Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

she was super wooden overall. that's a tough challenge given the source so I don't really blame her but drat did they need an unknown weirdo who would really juice those goofball lines.
Did we watch the same movie? She was anything but wooden. She and Timothée had really good chemistry on-screen and made the love story work incredibly well. She also managed to make her increased estrangement from him in the face of his later choices believable. She and Tmothée were very good casts for their roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I laughed at the third time you see worm riding and there’s basically a whole ton of people and a palanquin for Jessica, it started becoming so casual like it was riding the bus

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That Hark spice harvester was an incredibly vile-looking machine. Loved it.
And the sheer whimsy of Gurney's sail driven harvester...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah looked like a loving tick.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalel posted:

hope everyone is ready to fight terminators

Wait, wasn't the Butlerian Jihad not against AI but people that wanted to use AI? like it was never a thing about AI overthrowing man but the dangers of AI leading humanity to a path of indolence and eventually stagnating itself into extinction?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Cassian of Imola posted:

Just because of the harsh conditions of Arrakis/constant state of war for generations.

do they ever say god created arrakis to train the faithful in the movie? One of the coolest bits in the book I m o

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

kalel posted:

watched it again and idk y'all are crazy. it's incredibly loving good. or maybe it's me, maybe I'm the crazy one.

it was very good. the setpieces and visuals were astonishing and felt like a revelation after years of boring and grounded sci-fi. the thrust of the plot was true to the books and was just as sickening in the end.

I just felt little humanity outside maybe Stilgar in the movie. The fremen depiction at times felt uncomfortably stereotyped and hordelike (yeah I'm aware) and Paul's middle period of his character arc between bratty nerd and dictator, felt muddy. Chani was supposed to fill this gap but her emoting came across as a high school crush who was pouting, to me.

Maybe I just have a tin ear for Villeneuve because I've had this feeling from all of his work. And maybe it's ok for Dune to feel alien like that.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Yeah explained in the books (one I think?) is that Fremen have basically endured and thrived in worse conditions than Sardakaur boot camp planet Salusa Secundus

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think my favorite fight was the first one because it was so weird

The weird red afternoon sun

Weird looking soldiers

Weird lasers

The weird way they floated

Felt like good old weird 60’s sci-fi

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wow cool trike!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Could maybe someone from the those parts could chime in on the whole 'It's have been better if more Fremen and especially Chani were Arab' thing.

Because yeah they are clearly meant to have parallels to people living in the Arab Peninsula and actually are intellectual descendents from Islamic (and Buddhist!(?)) religion and philosophy, I can't really see any of my MENA friends or acquintances calling this whitewashing. I could could see some getting offended pretty seriously at casting the Fremen as Arabs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Wow cool trike!

Whenever the game is using designs from the movie it looks really nice. But all of the original vehicles and costumes look like they're from Destiny...

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, wasn't the Butlerian Jihad not against AI but people that wanted to use AI? like it was never a thing about AI overthrowing man but the dangers of AI leading humanity to a path of indolence and eventually stagnating itself into extinction?

That's what it is in the early books and especially the Dune Encyclopedia, which Herbert reviewed and approved of, but his son's ghost written work changed that to a war with terminators

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Whenever the game is using designs from the movie it looks really nice. But all of the original vehicles and costumes look like they're from Destiny...

Wow cool time machine!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I liked this better than the first. It feels like after the success of the first movie, and getting a lot of the exposition out of the way, Villeneuve was free to start digging into the weirdness of the world a little more. Not that there wasn't weirdness last time but this just had stronger vibes.

As far as the story goes, there are certainly some big choices made, and the only one I'm really against is leaving out Alia- that felt more like sanding off some of the stranger parts. And yeah Jessica is maybe a bit too villain-coded, she loses some development though Ferguson is as good as ever. (Among other things left out is Gurney thinking she was the traitor and trying to kill her, which- yeah it's not strictly necessary for the film but would've given her a bit more vulnerability/humanity.)

But yeah it's a gorgeous and engaging work that manages to dig into the tricky themes of the source material. And I honestly love how much of a freakin' weirdo Javier Bardem's Stilgar is.

Also felt like Zimmer's score contained more than one nod to Toto, which was nice. (Paul and Chani's love theme felt a little like the original, and you get some of the guitar hits in Feyd Rautha's scenes.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait for Harry Potter to join the club

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

The first PC Dune game, the one that's part adventure/part RTS, is weird for this, like they used likenesses from the Lynch movie for some characters (most notably Paul and Jessica, Feyd Rautha too IIRC) but not others.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Wow cool time machine!

Whoops, the screenshot from Dune 2 hadn't loaded and I thought he was talking about the new MMO from the tweet.

The MMO looks cool when it's using Villeneuve's designs and looks like Destiny when they made their own poo poo. Dune 2 stuck to the Lynch aesthetic really well.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

kalel posted:

watched it again and idk y'all are crazy. it's incredibly loving good. or maybe it's me, maybe I'm the crazy one.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I laughed at the third time you see worm riding and there’s basically a whole ton of people and a palanquin for Jessica, it started becoming so casual like it was riding the bus
Because for the Fremen it is.

While in other movies the characters flag down a taxi, the Fremen thump up a worm.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I quite enjoyed the movie, not as much as first one tho.
I think this film makes sci fi feel magical, alien and impossible which is what it should be.
I think it's up there with LOTR.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

As far as the story goes, there are certainly some big choices made, and the only one I'm really against is leaving out Alia- that felt more like sanding off some of the stranger parts.

