Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1765242934511759867

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao eat poo poo elon

also nice "I'll tell you which way to vote and whats in your best interests" paternalism :rolleyes:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao eat poo poo elon

also nice "I'll tell you which way to vote and whats in your best interests" paternalism :rolleyes:

yes but have you considered that Elon is one of the few celebrities to commentate other celebrities and earn the respect of the meme community

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The real reason Elon wants ai personality clones is so he can have Dick Clark declare that he is the real smartest child in America

Elon musk confirmed fishmech?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
maybe noted ivf hobbyist elon musk should not be pushing for more and more conservative condidates everywhere he goes

if they ban ivf and surrogacy, he'll have to impregnate women by ... loving them? ew!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

tacodaemon posted:

yes but have you considered that Elon

absolutely not

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EricBauman posted:

maybe noted ivf hobbyist elon musk should not be pushing for more and more conservative condidates everywhere he goes

if they ban ivf and surrogacy, he'll have to impregnate women by ... loving them? ew!

eh hell just go do it in canada or whatever

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
ya, you'd think elon would have something to say about ivf getting banned but he's been surprisingly quiet on that, i wonder why

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

is it because government policy changes don’t really apply to the rich?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

he wont care 🤣🤣🤣

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

Elon truly is the new Henry Ford.

In all the ways.

no way

ford: cars that worked, friends with hitler

elon: cars don't work, desperate for attention from groypers

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kenny Logins posted:

few pages ago now but the ev6 definitely has me driving faster than usual even on econ mode. i think it’s partly because it’s awd and genuinely has a lot of goose to it, but the lack of engine sound is definitely part of it too. it’s also numeric speedometer so not seeing a needle move might be involved
I still haven't driven an EV of any kind myself, but I've heard a few automotive journalists note that they find themselves naturally driving a lot more aggressively when in EVs. They associate it with basically those same two factors you mentioned.

The silence means not only do they have less of a perception of speed than in an ICE vehicle but they also draw less unwanted negative attention from the general public. Do a stoplight to stoplight pull in a Hellcat and you have the attention of everyone within a few blocks, where the same pull in an EV would only be noticed by the people who were looking at it. The sense of shame that stops most of us from flooring it around the city in ICE cars doesn't apply in the same way.

The low-end torque and immediate response also change the math on taking openings in traffic which results in going after much smaller gaps than one might in an ICE car.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

wolrah posted:

I still haven't driven an EV of any kind myself, but I've heard a few automotive journalists note that they find themselves naturally driving a lot more aggressively when in EVs. They associate it with basically those same two factors you mentioned.

The silence means not only do they have less of a perception of speed than in an ICE vehicle but they also draw less unwanted negative attention from the general public. Do a stoplight to stoplight pull in a Hellcat and you have the attention of everyone within a few blocks, where the same pull in an EV would only be noticed by the people who were looking at it. The sense of shame that stops most of us from flooring it around the city in ICE cars doesn't apply in the same way.

The low-end torque and immediate response also change the math on taking openings in traffic which results in going after much smaller gaps than one might in an ICE car.

my prius has the usual "pwr"/"eco" toggles and some of it is just how responsive the car is too. in eco mode everything is dampened so you have to press the pedal harder to make it move faster and it's a little slower to accellerate

i leave it on pretty much all the time unless i'm driving on the freeway. with it off i definitely notice myself accelerating faster and staying at higher speeds because that's just where the car likes to sit

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I only use sport mode for merging. gimme that sweet economy. I got 52mpg the other day.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

"my probability assessment of blah blah blah" what a tedious loving rear end in a top hat. just say you don't think it's gonna work like a normal person

the context is obviously "the probability is 0%, unless i, elon musk, the world's smartest, richest, most handsome and indispensable man, am in control of the company"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol afaict that means he's 0 for 2 in endorsements

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Silver Alicorn posted:

I only use sport mode for merging. gimme that sweet economy. I got 52mpg the other day.

