Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Find me a poll that has been predictive this far out.

It's the foundation of your entire argument and you haven't even tried.

All I have to go off of are the polls that exist right now and the aggregates, and they are not something anyone who supports Biden should be ignoring right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2024/02/29/adam-schiff-katie-porter-steve-garvey-california-senate-race/

quote:

Days before the all-party primary for the U.S. Senate seat the late Dianne Feinstein held for decades, Democratic front-runner Adam Schiff and his allies are making an unusual gambit: spending a staggering $11.2 million elevating a Republican rival in hopes of boxing out his main intraparty opponent from the November ballot.

I'm not a big fan of Schiff gaming the jungle primary system to promote his Republican opponent. I know its California and all, but it would be safer to have no Republicans on the ballot for Senate encouraging more Republican voters to come out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nucleic Acids posted:

All I have to go off of are the polls that exist right now and the aggregates, and they are not something anyone who supports Biden should be ignoring right now.

Yes, the meaningless ones.

I'm not even a Biden supporter. I just live in reality.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's been pointed out before but the Democrats being able to say "we made a good-faith attempt to fix the border and Republicans blocked it" is a huge gift. It's 100% true and verifiable and also doesn't require them to say what their plan actually was, or prove it would have been effective.

Kalli posted:

Speaking of Israel, turns out it hasn't been 2 weapon shipments Joe bypassed congress on, it's been over a hundred:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/03/06/us-weapons-israel-gaza/

Military aid structuring, I love it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

One way to gauge the accuracy of the polls would be to look at Trump's predicted vote share in polling vs his actual vote share in primaries.

The most likely answer would seem to be an enthusiasm gap between reported Trump voters and the actual reality of taking time to go to the polls and do it.

That is people who were excited to vote for Trump before, and did so, and who report intending to vote may not actually be doing so this go round.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

Speaking of Israel, turns out it hasn't been 2 weapon shipments Joe bypassed congress on, it's been over a hundred:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/03/06/us-weapons-israel-gaza/

Things like will only continue to be a problem for him as the election approaches.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nucleic Acids posted:

Yeah, I think this is fair. Polls this far out are always unreliable but nobody goes around recalibrating polls when their guy is winning them.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

gurragadon posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2024/02/29/adam-schiff-katie-porter-steve-garvey-california-senate-race/

I'm not a big fan of Schiff gaming the jungle primary system to promote his Republican opponent. I know its California and all, but it would be safer to have no Republicans on the ballot for Senate encouraging more Republican voters to come out.

California has not elected a Republican to the Senate since 1988, and the last Senate election went 60-40 to the Dem. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nucleic Acids posted:

hey remember in 2016 when polls around this time of year said trump wouldn't be president? haha yeah

(the moral of this post is that polls this early in the cycle (arguably before the cycle has even started) mean absolutely gently caress all and always have)

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

You forgot to use the nested parenthesis.

What a dogshit post.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Nucleic Acids posted:

To quote another goon, saying things over and over again doesn’t make it true.

Make what true? Polls aren't votes.

quote:

None that is argument in favor of what Biden is doing,

I'm not arguing in favor of what Biden is doing. I'm pointing out that you're demonstrably wrong when saying that those three things can be expected to lose him an election. They were already the status quo for him in 2020 and for anyone who cares enough to dislike him for it, Trump is even worse.

quote:

and as especially regards his open support of genocide, is not helping him, as the Uncommitted votes in Michigan and Minnesota show.

Biden won Michigan by 55,000 more votes than there are "uncommitted" votes, where Democrats *now* control every branch of government and both US Senate seats. He won Minnesota by 188,000 more votes than there were protest votes.

There is, on top of this fact, no way to know, let alone confirm, that any of these protest voters voted at all in 2020.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Things like will only continue to be a problem for him as the election approaches.

They weren't a problem for him when the last election approached.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kith posted:

hey remember in 2016 when polls around this time of year said trump wouldn't be president? haha yeah

(the moral of this post is that polls this early in the cycle (arguably before the cycle has even started) mean absolutely gently caress all and always have)

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1764682684280783232

But nothing can change of course between now and then. Well I guess that Biden could use his insane warchest against the broke rear end Republican party to try and influence voters?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1765317914003906885

quote:

An estimated $2.7 billion is expected to be spent just on presidential campaign advertising this cycle. Pro-Biden super PACs Future Forward and American Bridge already have committed to a blizzard of ads, with $250 million and $200 million in spending respectively, as Democrats prepare an onslaught of ads to turn voters’ attention away from Biden’s age and remind them of Trump’s chaotic first term. In a memo released Wednesday morning, the Biden campaign said that groups allied with it had committed to spending more than $700 million to help defeat Trump.

