Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Mister Speaker posted:

they "can get it cheaper somewhere else"

ooh, I hate this one so much. then why are you talking to me, fuckass? go to your mysterious fabled other place where you can allegedly get it cheaper and stop wasting my time :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Buy an expensive office chair" they said "it will last forever" they said "it's easy to replace a broken gas cylinder" they said "watch this video on how easy it is" they said.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DontMockMySmock posted:

ooh, I hate this one so much. then why are you talking to me, fuckass? go to your mysterious fabled other place where you can allegedly get it cheaper and stop wasting my time :argh:

I'm just trying to help you out, I'm a charitable kind of person.

Five bucks or I walk

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all would love this guy (Scott Seiss, the IKEA employee saying everything he wishes he could say to customers) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KBcsdPhxA

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I sure do not love that guy.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Tiggum posted:

The thing I hate is when they make up narratives about the individual animals instead of just telling me facts about the species. I want to look at monkeys and hear interesting facts about monkeys, not watch an inferior version of Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp.

Same here. It's always super obvious that the narrative is coming mostly though editing and makes watching nature docs, which I love, feel like watching reality TV, which I hate.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Mar 5, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Projecting human qualities onto animals in general is a peeve of mine! These are animals, not people, and this is real life, not a Disney movie. Stop it! Just let animals be animals. They think and act very differently than we do, and that's what makes them cool! Please just appreciate them on their own terms. They deserve better than that.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

DontMockMySmock posted:

I did this once because I was trying to upgrade my CPU but keep the same motherboard (looking for a 9900k) and the only one I could find locally was asking for more than a new 11900k and a new motherboard. I think 12th gen was coming out and 11th gen was liquidating so I could get a passable MB and an 11900k for like 850$ CDN and the guy was asking for 900$ CDN for just a (new, presumably) 9900k.

That was a stupid upgrade anyway and it's a good thing I never managed to find a 9900k for a decent price but even today I wonder what he based his price on and why he wouldn't budge.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Facebook groups that have a very specific purpose and then don't adhere to it, making it entirely just another group of a broad theme.

I'm part of a local town group where you post specifically only anonymous confessions. Well, that lasted about a week. Now it's just people complaining about drugs and the homeless and liberals, and posting loving memes.

I'm part of a vegan group where you specifically post pictures of ugly food you made. Started that way, now it's just people posting other peoples' foods, asking about vegan stuff, and posting loving memes.

I'm part of a movie group where we create shared universes based on very specific themes or characters from films. Now it's just random film talk and people posting loving memes.

I'm part of a group where you're supposed to post things that look like lovely memes but are actually diagrams from textbooks. Now it's just memes. It's just the opposite of what the group was created for.

Why even join a group if you're going to treat it like any of the literal millions of groups that are just for posting memes and talking about whatever the gently caress. Why join it?! Why even CREATE the group if you're going to just let it turn into absolute useless content aggregated garbage?

unrelated to all the other stuff I just complained about : What the gently caress is with people and tacos?! I feel like tacos have been part of my life my entire life and they've remained entirely unchanged, but as of a few years ago, people treat tacos like they're the greatest loving thing ever. Tinder profiles for some reason need to mention THEY LOOOOOVE TACOS! I have friends who I never see but on Tuesdays a local place has cheap tacos and it's like a loving EVENT. TACOS!!!!!!! TACOS!!!!! If I can't get someone to go hang out, I can bribe them with the promise that there will be tacos there and they'll fuckin react like offering a man dying of thirst a skein of water -- which, they would toss to the side if you offered them TACOS INSTEAD!!! TACOS!!!!!

What the gently caress is so great about tacos?! And what changed that created this weird cultural revolution surrounding tacos? Was there some new technology that made tacos better? Did ingredients for tacos become cheaper? You say "tacos" and people's fuckin eyes light up. I know I'm out of touch but what the gently caress is with tacos?

You even see it in movies and television. Someone will say, "Let's go to this thing." And the other person won't. Then they'll say "There'll be tacos..." and the other person wants to go. And the studio audience laughs and applauds. It's like it's referencing some kind of truth that's within us all. But it's not within me. I did not inherit the taco truth.

