Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Waffle House posted:

Awesome. If they're adding 8-player action like I hear as well, this is gonna be a loving awesome game for years to come.

Why stop at 8? Let's Klendathu the poo poo out of the Termanids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

Where did you hear that? It's something huge I'm hoping for.

real, more games need to go beyond the 4-player limit for co-op, that 5th friend can get sad

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

a big dumb fun mode would be awesome. Just have everyone pick their loadout and spawn in with it, and fight a horde like in starship troopers. don't tie any big rewards to it, hell have it give little to no xp or spacebucks. don't bother balancing for it and just let chaos reign.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Have there been any adjustments to the other assault rifles? I saw on Reddit that the explosive Liberator now says it's just concussive? I thought the regular Liberator was probably the second-best gun besides the pre-patch Breaker, and they left it alone, so I was hoping they'd want to bring the other variations up to the same level.

Also kicking myself for wasting so many medals on the premium warbond now that there are other guns worth using. I blew like a hundred medals getting some of the cosmetic poo poo in there -- the player card, the cut-your-throat victory pose, the cape that actually doesn't match the armor that I wanted to use it with -- because I looked through the main warbond and was like eh, nothing too great in there. I'm only on the page with the Stamina Booster because I didn't think I'd care that much about unlocking the Spray-n-Pray or the Slugger.

e: also also

LuiCypher posted:

Very strange how trying to hold a point against a near-unlimited horde almost always ends with everyone dying horribly unless that's actually the objective.

Speaking of objectives, it's pretty weird how there are a bunch of objectives on maps that give you XP and Requisition when you complete them, yet there are no XP, Requisition, or Samples given to you based on kill count.

If you think about it, it's almost like the game is actually about completing objectives despite going up against overwhelming odds rather than just mindlessly killing a bunch of bugs/bots. Game might even sell this point pretty hard with rather minimal XP/Req bonuses based on the number of Divers that successfully extract, with even a single sub-objective yielding just as much (if not more) XP/Req than a full team of 4 extracting.

why do you post like this? we're all pushing 40 here, dude, you don't have to do the smarter-than-you one-upsmanship thing. just be chill to eachother, yknow?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you want a "group of boys survives against an unlimited horde for X minutes" mission, those evac missions against the robots are a good time. With 8 people you might even be able to clear the map every so often!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I've had a few rounds now testing out the flamethrower on chargers and my conclusion is that it's... inconsistent?

Sometimes they'll melt in half a tank, sometimes they take a tank and a half. I tried to be consistent in regards to distance and focussing on one leg but yeah TTK just seemed a bit random.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Phenotype posted:

e: also also

why do you post like this? we're all pushing 40 here, dude, you don't have to do the smarter-than-you one-upsmanship thing. just be chill to eachother, yknow?

Good luck. Threads (and communities in general) for PVE live service games have this tendency to turn into "just shy of Dota chat" toxic bullshit. Worse than a lot of the competitive game communities out there despite everyone nominally being on the same side and working together.

Some people gotta feel better than others by any means necessary.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

jokes posted:

Here's hoping they have a warthog-style 3-person vehicle so you have two of those running around and two people doing normal objectives

The inclusion of vehicles and potentially more faction(s) really does make me think this game is going to be one of my go-tos for, like, ever

There is one, yes, with an MG on the back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It is funny how the game has gone from any criticism being met with "That's not very freedom of you" to "if I can't complete difficulty 9 I'm going to end it all" in what, two weeks? Apparently the server issues was what was keeping everyone sane, being able to play the game really destroyed enjoyment of it.

skaianDestiny posted:

There is one, yes, with an MG on the back.

And thank God for it, being able to move quickly around the map is going to be a godsend. I just wonder how it's going to work for bug breaches and such, not much of a threat if you can just hit the gas and drive away.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Picking up a shot with ammo boxes has made the spear quite effective it seems like it reloads marginally faster than the rr and easy to land your shots in the fracas.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

flashman posted:

Picking up a shot with ammo boxes has made the spear quite effective it seems like it reloads marginally faster than the rr and easy to land your shots in the fracas.

Can you reload that on your own like the RR/AC it just takes a bit longer?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yes you can self reload. Locking is a bit finicky sometimes doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason but overall smooth and strong. You'll be hogging ammo boxes though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
dead game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

boz posted:

I actually got a clip of this last night, had two of them charge straight into eachother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKk-IOINSI

I've been trying to do this for so long but haven't been able to record it. Nice to confirm it works.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Trying out the arc thrower now and it chips armor ok but doesn't seem to break it very reliably?

I'm not vibing with it so far. In conclusion:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Comparing the RR and the Spear:

RR is point and shoot, drat near hitscan at reasonable ranges.

Spear needs to lock on and has a minimum range.

Spear drops in from above. so will likely hit top/side plates of armor.

Spear reloads slightly faster than RR.

RR has more ammo in reserve.

Spear hits harder(I think?).

Basically the Spear is a bigger tracking RR, the biggest issue it had was you couldn't get more ammo from loose ammo boxes pre-patch.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

also i threw on heavy armor for a couple missions and lol does it feel great coming back to light

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm OK with the meta being nerfed because it was too strong, but after playing post-patch heavy armor still seems to do jack poo poo and the non-breaker shotguns barely tickle.

Also without strong railguns the orbital laser is going to be even more mandatory for handling titans, the big bomb needs a radius buff or some other strategem needs to be altered if Arrowhead doesn't want the same problem again but worse.

