Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Democrats should lie more to win IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

capitalizing "great republican party" is weird when its already the gop. he's a weird dude, i'm realizing

he's always trying to rebrand poo poo to his own personal version so he can tell when someone is quoting him and not someone else. reminder he's so utterly narcissistic that he interrupted an interview to confirm that the interviewer was talking about his businesses specifically

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Kalli posted:

Hard to shake the feeling that the southern governors read the temperature correctly and that shipping a bunch of people up north won. The media was more then happy to lean into people's fears, and combine that with the particular say, monstrosity that the NYPD / mayor / governor have gone for, seems to have successfully moved the needle.

I hate to say it, but I think bussing those migrants up north was a genius move on the right wing's part because it brought out a lot of ugly discontent in the Northeast and other blue states. The House and Senate candidates and even the state Governor and AG stage are all having to deal with that. Fear helps push people toward right wing messaging.

I suspect if people felt more economically secure, attitudes towards immigration would soften a bit. I think a lot of people, regardless of skin color, don't like the idea of new "competition" coming in even if that idea is pretty irrational and is not backed up with real data.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
All northern white liberals had to do was not be cowardly racists, but welp

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Eric Adams isn't white.

More substantively, at least Maura Healey said that administration should expedite work petitions so they can find places for people to work legally. Apparently, a hospital in the North Shore of MA is now fully staffed thanks to the migrants. And I thought it was a crappy play anyways in the sense that coastal cities have been hosting immigrants for a long time.

The problem of course is we don't have enough housing in general and migrants are getting unfairly blamed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Eric Adams isn't white.

he is a cop though.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Eric Adams isn't white.

So? I'm sure not all of the voters are white either. Doesn't change the point.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Which is gobsmacking because "the border" is just racism rebranded. Every actual study or analysis of immigration ever shows a massive net benefit to society from immigrants and a massive problem from cutting off Immigration. It's even true of the goddam Roman Empire. (https://acoup.blog/2021/07/16/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-iii-bigotry-and-diversity-at-rome/ )

The left wing failure to fight this issue is just utterly shameful.
This is a point I intuitively agree on, but last time I brought it up to someone in real life they said "what about housing prices" and I didn't have a good response.

Especially in my area housing prices are the number one social problem, and I don't see how immigration wouldn't in practice exacerbate the issue.

That is to say, I feel fighting this issue is harder than you are portraying it to be. I'd be very interested in the simple absolute truthful arguments one could make to support the idea that immigration is necessarily good, because I would like to help spread that idea as much as I can.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Immigration is not the driver for real estate prices.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eiba posted:

This is a point I intuitively agree on, but last time I brought it up to someone in real life they said "what about housing prices" and I didn't have a good response.

Especially in my area housing prices are the number one social problem, and I don't see how immigration wouldn't in practice exacerbate the issue.

That is to say, I feel fighting this issue is harder than you are portraying it to be. I'd be very interested in the simple absolute truthful arguments one could make to support the idea that immigration is necessarily good, because I would like to help spread that idea as much as I can.

The easy counter is "who do you think is building any new houses in your area?" Because that labor is not done by citizens. If you want more, cheaper housing, you want more immigration. Illegal immigrants are not competing to buy houses. They are building them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Which is gobsmacking because "the border" is just racism rebranded. Every actual study or analysis of immigration ever shows a massive net benefit to society from immigrants and a massive problem from cutting off Immigration. It's even true of the goddam Roman Empire. (https://acoup.blog/2021/07/16/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-iii-bigotry-and-diversity-at-rome/ )

The left wing failure to fight this issue is just utterly shameful.

This is what I was getting at. The comment I was replying to was implying being right wing on border stuff could cost Biden the election. Everything I've seen says that most people who strongly object to what he's doing aren't doing so from the left. I wish they were, but the public really sucks on this issue.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 6, 2024

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is what I was getting at. The comment I was replying to was implying being right wing on border stuff could cost Biden the election. Everything I've seen says that most people who strongly object to what he's doing aren't doing so from the left.

I thought there was a good amount of outrage from the left on what he was willing to accept on the border deal before Trump scuttled it.

It's not easy to sell capacity increases for helping litigate and resolve asylum and other applications and clear up backlogs as a big victory, so I get it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Democrats completely ceded the immigration messaging to the right and they have no one to blame for that but themselves. They were clearly hoping to be able to ignore it and it would work it's way out in its own.