And with the president’s team eager to turn 2024 into a choice election for voters, plans are in place for the campaign itself to ramp up contrast ad-spending this spring. A person familiar with Biden’s campaign strategy but not authorized to speak about it publicly said it will come earlier than when then-President Barack Obama’s allies began turning up the heat on Republican rival Mitt Romney in 2012.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean just glancing at the national polling from 2020, January-April the vast majority show Biden with a 4-8 point lead over Trump nationally and that held up pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2020_United_States_presidential_election

The 2016 polls are harder to judge because at this point it was a 4 way race vs a 2 way and Kasich was fairly consistently beating Hill dawg, though there's a handful that had any R but Trump over her.

I'm seeing on the wiki page:

3/3-3/6 - NBC/WSJ Hill + 13
ABC/WAPO Hill + 9
2/29-3/1 Ramussen Hill + 5
2/24-2/27 CNN/ORC Hill +8
2/15-2/17 Fox Hill +5
2/11-2/15 Suffolk/USA Today Trump +1

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 6, 2024

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Can't wait for the constant supercuts of J6 during every college football game commercial break here in Ohio.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Polls not being predictive this far out isn't the same as them being meaningless.

You can use polling data to (especially issue polling) determine many specific things even if head-to-head polling is not predictive.

We know the election will be close.

We know that the popular vote margin would be somewhere between Biden -5.5% and Biden +4.5% if the election were held today and there was 100% turnout among registered voters.

We know that Biden is probably behind by roughly 2.2% nationally right now if the election were held today with 100% turnout among registered voters.

We know that the biggest issues hurting Biden right now are immigration, his age, and grocery store prices.

The election isn't today and turnout won't be 100% of registered voters, so the head-to-head figures don't really tell us anything from a predictive standpoint. But, that doesn't mean all polling is totally meaningless.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 6, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xombie posted:

Can't wait for the constant supercuts of J6 during every college football game commercial break here in Ohio.

its gonna be that and abortion and whatever insane poo poo trump has said or done and god knows what other hosed up poo poo the GOP tries then.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Polls not being predictive this far out isn't the same as them being meaningless.

We know that the popular vote margin would be somewhere between Biden -5.5% and Biden +4.5% if the election were held today and there was 100% turnout among registered voters.

This translates to like a 300 vote range in the electoral college. I would say that’s pretty meaningless.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am 100% confident in my prediction that Biden will either win or lose the election

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Seph posted:

This translates to like a 300 vote range in the electoral college. I would say that’s pretty meaningless.

Right. That is why the last sentence is:

quote:

The election isn't today and turnout won't be 100% of registered voters, so the head-to-head figures don't really tell us anything from a predictive standpoint.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump, ever gracious in victory, continues his bromides against a candidate who performed relatively well against him and whose voters say by supermajority margins they will never vote for Trump. "My opponents supporters are not allowed to vote for me" is an interesting electoral strategy.

Joe is taking the opposite approach
https://twitter.com/BrookeGoren/status/1765396581639971169

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 6, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

haveblue posted:

I am 100% confident in my prediction that Biden will either win or lose the election

The foolish haveblue loses the toxx when the election ends up 269-269

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Right. That is why the last sentence is:

You were trying to make some distinction between predictive and meaningless, but I am saying they are both non predictive and meaningless this far out. Effectively saying “the election could go either way” is a meaningless conclusion.

This is further exacerbated by the abysmal performance polls have had during the primary cycle. Just look at the polling averages vs actual votes this cycle - they are generally off by double digit percentages. There is nothing to be gained by looking at polls right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Seph posted:

You were trying to make some distinction between predictive and meaningless, but I am saying they are both non predictive and meaningless this far out. Effectively saying “the election could go either way” is a meaningless conclusion.

This is further exacerbated by the abysmal performance polls have had during the primary cycle. Just look at the polling averages vs actual votes this cycle - they are generally off by double digit percentages. There is nothing to be gained by looking at polls right now.

The main point was just that issue polling is useful and polling to get current relative standing provides some information, even if it doesn't have any more predictive power of the election results right now than a coin flip.

There's a difference between polling being non-predictive right now vs. all polling being meaningless right now.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes, the meaningless ones.

I'm not even a Biden supporter. I just live in reality.

I would put myself into the "I don't love Biden, but he's sure as poo poo better than the alternative."

I really hope this is the last gasp of the Boomer Generation of presidents. Its time for someone born in the 60s or 70s to take over.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

98% of voters have no idea about any of this.

Cimber posted:

I would put myself into the "I don't love Biden, but he's sure as poo poo better than the alternative."

I really hope this is the last gasp of the Boomer Generation of presidents. Its time for someone born in the 60s or 70s to take over.
I'm in my 40s now. I hope the next Presidents are younger than I am.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 6, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Liberty University: It's as bad as you think.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1765076968159232428

I wonder what crimes

quote:

The U.S. Department of Education said it identified numerous cases that resulted in the misclassification or underreporting of crimes. And there were several incidents that the university determined to be unfounded, without evidence the initial report was false.

“This was especially common with respect to sexually based offenses, including rape and fondling cases,” according to the department’s Final Program Review Determination.

Federal investigators cited a case in which a woman reported being raped, with the attacker telling her he had a knife, the final program review stated.

Liberty’s investigator “unfounded this case based on a claim that the ‘victim indicates that she consented to the sexual act,’” the final program review stated. “In point of fact, the victim’s own statement merely indicated that she ‘gave in’ in an attempt to get away from the perpetrator.”

Many victims of sexual crimes feared reporting because of concerns of reprisal, the final program review stated. Several were punished for violating the student code of conduct known as “The Liberty Way,” while their assailants were left unpunished.

“Consequently, victims of sexual assault often felt dissuaded by Liberty administration’s reputation for punishing sexual assault survivors rather than helping them,” the final program review said. “Such fears created a culture of silence where sexual assaults commonly went unreported.”

Luckily, and I'm not being at all sarcastic here, Liberty will see a dramatic drop off in enrollment after they get beat 75-0 by an SEC team in the first round of the CFB playoffs next year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cimber posted:

Biden is actually too old to even be a Boomer, he's a member of the Silent Generation (our first and only Silent Generation president, in fact)

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 6, 2024

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

Actually, you have other things you can look at, such as actual election results. There is a strong correlation between special election results and the subsequent general election results, especially when the swing is large (like Democrats getting +11 last year). And before you say "Gaza," note that the Democrats won big a month after the Gaza campaign started last year.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...six-years-later

https://abcnews.go.com/538/democrats-winning-big-special-elections/story?id=103315703

Republicans lost in 2022 with the highest inflation of my lifetime, alleged roving gangs committing crimes in the cities, and new stock market lows. Democrats had one of the best performances in the midterms as incumbents for a long time. How the gently caress are Republicans going to get a better environment than that in 2024, with Trump now under 4 indictments and owing money for fraud and rape, no less?

You can also see actual election results right now in which Trump is underperforming his primary polls and Biden overperforming.

Regarding polls this far out, I'll just keep repeating myself here:

I will keep saying this to everyone who will listen: the polls are still not predictive yet and are literal coin flips. They start to get marginally predictive around mid-April, not now, and their predictive power will increase very slowly but linearly until election day.

https://archives.cjr.org/united_states_project/its_way_too_early_for_2016_polls_to_be_predictive.php

quote:

These matchups may be fun to speculate about, but the evidence suggests that even national trial heat polls conducted this far in advance of a presidential election are completely uninformative about its outcome. (Individual state trial heats are likely to be even less useful.) In their book The Timeline of Presidential Elections, the political scientists Christopher Wlezien and Robert Erikson find that polls conducted even 300 days before an election have virtually no predictive power; their forecasting power comes later in a campaign:

Clinton was leading Trump by around 10 points in the summer of 2016 during which I remember reading The Economist with a "meltdown" cover story with Trump melting down.

small butter fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 6, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Liberty University: It's as bad as you think.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1765076968159232428

I wonder what crimes

Luckily, and I'm not being at all sarcastic here, Liberty will see a dramatic drop off in enrollment after they get beat 75-0 by an SEC team in the first round of the CFB playoffs next year.

yeah apperently they have been doing badly since the jerry fallwell the elder ghoul died and the younger one just hosed around and did gross stuff and let it go to even more poo poo. maybe it will shutdown.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cimber posted:

You're preaching to the choir, hoss.

I'm honestly considering running locally. Or at least, I am until I remember that I'm 1) broke and 2) comically unelectable.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Given:

- Trump's indictments
- Republicans losing since 2017
- GOP cash problems
- GOP state party problems in swing states
- the NYT poll that people are worried about showing the impossible with Trump swinging +10 with women vs 2020 and being tied with Biden post Dobbs
- Markets making new highs
- Crime coming way down
- People getting more used to these new high prices (which were a shock in 2022 but Rs still lost)
- Republicans running a loser

Biden will comfortably beat his 2020 results.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah apperently they have been doing badly since the jerry fallwell the elder ghoul died and the younger one just hosed around and did gross stuff and let it go to even more poo poo. maybe it will shutdown.

