Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

While the player base has been focused on the bugs the bots have taken another planet on the path towards Cyberstan. :allears: Oh boy I can't wait for this to get crazy.

Yyyyyyyyyep, the bots have been moving slowly but inexorably towards there. They do sure like to take planets one at a time while nobody's looking...

Siffl posted:

Does the flame thrower do damage over time? Is it worth it to run near a titan to keep it light up if the team has to take it down by hand? Speaking of Titans, has anyone tried to see if the damage done to open mouth Titans with the rail still the same?

It does do damage over time. The damage ignores armor. It is only worth it to run near a Titan to light it up with a flamethrower if you intend to kill the Bile Titan when you drop in as a reinforcement.

Edit: I am being sarcastic, but landing on a Bile Titan with your drop pod is actually not the worst strategy if you have the reinforcements for it! It is, after all, an orbital calldown that has no cooldown timer. I may have killed multiple Bile Titans this way yesterday on a bug defense map.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

flashman posted:

Have you considered shooting rockets at them
Spear target lock is still super-buggy, and even with the ammo changes that doesn't help when you have to deal with 15+ of them over the course of a mission.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like that we're losing this whole time, lol

all these players picking non-meta loadouts are holding back the war effort

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The flamethrower was considerably buffed

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dante posted:

Spear target lock is still super-buggy, and even with the ammo changes that doesn't help when you have to deal with 15+ of them over the course of a mission.

If you don't like the spear the recoiless or eat are also rockets.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

jokes posted:

Helldivers1, the last time i played a few years ago was on like War 40 or 45 or something? So i wonder how many we will go through here and how many we actually end up winning. I know there were at least a few of the wars were Super Earth lost.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A bunch of weapons/stratagems got very sorely needed buffs and this is overwhelmingly welcomed as a very good change. But also I find it disappointing how it was largely just the shotguns that were changed given they're generally viewed as the best ones anyway unless you're a dedicated intel carrier using the SMG which generally beats out the ARs also.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ChaseSP posted:

A bunch of weapons/stratagems got very sorely needed buffs and this is overwhelmingly welcomed as a very good change. But also I find it disappointing how it was largely just the shotguns that were changed given they're generally viewed as the best ones anyway unless you're a dedicated intel carrier using the SMG which generally beats out the ARs also.

Despite the damage I prefer the liberator feel to the defender

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

flashman posted:

If you don't like the spear the recoiless or eat are also rockets.

Again, using 2-3 shots from the recoilless against a single charger isn't a viable strategy when you have to face double digits in a mission, and often 4 at the same time. The player ability to deal with high-level armored enemies doesn't scale properly with the mission difficulty. At the high-end there's way too much armored poo poo that you don't have the ammo to deal with, so people just stealth or run&kite continuously the entire mission.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone else find you can't play after leaving or being kicked from a multiplayer sesh? I have to quit out and restart before it'll let me do a mission. Kinda annoying.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dante posted:

Again, using 2-3 shots from the recoilless against a single charger isn't a viable strategy when you have to face double digits in a mission, and often 4 at the same time.

? Aim at the leg bro

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Having to bring dedicated AT weaponry to deal with armoured targets has been a core conceit since Helldivers 1 lol. My own take on this is that I think the dedicated AT weapons should be buffed to one-shot a charger to the face like the first game, because I personally find the method of "leg shot -> primary weapon DPS" to be very unsatisfying when instead I could be blasting heads off with HEAT rounds.

It's clear that players should have a weapon good for chaff and a AT weapon good against armored target. But I don't like how there are no good primary AT weapons, it means players will always pick the anti-chaff weapon as primary and the AT weapon as support. There are some anti-chaff support weapons like the Stalwart that this model of balance discourages picking.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dante posted:

Again, using 2-3 shots from the recoilless against a single charger isn't a viable strategy when you have to face double digits in a mission, and often 4 at the same time. The player ability to deal with high-level armored enemies doesn't scale properly with the mission difficulty. At the high-end there's way too much armored poo poo that you don't have the ammo to deal with, so people just stealth or run&kite continuously the entire mission.

Shoot bugs legs out, they're like necromorphs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

jokes posted:

In Helldivers 1 Super Earth could get invaded and destroyed

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
woo that's a big jump in the breaker recoil, how's it feel now?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

It's clear that players should have a weapon good for chaff and a AT weapon good against armored target. But I don't like how there are no good primary AT weapons, it means players will always pick the anti-chaff weapon as primary and the AT weapon as support. There are some anti-chaff support weapons like the Stalwart that this model of balance discourages picking.

