Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The best adaptation of Wheel of Time so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ProperCauldron posted:

and MSN.com news is built into pretty much every Windows install out there. this is why all your coworkers are confused morons

This is literally how I saw this. I was trying to connect to my VPN and accidentally clicked the MSN landing page/news thing that you can't get rid of at the bottom right corner of Windows.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lifespan posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1765397025967710542

Uh-oh, Trump is going to have to target a different piggy bank

I believe him. Instead, he just spent 44 billion dollars to take over a social media network under the guise of “his politics are unknowable” in order to promote trump

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its because the news media realizes they get better engagement saying stuff like "Trump possibly will win" rather than "Trump has a trashfire of a campaign and Biden is going to win".

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

ProperCauldron posted:

and MSN.com news is built into pretty much every Windows install out there. this is why all your coworkers are confused morons

Granted, I am not American but I dunno anyone who uses it. The only reason I know it's there is apparently I drift bottom left with the mouse by default.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Haley dropped out lmao

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Hollismason posted:

I'm absolutely 100% better off today than I was four years ago.

skill issue

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Data Graham posted:

Loly gently caress, yeah "no I'm not donating the statutorily capped $2450 or w/e to either candidate's election fund" *wires $500 million to cayman islands account*

I'm so happy I can just write off my entire opinion of Elon Musk as, "bad gambler who fell down the fascism staircase"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The right-wing stories from dubious sources named things like "DAILY PATRIOT TELEGRAPH" or "MONEYFEED BLOG" probably get a ton of clicks. Just imagine how many older conservative Internet users just open up a tab and spend hours on scrolling through it rather than navigating to specific news sources. That would require using a search engine or actually typing in a URL which is way too advanced for these people

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

This is literally how I saw this. I was trying to connect to my VPN and accidentally clicked the MSN landing page/news thing that you can't get rid of at the bottom right corner of Windows.

The News and Interests one by the system tray? You can definitely turn that off.

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

Frank Frank posted:

2) (I am not making this up) ACCORDING TO BETFAIR.COM after the SCOTUS ruled that Trump can stay on the CO ballot. I repeat, I am not making this up.

Known political poller BETFAIR.COM has weighed in, time to call the race for TMURP and offer total exoneration

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

To anyone wondering why Joe Biden’s approval/disapproval numbers are where they are:

the entire mass media either misrepresenting data, actively ballooning minor negative bullshit, or outright not reporting when either of the above can’t be done.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Monica Bellucci posted:

Granted, I am not American but I dunno anyone who uses it. The only reason I know it's there is apparently I drift bottom left with the mouse by default.

That MSN news panel is hateful and has killed me in 6 nuclear wars by now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cthulu Carl posted:

The News and Interests one by the system tray? You can definitely turn that off.

Yeah I just saw this actually. If you click the settings in the top right then select 'show or hide feeds' then disable 'microsoft start' it removes all of that loving poo poo. I still have the stock ticker and weather and stuff but all of the news feeds get removed. This also takes out the sports scores but eh I can just google that poo poo.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Lifespan posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1765397025967710542

Uh-oh, Trump is going to have to target a different piggy bank

Of course he isn't. The economy is chugging along and the dark money is flowing like water into the hull of a sinking russian ship. Bitcoin mysteriously at all time highs. Musk will filter a few hundred million to whoever Putin thinks he can buy through the cryptocoin channels and superpacs. Musk wont give anything personally, he'd much rather have plausible deniability.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I once spent a week going through the windows start bar news feed and blocking every single source that wasn't one of about a dozen sources I read on the regular. I blocked probably thousands of sources, and new, crazier ones kept popping up. Occasionally the whole process would freeze when I tried to refresh the page to bring up new sources to block, but after an hour or so a new flood of garbage came in.

More than copilot, this "feature" in windows made me seriously consider ditching windows complete (yes I know I can turn it off, and I have). There's no quality control at microsoft at all, they'll take anyone's money to jam their crazy AI written conspiracy blogs into the top of feeds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Frank Frank posted:

It's been 84 years and I still can't loving believe loving Microsoft bought its way into one of the big three broadcasters and we're still stuck with the name today

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/status/1765438467146756503

sounds like if he didnt pull it at the last min, he wouldnt have another chance or something. i have alot of issues with fetterman now but he doesnt strike me as anti LGBTQ chud.
I'm surprised to hear that Fetterman of all people has been a dissapointment for the people of Pennsylvania.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sedgr posted:

Of course he isn't. The economy is chugging along and the dark money is flowing like water into the hull of a sinking russian ship. Bitcoin mysteriously at all time highs. Musk will filter a few hundred million to whoever Putin thinks he can buy through the cryptocoin channels and superpacs. Musk wont give anything personally, he'd much rather have plausible deniability.

You are making Musk seem way more competent than he actually is.

Elon will make hundreds of posts about how pure evil the Democrats are and nothing more

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Randalor posted:

The only reason extraterrestrial life hasn't tried to make contact with us is because they keep waiting for us to wipe ourselves out.

This has suspiciously strong "Why no, I don't know where Trump got the money to pay off his lawsuits shortly after meeting with me. No you may not see my bank statements" vibes. So Trump will "coincidentally" find half a billion dollars in change in the couch cushions at Mar a Lago soon, right?

Trump keeps loose stacks of cash in the bathroom, next to a bunch of boxes where the words MY PRESIDENT STUFF is written above a crossed out CLASSIFIED label

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Fetterman loving sucks and i'm tired of people cosplaying as progressive until they get elected then taking the mask off.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

To anyone wondering why Joe Biden’s approval/disapproval numbers are where they are:

the entire mass media either misrepresenting data, actively ballooning minor negative bullshit, or outright not reporting when either of the above can’t be done.

