Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SkyeAuroline posted:

The Breaker and Railgun combo was one of the few that could actually keep up at higher difficulties, and just making it worse does nothing to make anything else worth using.

Youve completely undercut your own point.

If the breaker/railgun combo is the only thing that can keep up at higher difficulties, then nerfing them makes every other weapon significantly more viable by your own logic, since it lowers the difficulty cap at which you can "keep up" to one where those other weapons are viable picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God, it's crazy how badly steam hosed their comments system by introducing flair for trolls. The comments on the patchnotes update are just pathetic.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sucks to hear that the railgun sucks now unless you use it the way that 90% of the people itt have been saying you should

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Both Discord and Reddit are full of this sky-is-falling nonsense, the shield and Railgun are the only way to possibly beat Helldives. It's insane and insane all at once.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Also at one point I managed to get a Charger completely pacified while standing directly above him with a clear angle on his exposed leg joints and I'm pretty sure anyone who claims they are a viable target is someone who is unknowingly exploiting the animation bug that lets shots ignore leg armor like it's been stripped because they ate several magazines without flinching.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

turn off the TV posted:

sucks to hear that the railgun sucks now unless you use it the way that 90% of the people itt have been saying you should

The patch notes say "Decreased armor penetration in Safe Mode, decreased damage against durable enemy parts" so it's hard to tell if that's worse armor pen in safe mode as well as decreased damage against durable parts across the board? If the changes only affected safe mode usage then yeah that's not so bad but it read to me like the weakspot damage is down across the board.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Dinosaurs! posted:

The railgun felt appropriately powerful for needing to wait until level 20 to unlock. I feel like the bigger need, for bugs at least, was to do something about chargers. I play on PS5 and there’s no way I’m able to aim for the 10mm of exposed skin at its leg joint like that one goon was talking about a couple days ago. Getting headshots on bots is also not a given. I appreciate the PC players who can, but a lot of these changes feel like the result of crossplay discrepancies.

I can only take one primary gun. Buff those to make more of them appealing.

A level 20 unlock isn't supposed to invalidate level 1-19 unlocks though? They're not supposed to be straight improvements, they're supposed to just be new options.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What is ”safe mode” with rail guns? Is there a fire mode switch somewhere? Also why some players have flashlights, how do they get those?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

raverrn posted:

Both Discord and Reddit are full of this sky-is-falling nonsense, the shield and Railgun are the only way to possibly beat Helldives. It's insane and insane all at once.

Oh no the devs kicked a crutch out and now the hardest difficulty is really hard, how do they not know the basics of game design (Rule 1: I'm supposed to win)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The autocannon is my favorite weapon and if they want to get everything to that level that sounds great

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Stop playing in higher difficulties then?
Seriously, if your strategy to being able to play a higher difficulties was 'play with weapons A and B' it means there was an issue somewhere. You are supposed to pick higher difficulties if your knowledge of the game, player skills and and teamwork with your mates is good enough, it shouldn't depend of what equipment you have unlocked.

The devs nerfing the Breaker/Railgun are indirectly saying to the community "no, the floor skill to play at this difficulty is THIS high'.

The only issue I have with all this is that you *need* to play at the higher difficulties to grind for the last sample type.

The super samples are available at 7 which is pretty chill

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ihmemies posted:

What is ”safe mode” with rail guns? Is there a fire mode switch somewhere? Also why some players have flashlights, how do they get those?
Hold R(reload button) and you can switch between safe/unsafe mode with left/right click.
Safe mode is the default, unsafe mode lets you charge further for more damage but can kill you if you charge too long.

Many weapons have alternate firing modes like this.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Piell posted:

The autocannon is my favorite weapon and if they want to get everything to that level that sounds great

Fully agreed! I love the autocannon. Suitably powerful against its intended targets, able to handle harder targets with good aim or positioning, doesn't strictly require team loading to be viable but still benefits from it if you really need that sustained fire rate, and as a bonus it's very nice looking and sounding. I'd be very happy to see it as the baseline for support weapon balancing.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ihmemies posted:

Holding 'R' on pc lets you see the different fire modes on guns, and if a gun has a scope or flash light you can change the zoom level and flash light mode. You can only benefit from the scope zoom when you use the first person aim mode.

e: I'm really glad they gave the Breaker ammo increase to the Slugger as well, but didn't reduce the max ammo. That's now the best shotgun IMO, and the pistol smg deals with light enemy mobs.