Years of red states bussing migrants to blue cities and right wing media screaming at the top of their lungs about immigration and not so much as a peep from the Democrats. They did not and do not have a immigration message of their own.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mustang posted:

Democrats completely ceded the immigration messaging to the right and they have no one to blame for that but themselves. They were clearly hoping to be able to ignore it and it would work it's way out in its own.

Years of red states bussing migrants to blue cities and right wing media screaming at the top of their lungs about immigration and not so much as a peep from the Democrats. They did not and do not have a immigration message of their own.

Like many things, the minute you message for one part of the Democratic coalition, you piss off another part.

Or you could just stand up for what's right and makes sense, but no one rewards you for that. :p

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think it's hard for democrats to realize that it's possible to actually care about "immigration" to the point that it impacts your vote. It's such an obvious boogeyman issue it's difficult to take seriously. Are the evil immigrants going to sneak into your neighborhood and . . . Sell you tacos I guess? Build you a house and do the landscaping?

Why are.you scared of and/or angry about Dora the Explorer (answer without saying anything racist)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don't think Democrats are good at messaging anything. The most coherent one is "at least we're better than Republicans!".

Sad that the only prominent Democrat that I've seen make a point of calling out red states targeting their LGBTQ communities is Gavin loving Newsome.

They couldn't message their way out of a paper bag if their lives depended on it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Jaxyon posted:

They aren't the ones opposing immigration, there are still moderates and conservatives in blue states.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mustang posted:

I want to be clear: you're taking the position that the Democrats, writ large, and the Biden administration in specific, haven't had messaging or policy on immigration?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The easy counter is "who do you think is building any new houses in your area?" Because that labor is not done by citizens. If you want more, cheaper housing, you want more immigration. Illegal immigrants are not competing to buy houses. They are building them.
No one is building houses in my area. The cost of building housing isn't the issue. New housing simply will not be built before our economy collapses through a lack of lower-middle income labor being able to live anywhere near here.

My area is a pretty extreme example, but increased housing prices are an issue in a lot of places, and I don't think the cost of construction labor is ever the driving reason.

I feel like there's an obvious potential solution, but as long as the obvious solution to the housing crisis is clearly not going to happen, it seems like immigration will make that situation worse.

"If things were sane, immigration would always be a net positive," is a hypothetical I can't really sell considering things are manifestly not sane and won't be done well most of the time. "Considering we're run by people who would do things badly, immigration is going to hurt," is the kind of common sense position I would like to be able to better dispute.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, but it won't (intuitively) make it any better either. Immigration very obviously did not cause this problem, but nevertheless it's a problem that immigration would make worse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Eiba posted:

"If things were sane, immigration would always be a net positive," is a hypothetical I can't really sell considering things are manifestly not sane and won't be done well most of the time. "Considering we're run by people who would do things badly, immigration is going to hurt," is the kind of common sense position I would like to be able to better dispute.

The answer is to not concede the idea that you must be run by people who do things badly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Josh Stein is pretty popular then?

He’s made all the right moves political to be a middle of the road, bland, white guy democrat. He also worked with cooper who is insanely popular and will presumably be campaigning for him. He’s received a gift running against this lunatic. Gonna be interesting to see how a Jewish guy runs against someone who thinks the Holocaust was a hoax.

And who also wants to overturn the 19th amendment.

https://x.com/jbendery/status/1765494719772033443?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This guy got Facebook famous for saying the craziest poo poo he could and there’s going to be tons more coming out as the election draws near.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah that is just a crazy connection to make & believe in.

"We're too crowded! They'll take our houses!"

I'm looking around upstate NY and I gotta say: there is a lot of room up here. Build a few hundred thousand homes anywhere you want.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Like many things, the minute you message for one part of the Democratic coalition, you piss off another part.

Or you could just stand up for what's right and makes sense, but no one rewards you for that. :p

Let's dig a little deeper into that, though: which parts of the Democratic coalition would they piss off by having a clearly-stated, more humane policy towards immigration and the border? Would they piss off those parts so much that they wouldn't vote for them in the upcoming election?

Polls suggest, shockingly, that it's mainly Republicans who are getting whipped up into a frenzy over immigration as a major crisis: (Gallup)

quote:

Republicans typically are the subgroup most likely to name immigration as the most important problem, and they are largely responsible for the increase in mentions this month. Currently, 57% of Republicans, up from 37% in January, say immigration is the top problem. Independents show a modest uptick, from 16% in January to 22% now, while there has been no meaningful change among Democrats (9% in January and 10% in February).

