Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Scintilla - Is the building in Hex 2129 a hardened or heavy building? I'm outside and can't be sure due to the bright glare on my phone.

Also, adding the standard CF to the bottom of the map legend would be convenient in upcoming maps with a lot of buildings. Right now I have to check back to post zero of this mission to confirm building CF.

The building is heavy. I'll also be sure to include CFs in the legend in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

comedy option: shoot the building hex and do 36 to 39 damage, which will trigger a collapse but also the math rounds up for one more point of damage (6 vs 5). then the 3-height fall will do 24 dmg

Just a heads-up, this does not seem to be possible - there aren't any hexes within the Victor's movement range that would give it LOS to building hex 2129. It can shoot the Griffin, but not the hex it's standing on.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Boo!

Oh well, we'll just have to shoot the enemy like normal, boring MechWarrior.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Orders in. Jumping up and shooting at the GRF.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbk: i guess i can either step back onto the goblin and stomp on it and pew pew at the grf and probably get sniped to death or run down the alley and shoot at the grf idk

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Submitted to 2127, 1LL and 1ML at the GRF.

Captain Foo posted:

hbk: i guess i can either step back onto the goblin and stomp on it and pew pew at the grf and probably get sniped to death or run down the alley and shoot at the grf idk
I say stomp on the Goblin and keep it moving. Show the GRF your left side.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
That was a very improbable shot. Not quite :battletech:, but definitely decisive.

Edit: Okay, we've reached a point where the OpFor has basically no chance of winning. Is everyone okay with ending the mission now, or do you guys want to keep going for another couple of turns?

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 6, 2024

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I am good with wrapping up now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Otter Madness posted:

I am good with wrapping up now

Especially because i probably missed my submission window if scintilla is calculating shots, oops

😬

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Captain Foo posted:

Especially because i probably missed my submission window if scintilla is calculating shots, oops

😬

Don't worry, the OpFor missed all their shots this turn anyway.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah I'm good wrapping it up.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's time for the Taurians to do an incursion and shoot up everything.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So, um... CGI-rendered cutscene?

Think this one would be about right (We're the bad guys in this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWxgLQZano

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: Turn 17

It was strange, Roger reflected, how lifelike battlemechs could occasionally be. Over his long career he had seen mechs shrug, flinch, shake their heads and even drum their fingers against their thighs. Neurohelmets were sensitive devices, and often picked up even the subliminal impulses and reflexive actions of their wearers. A battlemech’s DI Computer would normally detect such unconscious motions and block them before they could be expressed, but the technology was imperfect and involuntary actions occasionally slipped through.

As Etienne’s Griffin stumbled backwards its left arm drifted towards the gaping hole in its right side, much like an injured man might reflexively clutch at a sudden gunshot wound. Coolant sprayed like blood from the mech’s ruined flank, coating the palace’s roof in a thin layer of steaming slime. As the Griffin staggered back its heel struck a decorative awning, robbing it of the last of its balance. Etienne twisted as he fell, protecting his damaged right side at the expense of his left.

Looking down on the scene, Roger permitted himself a moment of satisfaction before marching his Victor over to where the Griffin lay. The last shot had been a bit of a Hail Mary, taken at the apex of the assault mech’s ascent. The wild burst had been meant to cover Roger's landing, but the stream of shells had wound up striking the Griffin directly. As Etienne struggled to stand, Roger thrust the still smoking barrel of his AC/20 towards the mech's cockpit. The stars had aligned for his first shot, but at such close range the second would need no such luck.

“It’s over, highness.” Roger said softly. A series of thuds punctuated his words as Archibald’s Blackjack strode across the roof and aimed its own guns at the Griffin’s prostrate form.

“Goddamn it,” Etienne sighed, though he sounded more tired than angry. He inhaled slowly, then said, “So how did I screw it all up this time?”

“Actually, your strategy was mostly sound. Hit-and-run tactics and attritional warfare are valid stratagems when fighting in an urban environment.” Roger raised his Victor’s scarred and battle-worn arms for emphasis. “You see? We have sustained a fair amount of damage. Had you not lost Cosette so early, and had Jean-Paul shown a little more restraint, this engagement might have played out quite differently.”

No orders received for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player): GM takes control.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 10: Misses!

Weapons fire for Victor VTR-9B (Player):
-Fires AC/20 at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 11: Hits Right Torso! Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) takes 20 damage to Right Torso, 0/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Fires Small Laser at Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 10: 4 Missiles Hit! Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Rear (18/20 Armour remaining), Rear (16/20 Armour remaining), Rear (14/20 Armour remaining (Motive System Hit!)) and Rear (12/20 Armour remaining).
--Chance For Motive System Damage! Heavy Damage, +3 to Driving Skill rolls, MP Halved!

