Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BitBasher posted:

People talking about balance seem to always phrase arguments as if it's them having to deal with 4 chargers. It's not. Or, if it is that person is loving up wholesale and needs to just hit the bricks and lose the enemies and not stay and fight them. If all 4 chargers are chasing a player then their teammates should be popping the chargers with strategies and AA weapons while the chargers are distracted. Even pairs of players working together are drastically more efficient that someone working alone in a lot of cases.

This mindset of "Use teamwork, idiot!" tends to run face first into being sabotaged by "Wow, these loving idiots who tried to shoot a charger instead of silently abandoning everyone just want to shoot anything that moves." mindsets.

Top cases of me suddenly being solo against spam is trying to save a teammate getting their poo poo wrecked in a firefight, then next thing I know they are gone the second I switch to first person.

Adjust for "Oh there was an airstrike thrown right behind me to cover their retreat, as I covered them." Ends up that I can actually have an easier time sticking with the people who love to shoot random patrols even on 7-8 because guess who I can count on to take two seconds to cover me while I reload the autocannnon after saving them from spitters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I gotta say I am pretty glad the meta weapons got a lil nerf. I think them being meta was also causing people to underrate other options. I play exclusively at the high difficulties and got bored of the railgun and went back to the auto-cannon for fun and was kind of blown away by how well it did. Knowing it does extra damage to squishy bit definitely helped but also ricochets clearly do some amount of damage. In general I am trying to avoid them obviously but I have been surprised a few times at a charger unceremoniously ragdolling after I bounce a round off of his front claw. The breaker nerf I feel less good about (even though I usually use the smg) because I think too few primaries feel good right now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I think heavy armor will be a lot more viable when there are vehicles in the game for long distance travel. There's currently too much legwork between points in the big missions. But if I could wear heavy armor and drive between them? Heck yeah.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turin Turambar posted:

It's clear that players should have a weapon good for chaff and a AT weapon good against armored target. But I don't like how there are no good primary AT weapons, it means players will always pick the anti-chaff weapon as primary and the AT weapon as support. There are some anti-chaff support weapons like the Stalwart that this model of balance discourages picking.

That's when you bring Orbital Railgun/Laser/Eagle 110s/500kg.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I play like 80% with pubbies on quickplay and theres just no controlling for loadouts the other people are bringing. I think there should be a loadout which is GENERALLY effective vs all comers even if you can't always engage. Needing to depend on the guy who brought 4 turrets to the "run around a massive map" mission is not it. I also think gate keeping people who don't want to specifically voice chat group from the higher difficulties is lame.

Edit: and i say this as someone that very rarely ran railgun/shield, I usually run 2x eagle, railcannon or orbit laser, and autocannon, the fact that every POI on 7+ has 1 to 2 chargers is asinine

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I gotta say I am pretty glad the meta weapons got a lil nerf. I think them being meta was also causing people to underrate other options. I play exclusively at the high difficulties and got bored of the railgun and went back to the auto-cannon for fun and was kind of blown away by how well it did. Knowing it does extra damage to squishy bit definitely helped but also ricochets clearly do some amount of damage. In general I am trying to avoid them obviously but I have been surprised a few times at a charger unceremoniously ragdolling after I bounce a round off of his front claw. The breaker nerf I feel less good about (even though I usually use the smg) because I think too few primaries feel good right now.

IMO Autocannon is probably the most OP thing in the game. its amazing at killing almost everything at very high efficiency, high utility at destroying bug holes/bot factories, aoe damage, reloads quickly, etc. It's only off-meta because it takes more work to kill chargers than other options.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

IMO Autocannon is probably the most OP thing in the game. its amazing at killing almost everything at very high efficiency, high utility at destroying bug holes/bot factories, aoe damage, reloads quickly, etc. It's only off-meta because it takes more work to kill chargers than other options.

taking up a backpack slot is a pretty hefty tradeoff and it takes ages to reload, I think it's pretty fair the way it is tbh.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

These lone wolf/squaddie conflicts are getting out of hand. I like to go off on my own, close up most light/medium nests, never use a resupply, end the mission with like 20 samples, and never die once only to get kicked from the game immediately once the mission is over

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

These lone wolf/squaddie conflicts are getting out of hand. I like to go off on my own, close up most light/medium nests, never use a resupply, end the mission with like 20 samples, and never die once only to get kicked from the game immediately once the mission is over