Residents of the East (36%) and South (31%) are more likely to say immigration is the biggest U.S. problem than are those living in the Midwest (25%) and West (22%). Southern residents have typically been most likely to regard immigration as the top issue.

Pew:

quote:

Between 2021 and 2022, the share of Republicans citing immigration as a top policy priority rose sharply, from 39% to 67%.

Since then, it increased another 9 points, to 76%. Over this period, Democrats’ views have been fairly stable; today, 39% rate dealing with immigration as a top priority.

This begs the question, who is Biden hoping to win by taking a right-wing line on immigration and the border? And if he manages to attract voters because of his stance on this issue, will it be enough to cover for the voters that he loses because of it (young voters, for example)?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mustang posted:

Bingo

Dems are just awful at messaging and have been for my entire lifetime

In the 90s they had success by being GOP lite but once Clinton was gone that stopped working

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Polls don't have any predictive effect this far out and are just random noise at this point in an election. This has been pointed out many times.

You might as well being reading auguries for all the meaning it has.
I tried looking into this and I couldn't find anything clear one way or another about it. Can you show me a source for that?

I was able to find polling average graphs since 2000. Basically all the recent ones fell into 2 categories:

1. Some elections are very stable and the results from March are basically the same as the results from October.

2. Some start out with a big lead for one candidate, which narrows but they stay ahead.

Bush vs Kerry was the only exception since 2000. Bush started well behind and finished decently ahead.

I found a site which shows June polls to actual results before 2000.

Putting it together, since 1960, the republican has improved from June to actual 12 times and the Democrats only four times. Wide races tend to close and close races tend to stay close. This year appears to be close, so we can expect it to stay close more likely than not. The June leader lost 6 times out of 16, so that gives you some indication of unreliability, too. But they may be unreliable in a predictable way, right?

But then, all of this is just about national popular vote polling and I have no idea about state polls.

I'd love to see other sources on the issue if you have any!

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 6, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FizFashizzle posted:

He’s made all the right moves political to be a middle of the road, bland, white guy democrat. He also worked with cooper who is insanely popular and will presumably be campaigning for him. He’s received a gift running against this lunatic. Gonna be interesting to see how a Jewish guy runs against someone who thinks the Holocaust was a hoax.

And who also wants to overturn the 19th amendment.

https://x.com/jbendery/status/1765494719772033443?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This guy got Facebook famous for saying the craziest poo poo he could and there’s going to be tons more coming out as the election draws near.

yeah there is gonna be god knows what comes out about him closer to the election. i am sure the dems and others have been sitting on alot of finds.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
apparently the ridiculous 1 week cr really was enough time, the house has passed the first budget bill

quote:

The House on Wednesday approved $459 billion in new government spending, a crucial step toward funding federal agencies for the next six months and preventing a partial shutdown this weekend.

The legislation passed by a 339 to 85 vote and now heads to the Senate, which must pass it by midnight Saturday to keep crucial agencies from shuttering when funding lapses. The bill, which was drafted by bipartisan leaders in both chambers, is not expected to face substantial opposition.

But another larger and trickier shutdown deadline lurks just over two weeks from now on March 22, and lawmakers remain fiercely divided over how to fund those agencies and which policies to attach to that legislation.

Still, Congress is now on a realistic path to finally conclude the 2024 fiscal year appropriations process after extending the deadline four times over disagreements within a fractious House Republican conference that led to the historic ousting of then-Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)

“Passing these bills will give us much-needed momentum to finish the next package of spending bills by the March 22 deadline,” Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said on the chamber’s floor Wednesday. “But as I’ve said repeatedly, it will take bipartisan cooperation to finish the job.”

Far-right Republicans in the House had sought to use the appropriations process to significantly curtail spending by prohibiting funding for Planned Parenthood, slash resources for the Education Department, enact rigid new immigration restrictions and claw back some of the money for the White House’s climate agenda.

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) has recently been more direct in defending the pathway he’s charted to ensure the government does not shut down, as a majority of Republicans recognize they would get blamed for it — a hefty political price during an election year where the GOP is fighting to keep and expand their two-vote majority.