On top of that, the improved flamethrower is now great for killing charger sized enemies. Safe Railgun shots will just bounce off their legs, and it takes at least 3 Unsafe shots to break leg armour, so Railgun isn't really a teamwork gun anymore unless it's 2 people working on the same limb.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 6, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the laser canon kills chargers now faster than you could with the railgun before

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Plenty of the non-meta guns are perfectly viable and fine as long as you're not a loving wiener whose definition of "viable" is "universally powerful against anything and everything".

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i want to try out the laser cannon now, sounds fun

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i want to try out the laser cannon now, sounds fun

it actually does zero damage

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

It seems very undemocratic to me that you shouldn't kill every bug you see, but I'm glad to pick up some pointers from the thread. I'm mostly coming in with a DRG mindset, so my instinct is to clear the map. But holy poo poo there is a lot of bugs and they kill you fast if they get close. I'm not even that high on difficulty yet and I'm struggling to kite anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

turn off the TV posted:

the laser canon kills chargers now faster than you could with the railgun before

Where are you aiming with the laser cannon?

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
EATs stay winning

Tried them out again last night since I hadn't played with them in a while and they're great on higher difficulties. No need to worry about running back to find a weapon if you die, blows the armor off whatever it hits, and good for sharing / teamwork.

The breaker nerf seems pretty reasonable to me. More recoil and a few less bullets seems totally fine to bring it more inline without making it useless. Hopefully they start adding in more guns now (especially sidearms) instead of obsessing about getting everything perfectly balanced.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aeble posted:

It seems very undemocratic to me that you shouldn't kill every bug you see, but I'm glad to pick up some pointers from the thread. I'm mostly coming in with a DRG mindset, so my instinct is to clear the map. But holy poo poo there is a lot of bugs and they kill you fast if they get close. I'm not even that high on difficulty yet and I'm struggling to kite anything.

You can stay and fight you just need to know when. Spawners on a map continually pump out enemies that turn into patrols so if you stand still and dig in and fight for minutes at a time you're getting new patrols coming up to you and calling in more reinforcements which can also call in reinforcements and it really can snowball. If you've cleared out a part of a map including spawners and are getting mobbed you can always stay in place and fight until they stop coming but you have to know when things are getting too out of hand and need to retreat.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I just did my first lil baby boy dive and I gotta say, those horns kicking in during the drop are maybe one of the most hype inducing moments in a game lately.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nerfing the breaker is fine, what it is bizarre is only buffing other shotguns, so ARs, DMR, the counter sniper, and laser rifle are even less worthwhile in comparison to any shotgun.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Nordick posted:

Plenty of the non-meta guns are perfectly viable and fine as long as you're not a loving wiener whose definition of "viable" is "universally powerful against anything and everything".

My baseline for what makes a gun viable is if it is fun to use, which doesn’t necessarily mean it’s easy to kill things with. Like the arc thrower I find fun even though I wasn’t very effective with it because it looks and sounds cool and also has the added benefit of zapping your teammates to death. But I am also not min maxing and get enjoyment out of just killing and blowing things up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Piell posted:

Where are you aiming with the laser cannon?

i don't know. the first one i fought with it died really quickly and then the second one took three full charges and killed me four times before i gave up and called in a mininuke

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fifteen of Many posted:

I just did my first lil baby boy dive and I gotta say, those horns kicking in during the drop are maybe one of the most hype inducing moments in a game lately.

Yeah it's a good theme, the entire soundtrack fits real well. The extraction theme kicking in at the tail end of a tough mission always gets me going.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Lmao at everyone whining about a minor increase in recoil that's meaningless since you should be using it on semi auto and losing 3 rounds per mag on the breaker.

Oh no, it still only has basically twice the damage per mag of a liberator, it's worthless.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Honestly the breaker nerf doesn't sound bad at all. I basically never ran out of ammo for it so decreasing mag size from 16 to 13 is fine and the only time I ever used full auto with it was when I was surrounded by hunter to the point of not being able to move or when I was way too close to a charger, after stripping leg armor, or when a brood mother or stalker was right on top of me. In all other instances of using the breaker I was quickly taking aim for songle shots and that'll still be the case now.