Forming natural duos is fun and fulfilling. Solo im not a big fan of

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Come and join me on my adventure then motherfuckers, we're blowing up bugs it's a good time, it's so much more boring just sitting and staring at an ore sample thing for 3 minutes.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I've noticed the only times I get kicked after a mission is if I have the least kills, because I actually disengage and go do objectives while everyone else pulls the whole map to them aggro wise. Hell, I had mission last week where someone killed like 800 bugs somehow and I had "only" killed like 150ish but I extracted with a ton of samples and got the boot soon as we were back on the ship.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I started bringing a laser drone and my kills went way, way up. If you wanna juice your kills without having to do anything, highly recommend bringing a lil laser dawg. Sucks I had to give up my jump pack though.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i would just like the "kill everything in sight" and "never stop running" strategies to both be viable

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dandywalken posted:

Forming natural duos is fun and fulfilling. Solo im not a big fan of

Can confirm duos work really well. I just pick someone with a complimentary loadout to myself and stick with them. At 7 at least it works really well if everyone has a fraction of a brain.

I usually lean anti trash so stick by someone with a pile of anti armor. I take at least one AA strategem to help, usually orbital rail gun lately. eagle airstrike is usually the 4th.

I also usually run rover. The kills are nice, the real benefit is it is excellent at letting me know something is sneaking up outside of my LOS. It lets me avoid so many problems

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

does the HP of mob change with difficulty level or just the frequency of the bigger ones/overall quantity

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Asking here because I'm more likely to get a sane answer than other forum options.

Anyone else having issues adding friends between ps5 and pc? Trying to add my partner to play together and the request is just sitting there pending no matter how we try to do it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Worf posted:

does the HP of mob change with difficulty level or just the frequency of the bigger ones/overall quantity

Doesn't seem to. It only seems to affect composition and somewhat volume of enemies. That's anecdotal though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Retro42 posted:

Asking here because I'm more likely to get a sane answer than other forum options.

Anyone else having issues adding friends between ps5 and pc? Trying to add my partner to play together and the request is just sitting there pending no matter how we try to do it.

The patch notes mentioned a known issue with PS5 friend adds

Worf posted:

The HP is not supposed to change between difficulties, but I don't know if this is actually true

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jerkface posted:

I play like 80% with pubbies on quickplay and theres just no controlling for loadouts the other people are bringing. I think there should be a loadout which is GENERALLY effective vs all comers even if you can't always engage. Needing to depend on the guy who brought 4 turrets to the "run around a massive map" mission is not it.

There are plenty of loadout options that are generally effective. It's nice to have options that are more effective but less general, too, though.

quote:

I also think gate keeping people who don't want to specifically voice chat group from the higher difficulties is lame.

Why, though? A coordinated, experienced team is always going to be more effective than a random group of pubbies, saying you don't want difficulties unless you can tackle them solo is saying that what you really want is for coordinated groups not to have a way to play that they feel is appropriately challenging. It literally has no impact on you at all, and yet you think it's lame for them to be able to do it. That's... I genuinely do not understand that mentality, where someone else having something they can enjoy makes your experience worse.

jokes posted:

If the mission is over... why does it matter? Before the mission is over sucks, but after... who cares?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Retro42 posted:

sry goon they left u on read

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i would just like the "kill everything in sight" and "never stop running" strategies to both be viable

This game is an outlier in my opinion in that killing things doesn't gain you anything at all and sometimes can be a detriment. There's no exp for kills, enemies don't drop ammo or credits or anything useful. Enemies are the obstacles you need to deal with, not the goal, with the exception of certain specific objectives.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

my main takeaway from reading the game's subreddit is that a lot of people don't know what primary weapon means

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

my main takeaway from reading the game's subreddit is that a lot of people don't know what primary weapon means

what does it mean

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Pubbies sure got bad at this game today

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Worf posted:

what does it mean

your primary weapon is the gun that fills the primary weapon slot, like the breaker or defender or slugger or a hypothetical fourth weapon

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Me seeing dude MGing on 5 laughing maniacally: "Wow, looks like this dudes having a ball!"

Seeing another dude MGing on 7+ laughing maniacally: "Dude stop, you're gonna cause a bug breach...."

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Jerkface posted:

The patch notes mentioned a known issue with PS5 friend adds

Yeah...seeing more and more posts pop up as the day goes on. guess it's not just a me thing. Specifically bought and installed it on PS5 so we could shoot bugs together tonight. Booooooooo.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Last night my friends and I did a level 7 exterminate mission and we all filled our strat slots with turrets, mines and Tesla towers. We finished the mission incredibly quickly which is good because we kept dying to our own traps in hilarious ways. It was one of the best missions I’ve done since launch.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

Why, though? A coordinated, experienced team is always going to be more effective than a random group of pubbies, saying you don't want difficulties unless you can tackle them solo is saying that what you really want is for coordinated groups not to have a way to play that they feel is appropriately challenging. It literally has no impact on you at all, and yet you think it's lame for them to be able to do it. That's... I genuinely do not understand that mentality, where someone else having something they can enjoy makes your experience worse.

