Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jimbot posted:

If I remember correctly, Reno doesn't show up until later on in the OG either. Tseng, Elena and Rude are the main three for a bit. But I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I played the original (something I should remedy).

From the original, you fight him on the pillar and then he doesn't return until Gongaga. When the Turks show up in the Mythril Mines, I think they mention he's been out of commission because you beat his rear end so badly on the pillar.

I don't remember if he was at a Junon bar like the others in the original though. (I think he might have been?)

So far it lines up with where he was away in the OG. I'm only just starting Corel though, so I dunno if he's missing at a later point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

LadyPictureShow posted:

From the original, you fight him on the pillar and then he doesn't return until Gongaga. When the Turks show up in the Mythril Mines, I think they mention he's been out of commission because you beat his rear end so badly on the pillar.

I don't remember if he was at a Junon bar like the others in the original though. (I think he might have been?)

So far it lines up with where he was away in the OG. I'm only just starting Corel though, so I dunno if he's missing at a later point.

Yeah he was in Junon in OG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, in the original FF7 Elena's scenes consist of:

She's recruited after Reno is injuried after Sector 7.
She's introduced in Mythril Mine where she yells at the party while Rude just looks frustrated
She briefly shows up before the Rude/Reno boss fight at Gongaga
She goes to Wutai with Rude/Reno and gets kidnapped by Don Corneo
She gets asked out by Tseng in the Temple of the Ancients
She confronts the party at Icicle Inn, blaming them for Tseng's injury, and tries to punch Cloud. (Who either dodges and she goes tumbling down an ice bank or she hits him and she asks confused why he doesn't dodge as he collapses)
She literally vanishes from the story until the raid on Midgar where she's an optional fight.

Rebirth just makes Reno's injury a bigger thing and allows her to actually do poo poo besides be kidnapped or asked out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Never thought this would happen but I’m burning myself out with all the poo poo in Junon. I can push the story and go back to all the open world stuff later right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Never thought this would happen but I’m burning myself out with all the poo poo in Junon. I can push the story and go back to all the open world stuff later right?

Yep. You'll be allowed to go back from certain areas after advancing the next area a bit, and eventually you unlock the ability to backtrack anywhere.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Finally a day off tomorrow to devote to this

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
These minigames are garbo omg square, how u messed up making fort condor boring

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I would die for my video game son

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elena was insanely bland on the original game and I really like that they turned her into a horrible little gremlin in Rebirth

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Cait Sith slides down ziplines lying down and cape flapping like he's (it's?) superman. :3: I hate how his constant lies are to my face and vocalized all the time in this version.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

If you noped out of the Queen’s Blood tournament on the cruise ship, just know that you made a terrible mistake. Everything about that was amazing.

This is incredibly true. Do the QB tourney, guys.

It's a good thing wheelies just kind of bounce harmlessly off people because otherwise everybody in Costa del Sol would have shattered shins.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
You still get the ending scenes of the tournament, even if you forfeit (tested it out in hard mode before reloading and beating everyone).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Cait Sith slides down ziplines lying down and cape flapping like he's (it's?) superman. :3: I hate how his constant lies are to my face and vocalized all the time in this version.

Cait Sith has never told a single lie in his life.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Thundarr posted:

It's a good thing wheelies just kind of bounce harmlessly off people because otherwise everybody in Costa del Sol would have shattered shins.

Queens blood rules and the haters are wrong.

But yes, I do wonder who was the psycho who put all this destructible furniture in the world and then said "let's let people ride in a town with a moped with high speeds and an awful turning radius."

I mean, the devs made the correct decision, because it's hilarious, but I wonder if Shinra started hunting them again just for the property damage alone.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

As much as I like the minigames overall, it feels like every single one of them goes right up to the line of "challenging, but fun" and then takes a huge step over it if you want the top rewards. There's only been like 1 or 2 of them so far that didn't end up massively overstaying their welcome and have me wishing for whoever designed them to be boiled in a vat of oil.

Game is still incredible though, so I'll give it a pass. Can't say it's not faithful to the original, at least.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My favorite part of the sea treasure hunt is that Chadley doesn't call me ever

... but the game's animations are still baked in such a way as to wait for the big glowing yellow WORLD INTEL COMPLETE so when I kill an enemy, everyone just stands around for five seconds before I get control back

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Augus posted:

Elena was insanely bland on the original game and I really like that they turned her into a horrible little gremlin in Rebirth

She's like Turk Yuffie, but instead of being a ninja it's being a fed

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Not a fan of queen's blood or card games in general so I skipped it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
nothing deflates the feeling of getting a new weapon more than seeing it have only one or two materia slots

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I'll tell yall one thing

If I'm choosing friends I'm choosing the people who like all the minigames. Cuz you're like me. And we like things

The hardest part of the game so far was leaving behind my seventh infantry homeboys :( qq

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taima posted:

The hardest part of the game so far was leaving behind my seventh infantry homeboys :( qq

This is why im sad that you can't return to see them again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

Not a fan of queen's blood or card games in general so I skipped it.

How do you feel about dooming the world?

Honest Thief posted:

nothing deflates the feeling of getting a new weapon more than seeing it have only one or two materia slots

All weapons get more materia slots as they grow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taima posted:

I'm holding out hope that they'll return as crew members on the Highwind in part 3

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

All weapons get more materia slots as they grow.

By how much, do you mean the skill upgrade slots? These tifa gauntlets start with one slot while my previous had four and both link slots,

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Thundarr posted:

True, although I have smashed all the planters and benches and tables I can find.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This is why im sad that you can't return to see them again.

Harrow posted:

I'm holding out hope that they'll return as crew members on the Highwind in part 3

I hope so too!!!

The thing that really sold me on the Shinra soldiers in general is how as you pass by they are doting on you like moms at a soccer game and giving you Hi-Potions (orange slices!) and they just really seem like they care about you being happy and healthy...! At no point were they anything but total sweethearts.

This game has so many amazing moments like that. It didn't have to go this hard, it really didn't. But I'm so glad it did. I get the feeling that this game might not appeal to everyone but to the specific kind of person who this game is targeted to, it's an 11 out of 10.

When I'm playing this game I feel like I'm constantly being surprised and delighted. And while the story is good it's usually the insanely detailed and loving moments in between the story beats that really get me. Games so rarely do this kind of thing anymore, ya know?

e: the closest analogy I can think of is, Yakuza 0 with an infinite budget :shrug: lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 6, 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Elena is the one that doesnt show up till later as the newbie in OG

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

By how much, do you mean the skill upgrade slots? These tifa gauntlets start with one slot while my previous had four and both link slots,

No, I mean Materia slots. They'll both gain new slots and link slots as your Weapon Upgrade Level goes up.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I just don't have the brain space for it, I'm awful at card games in general. It's good other people like it, has some great music.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, I mean Materia slots. They'll both gain new slots and link slots as your Weapon Upgrade Level goes up.

Well I'll keep these in the bag then until it gets at least three more slots.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just wish Cloud's other swords got 5 materia slots already so I don't have to equip this ugly giant purple doom sword

Kale
May 14, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

As much as I like the minigames overall, it feels like every single one of them goes right up to the line of "challenging, but fun" and then takes a huge step over it if you want the top rewards. There's only been like 1 or 2 of them so far that didn't end up massively overstaying their welcome and have me wishing for whoever designed them to be boiled in a vat of oil.

Game is still incredible though, so I'll give it a pass. Can't say it's not faithful to the original, at least.

Score perfect on the Piano thing for Star ranking and its like less than 30 minutes into the game was a bit rude yeah. Remake had that as well where the top rank was basically do the thing flawless for a few of them. The pull ups it borderline came down to do it perfect and hope the CPU has the lowest possible amount it can get which is I believe 40. Had so many ties before finally getting that and it didn't really feel worth it or like I accomplished anything other than waiting for RNG to cooperate as I had mastered the actual minigame for like an hour before that happened.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Honest Thief posted:

Well I'll keep these in the bag then until it gets at least three more slots.

Understandable, but try to learn the ability as well!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Elena gang arise

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm on team minigame but I confess I have been a little uneasy as more and more hard versions of minigames have popped up going into the final stretch, where the normal versions were about the level I was willing to put up with.

But of course, you can simply not have the brain worms

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I managed to beat the hard mode of Fort Condor, it was after I changed the difficulty to easy but I cannot confirm that was the reason why. I was also a lot more strategic (after watching some YouTube videos)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'd say half of the minigames so far were good, special mention to the piano which I enjoy playing without even making to a good rank, but the other half are bad in a way that's annoying to play, like the boxing minigame for instances.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The most frustrating part of the piano minigame is that I expect some of the trills and flourishes to be represented in the notes and prepare to do them but then they just have some simplified notes instead and I flub the combo. It's just weird playing a rhythm game for pieces I can play in real life.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Elena gang arise

We stan our tiny grenade goblin in this house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I'd say half of the minigames so far were good, special mention to the piano which I enjoy playing without even making to a good rank, but the other half are bad in a way that's annoying to play, like the boxing minigame for instances.

What's wrong with the boxing game?