Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

What is wrong with JOE?!

he is very very old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nichael posted:

https://x.com/dkearnsjr/status/1765070508780085497?s=20

wow schiff will surely be effective as president trump calls him senator poo poo on truth

They're not even trying to pretend to care about anything past team sport poo poo

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Mola Yam posted:

remember that time the drugs hit mid-speech and his eyes bugged out and he lunged forward

I never watched any of Biden's speech, which one was this?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I look forward to California dealing with a Senator who can't make votes from jail

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nichael posted:

https://x.com/dkearnsjr/status/1765070508780085497?s=20

wow schiff will surely be effective as president trump calls him senator poo poo on truth

Cleveland born & raised.. Live in SoCal.. Diehard Browns fan 🏈
HUGE DOG LOVER 🐕 Brutally frank.. Sarcastic AF! ..
#SendTrumpToPrison 🤨 #FBR 🌊 IFB 💯%

Absolute sicko

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I love getting attached to a local politician of a locale I don't live in

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

he is very very old

Eight years ago he was like 100 times more "with it", he seems to have declined pretty rapidly

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What exactly is "snark" in these people's minds

They're constantly attributing snark and sarcasm etc to themselves but I never see them actually say anything you could describe that way

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Eight years ago he was like 100 times more "with it", he seems to have declined pretty rapidly

yeah that is how aging works sometimes

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

loquacius posted:

They're constantly attributing snark and sarcasm etc to themselves but I never see them actually say anything you could describe that way

The sort of dialogue you find in Disney shows made for tweens and Joss Whedon media, accompanied by a laugh track

A kind of banal rudeness that demonstrates their superiority to everyone around them

Their friends saying "She's the funny one of our group"

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Thoguh posted:

Okay, now I’m excited for the state of the union.

I feel like it's going to be boring and the liberals will take Biden not literally making GBS threads himself on stage as a major victory

Of course I said that before his impromptu press conference a couple weeks ago and was proven wrong in hilarious fashion, so

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Being mean and insulting but you're not allowed to get mad at me

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

VoicesCanBe posted:

I feel like it's going to be boring and the liberals will take Biden not literally making GBS threads himself on stage as a major victory

Of course I said that before his impromptu press conference a couple weeks ago and was proven wrong in hilarious fashion, so

thats the thing though even with his juice his decline is notable

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're gonna have to go full Bruce Willis at some point and just give him an earpiece so someone can tell him what to say live

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Okay, now I’m excited for the state of the union.

Kamala is going to do it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't get out to the primary vote yesterday but I am still proud that my MN house district voted almost 39% Uncommitted.

Also 61A, home of CSPAM Mascot Will Stancil, voted 34% Uncommitted, which I assume bodes well for his state house campaign

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They're gonna have to go full Bruce Willis at some point and just give him an earpiece so someone can tell him what to say live

they are negotiating with Elon to install a Neuralink in Biden's brain to operate him remotely

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

"laughing uncontrollably" "from a perspective of state of the unions this is a very stately union" "we must come together for togethers sake in coming together laughing uncontrollably

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Speaking of Stancil, here's how you do a Minnesota Nice hitpiece

https://minnesotareformer.com/2024/03/01/what-are-the-nazis-doing-in-a-south-minneapolis-legislative-race/

quote:

What are the Nazis doing in a south Minneapolis legislative race?
J. Patrick Coolican

Katie Jones is from a small town in rural Indiana. She studied soil and water engineering at Purdue University before taking her engineering skills into the energy conservation field with the Center for Energy and Environment here. She’s worked on transportation and climate change policy with her local lawmaker, Rep. Frank Hornstein, who’s made an effort to empower the next generation of women leaders in the district, Jones told me this week.

When Hornstein let her know he was retiring, Jones was eager to run in the south Minneapolis District 61A race, bringing her background in climate and energy policy but also focusing on local issues like empty storefronts in Uptown and helping local businesses get through road reconstruction season intact.

So imagine her shock and horror when she started getting harassed on Twitter almost immediately. It came from the far right — literal Nazis, in fact. She was doxxed and received an anonymous threat, with images of Jones with her mouth taped shut. It got so bad she decided to all but leave what would otherwise be an important platform for connecting with the district and fundraising.

