Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

causticBeet posted:

Flamethrower seems pretty cool because it should solve both the charger problem and the “big rear end group of hunters and warriors chasing you that are standing right next to the charger” at the same time. Running flamethrower + jump pack sounds way more fun than railgun + shield anyways.

I think the patch notes look fine and I’m happy to see active balancing. In the (hopefully near) future we get lots of new gear anyways so I’m kind of fine with the current tools being a bit weak if it makes space for future progression stuff like mechs + upgraded stratagems to be the actual solution to making higher difficulties more manageable.
Yeah I think flamethrower + slugger is gonna be my go-to for the bugs. The new artillery strikes are... not entirely useless anymore either, though for reliability you still need two overlapping barrages imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

jokes posted:

How do you grab from your own supply pack with controller?

Hit the reload button. There's nothing special about it, it's just the ammo takes a backpack slot.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

JonBolds posted:

Great news. The 50% increased damage applies to you and your team as well.

You won't even have time to stim if you set yourself on fire.

Anyway the flamethrower was good before but it absolutely Fucks now.

Lol yeah I didn't really think that through fully I guess

Flames for freedom

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ravendas posted:

It reloads in chunks of 5, so if you have 6-10 shots in the tank you can't reload.

If you're down to 0 shots, then it does the super long two chunk reload, so try not to do that.

The good news with the AC though is that you never 'waste' ammo, there isn't a clip you're tossing out and replacing. You're just slotting more in.

Edit: Each yellow slot in the backpack is a 5pack of ammo, which is pretty neat visually.

Also picking up ammo will refill your backpack, just in case it wasn't obvious. So as long as you have your backpack you basically have infinite AC ammo and it owns. Absolutely worth not having any other backpack on automaton missions imo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its still the best primary and taking anything else besides the defender or slugger is still just gimping yourself to no benefit

Fair enough I haven't played but if this is a minor patch maybe they will track usage and nerf it more or buff something else. I been using breaker 99% since I unlocked but at the same I should maybe consider using a sniper rifle if I want to snipe instead of sniping with an automatic shotgun.

I don't know how Arrowhead approached balancing in Helldivers 1 so I am not sure if they are heavy with the balance changes/reworks etc.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Nuebot posted:

Also picking up ammo will refill your backpack, just in case it wasn't obvious. So as long as you have your backpack you basically have infinite AC ammo and it owns. Absolutely worth not having any other backpack on automaton missions imo

Yeah, I don't think I've ever ran out of autocannon ammo. It has so much, and resupply and the little world ammo packs refill it. It's practically a primary weapon (though don't shoot bugs within like 5m of yourself unless you like blowing yourself up)

You absolutely do not need a 2nd player to load it for you. Just grab the autocannon and the backpack that drops in, and you're set.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ijyt posted:

ok retard

good one

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ulio posted:

Fair enough I haven't played but if this is a minor patch maybe they will track usage and nerf it more or buff something else. I been using breaker 99% since I unlocked but at the same I should maybe consider using a sniper rifle if I want to snipe instead of sniping with an automatic shotgun.

I don't know how Arrowhead approached balancing in Helldivers 1 so I am not sure if they are heavy with the balance changes/reworks etc.

slugger functions as a DMR in practice, and it just got better, so there is that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I just want Chargers to not be so quiet. A big armor plated chungus should not be able to tiptoe behind me silently. I think in general that's probably the one thing I'm really noticing coming from *tide games is a lack of some enemy-specific audio cues. There's some good audio design but all the big targets (including hulks) are extremely quiet outside of their passive noises it seems.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

slugger functions as a DMR in practice, and it just got better, so there is that.

Once I unlocked the slugger I had zero reason to ever use a DMR again

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Having the most in depth reload gimmicks in the game so far makes it feel very safe to assume that they will never nerf autocannon capacity (just pick up gains) because that would be a huge amount of work to ensure it doesn't break it entirely.

Can't reduce the magazines without modeling a new backpack. Can't reduce the ammo per mag without huge effects of "-1 ammo now means -2 capacity and -10 backpack". And also needing to redo the code for multi pack reload limits.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I just noticed how that Auto Cannon reloading works last night and that's a pretty nice benefit

I'm excited to be able to play today and try out the new stuff. I was definitely a little weary the first day I got the game and my friend ran me through a level seven and legitimately everybody was using railguns and breakers lol

I actually kind of prefer the first shotgun to the breaker but I couldn't tell you why

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thanks all for the AC reload explainers, makes a lot of sense in retrospect but i'm a bit stupid lol

i loved shooting it though, bugs go *splat* (then i go *splat* as i shoot a charger and it bounces into me like the drat grenades lol)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have a suspicion that during playtesting they realized that you could gib the bugs just by laying down fire with the autocannon or HMG support weapons and just hold everything off forever, so they had to implement a tank class to act as a bullet sponge. Otherwise they'd have to just greatly increase bug swarm sizes, which would be great but also might strain the engine.
Having to bring dedicated AT weaponry to deal with armoured targets has been a core conceit since Helldivers 1 lol. My own take on this is that I think the dedicated AT weapons should be buffed to one-shot a charger to the face like the first game, because I personally find the method of "leg shot -> primary weapon DPS" to be very unsatisfying when instead I could be blasting heads off with HEAT rounds.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

jokes posted:

5 key.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Also excited to play later. Time to run massed 120s/380s and enjoy the fireworks again.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Anyone try the Laser Cannon with the changes?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Just hit 20, and now I'm scared what to buy from the new stratagem unlocks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i still have trouble with chargers tbh, even on difficulty 4 they wouldn't die with two EAT shots right to the dome. i must be missing some detail on how to use the things - i assumed the idea was to EAT it then shoot the bits thus exposed, but i never saw it actually expose any bits :confused:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Insert name here posted:

Having to bring dedicated AT weaponry to deal with armoured targets has been a core conceit since Helldivers 1 lol. My own take on this is that I think the dedicated AT weapons should be buffed to one-shot a charger to the face like the first game, because I personally find the method of "leg shot -> primary weapon DPS" to be very unsatisfying when instead I could be blasting heads off with HEAT rounds.

I haven't really put much thought into it but having the EAT have two charges instead of two modules would probably be a good change in that regard

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

i still have trouble with chargers tbh, even on difficulty 4 they wouldn't die with two EAT shots right to the dome. i must be missing some detail on how to use the things - i assumed the idea was to EAT it then shoot the bits thus exposed, but i never saw it actually expose any bits :confused:

Its a little unclear, if you shoot the head or butt with EAT it doesn't break open any weakpoints. If you shoot the front legs though, it breaks the armor on them so you can shoot them with other guns. Worth taking your time to line up the shot if you can.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

EAT to the legs or sides to blow off armor plates. Focus fire to bring them down. Most times AT isn't going to outright KILL many armored bugs but it will make it a softer target.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Ciaphas posted:

EAT dead-on to a foreleg will strip the armour from it, leaving behind a weakspot that falls quickly to primary fire.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fishstick posted:

Anyone try the Laser Cannon with the changes?
From passing comments I have seen online, it is joining the AMR in the clubhouse of "Pretty good against robots with legitimate weakpoints, oddly pathetic against even medium bugs (but it can potentially kill a charger weakspot before you burn it out so therefore OP)"

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Just hit 20, and now I'm scared what to buy from the new stratagem unlocks.

As long as you keep your Req between 30-40k buy anything you want, because the limit is 50k, so spend it or lose it. The medal limit is also supposedly 250.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 6, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Chargers are unintuitive in terms of what you want to use where for new players, imo.

The general idea is you want to break the armor off of one of front the legs using your anti tank of choice (EAT, Recoilless, etc) and then once the soft meat is exposed you can finish it off extremely quickly with some small arms fire into said leg. The trouble is doing it with a lot of other poo poo and n+x other chargers trying to also eat your cape at the same time.

With autocannon (and maybe the AMR? Not sure) you want to do the same, but from behind (ie: hit the same front leg 2 - 3 times from behind). You can also try and shoot the bottom of their tail until it falls off which is a lot easier to do with poo poo going down, but takes more shots overall.

