Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah other countries can still be smug about our money infrastructure.

lol it's not the fact that we finally have the technology in place that actually matters, it's the fact that they've made every piece of technology a middleman. it costs everyone at every step of the process a percentage of your money just to be able to use it.

how tf you gonna charge me a convenience fee when the new system is more convenient for both the seller and the buyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the actual reason they want everything to be cashless is that it means homeless people are no longer living "off the grid" and still have to have some form of monthly payment (like a cell phone) to allow them to interact with civilization in the most basic ways, like obtaining food

If those homeless guys want some of my hard-earned paycheck then they're gonna have to get a Stripe payment module installed in their forearm so that I can casually swipe as I step over their body in the street

:elongate:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Panhandlers do carry terminals now. When literally nobody has cash on them anymore you gotta adapt, and there are multiple disruptor startups that make cheap hardware for handling chip transactions

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ruffian Price posted:

Panhandlers do carry terminals now. When literally nobody has cash on them anymore you gotta adapt, and there are multiple disruptor startups that make cheap hardware for handling chip transactions

I’ve had homeless folks tell me they had Venmo or cash app a few times recently

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

how tf you gonna charge me a convenience fee when the new system is more convenient for both the seller and the buyer?

It's a "convenience fee" because it's convenient for them to charge you a fee and get more money.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ruffian Price posted:

I rescind my opinions about the US not being at the forefront of FinTech innovation

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Because it's convenient for me that your bits are passing along my network! Because I Can, deal with it :shrug:

e:

Ham Equity posted:

It's a "convenience fee" because it's convenient for them to charge you a fee and get more money.

yeah lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's great when there's a convenience fee for paying something online but it's also the only way of paying

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
When I lived in Canada I thought it was cool that every restaurant had wifi card readers and would do the billpay at your table. They never take your card, which honest, should be the norm.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
in the united states just by example there's like $7.1 trillion dollars of retail sales per year, about 20% of which are paid for in cash, the vast majority of the rest are paid for with credit or debits cards.

the credit card companies, depending on a zillion factors that they have complete control over and are completely opaque to anyone using or accepting a card, take around a 1-1.5% cut by having a merchant be able to accept card payment at all. that's $60b revenue just because.

this is BEFORE they calculate risk of default / price in interest on balances etc and make other money that way

as a small business tyrant it costs me 2.8% off the top for someone to use a card or a phone to pay.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Mar 6, 2024

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

yeah, it's why you'll see a "cash" price and a "card" price for fuel at some gas stations. i *think* stores are banned from passing that 3% haircut onto consumers using a card by whatever EULA they have to sign to take visa/mastercard/etc, but if no one narcs to the card companies, stores can do what they want

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah, it's why you'll see a "cash" price and a "card" price for fuel at some gas stations. i *think* stores are banned from passing that 3% haircut onto consumers using a card by whatever EULA they have to sign to take visa/mastercard/etc, but if no one narcs to the card companies, stores can do what they want

They used to be but that went away over a decade ago and the eulas don’t ban it anymore but a lot of places still don’t because it pisses off customers

I actually got $200 out of a class action against shell gas stations for adding a fee way back when

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Eat This Glob posted:

in this state the way you can perform this passing on of the haircut is highly regulated in itself (imo a good thing because transparency) and must be communicated in certain ways. Those ways are lovely and nitpicky and universally make customers IRATE

not at the credit card companies, mind you. at the person behind the till.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

in this state the way you can perform this passing on of the haircut is highly regulated in itself (imo a good thing because transparency) and must be communicated in certain ways. Those ways are lovely and nitpicky and universally make customers IRATE

not at the credit card companies, mind you. at the person behind the till.