Two out of four carrying AT is fine for helldive imo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

woo that's a big jump in the breaker recoil, how's it feel now?
Still better at double taps than the punisher. Because even if you miss you can fire it 3-4 times instead of twice and then get tackled to the ground.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Improbable Lobster posted:

In Helldivers 1 Super Earth could get invaded and destroyed

The most recent Helldivers 1 war ended this way

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah I was just thinking something like the JAR-5 really needs heavy armor penetration so I can bring that and a machinegun secondary.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Phenotype posted:

e: also also

why do you post like this? we're all pushing 40 here, dude, you don't have to do the smarter-than-you one-upsmanship thing. just be chill to eachother, yknow?

Fair point. It's fine for people to figure out what they enjoy about the game and double down on the difficulty/modes that offer that. Edit: I have been known to do a Difficulty 4-5 mission from time to time when I really feel like I want to shoot many things with a machine gun and not have to worry too much about managing big targets.

I've just seen way, way too many Difficulty 7+ missions where we're just trying to complete the objectives and collect Super Samples before we get overwhelmed go completely sideways because Joe Pubbie thinks that the goal is to shoot every bug they see as they run screaming towards us with a conga line of Chargers and Bile Titans trailing them.

So when someone says that the goal of the game is to shoot bugs, I get a little annoyed. Shooting bugs is part of the game and it can be pretty fun, but higher difficulties are structured such that any kind of prolonged engagement is a losing proposition for the Helldivers. It can be fun to shoot bugs, but that is very much cancelled out by losing all of your Samples+Super Samples thanks to Rambo running your reinforcements to empty before you can call for evac, then getting wiped at the evac point because of the aforementioned conga line of Chargers and Bile Titans.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 6, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Waffle House posted:

Was there anything preventing that before or were we just all busy rolling railguns

Yeah, the flamethrower wouldn't do enough damage and all the flaming bugs would rush out and murder you

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dante posted:

Each charger should only take one shot from the recoilless to kill, though. As rocket guy, your job is to blast off an armor patch so your teammates can kill it and move on to the next one. If you don't have a teammate, you shouldn't be tangling with charger groups.

Turin Turambar posted:

EATs mean you can have a support weapon for chaff AND a support weapon for armor.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One of the friends in my group gets so goddamn mad at me when I say "WE HAVE TO GO" while they're standing there shooting at a neverending horde of respawning enemies. They want to wait for a natural break in the action to fall back but sometimes you just have to get the gently caress out and try your best to avoid death on your way out.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
For real, people need to learn how to break contact or fight on the move/retreat. If pubs are getting bogged down in poo poo I usually just bail on them towards whatever the next objective is and they get the idea eventually. But tbh I'm guilty of the same thing because sometimes it's fun to be the one holding back the tide while everyone else bails.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

EATs mean you can have a support weapon for chaff AND a support weapon for armor.

What dark bargain have you made to prevent 3 strat limit debuffs from all your missions? Or do you avoid the war effort if that turns out to be a debuff on a major target.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Lower difficulties teach you that it's feasible to stick around and beat off enemy attacks which isn't how it works on higher difficulties at all with how many heavily armored assholes will drop on you along with a bunch of smaller assholes that will keep calling in reinforcements or just keep you pinned until another patrol comes along.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Section Z posted:

What dark bargain have you made to prevent 3 strat limit debuffs from all your missions? Or do you avoid the war effort if that turns out to be a debuff on a major target.

That's more than enough for a machine gun, EAT, and jumppack. Or a laser if somebody else is bringing jumppacks. Not a big deal imo.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dante posted:

Again, using 2-3 shots from the recoilless against a single charger isn't a viable strategy

It's not a viable strategy, and you should stop doing it. No one should be doing it. A single EAT or RR shot straight to the chargers leg strips off the armor so it can be killed by less than a mag of primary weapons fire. Like a half a mag from the breaker yesterday but I'm not sure post patch because I've been at work.

If you see a teammate hit a leg with one you can primary that leg to death in seconds. It's very fast.

Edit: Last night pre patch I was in a level 7 or 8 game with all 4 pubbies between 25 and 40 and one player was running railgunning and shield. One was EAT and Rover, one Autocannon and Backpack and I ran Arc and Rover. It was no big deal. Because we stayed close or in pairs. We saved anti armor strategies for when we needed them. A Patrol of 4 chargers and a titan popped a couple seconds after. 2 orbital rail strikes and an orbital laser got tossed right away and 30 seconds or so later it's all dead.

People talking about balance seem to always phrase arguments as if it's them having to deal with 4 chargers. It's not. Or, if it is that person is loving up wholesale and needs to just hit the bricks and lose the enemies and not stay and fight them. If all 4 chargers are chasing a player then their teammates should be popping the chargers with strategies and AA weapons while the chargers are distracted. Even pairs of players working together are drastically more efficient that someone working alone in a lot of cases.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 6, 2024

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Each charger should only take one shot from the recoilless to kill, though. As rocket guy, your job is to blast off an armor patch so your teammates can kill it and move on to the next one. If you don't have a teammate, you shouldn't be tangling with charger groups.

That's a fair comment. I think the issue I think is that this is still a game with primarily random pubbie coop matchmaking. The amount of chargers thrown at you for higher difficulties require a decent team coordination to deal with now, which makes the game weirdly sweaty for its aesthetics. I enjoyed the game for what it was, which was kind of a light-hearted gungho coop experience. Its fair if they weren't happy with that direction and want it to be a more "competitive" experience or whatever, but I'm long past the age where I can reliable coordinate with the same group of friends to play regularly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

For real, people need to learn how to break contact or fight on the move/retreat. If pubs are getting bogged down in poo poo I usually just bail on them towards whatever the next objective is and they get the idea eventually. But tbh I'm guilty of the same thing because sometimes it's fun to be the one holding back the tide while everyone else bails.
my worst sin so far is dumping my GL or AC for an EAT to shoot something, then hanging around way too long trying to recover the drat GL or AC amid the rest of the hordes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I mostly play with pubbies, and at least around level 7, where I usually play, I have not had any difficulty either sticking with someone or having someone stick with me in most games. I consider 8 and 9 to properly be the domain of non-pubbie groups right now, though, or at least they are what you upgrade to when you run into some pubbies you vibe with and want to play a couple more missions, but I think that's fair. A coordinated group needs a bit more challenge, and 7 is pretty comfy for pub play and you still get the rare goods.

And I love how often pubbies are willing to offer me a hug after killing a group of chargers, hah. Most people like and want to work together, if you play in a way that they can they will jump at the opportunity in my experience. I've even had a couple of folks team reload me for a while when I asked in chat. And it actually feels like people are even more willing after the most recent patch, but that might just be chance.

I am also not remotely competitive.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 6, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

turn off the TV posted:

probably because this game is p2p

Starship Troopers Extermination is P2P too afaik and it does 16 player coop. It has its issues sometimes but it works pretty well. The game itself is still pretty rough around the edges though but it does manage to nail that feeling HD2 does of being both able to wipe out bugs by the dozens but also being extremely vulnerable. Just less ragdolling and more instant-death-by-grenadier.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I don't think it's unreasonable for the developers to expect people playing the highest difficulties to be coordinated and communicating, and balance around that. If you don't want to/can't do that, don't play the higher difficulties :shrug:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dante posted:

That's a fair comment. I think the issue I think is that this is still a game with primarily random pubbie coop matchmaking. The amount of chargers thrown at you for higher difficulties require a decent team coordination to deal with now, which makes the game weirdly sweaty for its aesthetics. I enjoyed the game for what it was, which was kind of a light-hearted gungho coop experience. Its fair if they weren't happy with that direction and want it to be a more "competitive" experience or whatever, but I'm long past the age where I can reliable coordinate with the same group of friends to play regularly.

Then turn down the difficulty lol it's as sweaty as you make it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

my worst sin so far is dumping my GL or AC for an EAT to shoot something, then hanging around way too long trying to recover the drat GL or AC amid the rest of the hordes

My friends also have a terrible habit of running on their own towards hordes of enemies to retrieve their stuff they dropped when they died even when it was like 2 samples and a gun they can call a new one of already. This inevitably results in a cascade of deaths as friend gets increasingly more salty while our reinforcement numbers plummet. Or someone dies and immediately has to report "I HAD 4 SAMPLES SOMEONE PICK UP MY SAMPLES" I always have to be the one to be like "it's fine, we won't miss a handful of basic samples/we can get them when the patrols stop, and you can get a new identical gun right now by using a strategem."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

thinking about it, what the game really needs is two emote buttons so I can get hugs AND salute the ICBM launch on the same mission

meanwhile my goal is to get a hug with the ICBM detonation in the background :3:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

thinking about it, what the game really needs is two emote buttons so I can get hugs AND salute the ICBM launch on the same mission

Been saying this since the first day I was able to play, and we're not the only ones.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ciaphas posted:

Arrowhead, give this man woman a job.

Edit: gently caress me for misgendering and assuming, the old adage about assumptions holds but really only applies to me.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 6, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

Arrowhead, give this man a job.
woman :j:

(e) If not two emote buttons, Arrowhead, then at least give us the V key from DRG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ciaphas posted:

meanwhile my goal is to get a hug with the ICBM detonation in the background :3:

Absolutely this! 100%

Let us assign 2 to the comms wheel!