Eagle strafing run seems to oneshot bile titans.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You can now just stand near a bug breach and flamthrower it unless/until a charger or titan comes out of it and it owns

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If they up the simultaneous alarms more people can work. The whole idea to go 3 and 1 is so the 3 trigger and fight the alarms while the 1 cleans up the heavy factory/nests relatively easily.

If they change it so there are more alarms 8 players could for sure work and not feel like your cheesing the mission through volume of fire ( many people here hate this, hence the railgun nerfs)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Trying out the arc thrower now and it chips armor ok but doesn't seem to break it very reliably?

i find that armor breaking with the arc thrower is more a nice bonus rather than something i can reliably count on

ive tried different strategies to replicate it but nothing i try gets it to consistently break armor. itd be the best weapon in the game if i could figure out this secret tho

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The arc thrower's strength isn't breaking armor, it's that it ignores armor like the flamethrower.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm really enjoying the new and improved orbital barrages. 120mm seems to have just the right spread and density to destroy medium bases with good reliability, and 380mm pretty much guarantees it. They also don't cause nearly as much friendly fire anymore, the 380 seems to have a dispersion radius of just about 60 meters and the 120 about half that.

edit: Also the new Punisher seems to stagger Devastators on each hit, which is insanely helpful for dealing with them

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 6, 2024

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sindai posted:

The arc thrower's strength isn't breaking armor, it's that it ignores armor like the flamethrower.

Both are equally likely to kill your teammate in the same general zip-code which is a plus as well.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Retro42 posted:

Spear hits harder(I think?).
I'm pretty sure it does, it has a good chance of one-shotting chargers on a succesful hit, and even if they do survive then they'll likely bleed to death afterwards.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AndyElusive posted:

Why stop at 8? Let's Klendathu the poo poo out of the Termanids.

probably because this game is p2p

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

also i threw on heavy armor for a couple missions and lol does it feel great coming back to light

Been enjoying the recoil reduction // explosive resist heavy armor seems it does the job against meteor showers

Siffl
Sep 3, 2011
I wouldn't mind chargers so much if they had a decent weakness that was hard to hit. Like on top of it, that way you could reward strategy and positioning rather than strictly firepower. And by weakness, I mean it still takes a few AC shots to kill.

Does the flame thrower do damage over time? Is it worth it to run near a titan to keep it light up if the team has to take it down by hand? Speaking of Titans, has anyone tried to see if the damage done to open mouth Titans with the rail still the same?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, getting literally any fixes is nice for the punisher. But the rate of fire just does not keep up when surrounded by spam/"My autocannon is empty, shame charger weak spots are not weakspots and I am surrounded by fat spitters" problems.

Also I have been switching from radar booster to stamina booster because holy poo poo stop following me jesus I have crossed 3/4 the map bringing people's lost samples home go away you have gotten stuck on 5 different cliffs

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Poonisher

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Siffl posted:

I wouldn't mind chargers so much if they had a decent weakness that was hard to hit. Like on top of it, that way you could reward strategy and positioning rather than strictly firepower. And by weakness, I mean it still takes a few AC shots to kill.

?? it only takes a few AC shots to kill a charger in either the butt or behind the legs. You can also just use your primary to kill a charger by shooting it behind the legs. Havent tried since the patch, but I was taking down chargers with one breaker mag with this strat

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Siffl posted:

Does the flame thrower do damage over time? Is it worth it to run near a titan to keep it light up if the team has to take it down by hand?

the flame thrower does have a damage over time and it also doesn't do poo poo to the bile titan unless its armor is already broken

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It looks like the laser cannon will melt a charger if it misses a charge and you just focus a single leg for 3-4 seconds now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

It looks like the laser cannon will melt a charger if it misses a charge and you just focus a single leg for 3-4 seconds now.

I wonder if that animation/armor desync will get fixed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the flame thrower does have a damage over time and it also doesn't do poo poo to the bile titan unless its armor is already broken

I'm looking to check this more thoroughly tonight because it felt really good finishing a titan off with my flamethrower after a 500kg failed to do the job. I'm wondering if the bomb had cracked the armor or if this was just a case of the health being brought almost low enough that the flamethrower cherry-tapped it.

I'd really love to make my primary BT killing strat be "run under its legs and point the flamethrower up."

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

They really need to decide to give some weapons the ability to reliably deal with armored enemy types. I'm glad they did some changes, but now helldives are mostly about stealthing through missions or kiting enemies since there's no effective way of dealing with lots of armored enemies. This game is more fun as a gungho coop game, it doesn't have the mechanics to be a fun coop stealth game.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Have you considered shooting rockets at them

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I hadn't gotten up past Hard difficulty but if they want strategems to be the way to deal with hordes then they need to make a 500kg reliably kill a Bile Titan.

I think the team is wanting Helldivers to be on the backfoot so they're nerfing stuff so that when the mechs are available we turn the tide with the mechs.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Armor working again is kinda nice I guess, but I'm not convinced losing speed and stamina is worth being able to take a couple more hits. Armor rating doesn't really confer that much extra protection.

quote:

if they want strategems to be the way to deal with hordes then they need to make a 500kg reliably kill a Bile Titan.

The 500kg absolutely wrecks Bile Titans, you just have to actually hit with it. It really sucks with strategem calldown time malus though.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You can now just stand near a bug breach and flamthrower it unless/until a charger or titan comes out of it and it owns

Was there anything preventing that before or were we just all busy rolling railguns