I get 45mpg in my ICE car but it’s also a piece of poo poo in every other possible way except its stereo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Silver Alicorn posted:

the best i ever ended up getting was about 60mpg on a trip from work back home (~10mi) but it involved a lot of downhills and luck with lights and coasting. usually i just get 32-36

Large Testicles posted:

I get 45mpg in my ICE car but it’s also a piece of poo poo in every other possible way except its stereo

every car is a piece of poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Zamujasa posted:

every car is a piece of poo poo

my car is good actually

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh while i was on bullshit probation i finally drove the model 3 for a bit before dad got rid of it on sunday. i agree with sagebrush, other than the stupid controls and dumbass touch screen it's mostly fine

i found the one-pedal mode to be pretty annoying since i generally drive automatics in manual mode if available (so i take my foot off of the accelerator when i get to the rpm i want to be at). it's not terribly difficult to adapt to but if i owned the car i would have it disabled

otherwise it's fine i guess, real fast off the line of course (and it was not the dual motor one). kinda handles like a bmw 3 series or mercedes c class if you enable sport mode steering — otherwise it's not terribly responsive, more like some of the crappier cars i've driven (dodge nitro, etc)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Wow, admin sass right out of the gate. Mods?

(jk wb beefy!)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cmon it was only a probe, dont drive a tesla over it. lifes worth living!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beeftweeter posted:

oh while i was on bullshit probation i finally drove the model 3 for a bit before dad got rid of it on sunday. i agree with sagebrush, other than the stupid controls and dumbass touch screen it's mostly fine

i found the one-pedal mode to be pretty annoying since i generally drive automatics in manual mode if available (so i take my foot off of the accelerator when i get to the rpm i want to be at). it's not terribly difficult to adapt to but if i owned the car i would have it disabled

otherwise it's fine i guess, real fast off the line of course (and it was not the dual motor one). kinda handles like a bmw 3 series or mercedes c class if you enable sport mode steering — otherwise it's not terribly responsive, more like some of the crappier cars i've driven (dodge nitro, etc)

it's a different kind of k car

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

(jk wb beefy!)

thanks jonny

Carthag Tuek posted:

you were all deprived of my excellent posts for three whole days. its more of a collective punishment really

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

my prius has the usual "pwr"/"eco" toggles and some of it is just how responsive the car is too. in eco mode everything is dampened so you have to press the pedal harder to make it move faster and it's a little slower to accellerate

i leave it on pretty much all the time unless i'm driving on the freeway. with it off i definitely notice myself accelerating faster and staying at higher speeds because that's just where the car likes to sit

oh is that the difference? I am extremely basic and just keep it in eco because "that's better for the planet right?"

I do find myself making use of the better torque to jump through gaps in the traffic tho, even if it does get a little VRRRRMMy because I will at least not hold up the person I just jumped in front of

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAUXTON posted:

it's a different kind of k car

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
eco mode on every single car i've tried with one (not any recent priuses, but the 2nd gen too) just reduces the available engine power and generally makes it shift up at extremely low rpm

which kinda seems antithetical to it being more economical to me? afaik a constant rpm would be more efficient than constantly changing gears, no?

note i am not in any way a mechanic and know next to nothing about how engines work, so that might be a very stupid assumption/completely wrong understanding

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh this is eco mode in an automatic hybrid, so I usually just keep it as close to the "charging" section of the rev meter for the speed I'm trying to go, but when I'm taking off from a stop I just do what I can to get to a decent speed without going too far into the "non-eco" section of said meter

for those that don't use them there's like "charging the battery" -> "battery with ICE if you're on a hill" -> "mostly ICE but some battery" -> ICE

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i just push the pedal and the car goes. the eco button makes driving feel better to me and i don't give a poo poo about the actual mileage since it's only deviated from the usual range when i'm taking it on a road trip or w/e.

Beeftweeter posted:

eco mode on every single car i've tried with one (not any recent priuses, but the 2nd gen too) just reduces the available engine power and generally makes it shift up at extremely low rpm

which kinda seems antithetical to it being more economical to me? afaik a constant rpm would be more efficient than constantly changing gears, no?

note i am not in any way a mechanic and know next to nothing about how engines work, so that might be a very stupid assumption/completely wrong understanding

mine has a cvt so it doesnt quite "switch gears". that said it doesn't have a tachometer so it's not like i can tell where it's at.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

No I don't think that was a probe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
if you're talking about, like, a PHEV then i can easily see wanting to use the electric motor from a stop. that torque definitely gets you going way faster off the line than most ICE cars, but only to a point. i've never driven a PHEV (or a normal hybrid where you could exclusively use the electric motor), but i noticed in the model 3 that it'll only get you to about 20 mph or so before you need to put more pressure on the pedal to start going faster than that

like i said though i don't really have a basis for comparison there, other than torque-y ICE cars. and i've certainly driven my fair share of those (the minis all provide a very surprising amount of torque for their size/displacement), but perhaps unsurprisingly it's not really the same. i mean, i didn't really expect it to be exactly the same of course, but it's more different than i thought it'd be