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Wyvern WVE-6N (Player); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Wyvern WVE-6N (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers):
-Fires SRM-6 at Victor VTR-9B (Player); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Victor VTR-9B (Player); needs 12, rolls 11: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Victor VTR-9B (Player); needs 12, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Victor VTR-9B (Player); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!

--

Piloting checks for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 5: Fails!
-Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) falls on its left, suffering 5 damage to Left Leg (13/18 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Centre Torso (19/20 Armour remaining).
--Pilot Etienne Decimis must roll 6+ to avoid damage. Rolls 10: Succeeds!

Physical attacks for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Kicks Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 7: Hits Left Side! Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Left Side, 9/24 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Hit in Vehicle Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Crew Stunned!

Physical attacks for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Kicks Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) gains 22 heat, sinks 22 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Victor VTR-9B (Player) gains 14 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wyvern WVE-6N (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 18 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 7 heat. Overheating!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Dodge: Enables the pilot to make a dodge manoeuvre instead of a physical attack, inflicting a +2 accuracy penalty against enemy physical attacks during the melee phase.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Rangemaster: Range modifiers for long and short range are switched.
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso one hex further than usual.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.
-Poor Workmanship: The unit takes a +1 penalty on critical rolls.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Eliminate enemy commander (Etienne Decimis) (1/1) Complete!
-Destroy at least four Fusilier battlemechs (4/4) Complete!

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (50,000 C-Bill reward) Complete!
-Destroy City Militia Base (100,000 C-Bill reward) Complete!
-Destroy Militia Fuel Depot (150,000 C-Bill reward) Complete!

Mission accomplished! Congratulations to the players for slugging their way through the city, especially poor Captain Foo who had to do it all without jump jets. I’ll get to work on the AAR right away, and this time there will also be a vote on what to do with the Active Probe / Black Knight wreck. As always, please vote for both Player and OpFor MVPs while that’s going on.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

o7

Sorry for missing the last set of orders but at least there was enough discussion to get a reasonable move represented

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

OPFOR MVP is the Goblin, it lived for far too long.

Player MVP is the refinery, that was a beautiful lesson in should not have been standing there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scintilla posted:

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!

Hunchback 4P!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SIGSEGV posted:

OPFOR MVP is the Goblin, it lived for far too long.

Player MVP is the refinery, that was a beautiful lesson in should not have been standing there.

Voting this

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Goblin for opfor, Victor for players. That was a perfect game ender, in addition to plenty of ‘Jumpy AC20s are bad news’ spice throughout.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Goblin for opfor, Victor for players. That was a perfect game ender, in addition to plenty of ‘Jumpy AC20s are bad news’ spice throughout.

yeah, this is my vote

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'm voting for the VTR as our MVP as that AC/20 hit those lights like a truck and took them off the board in addition to just wrecking everything it hit.

On the other hand, the Goblin barely did anything. My vote has to go to Etienne. His perch and sniper abilities completely dominated our decisions from beginning to end. No other OPFOR had that kind of impact short of the Hetzer. When time comes for this mission to go hot, I'll be glad he's on our side as long as we can keep him back and on a hilltop.

Overall for the Aurigan troops - They came in piecemeal and got overwhelmed by localized superior firepower. Had they instead coalesced their 'Mechs and let the vehicles suicide to buy time, they could have put up a much better fight. They got really close to clipping the important bits off our two heavy hitters. If they could have focused fire on them, it would have been a heavy loss for us.

For our side - We did the right thing. Worked together as a Lance to make sure we locally overpowered our chosen target and defeated them in detail.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also (in-universe) kudos to Etienne along the path of 'noble brat' to 'ow I suck I gotta get better'. For all his arrogance to start with kiddo is learning. Which is what our job is. Temper the locals and train them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

I'm voting for the VTR as our MVP as that AC/20 hit those lights like a truck and took them off the board in addition to just wrecking everything it hit.

On the other hand, the Goblin barely did anything. My vote has to go to Etienne. His perch and sniper abilities completely dominated our decisions from beginning to end. No other OPFOR had that kind of impact short of the Hetzer. When time comes for this mission to go hot, I'll be glad he's on our side as long as we can keep him back and on a hilltop.

Overall for the Aurigan troops - They came in piecemeal and got overwhelmed by localized superior firepower. Had they instead coalesced their 'Mechs and let the vehicles suicide to buy time, they could have put up a much better fight. They got really close to clipping the important bits off our two heavy hitters. If they could have focused fire on them, it would have been a heavy loss for us.

For our side - We did the right thing. Worked together as a Lance to make sure we locally overpowered our chosen target and defeated them in detail.

actually yeah the real mvp is this

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Good job for the OP, for actually writing out our Etienne's journey from "rear end in a top hat liability" to "competent ally".