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Mar 6, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Silver Falcon posted:

Projecting human qualities onto animals in general is a peeve of mine! These are animals, not people, and this is real life, not a Disney movie. Stop it! Just let animals be animals. They think and act very differently than we do, and that's what makes them cool! Please just appreciate them on their own terms. They deserve better than that.

No they’re my friend and you can’t tell me otherwise

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

Why even join a group if you're going to treat it like any of the literal millions of groups that are just for posting memes and talking about whatever the gently caress. Why join it?! Why even CREATE the group if you're going to just let it turn into absolute useless content aggregated garbage?

People join the group for the stated reason, then they start posting there and get to recognise other posters and have conversations in the comments and start to forget that it's a group with a specific purpose and just think of it as the place where their online friends are and so they go "ooh, I bet my friends would like this, I'll show it to them" and will get really loving pissed off if you tell them that it's off-topic and shouldn't be there because they're just sharing a funny thing with their friends why are you being a dick about it?

Which is why you need fairly strict moderation from day one. If you don't, every group turns into the same group.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don’t use Facebook

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

DontMockMySmock posted:

Eh, lots of times people are asking way too much for something and its easy enough to say "hey I'd like to buy local but your price is out of line with what completed listings on ebay are showing".

Craigslist pet peeve: people writing "SOLD!" on an ad instead of loving deleting it. I've seen people deliberately go into their ad and put a strikethrough on the item they sold and write "sold" next to it. Or reupload the item photo with the word "sold" written across it. Its psychotic. Real serial killer poo poo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Silver Falcon posted:

Pathetic.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tiggum posted:

People join the group for the stated reason, then they start posting there and get to recognise other posters and have conversations in the comments and start to forget that it's a group with a specific purpose and just think of it as the place where their online friends are and so they go "ooh, I bet my friends would like this, I'll show it to them" and will get really loving pissed off if you tell them that it's off-topic and shouldn't be there because they're just sharing a funny thing with their friends why are you being a dick about it?

Which is why you need fairly strict moderation from day one. If you don't, every group turns into the same group.

Automatic excuse: "I'm X thing! Therefore everything I say, do, or post about is also X thing!"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's a natural community thing. Hate to say it, but Tiggum's right. Accept it or shut that down from the beginning.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Eh, lots of times people are asking way too much for something and its easy enough to say "hey I'd like to buy local but your price is out of line with what completed listings on ebay are showing".

then buy it on ebay and leave me alone, fucker. if i've priced it too high i'll find out when it doesn't sell, and i'll eventually lower the price; i don't need you and your opinion to be involved in this process. don't waste your and my time.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

then buy it on ebay and leave me alone, fucker. if i've priced it too high i'll find out when it doesn't sell, and i'll eventually lower the price; i don't need you and your opinion to be involved in this process. don't waste your and my time.
Your smock is overpriced and silly. $5?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

credburn posted:

taco stuff

I agree. Tacos are extremely mediocre, but people seem to go nuts for them. My daughter watches a cartoon where tacos is like their 'thing' and whole episodes revolve around going for tacos and how much they love them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That cartoon is correct

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Remember when "taco trucks on every corner" was intended to seem like a threat rather than a possible golden age? I remember.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It just sounds like being stalked by a food truck

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Still not seeing a problem.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who knows what forces determine which product will be the meme food of its era. Before that it was bacon. Tacos being cheap and low effort definitely helps.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tacos being cheap and low effort definitely helps.
How are tacos low effort? You've got to prepare all the ingredients and then everyone has to construct them and it's a whole big thing. Tacos are too much effort, honestly.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tiggum posted:

How are tacos low effort? You've got to prepare all the ingredients and then everyone has to construct them and it's a whole big thing. Tacos are too much effort, honestly.

All you have to prepare is the meat though, unless you're busting out the tortilla press and molcajete ofc

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Punkinhead posted:

All you have to prepare is the meat though, unless you're busting out the tortilla press and molcajete ofc

What absolute sicko eats tacos with only meat in them?!

You need to chop the tomatoes and onions too and make the guacamole!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You can buy that poo poo prepared at the store.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You can buy that poo poo prepared at the store.