Making it a news story every time an illegal immigrant commits a crime is a tried and tested strategy going back hundreds of years that will surely rile up your base. It's so easy.

Out of nowhere the other day I actually saw a story that discussed how decades of research by criminologists has actually shown immigrants commit less crime and the majority of comments were "That data is bullshit!" You can't win with data.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

kazil posted:

Elon will make hundreds of posts about how pure evil the Democrats are and nothing more

You left do his bodyweight in ket.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Making it a news story every time an illegal immigrant commits a crime is a tried and tested strategy going back hundreds of years that will surely rile up your base. It's so easy.

Out of nowhere the other day I actually saw a story that discussed how decades of research by criminologists has actually shown immigrants commit less crime and the majority of comments were "That data is bullshit!" You can't win with data.

Like that old Stewart Lee bit about the racist taxi driver: "well, yeah, but you can prove anything with facts"

_____!
May 2, 2004

No horny trad posting.:colbert:

Cthulu Carl posted:

He'll add trading it for Greenland to his platform

Green Mountains for Green Lands; a fair trade bing bong so simple!

_____! fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 6, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Fetterman loving sucks and i'm tired of people cosplaying as progressive until they get elected then taking the mask off.

Given how hard that hit AOC I'm pretty sure a part of it is getting screwed by how bad things are systemically. We've definitely seen them specifically change, sometimes very fast, from bright-eyed idealism to seemingly browbeaten apparatus members. It sounds like the transition is so embarrassing to know of that it's hard to talk about. I'm going to couple my vague understandings of dark money and corruption, and presume that being an "outsider" or iconoclast can result in bad things happening or lack of campaign funding.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

kazil posted:

The dude bought Twitter out of spite.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol stop idealizing politicians they all suck

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Counted posted:

Known political poller BETFAIR.COM has weighed in, time to call the race for TMURP and offer total exoneration

I had a great deal of schadenfreude when I saw chuds going ballistic about lost bets on Trmpu in 2020. So many of them thought that it was a fraud and the betting companies would have to pay them back when Purtm took his place as the Real President of America (TM).

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Waffle House posted:

Given how hard that hit AOC I'm pretty sure a part of it is getting screwed by how bad things are systemically. We've definitely seen them specifically change, sometimes very fast, from bright-eyed idealism to seemingly browbeaten apparatus members. It sounds like the transition is so embarrassing to know of that it's hard to talk about. I'm going to couple my vague understandings of dark money and corruption, and presume that being an "outsider" or iconoclast can result in bad things happening or lack of campaign funding.

It's not as upsetting with AOC because overall shes still been solid on major issues and is still way left of many democrats. She has her failings but I never expect to agree with any politician 100% of the time.

Fetterman is a bit different though, he straight up came out last December saying "i'm not a progressive, people just assumed i was" despite the fact that you can still search through his twitter and find a million "We're building a progressive movement! Being progressive is one of my core values!" posts. He isn't Sinema levels mask off, but he 100% continually called himself progressive and hyped up folks until he was elected.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol stop idealizing politicians they all suck

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

John Fetterman must be stopped at all costs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Toxic Mental posted:

John Fetterman must be stopped at all costs
Big job

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm unfettermanned and my rage knows no bounds

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
If Fetterman had this project yanked as a strategic move to keep it alive in later appropriation dealmaking, then that's just doing his job. But I would have expected that as an answer when this first was raised, rather than his saying "wat i didn't agree to that". It comes off as either a backpedal or some obscure thing about Senate appropriations that his staff is navigating without his knowledge, and neither is a good look. Being a senator isn't like being Mayor of Nowhere or in a powerless Lt Gov position.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It's not as upsetting with AOC because overall shes still been solid on major issues and is still way left of many democrats. She has her failings but I never expect to agree with any politician 100% of the time.

Fetterman is a bit different though, he straight up came out last December saying "i'm not a progressive, people just assumed i was" despite the fact that you can still search through his twitter and find a million "We're building a progressive movement! Being progressive is one of my core values!" posts. He isn't Sinema levels mask off, but he 100% continually called himself progressive and hyped up folks until he was elected.

I'm just trying to imagine the full depths of what we joke about as, "mask-off," and I can see it being a lovecraftian abyss in many ways. Between things like funding moguls telling you "it is a privilege for you to serve me" and ostensible dogmatics like Greg Abbott who have strong opinion on things like prison uniforms, but have entrenched themselves as a living, breathing, avatar of apparatus, it sounds like a loving nightmare.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Waffle House posted:

Lmao imagine running for office and being this naive.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If Fetterman had this project yanked as a strategic move to keep it alive in later appropriation dealmaking, then that's just doing his job. But I would have expected that as an answer when this first was raised, rather than his saying "wat i didn't agree to that". It comes off as either a backpedal or some obscure thing about Senate appropriations that his staff is navigating without his knowledge, and neither is a good look. Being a senator isn't like being Mayor of Nowhere or in a powerless Lt Gov position.

agreed. while i may have been wrong w/r/t my prior statement, it is nevertheless a big issue and we must unite to take down the ogre

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I'm not better off financially than I was 4 years ago but mental health-wise I am way way better.

Plus because of Biden I have a handle on my student loans and may have them forgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Beefed Owl posted:

I'm not better off financially than I was 4 years ago but mental health-wise I am way way better.

Plus because of Biden I have a handle on my student loans and may have them forgiven.

I'm sending you the most positive LOL, respectfully.