Over the past week, Johnson has encouraged his conference to accept that the “singles and doubles” they have scored in the first tranche of funding bills could have turned into grand slams had Republicans not allowed ideological difference on how to fund the government to limit his hands in negotiations with other congressional leaders, all whom agreed on funding levels set by McCarthy and President Biden last year.

“We want to cut spending. We want to limit the size and scope of the federal government. The reality right now is that we have divided government … so we have to be realistic about what we’re able to achieve,” Johnson said Wednesday.

Biden is set to confront the relative progress and brewing impasse during his State of the Union address Thursday while also attempting to lay out his most direct pitch yet to voters for a second term.

But some of his priorities and Congress’s spending debates have become entangled with U.S. support for Ukraine and Israel and immigration debates at the U.S.-Mexico border. Biden and Democrats are eager to send more arms and resources to Ukraine as Russian invaders attempt to push deeper into the country’s territory. The president has also sought to send funds to Israel for its fight against Hamas terrorists but has run into opposition from fellow Democrats concerned about rising civilian death tolls in the Gaza Strip.

Johnson and Republicans say they want to pass border and immigration legislation before sending aid to U.S. allies, and some of those policy pushes, lawmakers say, have clouded the government funding picture. Members of the staunchly conservative House Freedom Caucus have repeatedly argued that Congress should not fund agencies that they believe have contributed to the influx of migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border, ease access to abortions or support LGBTQ and diversity, equity and inclusion measures.

“Republicans will go around and talk about how they scored major wins, how they somehow delivered for the American people. The fact of the matter is we did no such thing,” Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.) said on the House floor. “If any member from the body can come down and explain to the American people in terms they can understand, explain it — what exactly the cuts look like.”

Wednesday’s bill funds roughly 30 percent of the federal government — including the departments of Justice, Transportation, Energy, Agriculture, Commerce, Interior, Veterans Affairs, Housing and Urban Development, and the Environmental Protection Agency, Food and Drug Administration and crucial government research functions — for the rest of the 2024 fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30.

It was the product of two bipartisan compromises in Washington, agreements that have faced substantial scrutiny and threats from far-right legislators.

Last spring, Biden and McCarthy agreed to suspend the nation’s debt ceiling in exchange for restraining federal spending to $1.59 trillion in 2024. House Republicans chafed at the deal, and disagreements over spending ultimately led a band of rebels to oust McCarthy from the speakership even after he directed the House Appropriations Committee to incorporate their demands to cut slash spending by an extra $1 billion.

In a move that riled up House conservatives, McCarthy had also struck an extra $1.2 billion side deal with Biden that top Democratic leaders, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and appropriation chairs from both chambers respected.

Johnson, his replacement, stuck to that deal and then in January made another agreement with Schumer on a top-line discretionary spending amount for the year: $1.7 trillion. Wednesday’s bill covers a portion of that amount. Expensive programs like Social Security and Medicare aren’t included in that total because they are not subject to annual approval by Congress.

Some Republicans were unhappy with that $1.7 trillion total and hoped to attach policy provisions to the legislation as a consolation for not cutting spending more. Those “riders” — so called because the policies “ride along” on often-unrelated legislation — included limits on which items some food stamp recipients could purchase, a crackdown on the availability of abortion medication and a ban on regulations on menthol-flavored cigarettes.

Most of those provisions did not make it into the final legislation, angering conservatives. Littering appropriations bills with culture-war poison pills — as House Republicans had done in versions of spending legislation last year — would have doomed its chances of passage. Vulnerable House Republicans would have shied away from some controversial measures and Democrats in the House and Senate would have opposed it.

The lack of cohesion among Republicans to pass measures through their two-vote majority has forced Johnson, and McCarthy before him, to suspend the rules of the House to dodge procedural holds thrown up by the Freedom Caucus and rely on Democrats to ensure bills pass with two-third support of the House.

“This is a long, methodical process. It is overdue,” Johnson said. “But we are very happy now that we’re finally to the point where we can move beyond it.”

lol, i didn't realize that the bills would only get us to the end of fy2024, it doesn't even get us to november! what an incredibly stupid government

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I want to be clear: you're taking the position that the Democrats, writ large, and the Biden administration in specific, haven't had messaging or policy on immigration?

I didn't say anything about policy. They are clearly failing to message on this issue or they wouldn't have felt like they needed to move to the right in response.