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lower rpm is more efficient now that we have fuel injection. Used to be with carbs the mix was rich on the low end but nowadays engines measure the air very accurately and inject just enough fuel to provide the amount of power desired via pedal input. Also internal friction goes up with like the square or cube of rpm or something

the miat has a little "current and recommended gear" display on the dash and it'll tell me to go into 6th when im already loafing at 35 in 4th. its dialed in for efficiency, not power. everybody kinda laughs at it, but its nice to have i suppose

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

lower rpm is more efficient now that we have fuel injection. Used to be with carbs the mix was rich on the low end but nowadays engines measure the air very accurately and inject just enough fuel to provide the amount of power desired via pedal input. Also internal friction goes up with like the square or cube of rpm or something

the miat has a little "current and recommended gear" display on the dash and it'll tell me to go into 6th when im already loafing at 35 in 4th. its dialed in for efficiency, not power. everybody kinda laughs at it, but its nice to have i suppose

hmm interesting

but yeah, in the mini you can easily do 40 in 2nd without redlining it (it gets kinda close though, about 6k, but it won't auto-switch you up until 9.5k). in regular "drive" full auto mode it puts you in 5th @ 40 mph though, and as you can imagine that cuts into available torque quite a bit. in eco mode you'd be in 6th @ 40. "sports" mode kinda splits the difference and puts you in 3rd @ 40

i guess it's a lot simpler in the mini than most other cars though. my dad was flipping through the cx30 manual since he just got one, and apparently on that the eco mode shuts off two cylinders

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cylinder deactivation's kinda wack as a concept, but they're less bad at it now, yeah. a lot of formerly old techs are good now

some mazdas have the stop-start thing that's common now, but they don't use the starter. the ECU is able to clock one of the cylinders at exact TDC when it stops it, and when you hit the gas it squirts in fuel (cause everythings direct injection now) and pops the spark to get it spinning again. basically the great great great grandson of those old motors that got started with a shotgun shell

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Cat Face Joe posted:

no way

ford: cars that worked, friends with hitler

elon: cars don't work, desperate for attention from groypers

it's not really accurate anymore to say teslas don't work. there are millions of them out there now, mostly models 3 and Y, and most of them are working fine. they've addressed the panel gaps on those cars (yes, i continue to look at parked teslas periodically to check) and the general falling apart problems. if you have a tesla model 3 or Y and you don't use autopilot, it is a car that will get you from place to place with a minimum of fuss.

i understand that the model X continues to be super unreliable with its doors, and the cybertruck is a whole other idiot garbage pile. but most people have one of the two cars they make that are, after seven years of working out the problems, finally decent.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

cylinder deactivation's kinda wack as a concept, but they're less bad at it now, yeah. a lot of formerly old techs are good now

some mazdas have the stop-start thing that's common now, but they don't use the starter. the ECU is able to clock one of the cylinders at exact TDC when it stops it, and when you hit the gas it squirts in fuel (cause everythings direct injection now) and pops the spark to get it spinning again. basically the great great great grandson of those old motors that got started with a shotgun shell

that's really cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

yea i love that technology. absolute genius move

compare to e.g. audi's stupid 48v "mild hybrid" system where you have a big heavy 48v starter motor and 48v battery pack, neither of which are powerful enough to move the car, but are only used to crank the engine over more quickly so it can do the start-stop without being annoying. all that extra poo poo to do the same thing mazda does entirely in software.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 6, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

huh, i wonder if that's how it works on the mini. interestingly using sport mode will deactivate the stop-start (and there's a toggle switch for it under the infotainment circle anyway — or at least there was, the 2025s don't have any of the cool-rear end toggles anymore :argh:)

but the lag is more or less imperceptible in normal driving (if you're trying to accelerate as fast as possible from a complete stop, then yeah, it is noticeable, but it's no worse than turbo lag imo). i usually keep it disabled though since i mostly use sport mode (it tightens up the steering to where it was on my cooper S, so i like it more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jonny 290 posted:

:krad: