Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Scaling is kinda hosed in general. e.g.

Purple scaling especially is where non-endless scaling gets real fucky. If you don't have a good engine going right when you hit ante 2 the run is already over. That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i didn't have too much issue with orange stake, but gold is just nonstop stuff like this lmao

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Phone posted:

i didn't have too much issue with orange stake, but gold is just nonstop stuff like this lmao

bullshit like that is the reason yellow deck is my only gold clear so far

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I've been skipping the obelisk up till now but I just had a run where it came up in ante 2 and I decided to try to build around it. Threw a bunch of trash high card hands at it to get that play count up till 20 or so while I was duping a bunch of queens and kings in the background. About ante 4 or 5 I swung over to doing full houses, 4 of a kind, later 5 of a kind and 5 flushes (all fairly low level, only levels 3-5 of hands) and didn't even come close to turning off my obelisk boost. Finished the run in ante 11 or 12 with the obelisk up to something on the range of a 9x multiplier. I've got new respect for it now- it's a must grab if it comes up early and you can flail around a bit to build up around it.

Still not my best run though- that was when I managed to pick up DNA, and the two jokers that scale multiplier off of the number of steel cards in deck and the number of cards you add to the deck. Continually duping a king steel red seal every round made both of those jokers deadly... But I never managed to get the blueprint that would have really sent that set to the moon.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

kind of tempted to see how far i can go with this lol

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

DaveWoo posted:

kind of tempted to see how far i can go with this lol

Toss a square joker in there and grab some high card planets and baby, you've got a stew going

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

Toss a square joker in there and grab some high card planets and baby, you've got a stew going

Neither of those things are terribly useful to double stuntman. Grab a half joker and now you're talking.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Absolutely amazing, completely brain dead run with these jokers

Abstract Joker for some initial mult, two pair for more, then blueprint next to the hologram joker. Started out doing two pairs really easily by adding copies whenever I saw a card pack, then when the burnt joker came along I just rocketed high card to the moon

Got me to ante 11 but I just missed the boss by a few thousand points

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like that violet vessel is so much harder than all the other bosses. Makes their bullshit feel reasonable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Aipsh posted:

Bought this on mac and has ruined my life again, but it was nice to steamroll the first game after the tutorial

Pro-tip, if you are getting this on mac you need upgrade to Sonoma

Expert pro-tip, if you're using an external monitor upgrading to Sonoma will absolutely gently caress up all the colour and resolution settings and it'll be difficult if not (in most cases)impossible to get back to normal, and this hasn't been fixed lol

Master pro-tip, don't get a Mac

Playing on my M1 Max MBP with an external monitor through dock and absolutely didn’t have this experience. Worked flawlessly.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

TraderStav posted:

Playing on my M1 Max MBP with an external monitor through dock and absolutely didn’t have this experience. Worked flawlessly.

The product blurb says the M1 Max MBP is designed for Pros which my 10 year old piece of poo poo is definitely not designed for

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aipsh posted:

The product blurb says the M1 Max MBP is designed for Pros which my 10 year old piece of poo poo is definitely not designed for

Think you now have your justification to upgrade. BALATRO

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Just mentioning again that the switch touchscreen implementation is ridiculously good. My joycons are drifting/broken and still got through 15 challenges in one massive travel clusterfuck after I turned them off entirely and put them away. Plus using a joyconless switch almost makes you look like a normal person.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Just found out if you put dna before vampire the copied cards will still have enhancements

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I noticed that while scoring you can drag the jokers around. I haven't tried it, but can you move the already scored joker at the left to the right and rescore? Or just a visual glitch?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

I noticed that while scoring you can drag the jokers around. I haven't tried it, but can you move the already scored joker at the left to the right and rescore? Or just a visual glitch?

No, it locks in the scoring position when you play the hand.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

No Wave posted:

Just mentioning again that the switch touchscreen implementation is ridiculously good. My joycons are drifting/broken and still got through 15 challenges in one massive travel clusterfuck after I turned them off entirely and put them away. Plus using a joyconless switch almost makes you look like a normal person.

100% this. The game feels like it was built for the Switch.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

True of the Steam Deck too, finally a game with fuckin decent touch controls I can just lazily swipe around on laying in bed

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is there a reliable way of cutting cards from decks? Trying to hope for that one loving Tarot card is no way to live.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spectral cards that destroy 5 cards to give you $20/special Aced etc..,

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Is there a reliable way of cutting cards from decks? Trying to hope for that one loving Tarot card is no way to live.

Not really, it's mainly: Hanged Man, Fool (copying a Hanged Man), Immolate or jokers like Sixth Sense.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Two tarot cards: death lets you convert a card you don't want into a card that you do, which is even better. Especially once you pull some really fancy stuff from the playing card boosters. Also, if cutting cards is your priority then try to hold onto any Fool cards you can get into your inventory and wait for a Hanged Man/Death to copy.

There are a few other ways to get rid of cards, but nothing as reliable. Spectral cards are rare and hit randomly, there are a few jokers that let you delete cards but they're much rarer than fishing for tarot cards.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, I've mostly been trying to focus on card suits instead of cutting the deck, but I figure eventually there's gonna be a challenge or situation where that's going to be useful.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The joker that lets you discard and destroy a card is the most reliable but obviously you need to be offered it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

The joker that lets you discard and destroy a card is the most reliable but obviously you need to be offered it
I feel like there are a lot of combinations like this that are awesome if you somehow get them but they're unlikely enough that it's not really worth getting one part in the hope of getting the rest

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

trading card yeah

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

you can turn cards into glass and wait for them to break, too

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Got a head start on a Magic deck by skipping for coupons, getting a free hermit (double money), then using both fools to double up again and again. My income source for the whole game was just me riding on the interest with seed money and the joker that doubles it.

Relyssa posted:

you can turn cards into glass and wait for them to break, too
This works in theory, but it can be hard to play the cards that you're trying to destroy.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've been thinking that despite a Tarot raising the rank of cards, there doesn't seem to be a way to manipulate rank downwards. I guess it'd be a downgrade, but I had a bunch of 4s earlier and I'd like to be able to make some 5s into them, for example

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I've been thinking that despite a Tarot raising the rank of cards, there doesn't seem to be a way to manipulate rank downwards. I guess it'd be a downgrade, but I had a bunch of 4s earlier and I'd like to be able to make some 5s into them, for example

Aces turn into 2. So I guess you have to go all the way around. Otherwise you just use death.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

War Wizard posted:

This works in theory, but it can be hard to play the cards that you're trying to destroy.

It's got its uses. If you're deck thinning you presumably have a rank you're strong in, so you glassify cards in ranks that you don't care about but still have a decent number of so that you can make full houses with the glass card + a matching card + 3 of your strong rank. As an added bonus this will tend to be a decent to strong scoring hand since you're adding the glass multiplier onto a full house with your good cards on top.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

It's got its uses. If you're deck thinning you presumably have a rank you're strong in, so you glassify cards in ranks that you don't care about but still have a decent number of so that you can make full houses with the glass card + a matching card + 3 of your strong rank. As an added bonus this will tend to be a decent to strong scoring hand since you're adding the glass multiplier onto a full house with your good cards on top.

This exact scenario did save my rear end from The Wall one time.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

boy i sure do love pulling canio from the soul card and then proceeding to literally never ever see a hanged man, ever

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I really think there should be a voucher that lets you destroy cards in the shop for a small fee.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The early hands in this game really suck, I'm getting kind of sick of having to restart over and over or fail runs in the low antes just because it never offers me any worthwhile jokers. There needs to be some kind of weighting towards getting a good joker offered early on, or maybe increase the base mult of level 1 hands, or lower the early blinds or something. I'm not sure how to do it without screwing up later game scaling but even on base difficulty some decks just get hosed over and over by having zero relevant jokers appear.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 6, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

The early hands in this game really suck, I'm getting kind of sick of having to restart over and over or fail runs in the low antes just because it never offers me any worthwhile jokers. There needs to be some kind of weighting towards getting a good joker offered early on, or maybe increase the base mult of level 1 hands

I keep thinking this too, but there has to be some friction or it'll just be holding R to get what you want. Then when you get what you want right away, there'll just be a new level of the start of a run sucking. Players will always get bored of whatever early game is offered. It's much less noticeable if you aren't trying to chase higher and higher stakes, which as mentioned this game kind of falls apart trying to accomplish.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Genuinely it's why Slay the Spire's Neow bonus is such a good mechanic. It's random each time, gives you a nice little bonus for the run, and disincentivizes restarts because you get a weaker bonus if you don't at least reach the act 1 boss.

Here though, yeah, sometimes I just hit the R button even if I'm not losing, just because my ante 1/2 was a little weak and I could try for something better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

I really think there should be a voucher that lets you destroy cards in the shop for a small fee.
I kindof wish card removal was a more common mechanic in general so there could be more emphasis on pruning your deck into something that can produce good hands. Seems like the better strategy is usually to just amass a constant combination of +chips/+mult/*mult on jokers so you don't care too much about what hand you're playing.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 6, 2024

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Arzaac posted:

Genuinely it's why Slay the Spire's Neow bonus is such a good mechanic. It's random each time, gives you a nice little bonus for the run, and disincentivizes restarts because you get a weaker bonus if you don't at least reach the act 1 boss.

Here though, yeah, sometimes I just hit the R button even if I'm not losing, just because my ante 1/2 was a little weak and I could try for something better.

But honestly, this doesn't hurt the game as much as it could because it's such a condensed experience compared to other card builders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a pretty rude gently caress you to shove The Plant into the Mad World challenge

Just an instant lose if it doesn't give you the reroll option lol