Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Dwyean Wade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Deeighn Wade

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Dallas Mavericks made a Western Conference Final purely on the power of "hooray no more Rick Carlisle." Jason Kidd is not particularly good.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1765384088175743238?s=46

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ah just what Detroit needed, another big

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Detroit about to make a RUN

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
Gafford diving for loose balls interrupting Luka's Sad Boy Routine
https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2024/03/05/0022300892/492/93a445fd-5f03-c32a-331a-1f86a5778865_1280x720.mp4

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

they woke the dragon

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

I was just talking today about wemby matching up against most centers then he totally gets dismantled by sengun

About 5 or 6 of Sengun's misses were shots Wemby stuffed in very Wemby fashion, but Sengun was able to get him back by stripping him 5 or 6 times on the other end. Udoka had the right game plan to just attack him constantly with a "he can't block them all" mindset which got Wemby in foul trouble so Alpi got to abuse Zach Collins to really drive up his numbers. Defensively, the Rockets just swarmed Wemby all game and basically called the bluff of a 7'6 guy being able to put the ball on the floor consistently without getting stolen by NBA defenders. The game really highlighted how dismal the rest of the Spurs roster is.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/AcrossCavs/status/1765356824415326553?t=dsq2XSn2fmga92PIm8InLA&s=19

Dean "Venom" Wade

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

About 5 or 6 of Sengun's misses were shots Wemby stuffed in very Wemby fashion, but Sengun was able to get him back by stripping him 5 or 6 times on the other end. Udoka had the right game plan to just attack him constantly with a "he can't block them all" mindset which got Wemby in foul trouble so Alpi got to abuse Zach Collins to really drive up his numbers. Defensively, the Rockets just swarmed Wemby all game and basically called the bluff of a 7'6 guy being able to put the ball on the floor consistently without getting stolen by NBA defenders. The game really highlighted how dismal the rest of the Spurs roster is.

The Spurs have 3 rotation players that have any business on an NBA roster. Even then I'm suspicious of how good Sochan is and Vassell is probably more valuable off the bench.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder how many young stars would've benefited in the long run like Shai to accept being bad and only playing 40 games a year, cause that's part of why the Thunder are so stacked right now instead of rush jobbing the roster.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Of the starters, Vassell can probably eventually be a #3 guy on a good roster. Sochan is still raw and needs to keep working on his shooting. Tre Jones is maybe good enough to be a backup PG, and Julian Champagnie is at best a spot 3-and-D guy.

Tae posted:

I wonder how many young stars would've benefited in the long run like Shai to accept being bad and only playing 40 games a year, cause that's part of why the Thunder are so stacked right now instead of rush jobbing the roster.

there's a very good contrast right now between OKC and dallas

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 6, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
E: misread

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Tae posted:

How many teams draft like presti?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Pictured: Taj looking at his agent

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shinjobi posted:

The Dallas Mavericks made a Western Conference Final purely on the power of "hooray no more Rick Carlisle." Jason Kidd is not particularly good.

Kidd is actually quite bad!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

Of the starters, Vassell can probably eventually be a #3 guy on a good roster. Sochan is still raw and needs to keep working on his shooting. Tre Jones is maybe good enough to be a backup PG, and Julian Champagnie is at best a spot 3-and-D guy.

I think Vassell is on his way to being a good starter but #3 guy is maybe a stretch. He's probably going to be a "lowest usage guy who always defends the other team's best player". I think Sochan looks promising to be another good rotation/maybe low end starter. Tre is a good backup PG who you probably won't want to play more than 16 minutes and Champagnie is maybe looking like a #7 or 8 guy.

So not the worst supporting cast of all time but not really setup for long term success.

Tae posted:

OKC also got gifted a lot of really nice picks, which helped not only in selecting people but having the safety net, which makes a big difference.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Kidd is actually quite bad!

Some are saying this, many people are saying this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

spurs really need to move keldon johnson

being a shorter john collins is no way to go through life

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Presti got lucky he had Paul George on his team and George was on Kawhi's list, and Shai was on the Clippers. If Kawhi had signed with the Lakers, OKC wouldn't be in this position.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Strawberry Panda posted:

Presti got lucky he had Paul George on his team and George was on Kawhi's list, and Shai was on the Clippers. If Kawhi had signed with the Lakers, OKC wouldn't be in this position.

presti rolled the dice to trade for paul george in the first place to pair him with westbrook

this is silly

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

Do Portland fans like Simons? His numbers look alright but the team obviously isn’t good right now. But some knuckleheads on one of the Ringer podcasts said he should be a 6th man long term which seems like underselling him a bit.

Overall, yes. There are some people who are want to trade him because the fan base is tired of combo guards. The good news is he just had one of the best games of his career against Minnesota getting 34 points and 14 assists after really struggling against their length just a week prior (right after he had a kid). Teams clearly respect him, he is top 5 in blitzes and top 5 in ball gravity, which is in the elite elite offensive tier.

If you squint, you see a lot of Dame in him. They have the same skills coach. I don’t see the Blazers moving off of him until they know what have in Scoot and Sharpe. He is only 24 and his bag gets substantially better everywhere. He works just like Dame.

The 6th man stuff is silly. If he played with a big playmaker and / or in a bigger market, he would get more respect.

He, like most Blazers, has been inconsistent. The Blazers have been almost as decimated as injuries as Memphis.

