Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

nothing drastic, had a lot of long games in a row that made the game more of a chore than usual then i somehow got caught up in retro achievements and then speedrunning and now when im invited to dota it just feels like it'd be a massive chore and that by the time a party is up and we are in a game and it's all started i could have a run of Batman: The Video Game done

Oh I sure will, I've "played" through most of them with save states etc years go but actually learning these games and playing them thoroughly is much more satisfying, I wanna play all the mega mans, ninja gaidens and castlevanias, yes even Simons Quest - it's the only game from those 3 game series I played as a kid on our NES!

I grew up with Mega Man 2. Recently I got that package that has 1 through 6 in it.

Holy smokes the difficulty in Mega Man 2 is so different than all the other Mega Mans. They're brutal. Mega Man 2 is like baby mode. It's the only one I ever beat without save states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

credburn posted:

I grew up with Mega Man 2. Recently I got that package that has 1 through 6 in it.

Holy smokes the difficulty in Mega Man 2 is so different than all the other Mega Mans. They're brutal. Mega Man 2 is like baby mode. It's the only one I ever beat without save states.

That's because Metal Man's blades are hideously broken.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Dune: Awakening devs seem to be more interested in making a cookie cutter rust clone with dune color scheme, rather than to make an actual good dune game that uses in universe to create interesting and unique gameplay that make the game worth buying.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't think Dune particularly lends itself well to video game adaptations. Despite the numerous published attempts.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Serephina posted:

I don't think Dune particularly lends itself well to video game adaptations. Despite the numerous published attempts.

The Cryo game is excellent

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Serephina posted:

Oh it just started the RTS genre

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vic posted:

Oh it just started the RTS genre

It certainly did! It's still a skin pulled over some mechanics, the thing that makes Dune so unique is rather hard to gameify, unless you do a visual novel or other such narrative game (I've not played the Cryo game). And even then you'd just be retreading the first novel as there's not a lot of wiggle room for original content.

You can do sweeping desert epics without that particular IP. Deserts of Kharak pulled it off well enough, with its own deep-lore background rolled in.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Serephina posted:

???

The Cryo Interactive game from 1992 was critically acclaimed and Westwood Studios made Dune II, literally the first RTS game created which a completely unknown game you've probably never heard of, called Warcraft copied because Dune II was so successful?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dune shouldn't be anything but a book.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Serephina posted:

It certainly did! It's still a skin pulled over some mechanics, the thing that makes Dune so unique is rather hard to gameify, unless you do a visual novel or other such narrative game (I've not played the Cryo game). And even then you'd just be retreading the first novel as there's not a lot of wiggle room for original content.

You can do sweeping desert epics without that particular IP. Deserts of Kharak pulled it off well enough, with its own deep-lore background rolled in.

Skin pulled over some mechanics? That's any videogame. Dune lends itself well to videogames because you have lot of interesting stuff to pull from. A sand planet rich with unique resource full of giant sand worms and two factions fighting for control? How's that not great for an RTS game?

You could have an ornitopther flight simulator game, you can have spice business simulator, you could have a sword fighting action game. You'd have to make a very narrow and arbitrary definition of what would constitute a true Dune game, and it would probably be a dating sim.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dune should live in your imagination

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Clearly I'm in the right thread! lol. I'm not being contentious, but I really don't feel that the things that made the Dune novels so successful translate at all. Like, every time someone shoots a gun - remember, guns don't work in that setting, everyone has a personal forcefield. Precognition? How the hell do you make a video game out of that? (well you do, see Life is Strange - but not Dune II).

Let's compare it to another IP translated a lot into video games; Star Wars. Mostly based around amazing grand battle scenes, with a few heroes chewing their way through faceless enemies. Works well for both power-fantasy stuff like single-player Jedi games, and epic battle scenes recreating Hoth or space pew-pews. You can shove pretty much everything from the movies into a game without missing any small detail, and there's plenty of space to write out your own story/characters/narratives in the world given.

The things that made Dune really compelling and successful weren't the sandworm imagery on the front covers. If that's all that people want from their source material, fine, but you're then hamstringing yourself from making an even better fiction that better suits the media, like StarCraft or System Shock or something.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The thing about Dune is that it's got a pretty cool setting and a lot of potential stuff you can do with it outside of just what happens on the planet Arrakis except the whole thing is called Dune so none of it would make sense if you don't have it take place on Arrakis

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

The thing about Dune is that it's got a pretty cool setting and a lot of potential stuff you can do with it outside of just what happens on the planet Arrakis except the whole thing is called Dune so none of it would make sense if you don't have it take place on Arrakis

Dune: The Prequel Adventures of Duncan Idaho as a 3rd person action game would work. Go through the whole swordmaster of the Ginaz arc, explore Caladan/Geidi Prime/Dune. Show slow-pellets, gravbelts, lasguns, etc.

it wouldnt be any better/worse than Brian Herbert's stuff

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Yeah you gotta have Arrakis. Without the threat of "oh god I broke a light sweat outside of a controlled environment, I'm gonna die", Dune ain't poo poo. In game terms that'd almost certainly mean a constant HP drain, which nobody likes. So Dune's never gonna work.