“In the world of right-wing extremists, they try to create fear. We’re not giving into that fear,” she told me. “We’re taking appropriate measures, but we’re not changing day to day because I don’t want to live in fear — that’s not how I wanna live my life.”

Why did Nazis take an interest in Katie Jones and a south Minneapolis legislative race?

Bit of a long story, but I’ll try to be brief: If you’re a normal person, you probably didn’t notice that there was a brief flurry of online activity on the right a few weeks ago in which they started doubting the safety of air travel because of airlines’ racial diversity initiatives.

Charlie Kirk, the founder of Turning Point USA, which has more than 10 million followers across its social media accounts, said, “I’m sorry, if I see a Black pilot, I’m going to be like, ‘Boy, I hope he’s qualified,’” Kirk said.

In reality, commercial airline travel has never been safer, and it wasn’t so long ago that a statement like Kirk’s would be a career-ender.

Instead, it was just another sortie in the ongoing battle on the right — disguised as a fight against diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives — to return America to a white, male, Christian hierarchy.

Enter Will Stancil, a liberal online pugilist who feels duty-bound — or perhaps he’s just a masochist — to take the fight to the far right.

What began as a posting campaign against the likes of Kirk and his ilk attracted much darker forces. First the purveyors of phony race “science” showed up to fight Stancil on Twitter with their 19th century ideas dressed up in 21st century charts.

Then full-on Nazis came on the scene. They tried to break into Stancil’s accounts, doxxed him and accused him of rape.

When Hornstein announced he was retiring from the Legislature, Stancil, who is also a research fellow at the University of Minnesota and lives in the district, launched a campaign for the seat. (I recently wrote a profile of Stancil before Hornstein’s announcement and had no idea he had electoral ambitions.)

Naturally, the Nazis have sought to make trouble for Stancil. They’ve done it by pretending they are Stancil supporters and going after Jones in an obvious attempt to associate Stancil with Nazism and white supremacy.

“He’s been swinging a bat at the hornets’ nest of right-wing Twitter. And the hornets are out,” Jones told me.

Brandon Schorsch, who organizes against hate movements for Jewish Community Action, called the episode “absolutely scary” because these online meme campaigns can easily jump into the real world, especially given the American tolerance for guns. From the Tree of Life murders in Pittsburgh to the Charleston church massacre, from El Paso to Buffalo, we’ve witnessed a barrage of hate crimes in recent years.

Stancil isn’t responsible for the behavior of Nazis, but still he said he feels awful about what’s happened. He started blocking the Nazis from his Twitter feed, and they seem to have moved on from Jones.

His work at the U focuses on school and housing segregation, so he’d bring that expertise to the Legislature, while also working on economic development, and filling in the details of Minnesota’s new law to decarbonize the electric grid by 2050.

But Stancil isn’t backing down from his fight with the far right.

Dropping out of the race, as some have suggested, would merely embolden the far right as it looks for its next target.

“You can’t pretend the far-right extremism in the country isn’t happening,” Stancil said. “You need to have an answer to that, unfortunately, if nothing else for the health and safety of people in the district.”

Voters of 61A will have to decide what kind of lawmaker they want to represent them. Also running: Isabel Rolfes, a legislative aide; and Dylan McMahon, until recently the chair of the local DFL Party unit.

What’s tragic about all this is that Hornstein is one of the great Jewish Minnesota peace and justice advocates of our time. He’s the son of Holocaust survivors and married to a prominent rabbi. And while Hornstein is a Wellstone progressive all the way, he’s also known for his friendly relationships with everyone at the Capitol, a joyous presence amid the increasing polarization.

When I talked to Hornstein, who isn’t on Twitter but was briefed on the situation, he sounded stunned.

“Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought Nazis would be involved in a state legislative race in Minneapolis.”

I understand his disbelief, but we can’t be too surprised given the country’s history of ideologies that seek to concentrate all power in white Christian men.

Little Falls’ own Charles Lindbergh received the Service Cross of the German Eagle from Hermann Goering on behalf of the fuhrer just a year before Hitler marched into Poland.

“Our civilization depends on a Western wall of race and arms which can hold back … the infiltration of inferior blood,” he wrote.

Lindbergh lost the battle of ideas to Franklin Roosevelt, who helped save the country and indeed the world from fascistic ideology.