Because I am good at video games and I like to be able to challenge the hardest difficulties but I am also old and have responsibilities and can't always coordinate friends to play games? There's quickplay in this game, I would like it if I could quickplay on the hardest difficulties and have a reasonable chance at victory. I don't think thats unreasonable.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So glad that I picked this game up just in time to see plenty of bitching about balance changes in the greater gaming space but not soon enough that I had any attachment to any weapons yet. :allears:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Going by what the dev team has said regarding balancing for medium difficulties, it seems like they don't particularly care if there's an rng element to clear 7+. Then again this was one dev claiming this and it could be bullshit, or just not being clear with their intent and going "we also want higher difficulties to always be cleared by a good enough group but don't focus around it at all".

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jerkface posted:

Because I am good at video games and I like to be able to challenge the hardest difficulties but I am also old and have responsibilities and can't always coordinate friends to play games? There's quickplay in this game, I would like it if I could quickplay on the hardest difficulties and have a reasonable chance at victory. I don't think thats unreasonable.

It's kind of unreasonable. If theres a difficulty you can beat with random pubbies, then coordinated teams will want a difficulty above that. 7 is the highest you need to play to do unlocks at any rate.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's kind of unreasonable. If theres a difficulty you can beat with random pubbies, then coordinated teams will want a difficulty above that.

Its absolutely not unreasonable? The only thing having a known group does is give you preknowledge of the skillset of your teammates, but nothing about a PUG means they have to be unskilled or uncoordinated once playing. I play/played a lot of Darktide and its absolutely possible to challenge the highest challenge tier of that game with a PUG. As long as the population running the difficulty is sufficiently skilled. i don't need to win 100% of the time but getting neener neener'd I cant do helldive because I don't have time to coordinate friends is bad imo

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

BitBasher posted:

This game is an outlier in my opinion in that killing things doesn't gain you anything at all and sometimes can be a detriment. There's no exp for kills, enemies don't drop ammo or credits or anything useful. Enemies are the obstacles you need to deal with, not the goal, with the exception of certain specific objectives.

Agreed but imo it's often more fun to shoot the obstacle instead of running away from it.

Honestly I think the game is in a pretty close to good place balance wise, enemies are challenging and there are a lot of fun tools with which to fight them, so it's a bit of a shame that the evolving meta is to ignore all that and just hit the bricks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Worf posted:

It doesn't change.

And you know what, I wonder if that's a small design flaw. Because maybe the higher difficulties would be better if normal enemies would have just 20 or 40% more hp, and in exchange, they wouldn't have to spam constant armored enemies to make up for the difficulty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There’s plenty of other coop games where killing everything that moves is the expectation and there is no way to permanently disengage from enemies. a big reason HD2 is distinct from those games (and I would argue more interesting than them) is the way guerrilla tactics are encouraged. I think the game’s secret sauce is the way patrols, enemy detection, breaches/drops and aggro work at a local level on a big map and it makes for a totally different dynamic than all the games where you’re powerful enough to kill everything that spawns and mostly required to do so

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If flares weren't near impossible to stop then stopping to fight wouldn't be as terrible idea, especially with bugs since you can't even try to blow up the breach or really gun enemies before they're active like you can with the automaton dropships. Pretty sure illuminati is just gonna immediately teleport behind you with how much people are hyping them up as super assholes at this point.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

There’s plenty of other coop games where killing everything that moves is the expectation and there is no way to permanently disengage from enemies. a big reason HD2 is distinct from those games (and I would argue more interesting than them) is the way guerrilla tactics are encouraged. I think the game’s secret sauce is the way patrols, enemy detection, breaches/drops and aggro work at a local level on a big map and it makes for a totally different dynamic than all the games where you’re powerful enough to kill everything that spawns and mostly required to do so

Can you actually juke a patrol/breach hole that’s spotted you so they drop aggro? I’m coming from the Vermintide/Darktide side of things where if they’re coming at you it’s a fight no matter what, I’m still getting used to how things work in regards to the AI here.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jerkface posted:

Its absolutely not unreasonable? The only thing having a known group does is give you preknowledge of the skillset of your teammates, but nothing about a PUG means they have to be unskilled or uncoordinated once playing. I play/played a lot of Darktide and its absolutely possible to challenge the highest challenge tier of that game with a PUG. As long as the population running the difficulty is sufficiently skilled. i don't need to win 100% of the time but getting neener neener'd I cant do helldive because I don't have time to coordinate friends is bad imo

part of your problem may also be the game has been out for less than a month so the typical pug you get dropped into isn't on your elite pro gamesman level yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

drat i wish i had thought of that