Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BiggerBoat posted:

This time they weren't. I'm a bit nervous about 2024 though.
I'm not, because:

1) Trump won't be in charge of the federal goverment on 1/6/2025 the way he was in 2021. The insurrection only got as far as it did because the president did everything he could to strip the capitol of security and reinforcements. I doubt Biden will tell his DHS secretary to stand down his forces and keep the national guards away from the site the way Trump did.
2) The Biden justice department came down hard on J6 participants. Thousands of arrests, more than 500 convictions, lots of hard prison time, and three years they're still identifying and picking up suspects. This has taken a lot of steam out of the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys and other would-be freikorps militia groups, as their members are either in jail or worried that the person next to them is an FBI informer, and no one seems to be in any hurry to replace them. It's the same reason we saw barely a ripple of right-wing agitation around Trump's various arrests and indictments.

There's lots of things to worry about, but IMHO a more successful restaging of January 6 isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah for this election I'm not worried about Jan 6th 2, insurrection boogaloo. Any sort of organized activity that takes place now half the people talking about attending will be screaming about glowies and telling everyone else not to attend.

Now gun toting assholes "observing" elections and being extremely concerned about anyone darker than a paper bag? That I expect.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Swiped from another thread but the last couple of pages have touched on performative patriotism and I see a LOT of this poo poo where I live

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The funny thing is that I'm not "offended" I just think that person is a stupid gently caress, and I am undoubtedly correct.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
A lot of people are absurdly proud to wear their imbecility on their sleeve. And at this point, I was going to segue back to right-wing media and its audience, but lo and behold, I'm already there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Swiped from another thread but the last couple of pages have touched on performative patriotism and I see a LOT of this poo poo where I live

State of the loving kerning on that sticker.

So I guess that's another way he could offend someone :v:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Big beautiful Osama

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have the mother of one of my favorite students who wears a “how else can I offend you” style shirt.

It just makes me feel sorry for that student.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

skeleton warrior posted:

That would have been great, but that also would have involved shitfucks like Manchin and Sinema actually giving a poo poo about the future instead of deciding that there was a vast untapped voting base of centrists that needed their attention.

And of course now that they’re leaving, wanted by no one and unmourned by everyone, but we’re not going to have a Democratic senate in 2025 unless somehow Texas or Florida flip
yeah. and we'll do the same dance in a few years. Sigh.

To be accurate, I should have finished my thought and said "rammed through.... the night of the insurrection". While the sweat and piss was fresh on their bodies.

Once they went home and had a few drinks and poo poo, they were able to decompress and go "well I didn't DIE so yeah no biggie"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Professor Beetus posted:

The funny thing is that I'm not "offended" I just think that person is a stupid gently caress, and I am undoubtedly correct.

I don't know what you mean about being "offended", the decal I see is clearly asking how they can off end people. Not sure what that means exactly, maybe it's some new teenager lingo? It comes right after cani, which I'm not sure is a word but teenagers like to make stuff like that up all the time.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
They call that spacing the "un-cani valley."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

To be accurate, I should have finished my thought and said "rammed through.... the night of the insurrection". While the sweat and piss was fresh on their bodies.

Once they went home and had a few drinks and poo poo, they were able to decompress and go "well I didn't DIE so yeah no biggie"

Mitch McConnell (who was still Senate Majority Leader until January 20, 2021) prevented any sort of impeachment vote from coming to the floor what makes you think he would've allowed a vote on DC Statehood or anything else?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FilthyImp posted:

That only Ashli Babbitt and Chud McTazerballs died on their side, and the insistence that cops 'let them in' allows them to really downplay a lot about Jan 6. They'll treat Babbitt as a martyr when it serves their narrative in the moment (as they do for Waco and Ruby Ridge) but overall lean more on the inside job angle to try to absolve themselves of responsibility. After all, they weren't Burning and Looting Cities like Antifa were, they weren't setting police departments and federal buildings on fire or damaging police cars or defunding police departments. It just gives them layers of bad faith excuses to try to convince credulous Joe Rogan types that it's actually the Left that are the existential threat to the US, not the right.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This reminds me a lot of the Chaya Raichik interview in that these Karens sound so much dumber in real life when confronted about their ideology.
https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1764448437427142892?t=wQrhA4DyfZZYfrOVQA02kw&s=19

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Panfilo posted:

This reminds me a lot of the Chaya Raichik interview in that these Karens sound so much dumber in real life when confronted about their ideology.
https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1764448437427142892?t=wQrhA4DyfZZYfrOVQA02kw&s=19

"Let's just say..."

proceeds to very carefully not say anything

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

more "fake news" then, right?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Scott Pelfrey looks like he wants call them dumb assholes but can't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They pretty much just short-circuit once they are out of the RWM bubble

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mooseontheloose posted:

Scott Pelfrey looks like he wants call them dumb assholes but can't.

They got really salty about how the interview was edited. They try to make this point about how if they can't show the offending pages of Gender Queer on sixty minutes (and it is always the SAME TWO PAGES out of the entire graphic novel) then obviously it isn't suitable for children.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Panfilo posted:

They got really salty about how the interview was edited. They try to make this point about how if they can't show the offending pages of Gender Queer on sixty minutes (and it is always the SAME TWO PAGES out of the entire graphic novel) then obviously it isn't suitable for children.

Recently I wondered where these "think of the children" people were when Titanic came out (a PG-13 movie with breasts in it, the horror), but then I realized that I was falling for their schtick. This isn't about protecting innocence or anything, it's just freaking out at any mainstream acceptance of queer people, hence all the pearl-clutching over a drawn butt cheek. They're scared of Gender Queer's very existence but have manufactured scandal to justify it and it sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Recently I wondered where these "think of the children" people were when Titanic came out (a PG-13 movie with breasts in it, the horror), but then I realized that I was falling for their schtick. This isn't about protecting innocence or anything, it's just freaking out at any mainstream acceptance of queer people, hence all the pearl-clutching over a drawn butt cheek. They're scared of Gender Queer's very existence but have manufactured scandal to justify it and it sucks.