And it's not just immigration they suck at messaging on. Do you think these politically ignorant swing voters with incoherent political beliefs are going to take the time to read up on Democratic policy proposals? The people that spend time doing that don't need convincing.

Republicans have no problem framing issues in an easy to remember way that's echoed by right leaning people from across the country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

Yeah that is just a crazy connection to make & believe in.

"We're too crowded! They'll take our houses!"

I'm looking around upstate NY and I gotta say: there is a lot of room up here. Build a few hundred thousand homes anywhere you want.

Nobody wants to live there though, including immigrants.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mustang posted:

I didn't say anything about policy. They are clearly failing to message on this issue or they wouldn't have felt like they needed to move to the right in response.

And it's not just immigration they suck at messaging on. Do you think these politically ignorant swing voters with incoherent political beliefs are going to take the time to read up on Democratic policy proposals? The people that spend time doing that don't need convincing.

Republicans have no problem framing issues in an easy to remember way that's echoed by right leaning people from across the country.

So, again, are you taking the position that the Democrats aren't "messaging" on immigration? Why would the belief that they have failed to "message" lead to the assumption that they are moving to the right? Do you even understand where Democratic policy proposals are relative to the Republicans?

I promise you, there has been plenty of Democratic "messaging" on immigration, in addition to actual policy. The messaging, like the policy, tends to be reflective of actual functions of reality, as well as the views of their constituents. That it does not reflect the continuously undefined policy you want does not mean they have not done it, and the fact that it is not mediated in a way you find satisfying is not a fault automatically attributable to "the Democrats".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 6, 2024

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

So, again, are you taking the position that the Democrats aren't "messaging" on immigration? Why would the belief that they have failed to "message" lead to the assumption that they are moving to the right? Do you even understand where Democratic policy proposals are relative to the Republicans?

I promise you, there has been plenty of Democratic "messaging" on immigration, in addition to actual policy. The messaging, like the policy, tends to be reflective of actual functions of reality, as well as the views of their constituents. That it does not reflect the continuously undefined policy you want does not mean they have not done it, and the fact that it is not mediated in a way you find satisfying is not a fault automatically attributable to "the Democrats".

What about where democrats are relative to where they were? That's what I understand moving to the right to mean.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

mobby_6kl posted:

I just drove through upstate New York and Vermont and it's absolutely beautiful and would be a lovely place to live with some investment. Some towns there looked lovely and some looked like depressed dumps. You could put money into fixing up the dumps. Too bad the US government doesn't do that sort of thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't think any amount of messaging can work. People get their opinions formed based on information bubbles and outrage bait from your social media of choice; John Oliver and Jon Stewart and Colbert among some of the major liberal voices have debunked so many right wing lies and millions still march happily to pull the lever for R policies and willfully disbelieve any information or facts to the contrary. Whether its leftist youtubers, influences, the government via debates and official statements; the only people left to be convinced are the most painfully misinformation and willfully ignorant people on the face of the planet that have ever existed in all of human history; trying to blame the democrats is like blaming the coast guard for not yelling warnings hard enough when a hurricane rolls in despite all the warnings and official statements through the usual channels they already use that you still choose to ignore.

There is literally no winning, only mitigation; and hoping the people who came to their pre-existing conclusions did so on the right side of the historical fence.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Olga Gurlukovich posted:

What about where democrats are relative to where they were? That's what I understand moving to the right to mean.

It's a claim that only makes sense if you are ignoring actual changes in facts regarding immigration programs, congressional control, or constituent views to focus entirely on a wholly undefined "messaging" opposed to an undefined preferred position. To recap, again:

Leon provided a summary of problems with the current asylum policy here:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The border is pretty much boned until we fix the legal immigration process or people stop wanting to come to America. You can try to militarize the border and that might make it more orderly, but it is just going to result in the pre-2016 status quo of people sneaking across en masse instead of turning themselves in at the border - which is worse both in terms of the journey for the people and also likely to result in more illegal immigrants untracked and unsupported in the U.S. for the people who want to keep them out. Although, I guess it would be a success of stopping videos of huge amounts of people turning themselves in at border crossings if that was your goal.

The main problems with the border right now are:

- The ways to legally get into the U.S. for the sole purpose of making money/improving your quality of life are almost all totally shut out and the few that remain either require an employer sponsor or take 7+ years.

- Claiming asylum will stop you from getting kicked out of the U.S. temporarily, but "my quality of life would be much higher" doesn't qualify for asylum.