It's why it'll never work in TV or movies either. Actors don't want to spend the majority of their screen time in head-to-toe stillsuits, and if you can't get across how inhospitable the planet is then you're just wasting your time.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Could make an extremely interesting PVP game in Dune setting that is lore accurate. Imagine the tactical possibilities and descisions you have to make. Do I stand on this cliff, or do I risk calling worm running to the other rock formation or I could wait for an opportunity and sandwalk across.
Should I not run my shield to stop everyone from dying when my team is winning or should I bring it cause the enemy is prepared for melee combat mostly. Or nobody is running shields so we should all bring lasers.
Yes shooting shield nukes everything. No it's not a big problem as shields can be made visually obvious, entire map being wiped and resetting, maybe in a new post destruction version could turn the tables and lend to interesting gameplay and be a tactical descision that alters entire teams loadout and naturally balances the teams as the more you risk to lose in an explosion the less shields or lasers you might want to bring.
Plus you could do multible settings: combat in safe city, open dunes protecting a harvester or cliffy areas would lend to drastically different gameplay what with worms, sandstorms and vericality and sight lines.
All those above would make for a game that is unique, tactical and worth owning in the larger gaming landscape that is mostly homogenous.
Or you could just reskin your previous game and push it out when the movies are in cinemas for a quick buck.

haddedam fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 6, 2024

itry
Aug 23, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah you gotta have Arrakis. Without the threat of "oh god I broke a light sweat outside of a controlled environment, I'm gonna die", Dune ain't poo poo. In game terms that'd almost certainly mean a constant HP drain, which nobody likes. So Dune's never gonna work.

It's why it'll never work in TV or movies either. Actors don't want to spend the majority of their screen time in head-to-toe stillsuits, and if you can't get across how inhospitable the planet is then you're just wasting your time.

I don't know about a direct adaptation of Dune, but the setting itself could work just fine as a sort of "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Dark Messiah of Sand & Spice" type of game. Either that or a grand strategy game. Or a point and click adventure.

No modern "survival" games though, thanks. Those are terrible.

Edit:
You can't use shields because you'd instantly get everyone killed by a pissed off worm. Any fighting at all on sand would get everyone killed, probably.

Maybe a Spice Harvester Simulator could be interesting. Upgrade your harvester, hire people, decide where to harvest, when enough's enough. Risk getting devoured by Shai-Hulud.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 6, 2024

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Ok seeing as how Dragons Dogma 2 is coming out soon here is my unpopular videogame opinion:

I could not get into Dragons Dogma 1 and I think its way overrated

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

no fuckin way am I paying 70 bucks for a game, I haven't even been willing to pay 60 for years

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

dune should live in your imagination

Actually, it's a movie 'beyond' your imagination.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

dsf posted:

Ok seeing as how Dragons Dogma 2 is coming out soon here is my unpopular videogame opinion:

The Dark Arisen expansion is much better than the main game. The main game already had fun combat, but the setting/world/story/dialogue were pretty bad. Dark Arisen focuses on the combat, has a neat dungeon, and minimalist story. It stripped away all the bad stuff. The bad thing is that you have to go through the main game to get to it because iirc it's a high level area.

no fuckin way am I paying 70 bucks for a game, I haven't even been willing to pay 60 for years

:hmmyes:

And gently caress off Capcom.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 6, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

dsf posted:

Yeah it never really clicked with me either

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There are too many systems in the combat in FF7Rebirth. They've introduced two new systems, both called Synergy, that do different things in different ways.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Would you say those systems do not synergize well?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Clearly I'm in the right thread! lol. I'm not being contentious, but I really don't feel that the things that made the Dune novels so successful translate at all. Like, every time someone shoots a gun - remember, guns don't work in that setting, everyone has a personal forcefield. Precognition? How the hell do you make a video game out of that? (well you do, see Life is Strange - but not Dune II).

Let's compare it to another IP translated a lot into video games; Star Wars. Mostly based around amazing grand battle scenes, with a few heroes chewing their way through faceless enemies. Works well for both power-fantasy stuff like single-player Jedi games, and epic battle scenes recreating Hoth or space pew-pews. You can shove pretty much everything from the movies into a game without missing any small detail, and there's plenty of space to write out your own story/characters/narratives in the world given.

The things that made Dune really compelling and successful weren't the sandworm imagery on the front covers. If that's all that people want from their source material, fine, but you're then hamstringing yourself from making an even better fiction that better suits the media, like StarCraft or System Shock or something.

You're totally right. The new Dune game they're making is painfully aware of this, they changed the lasagna so they just do not fire when aimed at a shield.