These types of people do freak out about nudity and sex in media though

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Their laser focus is to emphasize that books like Gender Queer are being shown to elementary school kids and rebuking the 'lie' that leftists claim is not happening. They really have to focus on the most outrageous scenario, like a hypothetical Drag Queen reading to Kindergarteners about how to eat rear end or something.

In terms of controversial movies honestly I think Romeo and Juliet is a better example, which was shown in schools often and not only had boobs but I later learned they were underage boobs, with zero outrage by Moms for Liberty apparently.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Panfilo posted:

Their laser focus is to emphasize that books like Gender Queer are being shown to elementary school kids and rebuking the 'lie' that leftists claim is not happening. They really have to focus on the most outrageous scenario, like a hypothetical Drag Queen reading to Kindergarteners about how to eat rear end or something.

In terms of controversial movies honestly I think Romeo and Juliet is a better example, which was shown in schools often and not only had boobs but I later learned they were underage boobs, with zero outrage by Moms for Liberty apparently.

It was made back when Rock Stars made hit songs about loving 14 year olds. A more innocent and pure time, unlike the degeneracy of today.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Remarkable, having both the inability to defend the slightest amount of pushback on your bullshit from a journalist as the head of this organization and the confidence to think you can go on 60 Minutes like that and not get railroaded. They have been so completely and thoroughly convinced that deflection and paper-thin cherry-picking always works because they're really not used to being pinned down and made to answer for anything in any argument. I hate how effective that is in letting them think they're never wrong because a Serious Interview is about one of the only spaces where a conservative won't just walk away or out-shout someone good at challenging them

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 5, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Remarkable, having both the inability to defend the slightest amount of pushback on your bullshit from a journalist as the head of this organization and the confidence to think you can go on 60 Minutes like that and not get railroaded. They have been so completely and thoroughly convinced that deflection and paper-thin cherry-picking always works because they're really not used to being pinned down and made to answer for anything in any argument

Given the pure gormlessness of so many journalists I wouldn't fault them for the assumption, but I doubt they thought that deeply about it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

gently caress, Sixteen Candles shows breasts and it's PG. Granted, the PG-13 rating didn't exist when the movie released but nudity often didn't cause an R rating by itself.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

...! posted:

gently caress, Sixteen Candles shows breasts and it's PG. Granted, the PG-13 rating didn't exist when the movie released but nudity often didn't cause an R rating by itself.

The Clash of the Titans had that nude bathing scene and I think some other nudity and they'd show that to us constantly in elementary school on teacher hangover day.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They're a bit optimistic here, aren't they?
https://twitter.com/Travis_in_Flint/status/1765214600612491321?t=3SW9rARgGH2U52gc2T5ohw&s=19

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

There is no version of reality where Trump wins Hawaii

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel like that person may have a poor understanding of what a primary is

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mobby_6kl posted:

These types of people do freak out about nudity and sex in media though

Remember our collective societal freakout when we may have seen a little bit of Janet Jackson's titty?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

I feel like that person may have a poor understanding of what a primary is

Well he's from Flint, there is a nonzero chance his brain is damaged by lead-tainted water.

PT6A posted:

Remember our collective societal freakout when we may have seen a little bit of Janet Jackson's titty?

Imagine if this had happened in the 2010s when HDTV was more ubiquitous. People would still be freaking out about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
America: where violence that would result in R ratings at the movie theater is prime time TV material, but if you so much as almost glimpse a nipple, all hell breaks loose

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Open world remorseless violent crime and carjacking simulator pulled from stores after modders discover a hidden deleted scene where the main character has sex with his girlfriend.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

OneEightHundred posted:

Open world remorseless violent crime and carjacking simulator pulled from stores after modders discover a hidden deleted scene where the main character has sex with his girlfriend.

Those were different times. Now that we have marketplaces like Steam which have freed themselves from strictly relying on the ESRB, we now know that the average American's ideal game appears to be a match-three game with titties in it, if the "New & Trending" tab is a reliable sample.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And thus we have cycled back to the games found in Korean bars in the 90s, truly the Circle of Life.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Conservatives: "We can't have a DA hire her boyfriend! Why she's getting maybe $1000 in trips and dinners!"

Meanwhile Trump: "Install my daughter in law into this no-work 7 figure salary position so that she can direct all the funds to me and no one else! Also, oust the previous holder because I don't like her dad."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Murgos posted:

Conservatives: "We can't have a DA hire her boyfriend! Why she's getting maybe $1000 in trips and dinners!"

Meanwhile Trump: "Install my daughter in law into this no-work 7 figure salary position so that she can direct all the funds to me and no one else! Also, oust the previous holder because I don't like her dad."
“Also my son is law is going to take on the most sensitive international political issue in Israeli-ME relations”

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Murgos posted:

But he wasn't, as far as we know, having sex with her.
Not that he didnt try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

OgNar posted:

But he wasn't, as far as we know, having sex with her.
Not that he didnt try.
If Ivanka Trump decides she has a reason to spite her father's legacy on her deathbed I bet we'll get to learn some very interesting things about when she was a teenager

Angry_Ed posted:

Well he's from Flint, there is a nonzero chance his brain is damaged by lead-tainted water.
It just occurred to me that Republican politicians probably know lead-damaged brains swing more conservative and if they're intentionally not doing anything about it for that reason gently caress that's evil