- This results in basically everyone claiming asylum because it is the only way to not get turned around right away.

- The asylum process was always slow, but it was also only meant to process groups that are 1/10th the size of them coming across right now.

- Trying to crack down on all the people claiming asylum "just" because it would significantly improve their life or economic situation leads to people with real asylum claims getting massively screwed.

- The asylum process has become the weird de facto official immigration process and it basically encourages people to mass the border and lie, which requires huge amounts of effort to handle and verify.

There are several options you can do:

- Fix the normal immigration process and guest worker/economic green card/H1-B Visa processes. They are currently capped at 85k per year, which is less than 10% of the total demand each year. That will allow more people into the country and take the huge weight off of the asylum process to better handle actual asylum cases.

- Make it basically impossible and horribly punishing to attempt to cross the border illegally or to try and claim asylum unless you have 100% proof and hope that doing this for a period of years will crush demand by making sure you have successful enforcement as high as possible so people think it isn't worth it.

- Massively expand the asylum system to meet capacity and basically just use a really broken and unwieldy system that was not intended for it as the "unofficial official" immigration process.

Several of those things are basically impossible and nobody wants to do all three of them at the same time, so :shrug:. Instead, we just kind of hobble along with an outdated system and every attempt to update it since 1987 (37 years ago!!!) has failed.

Many Republicans just object to the idea of letting more of the "wrong" people into the country, so expanding the legal processes is a non-starter and can't even be negotiated. Most Democrats want to be compassionate and help people in the immediate-term, so the focus has been entirely on asylum-seekers and how to basically use the asylum process for an unintended purpose.

That sort of makes sense in the short-term, but it also hobbles the legal process in the long-term and results in both sides basically just attempting to inefficiently use the asylum process to weaponize their preferred political outcomes at the expense of legal and undocumented immigrants and actual asylum seekers who all get stuck in one inefficient process together because people kind of gave up on comprehensive immigration reform. It also teaches people who want to come to America that they need to use the asylum process and lie instead of going the legal route because the legal process is a complete waste of time unless you have 7-12 years, some money, and a lot patience to gamble that it works out for you.

And discusses how there are perverse incentives in that system here:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They technically do. The people claiming asylum, whether they are being detained directly, put up in hotels, or placed with a sponsor, all get housing. Even the people being detained can leave and be deported whenever they want, but they are there voluntarily to try and wait out the process.

I really doubt most immigrants come to the U.S. with the dream of being a welfare queen. I don't have any official surveys that prove that, though. Even slaving in the kitchen somewhere for $13 an hour under the table is likely a massive improvement in their income from places like Venezuela where the median salary is $142 per month.

The vast majority are coming for financial reasons, but that isn't a valid reason to claim asylum or get a green card on its own. So, they try to come in via the asylum process and hope that the backlog/inability to verify whether they really are going to be persecuted will let them stay. The next biggest chunk are actual legitimate asylum seekers who are looking to escape imminent bodily harm.

If the median income in your country in $142 per month, then working 60 hour weeks for $13/hour allows you to make 21x the median income in your home country and live an okay-ish life* in the U.S. with enough money to send back home via remittances that helps your family live a solid life there. That is why most of the people coming are single men under 45. They are coming for work and economic opportunity to provide back home and possibly bring family with them.

*(Relative to where you came from at least. Staying in a house with 8 other dudes and working 60 hours per week isn't exactly the dream scenario, but that is a small price to pay for the chance to make 21x the median salary in your home country and support your family.)

and Main Paineframe discussed actual burdens on the extant system here:

Main Paineframe posted:

The border authorities really are getting overwhelmed, though. That's why his "shut down the border" offer is paired with literally doubling the current asylum officer workforce and increase the number of immigration judges by about 50%, so they can start whittling down the ~1 million pending asylum applications still in the queue and clear the massive years-long immigration court backlog. Especially since polls are showing that voters think immigration is one of the most important issues to them coming into this election.

1600 new asylum officers and 375 new immigration judges doesn't sound like much, but the US currently has 1600 asylum officers and ~600 immigration judges, total.

The average wait time to get an asylum application heard right now is around four years. The system desperately needs either more resources, a reduction of the number of people coming into it, or a major rework to decrease the administrative workload of each case.

