Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of my childhood memories is from the third grade, when the teachers brought us all together to tell us not to watch the filthy new cartoon show on SBS because it was very rude and full of Wrong Things.

You can work out how well informing 40-odd kids with no prior awareness that South Park existed, and what time it aired, went.

Flashbacks to when our middle school church youth group pastor showed us a video about the horrors of satanic rock music (demons! human sacrifice!). It was basically a 45-minute commercial showcasing how awesome GWAR was, which turned half of us into fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sentient Data posted:

If it's anything like previous buttcoin stuff, it means that the people who are trying to sell their butts are actually a secret evil cabal trying to manipulate the price by selling, and that means that if you buy their coins for the price they're asking you're actually defeating them in glorious battle

How is it that you have people devoted to capitalism without understanding the basic fundamentals?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Home office? It looks like a European teenager’s bedroom circa 1997

because it is. it's part of an exhibition at the national museum in prague where they show different living spaces from different eras of czech history.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They understand the basic fundamentals "All the money to one person through market manipulation, it's not a crime if you win" they just don't understand why they're not the one person.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Samovar posted:

How is it that you have people devoted to capitalism without understanding the basic fundamentals?

I'd say a shallower understanding is more conducive for a person to be a true believer of most things

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sentient Data posted:

Remember when you had living relatives who were alive before cars and planes were around? That's you now

No. And just to add some homegrown schadenfreude, I'm nearly 50 and my gran had my mother when she was 41. So how old you must be is something else.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

No. And just to add some homegrown schadenfreude, I'm nearly 50 and my gran had my mother when she was 41. So how old you must be is something else.

I'm 45 and I had more than one relative who was born before aeroplanes were "around". They did exist but they weren't around.

e: To be clear, the first airstrip in the country was built in 1918.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
41 here and i had great great grandparents who were alive until i was like 6 or so. IIRC one of them was born in the very late 1800s and two of them were extras in a silent film

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized I'm probably in the last generation who had relatives alive in the 2000s who never in their lives used the Internet in any way. Or maybe I'm thinking wrong here. I'm sure someone will correct me if so!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just realized I'm probably in the last generation who had relatives alive in the 2000s who never in their lives used the Internet in any way. Or maybe I'm thinking wrong here. I'm sure someone will correct me if so!

my mom's mom was alive until 2005 and yeah, I don't think she ever used the internet or even a computer.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
my granddad was a paratrooper in the 2nd world war and also got broadband before me. i was at his place once using his pc for something and i saw via autocomplete that he was addressing google with 'please' and 'thankyou'. i went and hugged him after

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My mom is pretty ok with phone/tablet and internet, but I'm pretty sure my last living grandparent has not touched a computer once in her life. And I'm pretty same age as you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's a good question. One of my grandparents did mechanical design work, he was using computers even before the mainstream internet came around. I doubt his wife ever touched one. The other side had a computer at their place in the post Windows 95 days, but it was really my aunt's, who lived there at the time. I'm not sure I ever saw them use it when I was visiting, definitely wasn't communicating with them by email.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samovar posted:

They're so devoted to capitalism that they tried to recreate completely pure unadulterated ultra-libertarian capitalism, unfettered by any kind of constraint or regulation or collective interest

Then they discovered why modern capitalism is so constrained and regulated (relative to the distant past, at least) by also recreating every kind of major financial disaster/scam/boondoggle/etc in history

They also added a bunch of brand new never-before-seen failures like "your money has a bug in its software that stops you from spending it" or "your money was accidentally deleted and there is no way to undelete it"

haveblue has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Mar 6, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My Grandmother is still alive (she is 95) and not only has she never used a computer or the internet, she doesn’t have a mobile phone. I have to call her landline and hope she has her hearing aid on to pick it up.

Fortunately she has family that check on her and very attentive neighbors.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

My Grandmother is still alive (she is 95) and not only has she never used a computer or the internet, she doesn’t have a mobile phone. I have to call her landline and hope she has her hearing aid on to pick it up.

Fortunately she has family that check on her and very attentive neighbors.

my grandmother has her first (burner) cellphone right now because meth heads keep stealing the copper from her land line

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

haveblue posted:

Then they discovered why modern capitalism is so constrained and regulated (relative to the distant past, at least) by also recreating every kind of major financial disaster/scam/boondoggle/etc in history

This is the one single good thing to come out of it all - with how well documented everything is, it's a hell of a petri dish to watch and write papers about. Not just financial stuff, but also psychology, cults, the speed and spread of word of mouth, detailed effects of market manipulation, and all kinds of other things

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

my grandmother has her first (burner) cellphone right now because meth heads keep stealing the copper from her land line

How's the state of Kentucky otherwise these days?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Did people have home office floors that looked like that?

I had the same KVM. gently caress.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Splorange posted:

How's the state of Kentucky otherwise these days?

she's in the city of Dallas

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://packaged-media.redd.it/6p79...d1f923c4465#t=0

https://packaged-media.redd.it/rga6...8b427458b35#t=0

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

:stare: uhhhh is that first guy ok? That's terrifying

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sywert of Thieves posted:

:stare: uhhhh is that first guy ok? That's terrifying

He's climbin' out at the end, and the video got posted, I'm assuming ok.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

both these links are throwing up 403 errors for me. what am i doing wrong??

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

Your work has a firewall rule to block reddit it seems.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yet they allow SA, the birth place of 4chan.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You get 403s when whatever opens those links for you just tosses all the garbage after the .mp4 file extension.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LifeSunDeath posted:

He's climbin' out at the end, and the video got posted, I'm assuming ok.

Found footage.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
https://i.imgur.com/OX9PwLq.mp4

If cross fit wasn’t a thing I would think this staged, but I just can’t say with any certainty if this is earnest or not.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

lobsterminator posted:

Yet they allow SA, the birth place of 4chan.

:(

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

everydayfalls posted:

If cross fit wasn’t a thing I would think this staged, but I just can’t say with any certainty if this is earnest or not.

Oh it definitely seems like Ernest.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

oddly, im on my phone, so its definitely not that!

Flipperwaldt posted:

You get 403s when whatever opens those links for you just tosses all the garbage after the .mp4 file extension.

this didnt work either, this is weird

My Spirit Otter has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Mar 6, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Assisted pullups were a thing way before Crossfit, but there's got to be a smarter way to do them than that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mister Speaker posted:

Assisted pullups were a thing way before Crossfit, but there's got to be a smarter way to do them than that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My Spirit Otter posted:

What did you try though, because I offered no suggestions.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

I have never had those work for me. I use the Android app but even when I go to Firefox and drop all the stuff after the extension, it still errors out.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

My Spirit Otter posted:

oddly, im on my phone, so its definitely not that!

I get the same thing using the Android Awful App.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^

That method isn't fool-proof either though

https://i.imgur.com/asq3vzD.mp4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

everydayfalls posted:

not every gym fail is crossfit inspired. a bunch are just plain old workplace safety incompetence instead. an ancient component of the human experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

That method isn't fool-proof either though

https://i.imgur.com/asq3vzD.mp4

What she was trying is different than what I posted a picture of. Notice he doesn't put his entire body inside the elastic band.