the most modern range of any faction that wasn't introduced in AOS, and it's range is way huger than any of the post-AOS factions.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Eh, the style and detail has gotten even better, but I think a lot of those models are still mint. The foot lord is great and the sorcerer is great with a headswap.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's got to be at least 5 other chaos sorcerer models that games-workshop is selling, but they're in boxes that don't have "chaos sorcerer lord" written on them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Warhammer+ sorcerer is still available right? Because that model is actually really good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...army-of-renown/

A look into the new Croneseer Pariah rules.

And Krethusa's warscroll too for good measure.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/s28sfvWRnAUD7dMq.pdf

Age of Sigmar V3.0: Crone and the Girls.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/10/sunday-preview-the-kroot-are-on-the-prowl/

Zondara’s Gravebreakers goes up for pre-orders next weekend.

As does Rivals of the Mirrored City box with some of the older warbands.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just got the email from GW with the video… what did Sigmar lie about?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
https://www.warhammer-community.com...tent=&utm_term=

Short teaser video for what’s coming at Adepticon. Seems like there’s some dissension in the Stormcast ranks. Also, maybe this is just my anticipation playing tricks on me, but I hear some rat squeaks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's some high pitched squeak/squeal starting at 7 seconds. But the sprue for skaven leaked already, it's only a question of how many new models are they getting.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Lots of bells in the trailer, and those are a skaven thing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So what did he lie about?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm guessing 'Skaven aren't real'?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Judging from some of the rumors that Stormcast do actually have a finite number of lives and as they get closer to that number they get less controllable and more violent.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reddit says that Azyr isn’t safe from Chaos, that the Skaven have found a way in

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Sigmar lied, Stormcast died

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I feel it’s only a matter of time until Chaos Sigmarines

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nash posted:

I feel it’s only a matter of time until Chaos Sigmarines

Ligmarines

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Devoted of Ligma

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Professor Shark posted:

Reddit says that Azyr isn’t safe from Chaos, that the Skaven have found a way in

That could work, a Skaven invasion of Azyr. Honestly I am surprised Azyr hasn’t seen action sooner.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Chaos stormcast don't really fit in, we already have plenty of beefy chaos warriors, like maybe one as a special character but I don't see a unit if them.
The rumor is a flagellant type stormcast on their last life is coming with 4th, so I'm guessing it's Stormcast aren't really immortal. I'm not really clear on how long it's been since the realm gate wars though, so how old are the oldest stormcast right now?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Eternus is kind of a chaos stormcast already isn't he?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Professor Shark posted:

I saw that, but that's Hammerhal in the video and the full teaser is Sigmar Lied, there's always a price.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

neaden posted:

Chaos stormcast don't really fit in, we already have plenty of beefy chaos warriors, like maybe one as a special character but I don't see a unit if them.
The rumor is a flagellant type stormcast on their last life is coming with 4th, so I'm guessing it's Stormcast aren't really immortal. I'm not really clear on how long it's been since the realm gate wars though, so how old are the oldest stormcast right now?

We don’t have a solid timeframe but it’s generally estimated to have been roughly 110 years from the Realmgate Wars to the Era of the Beast.

The Stormcasts also trained and prepared for years prior to the start of the Realmgate Wars though very few had to be reforged during that time.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 11, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's going to be hilarious if Eshin infiltrators just kinda stumbled into Sigmar's forbidden closet of mystery and find out some dire secrets, a la Nagash.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Eternus is kind of a chaos stormcast already isn't he?

Yeah Be'lakor used the bound lightning spirits of several stormcast to turn Eternus into a Chaos Stormcast, but hes more of a one-off thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

There's got to be at least 5 other chaos sorcerer models that games-workshop is selling, but they're in boxes that don't have "chaos sorcerer lord" written on them.

Yeah, absolutely. Like every other chaos player, I have the underworld set, Khagra's Ravagers, not for their janky mini-unit AoS incarnation, but as a Sorcerer and 3 aspiring/exalted champions or potentially even Chaos Lords.