All the weapon buffs sound good and fine, I hope another round of slight buffs comes oit for the rifles, and uping handling on a couple of weapons so they don't turn and aim extra slow.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

raverrn posted:

I am currently reading the discussion in the multiplayer goon discord of two people effectively saying this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Infidelicious posted:

Lmao at everyone whining about a minor increase in recoil that's meaningless since you should be using it on semi auto and losing 3 rounds per mag on the breaker.

Oh no, it still only has basically twice the damage per mag of a liberator, it's worthless.

the increased recoil makes the breaker better because it's more fun to use

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dinosaurs! posted:

The railgun felt appropriately powerful for needing to wait until level 20 to unlock. I feel like the bigger need, for bugs at least, was to do something about chargers. I play on PS5 and there’s no way I’m able to aim for the 10mm of exposed skin at its leg joint like that one goon was talking about a couple days ago. Getting headshots on bots is also not a given. I appreciate the PC players who can, but a lot of these changes feel like the result of crossplay discrepancies.

I can only take one primary gun. Buff those to make more of them appealing.

With the rail gun you just straight up shot the armoured plate of the leg, not the joint, and it popped off after two hits revealing their tender drumstick. Now you have to use unsafe mode and charge your shot.

turn off the TV posted:

i don't know. the first one i fought with it died really quickly and then the second one took three full charges and killed me four times before i gave up and called in a mininuke

There's a bug where after some charge animations, for a brief period, their leg armour doesn't work and any shot goes straight through. I tried the laser cannon on a stuck charger and it bounced off all the plates.

E: chargers need to have their ice skating fixed and how they can do 180s near instantly.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 6, 2024

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nerfing the breaker is fine, what it is bizarre is only buffing other shotguns, so ARs, DMR, the counter sniper, and laser rifle are even less worthwhile in comparison to any shotgun.

Well they did say this was just the first round of balance passes on the current kit, so I assume they went "lets start with the current 'meta' kit and the worst offenders and work our way out from there"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Icedude posted:

Well they did say this was just the first round of balance passes on the current kit, so I assume they went "lets start with the current 'meta' kit and the worst offenders and work our way out from there"

Truly the issue with the meta was not enough people using the other shotguns

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eediot Jedi posted:

There's a bug where after some charge animations, for a brief period, their leg armour doesn't work and any shot goes straight through. I tried the laser cannon on a stuck charger and it bounced off all the plates.

i was shooting it in the head

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Apparently the laser cannon initially bounces off charger armor but eventually burns a hole through it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm OK with the meta being nerfed because it was too strong, but after playing post-patch heavy armor still seems to do jack poo poo and the non-breaker shotguns barely tickle.

Also without strong railguns the orbital laser is going to be even more mandatory for handling titans, the big bomb needs a radius buff or some other strategem needs to be altered if Arrowhead doesn't want the same problem again but worse.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 6, 2024

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Darox posted:

Also at one point I managed to get a Charger completely pacified while standing directly above him with a clear angle on his exposed leg joints and I'm pretty sure anyone who claims they are a viable target is someone who is unknowingly exploiting the animation bug that lets shots ignore leg armor like it's been stripped because they ate several magazines without flinching.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I had the charger stuck on a rock even and could shoot at its sides but only the butt part wouldn't deflect my shots.

Luckily the buffed flamethrower, which I thought was already pretty good before, can now cook them in seconds if you focus on one leg. :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm OK with the meta being nerfed because it was too strong, but after playing post-patch heavy armor still seems to do jack poo poo and the non-breaker shotguns barely tickle.
slugger was literally already very good against bots and reasonably good against bugs before this patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fifteen of Many posted:

It's really great how well the music in this game channels the feel of the Starship Troopers soundtrack without quite directly ripping it off. The drop music is SO close to Klendathu Drop, just a bit "brighter" and more triumphant (which is fitting since the Klendathu attack was a loving disaster).

Bloopsy posted:

My baseline for what makes a gun viable is if it is fun to use, which doesn’t necessarily mean it’s easy to kill things with. Like the arc thrower I find fun even though I wasn’t very effective with it because it looks and sounds cool and also has the added benefit of zapping your teammates to death. But I am also not min maxing and get enjoyment out of just killing and blowing things up.

:yeah:

I adore the recoilless rifle. Popping those big bloated spitter bugs with it like giant pimples is very very satisfying.