Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Everyone in this thread might be The Dark Id at this point.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i can't be

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm already hospitalized i don't want to be fraud as well :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

pokemon is a natural fit for it which is why it works and harry potter (lol) doesnt

Remembering the time everyone at Blizzard was hooked on Pokemon Go so they started toying with doing a WoW version. ...Which I guess in fairness would still work better than HP.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Unperson_47 posted:

I haven't hijacked enough planes

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I found footage of the pokemon company's reaction to palworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ai1_tSoWcg&t=209s

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Huh, The Dark Id's Resident Evil LP's were literally the first sslps i ever read and really got me into it. Was a little crestfallen when I heard they were dying of cancer, in a very minor ive never met or interacted with this person kind of way.

Pretty glad its all probably lies. Hell most of those lies are just so ridiculous and weird. Lie away and keep making fun lps i say. Or don't, the body of work is already good enough and needs no further works so whatever.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Unperson_47 posted:

Do the Watchers Laugh too?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

fun hater posted:

i keep forgetting to keep up with this more to see if i like it. some articles have been fun

It's well worth the dollar a month and it doesn't have the creepy alphabet agency poo poo involved. You 'd think people who would like to see old internet stuff would be all over it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Evangelion/Ultraman/Attack On Titan/Hello Kitty crossover I never knew I needed

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RuBisCO posted:

Wow that DarkId stuff is loving wild it was one of his LPs that made me get an account lol

As somebody who came relatively late to the forums did he talk about that sort of thing in his LPs? Like "Jill shooting this Licker reminds me of this one time in the Congo Republic" and then would proceed to basically recount the events of Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Twitter and Discord, mostly?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dawgstar posted:

As somebody who came relatively late to the forums did he talk about that sort of thing in his LPs? Like "Jill shooting this Licker reminds me of this one time in the Congo Republic" and then would proceed to basically recount the events of Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner?

I remember reading his LPs via "filter posts from this user" and the only personal info I remember coming up was "he has kids" and a vague sense that he was ex-military, like some sort of offhand "update's going to be late today, the line at the VA office was long" kinds of comments where you don't know what they actually did but they're in that system somewhere

I'm not going to re-read all of the old LPs to, you know, confirm that, but that's all I remember my takeaways at the time being

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The pokemon game/piece of media I really want is one that actually takes the PokeDex descriptions seriously instead of just ignoring them. Those descriptions are WILD and are just handwaved away. Though, "kids character/show is actually terrifying and deadly" is a played out boring trope at best these days so maybe not.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crain posted:

The pokemon game/piece of media I really want is one that actually takes the PokeDex descriptions seriously instead of just ignoring them. Those descriptions are WILD and are just handwaved away. Though, "kids character/show is actually terrifying and deadly" is a played out boring trope at best these days so maybe not.

in fact, "people take PokeDex descriptions seriously" might be the single most played out and boring trope in that subgenre

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I remember reading his LPs via "filter posts from this user" and the only personal info I remember coming up was "he has kids" and a vague sense that he was ex-military, like some sort of offhand "update's going to be late today, the line at the VA office was long" kinds of comments where you don't know what they actually did but they're in that system somewhere

I'm not going to re-read all of the old LPs to, you know, confirm that, but that's all I remember my takeaways at the time being

You'll be glad to know the kids also don't exist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

n’thing that none of this daffy secret-agent nonsense came through in his forum posts, he mentioned prior military service probably less than a dozen times all told and they were so mundane you’d just assume he had a couple of crappy tours in Iraq or Afghanistan

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

This was mostly in his twitter and discord. You'd get bits of it (I thinkcthere was an lp where je spun a yarn about a delay due to needing to fly to Kentucky to best up his (assumed fake) brother) but it mostly was offsite.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
apropos of daffy secret agent nonsense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMa-Ba-2Mo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Droyer posted:

You'll be glad to know the kids also don't exist.