It’s fun too because in a lot of states the fee needs to be factored into the sales tax base so you see little mom and pop shops that don’t realize that get hit with margin killing five figure audits every so often

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s fun too because in a lot of states the fee needs to be factored into the sales tax base so you see little mom and pop shops that don’t realize that get hit with margin killing five figure audits every so often

yup, another source of pressure to just knuckle under and deal with it, it's just 3%, c'mon

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

Ah ok, yeah I could totally see it from that angle sure.

let us know when youre designing homeless tracking software for citigroup and then you'll be able to offer your "expert opinion" again

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

I loving hate it when friends want to drink at a bar and it turns out to be a cash only place once I get there.

I don't think it's entirely about avoiding the 3% haircut. Probably makes it easier to dodge taxes as well.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

mycomancy posted:

Peepaw, what are you doing out of bed?!

I gleefully avoid participation in financial systems, so I guess I'm out of touch. But in all seriousness I live in New England and I've never seen or heard of tapping to pay. Also my card is broken into two halves and you can't read the numbers anymore. Still works somehow!

First it was a firm swipe, then I was made to insert, and now they demand tapping. Soon they'll make me stick my thumb in something to complete a transaction.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I loving hate it when friends want to drink at a bar and it turns out to be a cash only place once I get there.

I don't think it's entirely about avoiding the 3% haircut. Probably makes it easier to dodge taxes as well.

It also speeds up service if a place is really busy which is why you tend to see it at mid sized and small concert venues a lot

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

I gleefully avoid participation in financial systems, so I guess I'm out of touch. But in all seriousness I live in New England and I've never seen or heard of tapping to pay. Also my card is broken into two halves and you can't read the numbers anymore. Still works somehow!

First it was a firm swipe, then I was made to insert, and now they demand tapping. Soon they'll make me stick my thumb in something to complete a transaction.

but the tapping is easier than all of those things

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BRJurgis posted:

I generally like tap conceptually over swiping and definitely over inserting but the taps on every machine are so different. Some are really picky about where you tap and then some want you to be really quick and some want you to hold for a second and it’s just annoying

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I generally like tap conceptually over swiping and definitely over inserting but the taps on every machine are so different. Some are really picky about where you tap and then some want you to be really quick and some want you to hold for a second and it’s just annoying

I had the same issues and noticed recently that it's generally down to UI problems. Often the machine has the tap logo somewhere on the plastic casing to indicate tapping is possible, but then the screen will display where it actually wants you to tap (often dead center). Once I knew what to look for, it became a non-issue.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

but the tapping is easier than all of those things

yeah after getting a tap to pay card it's hard to imagine going back to swipe or chip which both seem to constantly fail in the places around me. Like there was a gas station that had a good beer selection I'd hit once a week that had chip readers so bad they'd give you their coffee punch card (like buy 8 coffees and the next one is free kinda deal the size of a stock business card) to place under your card and wedge into the chip reader because they found that made the reader more consistent (it did admittedly work).

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah I've never had that experience tap just always "works" and in the couple years I've had it I can't even think of an example offhand where it's failed. Some places don't take it still somehow, but I never run into the "okay try again" loop you sometimes get with swiping/insert.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

PostNouveau posted:

Also makes it easier to gently caress over employees on tips and/or just steal them.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

tokin opposition posted:

Also makes it easier to gently caress over employees on tips and/or just steal them.

This could be outdated but I feel like the common knowledge is that everyone who works for tips prefers them in cash.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

BRJurgis posted:

Little Jack Horner,
became a store owner,
Selling delicious pies,
If you stick in your thumb,
And pull out a plum,
You know your cards declined

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PoundSand posted:

yeah after getting a tap to pay card it's hard to imagine going back to swipe or chip which both seem to constantly fail in the places around me. Like there was a gas station that had a good beer selection I'd hit once a week that had chip readers so bad they'd give you their coffee punch card (like buy 8 coffees and the next one is free kinda deal the size of a stock business card) to place under your card and wedge into the chip reader because they found that made the reader more consistent (it did admittedly work).