Sure, if you don't care that it's mediocre at best.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Tacos can be great, and tacos can be low-effort, but they cannot be both at the same time (unless you pay someone to put in the effort, of course).

In sweden Taco-Friday has become a thing, but like everyone buys something that is no longer even officially labeled "guacamole style dip" that contains like 1.5% avocado. It is now named "tex mex dip" because they have a tiny amount of shame apparently.

Also we're sweden so some people put like bananas and pineapple in theirs. I'm so so sorry.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tiggum posted:

Sure, if you don't care that it's mediocre at best.

I mean, can't the same be said about any food? If you want to go all out and make burgers you can bake your own brioche bread and grind your own meat and caramelize onions and make proper mayo but I wouldn't say burgers aren't simple. I don't think having to roughly chop a few veggies and grate cheese make tacos a particularly complicated dish.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Who knows what forces determine which product will be the meme food of its era. Before that it was bacon. Tacos being cheap and low effort definitely helps.

Oh wow, you're right, I had forgotten how, before tacos, it was fuckin bacon people would lose their poo poo over. BACON! BACON! EVERYBODY BACON!!! Even just saying the word was a joke or... something. I was so disappointed when one of my favorite bands in the whole world announced their new album at a concert I had gone to see. The album is "bacon." Sigh. The titular song on the album is a lot of fun, though.

gently caress, that's right, bacon and now tacos. What the gently caress.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Phosphine posted:

Also we're sweden so some people put like bananas and pineapple in theirs. I'm so so sorry.

A little pineapple is fine if you're having tacos al pastor, Mexico's answer to doner kebab.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Was making everything "Flamin' Hot" a trend or is that evergreen?

There's a burrito with Flamin' Hot Cheetos in it at a place near me, it's so loving salty but delicious

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

Oh wow, you're right, I had forgotten how, before tacos, it was fuckin bacon people would lose their poo poo over. BACON! BACON! EVERYBODY BACON!!! Even just saying the word was a joke or... something. I was so disappointed when one of my favorite bands in the whole world announced their new album at a concert I had gone to see. The album is "bacon." Sigh. The titular song on the album is a lot of fun, though.

Just imagining the scene. The crowd goes silent and the band are like "And now, the title of our new band.... BACON!" Then credburn just loudly breaks the silence with "Oh, gently caress OFF!"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Was making everything "Flamin' Hot" a trend or is that evergreen?

There's a burrito with Flamin' Hot Cheetos in it at a place near me, it's so loving salty but delicious
First of all, it's red.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Just imagining the scene. The crowd goes silent and the band are like "And now, the title of our new band.... BACON!" Then credburn just loudly breaks the silence with "Oh, gently caress OFF!"

I'd be right there with him tbh

I remember reading a magazine article about the weird recent omnipresence of bacon, right at the start of the big cultural bacon-everything push. The phrase describing bacon covering a salad as "like a dark, meaty snow" has stuck with me for years

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

It's always something and has been for a long time. Since 2000 bacon, superfoods, chipotle peppers, burritos, Sriracha, frozen yogurt, chicken sandwiches, and tacos have all had their turns in the sun. I think it's just how food marketing works and always has.

It's funnier when they fail, though. Lots of places have been trying to make hatch peppers A Thing at least down here for like half a decade now, it never takes off but you'll still walk into a grocery store every once in awhile and see it's Hatch Pepper Festival and there's loads of products trying and variously failing to make it work. Brisket has failed to launch as the new bacon a few times also. Outside of specific holidays with specific associated foods it's always a slow news day in the grocery world, so they just hallucinate the dumbest poo poo and hope it catches on

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The taco thing was super annoying when I was on dating apps because at least 1 out of every four, probably closer to 1 out of every three women’s bio’s was “I love tacos and margaritas”. Nothing else. Justloving tacos and margs.

I asked one lady how many Margs per Minute she got from her machine at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

From working at a Mexican restaurant with an attached bar for a year I was introduced to a type of person for whom Mexican food was a thin veneer to make them feel better about spending hours slamming tequila cocktails on a weeknight

I had tacos, too! That's food! It was DINNER