Of their top-6 guys, they have all played in the same game only once. There are a few bright spots, but the season is kind of a wash.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Grayson Allen scored 28 last night and was 8/8 from 3 what the poo poo :stare:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mean Baby posted:

Overall, yes. There are some people who are want to trade him because the fan base is tired of combo guards. The good news is he just had one of the best games of his career against Minnesota getting 34 points and 14 assists after really struggling against their length just a week prior (right after he had a kid). Teams clearly respect him, he is top 5 in blitzes and top 5 in ball gravity, which is in the elite elite offensive tier.

If you squint, you see a lot of Dame in him. They have the same skills coach. I don’t see the Blazers moving off of him until they know what have in Scoot and Sharpe. He is only 24 and his bag gets substantially better everywhere. He works just like Dame.

The 6th man stuff is silly. If he played with a big playmaker and / or in a bigger market, he would get more respect.

He, like most Blazers, has been inconsistent. The Blazers have been almost as decimated as injuries as Memphis.

Of their top-6 guys, they have all played in the same game only once. There are a few bright spots, but the season is kind of a wash.

he is good and he is very injury prone

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

he is good and he is very injury prone

I think that is more due to the Blazers shutting him down to tank than anything. He missed some time this year due to a fluke injury, but the past two years the Blazers shut him down for mild injuries.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bellmaker posted:

Grayson Allen scored 28 last night and was 8/8 from 3 what the poo poo :stare:

he finished at 8/12 don't give him any credit he doesn't deserve

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
I'd like to petition NBA media to stop reporting big stat lines like 37-12-5-5 where the second 5 is 3PM. That's what the points are for! Everybody hits 3s now, it's not impressive.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Guero

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that Anfernee Simons has made genuine strides as a defender and is now merely below average which is a dramatic improvement over being one of the very worst in the league. It seems like he drives a whole lot more than he did when Dame was here? but that's eye test poo poo and I don't know if it's supported by the #s. He has way less presence than Dame and is not really presented as the face of the franchise or anything around here. He is imo infinitely more fun to watch cook than Dame because his bag seems so much deeper and when he's on his J is absolute silk. Ant heaters have been one of the primary saving graces of this busted season, he is very near the top of league leaderboard in "what the gently caress why would you shoot th- oh okay cool" shots.

His #s this season are even more impressive given the defensive attention he gets when accompanied by these garbo lineups w Scoot and Matisse etc. His contract is very reasonable and I don't think the Blazers should move him unless someone offers some gross/stupid overpay

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

why is he playing in a misprint jersey did they not have any backups?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Rick posted:

The wild part to me is that Van Exel did that thirty years ago. He was ahead of his time.

Although D'lo probably breaks it by a good 10-15 if he doesn't get hurt or play like he did in December.

https://x.com/gobby779/status/1764885316341502046

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

rivetz posted:

I'm pretty sure that Anfernee Simons has made genuine strides as a defender and is now merely below average which is a dramatic improvement over being one of the very worst in the league. It seems like he drives a whole lot more than he did when Dame was here? but that's eye test poo poo and I don't know if it's supported by the #s. He has way less presence than Dame and is not really presented as the face of the franchise or anything around here. He is imo infinitely more fun to watch cook than Dame because his bag seems so much deeper and when he's on his J is absolute silk. Ant heaters have been one of the primary saving graces of this busted season, he is very near the top of league leaderboard in "what the gently caress why would you shoot th- oh okay cool" shots.

His #s this season are even more impressive given the defensive attention he gets when accompanied by these garbo lineups w Scoot and Matisse etc. His contract is very reasonable and I don't think the Blazers should move him unless someone offers some gross/stupid overpay

Simons is dead last in defensive EPM still (well, tied with Yurtseven), so he doesn't quite have that Trae Young reputation of being a bad defender that is now improved yet.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Declan MacManus posted:

presti rolled the dice to trade for paul george in the first place to pair him with westbrook

this is silly

Intentionally silly!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

gambling loss

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Now that LBJ has joined the Warhammer 40,000 club. His next goal: 50K points, 15K rebounds, 15K assists. I don't think he'll make it.

Giannis is simply too small.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Which got me thinking, people keep talking about offense and how its out of control, and keep talking about shooting and 3 pointers being the culprit, but like... what if NBA players are just too good today? What if the quality of nba player today is so high that it is not reasonable to expect to scheme defensively for them in a way that would make scoring even comparable to what it was 10 years ago?

Yes, the baseline level of talent seems underappreciated in recent years. The modern NBA player makes really difficult things look ordinary. This is why the worst NBA team should play the best college team every year as a reminder. Almost anyone criticizing the NBA would get destroyed by that college team.

pentyne posted:

this is priceless because the prior 48 hours had been all about how the Warriors were a credible title threat and how they and the Lakers need to be feared in the West.

The play-in is proving to be the perfect invention to prop up over the hill stars like Curry and LBJ.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lmao, Lakers hate really melts peoples' brains.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Lockback posted:

Ok, so there's that little mic that the refs use when they announce a challenge/flagrant whatever, right? Is there any sort of kill switch on that or if you push down the little button do you just get piped right into the arena/TV feed?

What I'm asking is, is it in play that Pat Bev will run over and use that mic to plead his case about a foul?

When you push the button you get piped into an NBA-owned feed that the arena can also tap into. However, there will be a dude sitting there that also had controls for it, and thus can silence Pat Bev :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

nikosoft posted:

When you push the button you get piped into an NBA-owned feed that the arena can also tap into. However, there will be a dude sitting there that also had controls for it, and thus can silence Pat Bev :science:

We must stop this man