Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Sash! posted:

I've never cared for jalapenos. Although I'm not really much of a fan of Mexican food in the first place.

Mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

General Dog posted:

Good, I hope they make a drier watermelon next.

What the gently caress. You'll take my towns juicy melons that are watered by the Columbia downstream from Hanford and like it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

drat those cake eaters in college station.

This is never a wrong opinion to hold, honestly.

Sash went to Penn State, that feels like it’s pretty far away from “Mexican food gourmet”

Actually I know a Penn State person at work, I should ask them too.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Liberty got hit for 14mil in fines from the feds because of the systematic coverup of rape (and other crimes) on campus. gently caress you Freize and Auburn

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/05/1236019397/liberty-university-clery-act-safety-crime

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sash! posted:

I've never cared for jalapenos. Although I'm not really much of a fan of Mexican food in the first place.

The most sash of posts

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

harperdc posted:

.Sash went to Penn State, that feels like it’s pretty far away from “Mexican food gourmet”

Actually I know a Penn State person at work, I should ask them too.

Putting aside the fast food places, I can only think of one Mexican place in State College when I was there and it definitely wasn't actual Mexican food either. There were a decent number of "Honduran Tex Mex" restaurants around Pittsburgh. I know it wasn't good, per se, but even after adjusting for variants and quality, a better quality version of it still wouldn't really do it for me.

If I want spicy food, I make a beeline to Indian. Maybe Thai, but not very often.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the idea that indian food and mexican food have related "spiciness" is absurd

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

State College isn't exactly Mexican food mecca but also, other cities... exist??

There are like half a dozen great Mexican restaurants in Pittsburgh just off the top of my head

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Not Mexican food specific but more along the lines”it’s delicious and you can put it on everything “ is home made spicy chili crisp.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'd say Sash really is the Mid-Atlantic Cotton Hill, but I can't remember if Cotton ever expressed an opinion on Mexican or even Tex Mex food

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Grow your own peppers
Ferment your own peppers
Make your own Hot Sauce
Bottle and make cute labels
Profit!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

drewhead posted:

Grow your own peppers
Ferment your own peppers
Make your own Hot Sauce
Profit!

where can I purchase this

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the idea that indian food and mexican food have related "spiciness" is absurd

Or that Mexican food is just considered a “spicy” food at all. Plenty of great Mexican dishes have little to no spice in terms of heat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

State College isn't exactly Mexican food mecca but also, other cities... exist??

There are like half a dozen great Mexican restaurants in Pittsburgh just off the top of my head

I've lived in DC for almost 15 years and the general consensus is there is no Mexican food in DC. If I'm traveling in the US, it tends to other places in the East that aren't exactly hotspots of the cuisine (like New York).

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'd say Sash really is the Mid-Atlantic Cotton Hill, but I can't remember if Cotton ever expressed an opinion on Mexican or even Tex Mex food

I have not killed fiddy men or ordered a Mai Tai from a random Laotian man, but you're not really that far off I guess.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Sash! posted:

I've lived in DC for almost 15 years and the general consensus is there is no Mexican food in DC. If I'm traveling in the US, it tends to other places in the East that aren't exactly hotspots of the cuisine (like New York).

We need to get you out here to southern California, buddy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol at Mexican food in the US outside of Texas or California.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

drewhead posted:

Grow your own peppers
Ferment your own peppers
Make your own Hot Sauce
Profit!

That label makes me want to loving vomit

But it's probably pretty tasty sauce

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Spacebump posted:

colorado and new mexico have better Mexican food than both and there's more types of mexican cuisine than just northern ones, expand your minds people

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

drewhead posted:

Grow your own peppers
Ferment your own peppers
Make your own Hot Sauce
Profit!

You actually selling this locally? Farmers markets or anything?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I just remember the Jim Gaffigan bit about waiting tables at a Mexican restaurant in Indiana.

"What's an enchilada?"

"It's a tortilla with meat, cheese, and vegetables."

"What are nachos?"

"It's a tortilla with meat, cheese, and vegetables."

"What's a tostada?"

"It's a tortilla with- look, it's all the same, just say a word and I'll bring you something, ok?"

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
In my experience, you can get excellent Mexican food any place with an established population of Mexican people.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We have a place here (it's a "chain", but the kind of chain that's like... Four locations total) that's pretty good, but that might be mind control because they've done enough uncanny poo poo like give me new silverware as I'm reaching to pick up the fork I just dropped or giving me extra queso without me asking thar I'm convinced they're all psychic.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
When I was working in a factory in rural Ohio they would buy us lunches for hitting production goals. If they bought Mexican or Chinese at least half the food had to be the Mexican or Chinese delicacy hamburgers.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Seaniqua posted:

In my experience, you can get excellent Mexican food any place with an established population of Mexican people.