And now we are engaged in a similar battle, as another right-wing authoritarian again seeks office, promising to prosecute his enemies and round up immigrants.

Update: Molly Burns-Hansen, who is campaign manager for Isabel Rolfes, says the Nazis have moved on to Rolfes, attacking her based on gender, race and sexual orientation. The campaign has been forced to use campaign funds for security measures at public events.

Learn more about online extremism at American University’s Polarization & Extremism Research & Innovation Lab.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

Also 61A, home of CSPAM Mascot Will Stancil, voted 34% Uncommitted, which I assume bodes well for his state house campaign

WILLMENTUM!!!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

nuke the Midwest

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Most sane countries would have. America? gently caress no, let's the procedure goes on for 3 years of the most boring procedural poo poo ever.

Literally dragging out every issue and doing as little as possible so they can have it as an electoral campaign point this year. If Democrats solved problems, they'd have to campaign on accomplishments instead of unfulfilled promises, and accomplishing things sounds like a lot of work!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Stancil has secured the critical Azov Battalion endorsement

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ot is because will is a nazi op

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
In the future after the votepocalypse. Democracy emerges victorious. Voting becomes mandatory. All citizens will be required to line up every 4 years to press the vote button in order to "save democracy". No one knows what that means anymore, but those who refuse to press the button are hunted down and put into voter education camps. Classes mostly consist of land acknowledgments and DEI training.

Roving bands of voter scolders enforce bipartisan unity, maintain the voting button, and hunt down rogue leftists critical of the voting regime.

Democracy and the rule of law endures triumphantly and brings about the end of history with a single button that maintains the world.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

HallelujahLee posted:

thats the thing though even with his juice his decline is notable

Well, supposing they put him on Donepezil and rivastigmine, maybe memantine, don't they all have pretty substantial side effects? I think I remember from the last time this came up that unusual bleeding and bruising, as well as twitching and clumsiness are somewhat common on that mix of drugs.

Kudos to whoever pointed out that the reason Mayor Pete drank water by the litre on the podium was probably because he was given a tonne of anti anxiety medication on the day of speeches and debates, which has the effect of producing dry mouth almost universally at high doses.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m confused, what at the federal level during the Biden admin has been done for trans rights other than allowing schools to limit sports participation?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Well, supposing they put him on Donepezil and rivastigmine, maybe memantine, don't they all have pretty substantial side effects? I think I remember from the last time this came up that unusual bleeding and bruising, as well as twitching and clumsiness are somewhat common on that mix of drugs.

Kudos to whoever pointed out that the reason Mayor Pete drank water by the litre on the podium was probably because he was given a tonne of anti anxiety medication on the day of speeches and debates, which has the effect of producing dry mouth almost universally at high doses.

yeah i dont know the drugs but i recall hes had bloodshot eyes a few times before like they're about to explode

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Kamala on a desert island, standing next to her injured friend laying on the ground next to a coconut

"You didn't just fall out of a coconut tree, you exist in the context of all that came before"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

Kamala on a desert island, standing next to her injured friend laying on the ground next to a coconut

"You didn't just fall out of a coconut tree, you exist in the context of all that came before"

we didn't fall and land out of coconut tree, coconut fell out and landed on us!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Has anyone checked if the Biden robot from the Disney presidents ride is still there?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the democrats have hired Jeff Dunham and his crotchety puppet Walter to act as a body double for Joe Biden

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

docbeard posted:

Has anyone checked if the Biden robot from the Disney presidents ride is still there?

It's an improvement IMO

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

just remembered they hastily repurposed the Hillary animatronic into Trump and lol'ed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nonsense posted:

I look forward to California dealing with a Senator who can't make votes from jail

It Trump promises to put Schiff in jail he might actually earn my vote.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Fetterman pulled support for an LGBTQ center in PA after libs of tiktok doxxed them lol

https://twitter.com/StephenJ_Caruso/status/1765386702409933189

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's an improvement IMO

It still has the spark of life in it's eyes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Fetterman pulled support for an LGBTQ center in PA after libs of tiktok doxxed them lol

https://twitter.com/StephenJ_Caruso/status/1765386702409933189

🤔

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

now that she's out of the wrong party's primary, why aren't the dems getting nikki haley ready to replace biden on the ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This might be the first SotU I’m actually excited to watch. How the gently caress is he going to make it a whole hour?