Yeah I've never had that experience tap just always "works" and in the couple years I've had it I can't even think of an example offhand where it's failed. Some places don't take it still somehow, but I never run into the "okay try again" loop you sometimes get with swiping/insert.

You’re lucky. Usually the “where does it even want the tap” is an issue at smaller places, like there’s a food cart I go to probably weekly that I’ve never had it work and always end up inserting. But the “be quick” or “hold for a second” issue seems to come up at least 1 out of 5 times. I think there’s just no real standard for the readers and they’re all slightly different

tokin opposition posted:

This is true too, although it also lets staff fudge their reported tips for tax purposes more easily, so who is to say

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
if im out at a bar or restaurant and i have cash on me i will put the bill on my card and leave the tip in cash

when i was a busboy we got a % of the tips and i always just assumed the owner skimmed cause the servers would tip out to him and he would redistrubute our shares to the bartender, dishwasher and busboy

and then the servers always under-reported their cash cause they knew they were getting screwed...so that means i got screwed twice

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tokin opposition posted:

it's the opposite, even if this

PoundSand posted:

This could be outdated but I feel like the common knowledge is that everyone who works for tips prefers them in cash.

is not actually common knowledge

having a kapo house manager or whatever handle strictly cash for tips is still preferable to having an opaque accounting system built into a computer that only the owner has admin access to

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

tokin opposition posted:

When I dine out I leave a cash tip and "stiff" them on the credit card for this reason and so they can potentially lie to the tax man.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Cash only is so the bar owner can lie about sales tax owed, they get busted for it constantly.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OH MY BAD posted:

let us know when youre designing homeless tracking software for citigroup and then you'll be able to offer your "expert opinion" again

Nobody has ever cared as much about my job of "make receipt print" and "turn on credit card reader" as you seem to, and that includes me personally

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BRJurgis posted:

can you not pay with your phone? isn’t apple/google pay the same scheme as the tap to pay card?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

can you not pay with your phone? isn’t apple/google pay the same scheme as the tap to pay card?

Yeah they've done a real poo poo job of like... telling people about all this poo poo but google/apple pay is the same protocol as card tap to pay and you can generally just use a supported card on those things. Basically every card reader made in the last ~10 years supports NFC payments even if it doesn't advertise that fact and unless the store has explicitly disabled it it probably will Just Work and you've just never tried it :shrug:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Vending machine at work has the NFC/Google wallet thing set up which makes it a lot easier to grab a coke on my way up, unfortunately they don't sell rum

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Vending machine at work has the NFC/Google wallet thing set up which makes it a lot easier to grab a coke on my way up, unfortunately they don't sell rum

Wait don’t you live in Seattle? Just stop in at Safeway on the way in and pick up a handle. Share it around, you’ll be more popular than the guy who brings stale donuts sometimes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Wait don’t you live in Seattle? Just stop in at Safeway on the way in and pick up a handle. Share it around, you’ll be more popular than the guy who brings stale donuts sometimes

Seattle is famous for Safeway

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When I can buy real drugs with a card and not be jailed for decades, that's when I'll embrace a cashless society, and not one second earlier.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Seattle is famous for Safeway

Washington allows grocery store liquor sales was the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Proust Malone posted:

Your gateway and processor have to support Google/Apple pay, and they frequently charge a premium for it. This applies even if you're using a Visa or whatever from within Apple/Google Pay.

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah they've done a real poo poo job of like... telling people about all this poo poo but google/apple pay is the same protocol as card tap to pay and you can generally just use a supported card on those things. Basically every card reader made in the last ~10 years supports NFC payments even if it doesn't advertise that fact and unless the store has explicitly disabled it it probably will Just Work and you've just never tried it :shrug:
Most processors/gateways charge extra for contactless payments ("tap to pay"). Magnetic stripe payments are the least secure, and also the cheapest to process. Payment processors/gateways typically hold retailers responsible for some portion of fraud, more if they're using magnetic stripe, less if they're using contactless/chip, but charge more for the contactless/chip payments.