Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm a bit confused still about how the points for weapon levels are actually accrued. In my game Aerith actually has the highest weapon level out of anybody, which is weird since she hasn't really been in the active party more than anybody else and definitely less than Cloud.

And if existing weapons gain material slots with levels I haven't seen that yet, unless it doesn't start happening until mid or late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I'm a bit confused still about how the points for weapon levels are actually accrued. In my game Aerith actually has the highest weapon level out of anybody, which is weird since she hasn't really been in the active party more than anybody else and definitely less than Cloud.

And if existing weapons gain material slots with levels I haven't seen that yet, unless it doesn't start happening until mid or late game.

A character gets 5 SP towards their weapon level every time they gain a character level, and 10 SP every time you find or buy a manuscript. I'm guessing you've gotten more manuscripts for Aerith than anyone else.

Weapons do gain materia slots as they level. Some of mine got new slots at weapon level 4, I know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It depends on your SP. Once you reach a certain level of SP you gain a weapon level.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

What's wrong with the boxing game?

The dodging input being on both sticks mainly, the rest of it is fine, but the dodging is like playing those games where u have a color written out and the text is in another color but you have to select the one's that written.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ok so weapon upgrades and SP actually are the same thing, and the game was just confusing me by treating them as distinct ideas.

I could swear I've never seen somebody with an empty materia slot yet and said "oh that must be from a weapon upgrade". But as usual I have a mind like a steel sieve so maybe I just slammed something into the slot without thinking about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

The dodging input being on both sticks mainly, the rest of it is fine, but the dodging is like playing those games where u have a color written out and the text is in another color but you have to select the one's that written.

If it helps at all you can pause after the enemy has drawn their fist back, hold the correct stick in the correct direction, and then unpause and it will register it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean I only fought the first two boxing opponents and peaced out but I feel like even by the second opponent the tell had little intuitive connection visually to the input needed to dodge so it was just rote memorizing, which combined with the stick thing was going to be too irritating

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If it helps at all you can pause after the enemy has drawn their fist back, hold the correct stick in the correct direction, and then unpause and it will register it.

Yeah that can work for getting the higher rank, thanks, but I just don't like how it feels playing. I didn't peep a submarine machine on golden saucer so I'm hoping that my fav minigame from the og gets a better representation than 3d battler

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Where the gently caress are the materials for the 'saga of the seaside quest'? I feel like I've scoured this entire area head to toe and I've only found 2 bundles but apparently there are 8??

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Thundarr posted:

Ok so weapon upgrades and SP actually are the same thing, and the game was just confusing me by treating them as distinct ideas.

I could swear I've never seen somebody with an empty materia slot yet and said "oh that must be from a weapon upgrade". But as usual I have a mind like a steel sieve so maybe I just slammed something into the slot without thinking about it.

Don't forget about folios and manuscripts, also the same thing!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The Mangahanata or whatever book stores are stunningly pointless, except for providing more of that FF7 flavor in the one with the creepy owner employing 3 of the same type of speccy assistant girls

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Frankston posted:

Where the gently caress are the materials for the 'saga of the seaside quest'? I feel like I've scoured this entire area head to toe and I've only found 2 bundles but apparently there are 8??

I did this quest last night and had the same issue. The bundles are located on ziplines throughout the entire zone, not just the two nearest the quest givers. They're always on the top platform of the zipline, not the bottom landing pad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Don't forget about folios and manuscripts, also the same thing!

A folio is a page of a manuscript.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankston posted:

They're at the top of every zipline, of which there are 8. It's not so bad if you look for wooden squares on the map

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the timing for the boxing minigame seemed super generous, like you could press the stick any time during the opponent’s wind-up and it would work. wonder if maybe people are psyching themselves out by trying to treat it like an elden ring dodge
It’s kinda just slow and boring tho, at least on the initial three fights that are available.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Frankston posted:

They're at the top of each zip line. You will need to get to them before they're marked on your map. They're all in that general Costa del sol area.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Frankston posted:

There are 8 ziplines (even marked with numbers on your map) in the Costa del Sol region. There is a box on top of each of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

The Mangahanata or whatever book stores are stunningly pointless, except for providing more of that FF7 flavor in the one with the creepy owner employing 3 of the same type of speccy assistant girls

There's a handful of times you can't leave a town and need to use them.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Frankston posted:

They don't show up on the map, you have to locate the zipline/parcel and then it shows up.

Here's a map if you're not interested in running around to find them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Mods No Masters posted:

They're at the top of every zipline, of which there are 8. It's not so bad if you look for wooden squares on the map

This confused the gently caress out of me because the dialogue implies that they left their stuff when fleeing down a singular zipline but apparently they fled down every zipline in the region???

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Aphrodite posted:

There's a handful of times you can't leave a town and need to use them.

That makes sense, but I don't know if I've ever felt like I needed a specific one of those weapon skill upgrades.

Is there an automatic upgrade option for those, come to think of it? And do you eventually get enough points to just get every node?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A shameful gamer, who doesn't rush for the moogle house the instant it pops up

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Augus posted:

This confused the gently caress out of me because the dialogue implies that they left their stuff when fleeing down a singular zipline but apparently they fled down every zipline in the region???

I had the exact same thought but tbf, it is Johnny we're talking about

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

A shameful gamer, who doesn't rush for the moogle house the instant it pops up

I always bee line them when I find them because two skill books yo but around mischief level 4 I start getting real sick of deez kids.

Pay off for doing them all was amazing though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

It's the same dumbass every time!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm the sicko who wants a harder version of the moogle minigame. Yeah it's trash but for whatever reason that's my kinda trash

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

How’s the open world handled or is it just fake instanced into chapters? Can i just break off and revisit Nibelhelm during later chapters with freeroam or is that not a thing

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

GateOfD posted:

How’s the open world handled or is it just fake instanced into chapters? Can i just break off and revisit Nibelhelm during later chapters with freeroam or is that not a thing

You can backtrack, but sometimes heading back to previous regions might be locked off for a bit while doing plot sequences. There is also like a sort of annoying thing where you can't fast travel to another region and need to use a particular method to get back there but they drop that late in the game when even more side quests open up everywhere.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ch 9 Did I gently caress up Cissnei's cooking sidequest? I was told to find a specific type of salt, but I couldn't find two others in the extremely small area they gave me to search. When I went to turn everything in it had two stars, but in that case what was I suppose to do?

The mushroom poo poo though - that was a really cool way to use the adaptive triggers.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Vitamean posted:

Ch 9 Did I gently caress up Cissnei's cooking sidequest? I was told to find a specific type of salt, but I couldn't find two others in the extremely small area they gave me to search. When I went to turn everything in it had two stars, but in that case what was I suppose to do?

The mushroom poo poo though - that was a really cool way to use the adaptive triggers.

That one kind of sucked but the other salt patches with the correct kind of salt were nearby even if it wasn't clear. One patch was in a small cave just a bit away from the ones on the beach and the last one was on top of the hill above the others.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Welp!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Thundarr posted:

So, Weapon Level was the whole game in Remake; as it increased, you unlocked new clusters of nodes for your character customization, and that's where a lot of the talents and passive used to lie. (Aside: shout out to whomever made the decision that all weapons are essentially side-grades, so you can justify switching back to a character's iconic weapon without issue. This is true in both games.) Rebirth does a confusing thing of talking about weapon upgrades as if you have any real agency in what they are, but you only get to make decisions on the upgrade slots, and the number of slots does not seem to vary weapon-by-weapon. To illustrate better:
  • Every time you level up, you gain 5SP. Every time you find a manuscript for a character, they gain 10SP. Your next Weapon Level threshold is on the menu. If you're ahead on manuscripts on one character, or if they're a higher level than your other party members, they will consequently have a higher Weapon Level.
  • If you go into the Weapon Upgrade submenu, you'll be able to see weapon upgrades you have unlocked, and you'll see a preview of what you get when you attain your next Weapon Level. These stat growths will inform you about what a weapon's focus is. Cloud's Buster Sword, for example, has even growth in both Attack and Magic Attack, and is the first weapon to unlock a Reprieve (stay alive @ 1 HP once per battle) node. You will be able to see when you're about to get a new materia slot, a new weapon upgrade slot, or when you will get a link between two existing materia slots.
  • That's it. You have no control over the passive stat growths or anything like that; the Manual vs. Automatic choices for weapon upgrades are about which weapon upgrade loadouts the game will auto-equip for you based on whichever preference you picked. Mastering a Weapon Ability is not related to your Weapon Level at all, and is instead down to using the Ability in combat and triggering the proficiency bonus.
One of the important things to note about Rebirth (and this was true in Remake) is the aforementioned -- getting a new weapon does not necessarily constitute an upgrade. I'm on Dynamic and have been switching back to the Buster Sword after mastering every new Weapon Ability, for example, and have personally found that to be to my taste. Each weapon has different stat growths and emphases, each weapon will have different upgrades to choose from, and each weapon's materia slots and how they're configured will vary. It's a good system that allows for a good amount of player expression, but it could be explained a touch better, maybe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm gonna be in chapter 12 for like 50 hours, aren't I

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My problem with the weapons is everyones pool has a few with striking differences in materia slots and while that will eventually presumably even out it doesn't very happen quickly. Clouds Crystal sword is still 2-3 slots behind the rest of the pack 12 hours later. It does have more slots now, yes. But uh, so does the big purple sword.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Azubah posted:

Not a fan of queen's blood or card games in general so I skipped it.

Queens Blood doesn't even have to be a game. That's what's cool about it.

You can definitely go big brain and pull off cool combos and stuff, but you can also just box out the AI :shrug:

This is the final match in the queens blood game on the ship. Just do something like 2x shinra solider to box them in and just play super aggressively. You will win. It is not difficult.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So is it only the green quests that matter as far as your friendship level or whatever or does the various other open world junk also matter? Is that just for EXP or getting the titan materia or w/e

I'm finding a lot of the open world Chadley stuff (and just traversing it in general) as tedious as I figured it would be and would really just like to start mainlining the story, and if the general open world stuff is just combat oriented bonuses I don't mind missing them.

edit: Also I would rather die than play a card game but I'm realizing I'm gonna have to do that grasslands green quest that has to do with the card game if I want to make Tifa happy aren't I

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

So is it only the green quests that matter as far as your friendship level or whatever or does the various other open world junk also matter? Is that just for EXP or getting the titan materia or w/e

I'm finding a lot of the open world Chadley stuff (and just traversing it in general) as tedious as I figured it would be and would really just like to start mainlining the story, and if the general open world stuff is just combat oriented bonuses I don't mind missing them.

You want to at least do the Protorelic stuff.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Caidin posted:

My problem with the weapons is everyones pool has a few with striking differences in materia slots and while that will eventually presumably even out it doesn't very happen quickly. Clouds Crystal sword is still 2-3 slots behind the rest of the pack 12 hours later. It does have more slots now, yes. But uh, so does the big purple sword.
There's usually a statistical tradeoff to justify this, in the sense that the raw stats of the weapons that are ahead in materia slots tend to be lower. I'm in Chapter 9 still, so there's your caveat, but I don't personally need 9 materia slots instead of 8, and so I've still just been using the Buster Sword. There's something to be said for the weapons that have way fewer materia slots; those are a bit of a struggle, even if they tend to have pretty crazy weapon upgrade choices.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've had a better time in Queen's Blood since I got some more cards that can activate tiles in "weird" places. The moogle one that gives you two other moogle cards is really nice for giving you options.

I still feel like there's a good amount of luck, though. I don't think it's possible to fully avoid situations where you'll lose if the opponent has the wrong cards. I think I win maybe...3/5 of the time? Slightly more than half?

Unrelated, but Barrett's theme on piano was kind of awkward due to being jazzy. Got an A, but the game is pretty forgiving with the requirements for A-Rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I built a tonberry/joker deck and it pretty reliably beats opponents. the mindflayer card makes things especially funny because it's a persistent damage zone so you can just keep feeding 1-HP cards to the same space to keep building up power when your opponent's already dead.

I have no idea how to approach the survival game in the Gold Saucer tho