Chargers are also vulnerable to small arms for a short period of time directly after they finish a charge, so you can put some damage into one of said legs that way too if you dont have any AT available right now.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

For the cooldown, only carrying 1 at a time, etc. the EAT really should oneshot anything it hits directly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I continue to just pump grenades (launcher and impact) into the charger's rear end and accept it as a good use.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Am I right in understanding that non-explosive damage weapons are doing less damage shooting weakpoints than they would shooting anywhere else?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I saw on reddit lots of people complaining about railgun nerf and not being able to handle multiple chargers. Lol these guys have legitmately just used railgun to carry their rear end for high difficulty. The expendable rockets have such low low low cooldown man and apparently now the flamethrower just shreds chargers too. But I guess you can't snipe chargers with railgun anymore so higher diff literally unplayable.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ulio posted:

I saw on reddit lots of people complaining about railgun nerf and not being able to handle multiple chargers. Lol these guys have legitmately just used railgun to carry their rear end for high difficulty. The expendable rockets have such low low low cooldown man and apparently now the flamethrower just shreds chargers too. But I guess you can't snipe chargers with railgun anymore so higher diff literally unplayable.

yea the EAT is pretty good. i dont really mind the flow of carry 1 > engage enemy that needs it > call 2 more in immediately > proceed to EAT them out

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

Am I right in understanding that non-explosive damage weapons are doing less damage shooting weakpoints than they would shooting anywhere else?
For bugs, yeah. You can actually take out a hulk with primary fire if you get behind them pretty well!... When they don't remember they can use Darksouls 2 turn rates as fast as light armor can sprint (imagine a scout and one armed hulk circling eachother like morons for a solid ten seconds)

Ulio posted:

I used to use the EAT nonstop. but debuffs remove everything good about the EAT more than an increase in armored enemies does as you increase difficulty levels.

Fast cooldown? Gone with debuffs. Fast panic dial? Gone with randomizers. "Just bring it as a second support weapon idiot"? Gone with 3 strat limits unless you only want a single orbit/eagle call.

Also it has an obnoxious long delay between pulling it out, and being allowed to fire it. Which drives me crazy every time I go back to the EAT for a bit.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 6, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

seems like having a flamethrower + arc thrower in your squad will melt any and all chargers but i wont be able to test this until later tonight

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

Weak points like bot heads, bile spewer heads, etc. works like you'd expect, dealing extra damage.

"Squishy" parts like bile spewer/charger asses take 10% damage from regular bullets and the full regular damage from weapons with the Explosive trait, but are not actually weak points at all despite being big, glowing "Shoot me!" targets.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! This makes sense!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

jokes posted:

Down on the d-pad.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
As a Bad Player that nevertheless enjoys the game, it feels reasonable to mourn the crutch I used to be able to enjoy the lowest difficulty mission I could farm super samples in. Kindly halve the number of chargers on difficulty 7 for us baby bitches.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
https://www.arrowheadgamestudios.com/2024/03/balancing-the-firepower-in-helldivers-2/

this was posted in the Helldivers 2 discord. They talk about the changes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Can someone explain the arc thrower to me? It seems/feels weak and I've clearly not used it in the right conditions.
On a difficulty 7 mission last night, a pubby was using one, and I saw him get completely overrun by automaton brawlers while trying to arc them. Would've been comical if not so tragic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

For bugs, yeah. You can actually take out a hulk with primary fire if you get behind them pretty well!... When they don't remember they can use Darksouls 2 turn rates as fast as light armor can sprint (imagine a scout and one armed hulk circling eachother like morons for a solid ten seconds)

I used to use the EAT nonstop. but debuffs remove everything good about the EAT more than an increase in armored enemies does as you increase difficulty levels.

Fast cooldown? Gone with debuffs. Fast panic dial? Gone with randomizers. "Just bring it as a second support weapon idiot"? Gone with 3 strat limits unless you only want a single orbit/eagle call.

Also it has an obnoxious long delay between pulling it out, and being allowed to fire it. Which drives me crazy every time I go back to the EAT for a bit.

Yes my post was specifically for terminids, I agree with your points on it vs the robos thats another story.

So the devs want us to use stratagems to take out bigger enemy types but you can run out of strategems in higher difficulty. I think another thing to consider is that if the mission goal is not exertinate 200-400 enemies that you should treat helldivers like navy seals behind enemy lines. Take out enemy forces you need to but focus on the objective. This doesn't mean objective rushing but putting more thought into which fights you take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Russian Remoulade posted:

As a Bad Player that nevertheless enjoys the game, it feels reasonable to mourn the crutch I used to be able to enjoy the lowest difficulty mission I could farm super samples in. Kindly halve the number of chargers on difficulty 7 for us baby bitches.
Unironically, do difficulty 7 bots. It's a lot more chill. Bring an AMR or Autocannon.