An insistence that the party is "moving to the right" and "failing to message" that is detached from, at a minimum, the actual reality of the policy subject, and the actual policies being proposed, and the actual messaging occurring around these policies, is defined entirely by opposition, embracing the counterpoint framing it pretends to object to. And by demanding a discussion in terms of "moving" and "messaging" and "losing," you obligate us to re-explain the universe to you each and every time.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a claim that only makes sense if you are ignoring actual changes in facts regarding immigration programs, congressional control, or constituent views to focus entirely on a wholly undefined "messaging" opposed to an undefined preferred position. To recap, again:

Leon provided a summary of problems with the current asylum policy here:

And discusses how there are perverse incentives in that system here:

and Main Paineframe discussed actual burdens on the extant system here:

An insistence that the party is "moving to the right" and "failing to message" that is detached from, at a minimum, the actual reality of the policy subject, and the actual policies being proposed, and the actual messaging occurring around these policies, is defined entirely by opposition, embracing the counterpoint framing it pretends to object to. And by demanding a discussion in terms of "moving" and "messaging" and "losing," you obligate us to re-explain the universe to you each and every time.

It sounds like they are in fact moving to the right, and you guys are just saying they're doing it for good reasons, which you frame as "actual reality"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Give it twenty years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Olga Gurlukovich posted:

It sounds like they are in fact moving to the right, and you guys are just saying they're doing it for good reasons, which you frame as "actual reality"

You have yet to convince me that you know much of anything about Biden administration border policy and messaging, tbh. Essentially nothing in the post you're responding to consists of moving to the right - the summaries there, to extremely sloppily paraphrase, consist of "by hook or crook get more resources to process migrants" and "use the asylum system as a dumb clunky workaround to let people in because anything else is hard and requires significant legislative action in an environment where Democratic majorities have been slim to nonexistent". If you're parsing that as moving to the right I think you're looking for what you want to see.

Here's a couple bullet points of Biden admin immigration actions on the border, just things off the top of my head:

- significant improvement in handling of unaccompanied children over Obama, unimaginable improvement over Trump. I've posted rather a shitload about ORR ongoing stats and efforts in the past, I'm not going to do it again in full detail on the phone to rebut people who aren't even giving an example of D messaging.
- huge and ongoing moves to alternatives to detention, which is an absolutely tremendous deal for people awaiting review of their asylum claims and other immigration paperwork
- swinging immigration judges back from Sessions' frankly evil interpretation to more generous towards immigrants than Obama
- using presidential authority to expand emergency refugee claims about as much as they think they can get away with
- humanitarian mitigation and improved processing of refugee camps on the Mexican side of the border, a problem vastly exacerbated by the Trump admin

This list is not comprehensive because I'm just tossing off things I happen to recall, but anyone who hasn't heard of any of these might want to consider why that is and how that impacts their feelings about D handling of immigration.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Majorian posted:

This begs the question, who is Biden hoping to win by taking a right-wing line on immigration and the border? And if he manages to attract voters because of his stance on this issue, will it be enough to cover for the voters that he loses because of it (young voters, for example)?

This is the gambit Dems take every time on every issue.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

The answer is to not concede the idea that you must be run by people who do things badly.
That involves either ignoring reality or advocating for much more radical change than most people are going to think is possible.

Basically it's no longer a simple argument that immigration is good if we need to say that immigration will be good if only we do things very differently. The way things are done has inertia and immigration is (perceived as) an immediate issue.

If services are strained due to a combination of immigration and mismanagement, it's going to be a lot easier to imagine ways of stopping immigration than ways of stopping mismanagement.

And we're still talking about messaging, right? I kind of take issue with the idea that immigration wouldn't bother people so universally if Democrats hadn't dropped the ball on messaging. I'm not sure the Democrats have ever had the combination of power and political will to set things up for immigration to be painless. And so immigration will be painful for some people, in fact. And so people are going to view immigration as a problem. I don't think there's anything that could have just been said to fix that.

At least that's the impression I'm getting when I try to take your position and present the idea that immigration is always a net positive to "liberal" well meaning people who are nevertheless receptive to the conventional wisdom that immigration is a big problem.

What I'd ideally like here is not to argue that you are wrong, but to be provided with better rhetorical tools so that I can defend your position in other contexts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
In other news, white house fact sheet - a common form of messaging that then serves as a basic chassis to promulgate things to the media and the internet - on drug price reform and such:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...tect-consumers/