I'm aware that the dark id is the shadow of a single unemployed man on the wall of his parent's house's basement, yeah, lol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1765422696983150875

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I feel like this news will be met with mass cries of "Wait, Rooster Teeth was still a thing?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meh, good riddance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
For me it's that there are probably now more people who associate RT with RWBY than they do with RvB. Anyway rest in piss, definitely have some nostalgia for some of their older stuff but all the toxic work culture poo poo that came out and was being perpetuated by many of the original principal staff was appalling. Feel bad for the rank and file who were victims and are now losing their jobs.

Also unsurprisingly WB's trying to claw back whatever they can by pawning off the IP, so don't expect the popular stuff to actually vanish. Could totally see somebody like Netflix or Amazon swooping in pick up the rights to RWBY.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1765425776172675143

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
JCDentonYeahRip.wav

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

"Unprofitable Fandom" is a hell of a phrase.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Selling off the IP might not be such a bad thing? RWBY is one of those series that has some interesting concepts that are marred by an overwhelmingly amateurish execution, so another company buying the rights to the series and creating a reboot could result in something actually interesting? Y'know, provided they replace the voice cast. I feel bad saying this, but the fact that the people who provide the main voices for this series have been active for over a decade but whose CVs consist almost entirely of RWBY, its spin-offs and cameos and other Rooster Teeth projects is kind of telling...

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Crain posted:

I've assumed that Pokedex entries are 100% full of poo poo because they're written entirely by unsupervised excitable 10-year-olds and vetted by one man who is an excitable 10-year-old trapped in a 50-year-old's body.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol paying millions of dollar for rooster teeth

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How can you sell Red VS Blue? How does that work?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

KingKalamari posted:

Selling off the IP might not be such a bad thing? RWBY is one of those series that has some interesting concepts that are marred by an overwhelmingly amateurish execution, so another company buying the rights to the series and creating a reboot could result in something actually interesting? Y'know, provided they replace the voice cast. I feel bad saying this, but the fact that the people who provide the main voices for this series have been active for over a decade but whose CVs consist almost entirely of RWBY, its spin-offs and cameos and other Rooster Teeth projects is kind of telling...

Half the original cast was people they had around the office, including such talents as "guy who yells at video games", "other guy who yells at video games", "all three of the original writer/directors" ...

I was really into RT as a teenager, but this feels like a long overdue mercy kill. Farewell, old buddy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Rhonne posted:

they had other projects including rwby but the company was so toxic it was a ticking time bomb

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sardonik posted:

"Unprofitable Fandom" is a hell of a phrase.

may all fandoms be that unprofitable and achieve such freedom

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KingKalamari posted:

I mean to an extent I agree but I also doubt anybody would be putting serious production values behind RWBY. Comedy option RWBY had/has some actual popularity in Japan, sell it to an animation studio and bring the whole thing full circle by making an actual anime out of it.

Rhonne posted:

Presumably at some point they worked out an agreement with Microsoft that lays out what parts of the IP are RvB specific and which ones are derivative of the Halo IP, and this would just be selling the former.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they had other projects including rwby but the company was so toxic it was a ticking time bomb

No, I mean, how can they sell the RvB IP? It's just all Halo stuff. Shouldn't Microsoft just have first dibs on all that?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I'm assuming the sale pertains to the parts of the IP that aren't directly tied to Halo - Sort of like how Ken Penders has legal claim to the characters and stories he created for the Archie Sonic comics, but not to any actual Sega properties. I guess theoretically you could make a Red vs Blue thing that completely strips out the Halo elements since its plot doesn't really engage with the broader Halo universe, though admittedly I don't think there's enough there to actually justify the IP purchase.

So yeah, there's probably enough inherent to the IP to sell it, it just isn't a good buy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think rooster teeth and microsoft made a gentlemen's agreement and microsoft even hired them to do advertisements for halo

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
RvB uses Halo assets but it's its own IP.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol paying millions of dollar for rooster teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sydin posted:

I mean to an extent I agree but I also doubt anybody would be putting serious production values behind RWBY. Comedy option RWBY had/has some actual popularity in Japan, sell it to an animation studio and bring the whole thing full circle by making an actual anime out of it.

We already got that, it was even done by Shaft just in 2022.