It's a fake college intended to showcase how education can be right-wing. It has an admit rate of 99.3 percent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

It's a fake college intended to showcase how education can be right-wing. It has an admit rate of 99.3 percent.

yeah i remember my dad telling me some distant work colliege or friend or something had a kid going there and i just laughed, good luck getting any job with that diploma outside the hive.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

small butter posted:

Actually, you have other things you can look at, such as actual election results. There is a strong correlation between special election results and the subsequent general election results, especially when the swing is large (like Democrats getting +11 last year). And before you say "Gaza," note that the Democrats won big a month after the Gaza campaign started last year.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...six-years-later

https://abcnews.go.com/538/democrats-winning-big-special-elections/story?id=103315703

Republicans lost in 2022 with the highest inflation of my lifetime, alleged roving gangs committing crimes in the cities, and new stock market lows. Democrats had one of the best performances in the midterms as incumbents for a long time. How the gently caress are Republicans going to get a better environment than that in 2022, with Trump now under 4 indictments and owing money for fraud and rape, no less?

You can also see actual election results right now in which Trump is underperforming his primary polls and Biden overperforming.

Regarding polls this far out, I'll just keep repeating myself here:

I will keep saying this to everyone who will listen: the polls are still not predictive yet and are literal coin flips. They start to get marginally predictive around mid-April, not now, and their predictive power will increase very slowly but linearly until election day.

https://archives.cjr.org/united_states_project/its_way_too_early_for_2016_polls_to_be_predictive.php

Clinton was leading Trump by around 10 points in the summer of 2016 during which I remember reading The Economist with a "meltdown" cover story with Trump melting down.

Even ignoring the time element of predictive value for a second, this is implicitly assuming that polls in 2024 are as good at capturing the *current state* as they were in 2016. However, as we’ve seen this primary cycle they are actually worse than in 2016. So the base state is even worse than what your graph is showing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're preaching to the choir, hoss.

I'm honestly considering running locally. Or at least, I am until I remember that I'm 1) broke and 2) comically unelectable.

Politics is loving nasty. A guy i work with was running for school board in his town, and the poo poo that happened to him was amazingly awful. People showing up at his door late at night to yell at him, people calling him at all hours. Don't even ask about social media. It got so bad he had to sit with his daughter at the bus stop and watch her get on the school bus because his 5th grade daughter was catching poo poo waiting for the bus.

Mind you, he is a Jewish Democrat running in a pretty MAGA part of Long Island, but still, it was awful. He ended up saying 'gently caress this' and withdrawing from the race.

For school board.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i remember my dad telling me some distant work colliege or friend or something had a kid going there and i just laughed, good luck getting any job with that diploma outside the hive.

Isn't that sort of the point? It's a pipeline, turning out a bunch of kids who are unemployable outside the religious right is a great way to keep the religious right staffed up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s not just going to shut down.

It has a listed enrollment of close to 50k. Even if they’re all remote that’s still a ton of people and money.

Little homeschooled religious eichmanns have to get their business degrees from somewhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

Isn't that sort of the point? It's a pipeline, turning out a bunch of kids who are unemployable outside the religious right is a great way to keep the religious right staffed up

depresingly yeah.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cimber posted:

Politics is loving nasty. A guy i work with was running for school board in his town, and the poo poo that happened to him was amazingly awful. People showing up at his door late at night to yell at him, people calling him at all hours. Don't even ask about social media. It got so bad he had to sit with his daughter at the bus stop and watch her get on the school bus because his 5th grade daughter was catching poo poo waiting for the bus.

Mind you, he is a Jewish Democrat running in a pretty MAGA part of Long Island, but still, it was awful. He ended up saying 'gently caress this' and withdrawing from the race.

For school board.

When you see someone complaining that "the DNC chose" to let a race in some blood red district go unopposed, it's always because no individual candidate in that district stepped up to take one for the team, and this is why. Remember that running for Congress requires not only exposing yourself to that on a larger scale but typically putting a whole lot more of your own time/money into campaigning than a local school board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Killer robot posted:

When you see someone complaining that "the DNC chose" to let a race in some blood red district go unopposed, it's always because no individual candidate in that district stepped up to take one for the team, and this is why. Remember that running for Congress requires not only exposing yourself to that on a larger scale but typically putting a whole lot more of your own time/money into campaigning than a local school board.

The story of the guy who ran against Marjorie Taylor Green in 2020 breaks my heart. He stepped up and it ruined his life.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/why-marjorie-taylor-greenes-opponent-quit-the-house-race/E3TYSMAAPRDUPPB6F3BBQAFCME/

EDIT: The Washington Post piece is better, but behind a paywall. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/17/kevin-van-ausdal-qanon-marjorie-greene-georgia/?arc404=true