I used to think the same till I moved to Los Angeles it's not the same

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

You actually selling this locally? Farmers markets or anything?

Nah, just had enough for friends and family. I'm actually down to two bottles left :(
This was my first year, and I learned a bunch. I've had a medium sized garden for years, just never grew a lot of peppers until last season. I actually started last year because I've been making homemade salsa and canning it. It's one of the features at my Tiger Tailgates. I got tired of buying hot peppers at my local farmers market so I decided to grow my own. Boy did they grow! I'm talking 100+ times what I needed for the salsa, six plants total over 3 varieties.
Will make some small changes next year, but this was super fun. The sauce is very habanero forward since that is what the majority of the peppers are. It's hot, like hotter than just about any grocery store sauce, but not crazy burn your face off hot like a lot of the specialty sauces.
If you can grow poo poo, make a 3.5% brine, and have a high speed blender you can do this.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

That rules. When we bought our first house on JI the previous owner had a pepper garden that pumped out more serranos than we know what to do with. I couldn’t quite keep it going but I gave a poo poo ton of peppers away. Wish I’d had the time or knowledge to put something together like that but I was too absorbed in homebrew, work and trying to start a fam. Seems like a fun little hobby.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

a neat cape posted:

We need to get you out here to southern California, buddy

I stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel, rented a convertible, saw a wildfire, ate the most overrated fast food hamburger in the history of the universe, and almost got hit by a car while drunk in Solvang so I feel like I got the general experience without having to buy an ugly modern stucco box bolted to a future landslide.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Tennessee had a massive influx of hispanic folks over the past 10-15 or so years. South Nashville was a center of awesome food trucks/stands when I lived there. It’s a genuine letdown when we travel somewhere and want Mexican food, I don’t know how people live without it.

Most restaurants still offer the Americanized versions of whatever tex-mex people typically expect but it’s still head and shoulders above the poo poo we’d get when I was a kid. And you can find the genuine articles more readily available than you can other places.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

There is a very good Mexican spot in Denver that reminds me exactly of the places I would go to in Austin all the time. There can be decent mexican outside of Cali/Texas you'll just have to look harder and try a few duds.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Sash! posted:

I stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel, rented a convertible, saw a wildfire, ate the most overrated fast food hamburger in the history of the universe, and almost got hit by a car while drunk in Solvang so I feel like I got the general experience without having to buy an ugly modern stucco box bolted to a future landslide.

LA sucks yeah.

Come to San Diego. I will treat you well. We will go to the Midway.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

a neat cape posted:

LA sucks yeah.

This is the correct Southern California take.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

a neat cape posted:

My spare car key is on a REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT keychain that says USS Midway on the back. I have no idea how I got it, because I definitely have never been to San Diego.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I bring extra hot sauce to the maintenance dudes at my work when I make big batches. It's been gratifying, because apparently word spread to a bunch of the Mexican people in the factory who then sampled it, and they now voice their approval whenever I walk by.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

LA sucks yeah.

I dunno, though. I'd eat at Tacos los Cholos any day. That place is good.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

I was going to say, I live in southern Indiana and we have a fairly sizeable immigrant population here for whatever reason, and I can think of like 5 serviceable Mexican restaurants in my relatively small city, plus a food truck or two.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Jivesauce posted:

I was going to say, I live in southern Indiana and we have a fairly sizeable immigrant population here for whatever reason, and I can think of like 5 serviceable Mexican restaurants in my relatively small city, plus a food truck or two.

Better be careful, you’re about to have ten Californians and/or Texans Kramering in to “bless your heart” over thinking good Mexican can exist anywhere else in the US.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Better be careful, you’re about to have ten Californians and/or Texans Kramering in to “bless your heart” over thinking good Mexican can exist anywhere else in the US.

It definitely exists all over, at least something “good enough”. The real answer is that the cuisine across Mexico alone is massively varied, before even getting into the cultural development of offshoots like Tex-Mex from the Tejano population having to eat based on the US supply chain for food over a few centuries, other Latin American cuisines, etc., that I don’t even know what people mean when they say “Mexican” food half the time. Most of it is pretty good.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fifty Three posted:

State College literally had no Mexican restaurants for like over a decade, and before that the only Mexican restaurant when I was a student was a Chi Chis (an old chain restaurant that apparently still has one location open in Vienna, Austria. Thanks wikipedia).

There is currently one decent Mexican sitdown restaurant and a local chain of good quick service type places (I had some killer barbacoa at Lupitas). Generally not as good as what you find in the Southwest, but it beats driving to Altoona or settling for Taco Bell.

e: Also the best Mexican I ever ate was in Phoenix, for what its worth.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Hello