They got rid of religion! Lol

The good Dune videogame that sparked RTS genre is a good RTS game but barely a Dune a game. It's just set dressing. Change the orange sand into green grass and it's basically Warcraft. Or change nothing and slap Command and Conquer on the cover and it'd belong to that franchise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

The Dark Arisen expansion is much better than the main game. The main game already had fun combat, but the setting/world/story/dialogue were pretty bad. Dark Arisen focuses on the combat, has a neat dungeon, and minimalist story. It stripped away all the bad stuff. The bad thing is that you have to go through the main game to get to it because iirc it's a high level area.

Bizarrely if you put the game in the hardest difficulty setting and then basically ditch the main game to go to Bitterblack Isles, and because of how the XP scales you can shoot yourself up in levels in no time. I think I first saw it on the context of people just trying to cheese the game and start off super OP, but you could just as well chill there and treat the whole game like one dungeon crawl.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
they should make a dune flavored crusader kings. most of the book, by volume, is about nobles being lovely weirdos which crusader kings has already figured out how to turn into a game

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A new Dune game, you say? What's this?

"Dune: Awakening"... Meh name, but w/e.

"Open World"... to be expected I guess.

"Survival"...

"MMO"...

:yikes:

Khanstant posted:

Bizarrely if you put the game in the hardest difficulty setting and then basically ditch the main game to go to Bitterblack Isles, and because of how the XP scales you can shoot yourself up in levels in no time. I think I first saw it on the context of people just trying to cheese the game and start off super OP, but you could just as well chill there and treat the whole game like one dungeon crawl.

Maybe I'll try that and get immediately to Bitterblack Isles if I ever do a replay in the future. If it's viable then that's 100% the way to play the game.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

dsf posted:

I got into it and it was just an odd game that I liked enough to keep playing but didn't love. Beat the titular dragon then the game's like now go down to the underworld levels and I had enough at that point. The new one looks more interesting but I still don't dig the washed out bland aesthetic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The inhospitabilty of the planet is on the low end of interesting thing about the setting. Give characters a next gen "stillsuit" or an energy field that protects them better from the environment, great now we can have a game or whatever

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

a game where you get real high then pilot spaceships around. I guess you can really use any space game for this just as long as you pair it with the correct drugs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

The inhospitabilty of the planet is on the low end of interesting thing about the setting. Give characters a next gen "stillsuit" or an energy field that protects them better from the environment, great now we can have a game or whatever

It's been a long time since I've read it but I think in dune there's no next-gen anything because they're in a dark age and no one knows how all the technology works anymore or how to improve it

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's been a long time since I've read it but I think in dune there's no next-gen anything because they're in a dark age and no one knows how all the technology works anymore or how to improve it

Yeah the Dune universe had a big problem with AI and thinking machines (iirc humans were enslaved for thousands of years to ten robots) so afterword they ditched "thinking machines" entirely, and had dudes doing space travel calculations by hand. (also IIRC this is where Mentats came from)

it was a big problem because spaceships would gently caress up like 1 out of 5 jumps, then they discovered space weed the spice melange and their in-house Xbox gamers house pilots got so high on it they mutated into fish people. Once they figured out safe space travel again, innovation was done

I'm surprised nobody has made a game about the cymeks, but thats also firmly in Brian Herbert / Kevin J Anderson territory, so the literary source is awful trash

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Harkonen gay violence simulator in VR

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

Harkonenn boyfriend harem simulator in VR

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

imo you can't have a modern dune game without a minigame where you interact with your suit's poop recycler

if they don't include this feature, i wouldn't buy it. i don't think anyone would

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fur20 posted:

imo you can't have a modern dune game without a minigame where you interact with your suit's poop recycler

if they don't include this feature, i wouldn't buy it. i don't think anyone would

The standard footsteps sfx will be replaced with a squish-squish sound.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Fur20 posted:

Walk without rhythm, and you won't get poo stuck to your leg

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dragon's Dogma pre-Dark Arisen was pretty cool if you engaged with it as a fantasy world simulator rather than a pile of game systems. The game systems were kind of lacking in a lot of ways, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MSPain posted:

they should make a dune flavored crusader kings. most of the book, by volume, is about nobles being lovely weirdos which crusader kings has already figured out how to turn into a game
They actually did this! Just last year we had Dune: Spice Wars, it's a 'grand strategy' like Paradox's titles, with the individual fights playing out as a real-time 4X. It's also terribly boring, ultra-shallow once you get past the tutorial, and should be avoided.

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah the Dune universe had a big problem with AI and thinking machines (iirc humans were enslaved for thousands of years to ten robots)
This is unfortunately a Brian addition, who took the most literal & unimaginative interpretation of his father's work and had a dumbass terminators vs humans war. The OG works where intentionally very vague about this 'Butlerian Jihad' and what it was about exactly, only just that it's a convenient way to hand-wave away computers. Herbert was meticulously vague on why there's this low-tech feudalism in the deep future, he wanted that setting to tell a cool moody story, not to geek out over the backstory. Very different approach to Tolkien.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 7, 2024