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

SIGSEGV posted:

Amechwarrior posted:

My vote has to go to Etienne. His perch and sniper abilities completely dominated our decisions from beginning to end. No other OPFOR had that kind of impact short of the Hetzer. When time comes for this mission to go hot, I'll be glad he's on our side as long as we can keep him back and on a hilltop.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Seconded

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
For OPFOR, I will go with Etienne. Maybe a little too passive, but still a big influence.

For us, can I vote for my SRM4, as gauche as that is. Took the Hunchback off the table and mobility killed the Hetz.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Otter Madness posted:

Etienne. Maybe a little too passive, but still a big influence.

This is a big part of why I didn't vote for him. The 'fleet in being' of threatening to fight was completely circumvented by the players using the terrain and defeating his forces in detail. A turret atop that building closes down the big obvious approach, but the isolation of the unit cuts both ways. Using spotters was good, but that was spotting for a single LRM10. A lone griffin isn't enough for the role he was trying to use it in, and by doing so he had less impact on the actual fight, on top of the virtual suppression being easy to circumvent.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

This is a big part of why I didn't vote for him. The 'fleet in being' of threatening to fight was completely circumvented by the players using the terrain and defeating his forces in detail. A turret atop that building closes down the big obvious approach, but the isolation of the unit cuts both ways. Using spotters was good, but that was spotting for a single LRM10. A lone griffin isn't enough for the role he was trying to use it in, and by doing so he had less impact on the actual fight, on top of the virtual suppression being easy to circumvent.

I feel like this is the lesson that Etienne is learning. He did the first half right, denying us the centre of the map, but then he spent a lot of time doing nothing while we mulched his team piecemeal. He definitely needed to be more direct with his fire support.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm pretty sure that what he needed was an Archer and an Awesome sitting up there with him.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, unfortunately, he's kinda destroyed his own prospects by picking up Range Master (Long).

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, unfortunately, he's kinda destroyed his own prospects by picking up Range Master (Long).

Full disclosure - I've been partly using this series of missions to experiment with various SPAs, since I've rarely used them before now. In retrospect I probably should have given him Sniper instead.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
"Etienne realises that all the training at long range wasn't helping him, and he'd rather work at firing his PPC. He loses range master (long) and gains sniper"

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

long range rhymes w/ 'wrong range'(bracket)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Scintilla posted:

Full disclosure - I've been partly using this series of missions to experiment with various SPAs, since I've rarely used them before now. In retrospect I probably should have given him Sniper instead.

There is no one to challenge your retcon but you!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Theoretically Rangemaster (Long) should have some pretty great synergy with Oblique Attacker. Being able to launch indirect attacks without needing a spotter, and with a +0 long range penalty has the potential to be absolutely filthy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

Theoretically Rangemaster (Long) should have some pretty great synergy with Oblique Attacker. Being able to launch indirect attacks without needing a spotter, and with a +0 long range penalty has the potential to be absolutely filthy.

I say don’t retcon eteienne

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I don't think he should become perfect. Leave the flawed ability as it creates a more interesting dynamic when he's on the field. If/when we fight along side him, we'll need to play along with it and keep him protected from short range.

Given the Aurigan Reach's lore I doubt he'll get something like an Archer or heavier. But if he also gained the Oblique Attacker, a Trebuchet would be fitting. As he is now, a 3x srm6 Kintaro or any Hunchback would be crazy. Imagine him hitting 6-7 to-hits on an AC/20 at 9 hexes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

I don't think he should become perfect. Leave the flawed ability as it creates a more interesting dynamic when he's on the field. If/when we fight along side him, we'll need to play along with it and keep him protected from short range.

This is what i was thinking but expressed better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

I've always thought that RMM long was a little underrated(there was a good discussion about it in the PTN alpha strike thread) (and thats in a ruleset where range bands are sort of homogenous), and I don't think I've ever seen used to its full power.

The way its worded is sort of contradictory to how it should be used; It is not, in fact, an accuracy bonus. its a defensive one.

a +1/-1 bonus on 2d6 is roughly 8-10%, but if it crosses the golden zone of TN 7 or 8, its worth about half again as much in terms of pure odds :xcom:

What it lets you do is fight someone at medium range (+2) while they fight you at long.(+4). It isn't an accuracy bonus, its a bracket skirmisher's buffer shield.
Another comparison might be think of it as an invisible riot/ballistic shield you take with you, since you're less worried about always getting into that forest hex for the +1 defense all the time

Most of the time its not used like that, if at all.

While it does have its uses on a backline/immobile sniper (like, say, an lrm carrier), I think it has more use on something heavier like a warhammer or regent as a way to effectively boost its defensive TMM and stretch out its hp (d I wish we'd gotten a chance to play around with those in the other thread)

I also think it should be cheaper tho, since it is same-costed as range master medium and not nearly as impactful.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 7, 2024