I felt this way going in when I heard she wasn't in the movie, but having now seen it I actually think they made the Alia plot considerably weirder than it was in the book. They cast Anya Taylor Joy as a fetus!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jessica: “yes we would like the taste of butter”

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I felt this way going in when I heard she wasn't in the movie, but having now seen it I actually think they made the Alia plot considerably weirder than it was in the book. They cast Anya Taylor Joy as a fetus!

Personally, I quite enjoyed Ferg And Her Fortune Telling Sperg, it was super weird and made drinking baja blast way spicier.

haddedam fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 6, 2024

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Jessica having muttered convos with her fetus was deeply weird and I loved it. Most of the nitpicks in this thread are correct but overall the movie is a tremendous artistic achievement imo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rebecca Fergus and the Funky Fetus

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Jessica having muttered convos with her fetus was deeply weird and I loved it. Most of the nitpicks in this thread are correct but overall the movie is a tremendous artistic achievement imo.

Yup been reading these books since I was a pup myself and it works because it doesn't try to be the book. The book is an insanely insular narrative of lengthingly described politicking. And Denis made this a viscerally entertaining slug fest with spectacular visuals and a coda designed to hammer home a single theme (uh power sucks actually). Different things, but both good, and easily sitting next to each other to be enjoyed over and over again.

Excited to see it in imax for my second go around.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Excited to see it in imax for my second go around.
Be prepared to be blown away.

I'm thinking about watching it a third time in another IMAX cinema further away, just to see it with the 4K Laser projection and the 12 channel sound system instead of the 2K Xenon and 5.1 channel sound system I watched it in the second time, which already blew me away in comparison to the "normal" theater I watched it in the first time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

last I checked the 4k screenings only extended to the end of this week. they have to be adding more 4k showings soon, no?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

kalel posted:

last I checked the 4k screenings only extended to the end of this week. they have to be adding more 4k showings soon, no?
Huh? That is up to the individual cinema. The one I'm thinking of (Düsseldorf) has IMAX showings at least for the next two weeks (some of them even in English!).

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to see the first one again on imax, as it had the more striking visuals.

Maybe first one had more striking visuals cause I watched it on the best screen worstonia had while second one was at my closest cinema

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Saw this last night and thought it was pretty good. Didn't see the first movie but I had read the book a few years ago. I have one kind question that may have been answered in the books, but I didn't feel like was fully explained in the move about the emperor. Or maybe I missed it.

Why does the emperor go to Arrakis physically like that? Seems incredibly reckless.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

gurragadon posted:

Why does the emperor go to Arrakis physically like that? Seems incredibly reckless.

Paul sent him a letter with the Atriedes seal saying "I lived bitch". Emperor knew if it came out the Great Houses would attack him so went to Arrakis to attempt major damage control.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Paul sent him a letter with the Atriedes seal saying "I lived bitch". Emperor knew if it came out the Great Houses would attack him so went to Arrakis to attempt major damage control.

on top of that he's stupid and nobody expects the Fremen to be as powerful/numerous as they are. "well let's go see what these idiot sand people have to say for themse-OH GOD" [worm noises]

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't paying much attention during that letter scene because I was making fun of how they went to writing everything on a cylinder for some reason instead of a flat surface. In the book the events take place over the course of years right? With the way the movie jumped I couldn't tell how much time was passing.

Edit: I guess the pregnancy never finished so it was less than 9 months in the movie.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 6, 2024

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Desert power

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

on top of that he's stupid and nobody expects the Fremen to be as powerful/numerous as they are. "well let's go see what these idiot sand people have to say for themse-OH GOD" [worm noises]

Yeah this is the correct answer. Fremen numbers were always underexaggerated and nobody thinks the full force of the sardaukar could be schlonged, yet schlonged they were.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Part of the issue with excising the navigators guild as a whole is that they play a huge role in the 'the south is uninhabitable' bit. The fremen have been bribing them with smuggled spice to stop them from orbiting spy sats or letting anyone get a good view on what could be going on down there. In the movies it makes the Harks look like even bigger dumbasses when the baron has to say b b b but everyone knows no one can live in the South!

On same subject, I was hoping for some visual distinctiveness in the south that we didn't get. The movie is kinda in hurry up mode already at that point and we do get a storm wall when crossing INTO the south but once there skies are mostly just blue from my memory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scags McDouglas posted:

underexaggerated

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Part of the issue with excising the navigators guild as a whole is that they play a huge role in the 'the south is uninhabitable' bit. The fremen have been bribing them with smuggled spice to stop them from orbiting spy sats or letting anyone get a good view on what could be going on down there. In the movies it makes the Harks look like even bigger dumbasses when the baron has to say b b b but everyone knows no one can live in the South!

On same subject, I was hoping for some visual distinctiveness in the south that we didn't get. The movie is kinda in hurry up mode already at that point and we do get a storm wall when crossing INTO the south but once there skies are mostly just blue from my memory.

it's fine tbh. the only thing that jarred me out of the flow of movie watching was the random ornithopter flying in literal seconds after everyone else took an epicly long worm subway trip. it did not need the complication of the navigator's guild. it's ok for the Harkonnens to look incompetent and arrogant because they were established to be so the entire movie.